CFZ Proposing a new rule I would like to see added

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That makes the game too long and that was the issue when replay first came out
There is no such thing as a game being too long. NFL fans would watch if games where 5 hours long. Advertisers would love it. You think CBS would prefer the monster ratings of Cowboys/Chiefs or the middling ratings of 60 minutes and America's Got Talent or whatever other lame shows that follow football on Sundays.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a game being too long. NFL fans would watch if games where 5 hours long. Advertisers would love it. You think CBS would prefer the monster ratings of Cowboys/Chief or the middling ratings of 60 minutes and America's Got Talent or whatever other lame shows that follow football on Sundays.
That's fine how you feel but I know that was one of the issues, we want the right call but fans also want to see the game

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
For the 1001st time... people used to say the same thing about Jason Peters. They get a cue from the QB and move exactly when the ball starts getting snapped. It's been video reviewed and proven it isn't false start. Lane Johnson has been doing it for a decade now. It does look like he's moving early but he isnt
Ok. You sound like you’ve seen it for yourself so show me because I’ve seen him move first with my 20/20. But I’ll watch your video.

Incidentally, how come the other lineman don’t get to know the secret snap count?

I paused it when the ball was still and he had already moved. Maybe he lied to you? I guess the refs believe him too.

The point is don’t call a bs one on our guy on a possible game winning possession while letting some of his go.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Incidentally, how come the other lineman don’t get to know the secret snap count?

I paused it when the ball was still and he had already moved. Maybe he lied to you? I guess the refs believe him too.

The point is don’t call a bs one on our guy on a possible game winning possession while letting some of his go.

If Johnson and Trent Williams played for the Cowboys they'd both be penalized out of the league by now.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't say it would be easy.. but I think it's doable. They could even implement a "proximity" rule and state that for a penalty to be called on review it would have to have occurred within X yards of the point of the play. Meaning, holding 20 yards behind the play gets ignored. Holding at the point of attack or as a defender is closing in on the QB gets called. Or basically if the infraction doesn't show up within the frame of the review then it didn't happen. The replay official can't ask for a wide angle view of the whole field to see if there might have been a foul somewhere else that didn't affect the play.

The only truly unbiased solution is to implement computerized officiating with sensors all over the uniforms of the players to determine when there is sufficient "grip PSI" to call holding. Or sufficient impact to call PI. Or sensors in the ball to determine when it crosses the goal line then sync it with the sensors in the knee pads of the ballcarriers. The technology would be expensive as hell but it would be glorious! And it will never happen.
I like the line you are on and you’re right that there’s no true unbiased solution. I wonder if the nfl is doing enough to ensure the best officials and officiating takes the field. Whether it’s training, more pay, and/or more performance-based approach to what officials take the field.

In the end, the officiating is bad, but I haven’t really seen it decide a game. For the most part anyway.

Salud!

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
If Johnson and Trent Williams played for the Cowboys they'd both be penalized out of the league by now.
Yep. It reminds me of when Ware would actually time it perfect, and replays confirmed this fact, and they’d call him offsides.

Normally on a 3rd and short. (Made that up, but seems plausible)

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yep. It reminds me of when Ware would actually time it perfect, and replays confirmed this fact, and they’d call him offsides.

Normally on a 3rd and short. (Made that up, but seems plausible)
Yeah they would get Ware for that 4-5 times a season. He was too quick off the ball for the refs many times. Sometimes the refs can't wrap their minds around the sheer athletic talent of some of these guys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I believe they should at least look at it this way if they're reviewing a play whether it was a touchdown or not and then they noticed that there was a an egregious foul they can come back and say it wasn't a touchdown however the defender clearly passed interfered and kept them from getting in they should be able to then throw the flag they shouldn't be able to look all around the field for a bunch of flags every single play but if you're already in replay for specific play and you notice on that play that something egregious that affected the play and could affect the outcome of the game they should be able to call it.. And yes in this case it would have been for us but there'll be others it'll be against us but this was too egregious but we tried this before with the pass interference stuff and the rest decided to no enforce the rule that the league told them to review the plays they review it and still not reverse it or not actually called pass interference when it was clear because they didn't like the rules they don't like being told what to do the kind of their own little gang like a mob...

Creeper

Reaction score
We are never going to see this rule change. And I believe that the refs saw that play as incidental contact, which is why there was no flag. The rule change needed is that looking back for the ball should not absolve either player from egregious contact before the ball arrives. The replay clearly showed that Schoonmaker was going to the ground before teh ball arrived. At the same time. Blankenship was on the back of his legs. This has to be interference whether Blankenship was looking for the ball or not. The receiver has a right to the path to the ball. So does the defender but he can;t go through the receiver to get to the ball.

Someone on Twitter brought up an interesting point. The receiver has to demonstrate control of the ball through the process of going to the ground but on this play he is ruled down before he finished the process of going to the ground. There is a bit of a contradiction in these rules. For example, If Schoonmaker dropped the ball when he hit the ground, it would be ruled incomplete even though he was already ruled down when his knee hit.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Ok. You sound like you’ve seen it for yourself so show me because I’ve seen him move first with my 20/20. But I’ll watch your video.

I guess you can think the league lets him cheat for a decade now. Coaches often submit video evidence for the NFL to review and if he was truly moving early they would have shut it down a decade ago when he learned the technique from Jason Peters. I don't exactly know what the cue is for him to get the timing down perfectly but he is easily the best RT in the game and has been for years. I'll see if I can find the video. I can't remember if it was a "Baldy Breakdown" or someone else but it's not a false start. It's the best RT in the league having his position down to a science.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Just get rid of all penalties except personal fouls and pre snap penalties.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
The easiest way to overcome this is to have a penalty challenge (separate from the normal challenege). Give coaches 1 each half. Any penalty is reviewable and challengeable throwing the penalty challenge flag (which can be orange since red and yellow are already taken). There is zero reason why a penalty can't be reviewed in the nfl. Multi billion dollar industry and you can't even challenge penalties. Absurd.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I guess you can think the league lets him cheat for a decade now. Coaches often submit video evidence for the NFL to review and if he was truly moving early they would have shut it down a decade ago when he learned the technique from Jason Peters. I don't exactly know what the cue is for him to get the timing down perfectly but he is easily the best RT in the game and has been for years. I'll see if I can find the video. I can't remember if it was a "Baldy Breakdown" or someone else but it's not a false start. It's the best RT in the league having his position down to a science.
Is it possible he false starts some? Because I can pause the tape and see the ball still while he has already moved on more than one.

But if you say it’s not possible again I’ll just go with that.