Pros and Cons: K'Lavon Chaisson

vaquerosdedallas

Reaction score
Hes Taco 2.0...looks likeTarzan plays like Jane
0 production

Jane who?

Chaisson is an athletic freak at defensive end. He is a guy that you line up on the weak side and allow him to use his athleticism to win against offensive tackles. Chaisson can use his length to his advantage to keep offensive lineman from getting in on him. At times, he shows the ability to hold off tackles with one arm allowing him to make a play on a ball carrier with his free arm.

Chaisson is a bendy edge defender, he can dip under tackles with good balance. His first step can be lethal against tackles coming out of their stance, puts pressure on lineman to hurry through their sets. As good as the first step is for him, closing on ball carriers pops as well. He shows no problems with backside pursuit, he will also shoot gaps that really disrupts offenses.--DraftWire

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I wonder if Henderson and Chaisson are both on the board, who they take ?

dallas72

Reaction score
Jane who?

Chaisson is an athletic freak at defensive end. He is a guy that you line up on the weak side and allow him to use his athleticism to win against offensive tackles. Chaisson can use his length to his advantage to keep offensive lineman from getting in on him. At times, he shows the ability to hold off tackles with one arm allowing him to make a play on a ball carrier with his free arm.

Chaisson is a bendy edge defender, he can dip under tackles with good balance. His first step can be lethal against tackles coming out of their stance, puts pressure on lineman to hurry through their sets. As good as the first step is for him, closing on ball carriers pops as well. He shows no problems with backside pursuit, he will also shoot gaps that really disrupts offenses.--DraftWire
All that sounds great but his production was 0...Dallas needs production w the #17 pick not a project

cnuball21

Reaction score
I wonder if Henderson and Chaisson are both on the board, who they take ?

I would take Henderson. He arguably played LSU tougher than any CB in in CFB late year and has solid numbers.

1st round athlete + 1st round production.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I probably watched the least amount of college football in 15 years this past year so besides some of the prospects I am pretty uneducated on most players. Watching Chaisson on highlights (I know highlights can be fools gold) he just jumps off the screen. With his burst, age, and upside that is a guy you see in the top 10. I will need to watch and read more of him. He looks a little small in the highlights but his measurements look ok and he is still very young to fill out. I liked what I saw.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I probably watched the least amount of college football in 15 years this past year so besides some of the prospects I am pretty uneducated on most players. Watching Chaisson on highlights (I know highlights can be fools gold) he just jumps off the screen. With his burst, age, and upside that is a guy you see in the top 10. I will need to watch and read more of him. He looks a little small in the highlights but his measurements look ok and he is still very young to fill out. I liked what I saw.

About the same size as Clay Matthews.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
He's on the list (Chaisson) of 4-5 prospects that could/should be right in our range. Corner, DE, Safeties, DT and WR we are certainly gonna have options at # 17. With Dix now signed, lessens the need for one of the two Safeties at 17. Will see if they go after Griffin or not. Miracle if Kinlaw is there. Do they have to go corner at 17 or could wait till round 2 ? And would they see the value if one of the big 3 receiver's made it to 17.
I feel better about somebody falling to that spot, with the Safety spot being the lesser of the needs now. (Still a need as I'm not that high on Dix, but a lesser need none the less).

cnuball21

Reaction score
I was literally just doing some research on him, here’s his combine numbers, a overview, and his pros and cons:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/k'lavon-chaisson?id=32194348-4103-1652-cb42-0c501912b1a9

6’3” 254lbs seems a little lite for a DE, Quinn is 265 and got pushed around A LOT last year. Quinn was terrible against the run and we can’t afford to have another guy like him on this roster.

Not worried about his size, he can easily add 10+ pounds...I’m worried about the lack of production.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Chaisson or Henderson would both be welcomed additions. But the Gregory situation is a factor. If he is reinstated, allowed to participate in training camp he’s going to take a lot of the snaps at DE that would likely go to Chaisson. Obviously no one knows what’s going to happen with Gregory but he’s a factor.

On the other hand, if you view Henderson as a day one starter with great upside it would be hard to pass on him of he’s there.

cnuball21

Reaction score
29.5 impact plays (TFL + sacks + FF) in 24 games is not bad.

Danielle Hunter has just 4.5 sacks in 26 games in college (27.5 impact plays).

3 seasons and 19 career TFLs and 9.5 sacks. Great 1st rounders have that in 1 season.

Hunter is a huge outlier and the exception not the norm. He was also nowhere near a top 17 pick.

Madtowner

Reaction score
3 seasons and 19 career TFLs and 9.5 sacks. Great 1st rounders have that in 1 season.

Hunter is a huge outlier and the exception not the norm. He was also nowhere near a top 17 pick.
To be fair, he played 2 seasons plus 1 game. Tore his ACL in first game of season his true sophomore year against Miami.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Saying “3 seasons and [...]” is a disingenuous take.

• Not many college freshman are full time starters their first season (see below)
  • He played one (1) game his sophomore year before blowing out his knee
  • To try and treat his junior season as anything more than just his second season of college football is ridiculous
Von Miller had 2 sacks his freshman year; 3.5 his sophomore year

morasp

Reaction score
He's ranked sixth overall at NFL, he probably wouldn't make it past the Falcons but if he fell to us it would be outstanding value at a position of need. Plus, we need more smart players:

Strengths
  • Wears the 18 jersey, given to high-character leader
  • Good lower-body thickness for a longer frame
  • Smart player on and off the field
  • Very quick laterally and up the field off snap
  • Tremendously agile and flexible
  • Has two-hand swipe and rapid inside-spin counter
  • Hides play-side shoulder, dips and elongates around the corner for wins
  • Inside counters are low, smooth and dangerous
  • Converts speed to power with long-arm bull-rush
  • Consistently hits quarterback on T/E twists
  • Range to disrupt the mesh-point against zone-read
  • Easy change-of-direction talent to chase in all directions

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
He's ranked sixth overall at NFL, he probably wouldn't make it past the Falcons but if he fell to us it would be outstanding value at a position of need. Plus, we need more smart players:

Strengths
  • Wears the 18 jersey, given to high-character leader
  • Good lower-body thickness for a longer frame
  • Smart player on and off the field
  • Very quick laterally and up the field off snap
  • Tremendously agile and flexible
  • Has two-hand swipe and rapid inside-spin counter
  • Hides play-side shoulder, dips and elongates around the corner for wins
  • Inside counters are low, smooth and dangerous
  • Converts speed to power with long-arm bull-rush
  • Consistently hits quarterback on T/E twists
  • Range to disrupt the mesh-point against zone-read
  • Easy change-of-direction talent to chase in all directions

They signed Dante Fowler. They might be more interested in CJ Henderson now.