CFZ Proposing a new rule I would like to see added

SexyDexy52

Reaction score
I know that this won’t happen because the NFL doesn’t really care about fairness but a fair well officiated game is something I hear fans scream for each and every week. If Vegas can catch people cheating counting cards etc in real time, then the NFL can catch players violating the rules. It’s just a matter on whether they actually care to have a fair product or not.

With that said, I’d like to add, that in my opinion a rule should be added that if a play is under review and a blatant penalty is seen that effects the outcome of the play then that penalty can be called by the replay official. It just makes sense to me, that is the official can overturn a ruling on the field of a touchdown, first down etc then they should also be able to hold someone breaking the rules accountable as well.

In this case, I believe it was Blankenship (LB for Philly) that would be called for PI on the Schoonmaker TD review. Dallas gets the ball at the 1 yard line 1st and goal. As well as the ruling on the field being overturned.

The Philly LB was tackling him well before the ball got there which is the definition of defensive pass interference, he wasn’t going for the ball as his arms were wrapped around Schoon while the ball was traveling through the air. Watch the replay and it’s obvious, the replay official should be able to make that call.

I’m not saying this because of what happened yesterday but because too often we see a blatant penalty that wasn’t called during the replay process. The replay process is supposed to correct mistakes made on the field by the other officials, so this rule I am proposing is well within the scope of the current replay process we currently have.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
I know that this won’t happen because the NFL doesn’t really care about fairness but a fair well officiated game is something I hear fans scream for each and every week. If Vegas can catch people cheating counting cards etc in real time, then the NFL can catch players violating the rules. It’s just a matter on whether they actually care to have a fair product or not.

With that said, I’d like to add, that in my opinion a rule should be added that if a play is under review and a blatant penalty is seen that effects the outcome of the play then that penalty can be called by the replay official. It just makes sense to me, that is the official can overturn a ruling on the field of a touchdown, first down etc then they should also be able to hold someone breaking the rules accountable as well.

In this case, I believe it was Blankenship (LB for Philly) that would be called for PI on the Schoonmaker TD review. Dallas gets the ball at the 1 yard line 1st and goal. As well as the ruling on the field being overturned.

The Philly LB was tackling him well before the ball got there which is the definition of defensive pass interference, he wasn’t going for the ball as his arms were wrapped around Schoon while the ball was traveling through the air. Watch the replay and it’s obvious, the replay official should be able to make that call.

I’m not saying this because of what happened yesterday but because too often we see a blatant penalty that wasn’t called during the replay process. The replay process is supposed to correct mistakes made on the field by the other officials, so this rule I am proposing is well within the scope of the current replay process we currently have.
The officials are either incompetent or corrupt. They miss calls against dallas that are game changing like Parsons being held and PI that are then called against Dallas in ticky tack ways. There needs to be more ability to have blatant miss calls reviewed. Otherwise we have either incompetence or corruption. I believe the game is fixed by officials. No other explanation.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They'll never do this because a) penalties are subjective and b) you'd have to throw a flag on every play that gets reviewed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I love the idea in theory, however it feels like a slippery slope and may even give the league more ability to fix games. You can find absolutely anything via penalty in a replay if you want to. Plus the league tried to make penalties reviewable a couple years ago and it went terribly.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
With the camera angles and technology they have today, we only need 1 ref on the field, and he/she is only there to relay the messages received from the eyes in the sky. He doesn't even need to be on the field, the PA announcer could do it.

aikemirv

Reaction score

I agree with that and would like to add. I was watching a game yesterday and the defender went to punch the ball and instead it was a direct punch on the forearm of the ball carrier. This should be reviewable as not a fumble. You can't just haul off and punch people in the NFL with a closed fist

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The officials are either incompetent or corrupt. They miss calls against dallas that are game changing like Parsons being held and PI that are then called against Dallas in ticky tack ways. There needs to be more ability to have blatant miss calls reviewed. Otherwise we have either incompetence or corruption. I believe the game is fixed by officials. No other explanation.
No other explanation? Do you really believe NFL games are fixed? I don’t think you do, but let’s assume for a moment you actually do believe it. Why would you follow the NFL?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
With the camera angles and technology they have today, we only need 1 ref on the field, and he/she is only there to relay the messages received from the eyes in the sky. He doesn't even need to be on the field, the PA announcer could do it.
I have also floated this basic premise. You still need some on the field refs IMO.

If you really wanted to have as fair a system as possible, you have a panel of three officials for each game in a room with all the technology looking at every play as it happens. Of course, they all need to be well trained on what the rules really mean. Their vote is the ultimate decision & they are not in contact with or influenced by the league during games. Members of the panels are not set, but rather assigned randomly so the same people aren't always working together.

They make the ultimate decision about everything regarding rules enforcement.

Also, in the interest of time, maybe some infractions should accumulate. For example, an offensive holding away from the play was seen in review. We didn't stop play to call & enforce something that didn't really affect the play but rather each sideline is notified. At some point, a cumulative penalty is assessed. Something along those lines.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If the game is fixed against the Cowboys then why did they call so many penalties on the Eagles that final drive and give Dallas a chance from the 6? Maybe the PI call because it was so obvious, but they could have easily ignored the roughing call.

I think the more reasonable answer is that the officials are pretty bad across the board and every fan base believes they are out to get their team.

Mark

Reaction score
Once the NFL officially endorsed gambling - something all respectable sports organizations gasped & clutched pearls over for a hundred years - the game we grew up with was all over.

I hate to break it to some, but billion-dollar gambling organizations are not run by altar boys. (Despite some of them having been family-pressured into it as kids. ;-) )

Where there is THAT much money changing hands each week, only the most naïve among us would believe that powerful, well-placed people are not out angling for a piece of the action, and doing everything possible to increase their odds of success.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The comment that has been made for decades, "You can call holding on every play," should indicate several aspects of this game and league.

1. If this is true, then the rule either needs to be changed, or eliminated. The fact the league can agree this is a continuous infraction should signify the rule is wrong, or the rule is not enforced to the degree where players and coaches will change their behavior.

2. The capriciousness with which this rule is enforced indicates the league doesn't truly care. This occurs all over the field by many players and positions. If there was an actual concern, then the league would be max attentive to the infraction and the subsequent penalty.

Unless...

3. There is another aspect to this which will go unsaid. The rule allows the league to use these penalties to coordinate the results and manipulate the fanbase by controlling who wins and who loses.

I find that difficult to believe. And yet this game has grown to a height in my lifetime that the money is astronomical. Gambling, and the ancillary factions which that implies could very well be manipulating the results.

Think that isn't possible? Go to Vegas and play roulette. They have added a third green 0 to change the odds for the player. The house usually wins.

Can that be said about the league? Does the house usually win?