Pros and Cons: K'Lavon Chaisson

cnuball21

Reaction score
Saying “3 seasons and [...]” is a disingenuous take.

• Not many college freshman are full time starters their first season (see below)
  • He played one (1) game his sophomore year before blowing out his knee
  • To try and treat his junior season as anything more than just his second season of college football is ridiculous
Von Miller had 2 sacks his freshman year; 3.5 his sophomore year

That’s fair...the let’s just look at his “best” season which was last year. His overall numbers are mediocre.

Miller? You can cut his TFL / sack numbers in half from his best year and it’s still better than Chaissons.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That’s fair...the let’s just look at his “best” season which was last year. His overall numbers are mediocre.

Miller? You can cut his TFL / sack numbers in half from his best year and it’s still better than Chaissons.

Right, you ignored the point that Miller didn’t do squat his first two college seasons.

Chaisson’s freshman year was right online with Miller’s; he blows out his knee after one game the next season; his junior was effectively his sophomore year.

You can say you wish there was more production to hang your hat on, but to be over-critical and not consider context is unreasonable.

No, he’s not likely Von Miller, but Miller didn’t explode until his third full season his junior year.

You’re trying to treat his three years as if he’s an 8 year NFL vet looking back at his production his past three years. College freshman don’t typically dominate, which was the point in bringing up Von Miller.

Sydla

Reaction score
Remember when Ramsey was gonna suck in the NFL because he didn't have a lot of interceptions and passes defended in college?

Good times.

I'll take Chaisson. Yes, he doesn't have eye popping production but he has a skill set that few players at end have in this draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Right, you ignored the point that Miller didn’t do squat his first two college seasons.

Chaisson’s freshman year was right online with Miller’s; he blows out his knee after one game the next season; his junior was effectively his sophomore year.

You can say you wish there was more production to hang your hat on, but to be over-critical and not consider context is unreasonable.

No, he’s not likely Von Miller, but Miller didn’t explode until his third full season his junior year.

You’re trying to treat his three years as if he’s an 8 year NFL vet looking back at his production his past three years. College freshman don’t typically dominate, which was the point in bringing up Von Miller.

Agree, Miller did little his first 2 years. But he he completely exploded his last 2 and destroyed the combine.

I can’t control the kids injuries...probably another concern that he was injured in 2 of 3 years. We can talk about that too if we want.

I like Chaisons traits...I really do and think he has potential but in the top 20 I want athlete + production as I’m trying to maximize the chance of hitting.

For perspective, Chaison had 35 pressures this past season. Baun had 55 on likely far less snaps due to being off the ball more. My concern stems from why is there not more if he’s so good?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Remember when Ramsey was gonna suck in the NFL because he didn't have a lot of interceptions and passes defended in college?

Good times.

I'll take Chaisson. Yes, he doesn't have eye popping production but he has a skill set that few players at end have in this draft.

Good times.

Whoever was saying that about Ramsey is out of their mind. Using interceptions to measure a CB is dumb as dirt...BJ just made bank and he doesn’t get a lot of picks.

Ramsey didn’t either in college, but if you looked big picture his numbers were rock solid. His last year, his completion percentage against was around 50% and he gave up 1 TD all year while playing multiple positions. He was also PFFs hugest grading CB prospect coming out, so the production was there.

This comparison is completely irrelevant IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score
Whoever was saying that about Ramsey is out of their mind. Using interceptions to measure a CB is dumb as dirt...BJ just made bank and he doesn’t get a lot of picks.

Ramsey didn’t either in college, but if you looked big picture his numbers were rock solid. His last year, his completion percentage against was around 50% and he gave up 1 TD all year while playing multiple positions. He was also PFFs hugest grading CB prospect coming out, so the production was there.

This comparison is completely irrelevant IMO.

It's not really irrelevant because you are using college production to discredit a guy like guys discredited Ramsey.

And Chaisson rates very high in many draft guides. For example, the official NFL combine site gave him a 6.88 rating........... Ramsey got a 7.0

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's not really irrelevant because you are using college production to discredit a guy like guys discredited Ramsey.

And Chaisson rates very high in many draft guides. For example, the official NFL combine site gave him a 6.88 rating........... Ramsey got a 7.0

But Ramsey did have production in college...unless your just using interceptions which is wild IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score
But Ramsey did have production in college...unless your just using interceptions which is wild IMO.

You are missing the point. So continue on discrediting Chaisson for not have enough sacks in college.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You are missing the point. So continue on discrediting Chaisson for not have enough sacks in college.[/QUOT

It’s not just sacks, bc I think looking at that only isn’t a good indicator either.

Sacks, TFLs, PFF grade and pressures were low.

There are DTs in the class with as many pressures.

I get the point.

cnuball21

Reaction score
[/

It’s not just sacks, bc I think looking at that only isn’t a good indicator either.

Sacks, TFLs, PFF grade and pressures were low.

There are DTs in the class with as many pressures.

I get the point

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Agree, Miller did little his first 2 years. But he he completely exploded his last 2 and destroyed the combine.

I can’t control the kids injuries...probably another concern that he was injured in 2 of 3 years. We can talk about that too if we want.

I like Chaisons traits...I really do and think he has potential but in the top 20 I want athlete + production as I’m trying to maximize the chance of hitting.

For perspective, Chaison had 35 pressures this past season. Baun had 55 on likely far less snaps due to being off the ball more. My concern stems from why is there not more if he’s so good?

I found some random PFF article that states Chaisson had 600 snaps this past season. I can’t seem to find anything on Baun.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I found some random PFF article that states Chaisson had 600 snaps this past season. I can’t seem to find anything on Baun.

per PFF:

LB ZACK BAUN, WISCONSIN
Whether it was as a pass-rusher or in coverage, Baun looked like a different player from the one we saw in 2018. Playing in an outside linebacker role where he drops into coverage about 20% of the time, Baun looked equally capable in both regards. He racked up 52 pressures to go along with a pick and two pass breakups. While Baun is undersized, his skillset is eerily reminiscent of former Badger Joe Schobert, who’s turned into one of the best off-ball linebackers in the NFL.

rikolai

Reaction score
After watching some tape on several guys in our range and then watching interviews with each-this guy was the standout to me. He's one of the youngest in the draft but came off as the most confident and no question bothered or stumped him. He offers a skill set that commands a premium if he hits.

I know the secondary is desperate for help but adding a player with #17 isn't going to turn that weakness into a strength. But if you hit on a dynamic pass rusher opposite DLaw, all of a sudden your rag tag secondary starts to look good.

This will be the guy I'm hoping for on April 23, so expect the Falcons to take him at #16

reddyuta

Reaction score
After watching some tape on several guys in our range and then watching interviews with each-this guy was the standout to me. He's one of the youngest in the draft but came off as the most confident and no question bothered or stumped him. He offers a skill set that commands a premium if he hits.

I know the secondary is desperate for help but adding a player with #17 isn't going to turn that weakness into a strength. But if you hit on a dynamic pass rusher opposite DLaw, all of a sudden your rag tag secondary starts to look good.

This will be the guy I'm hoping for on April 23, so expect the Falcons to take him at #16

i am not sure the falcons will as they filled that void in FA but Chiasson will garner interest well before 16.

tm1119

Reaction score
Count me in the minority of Baun>Chaisson. I’m sure Chaisson will get drafted 1st, but I like Baun as a better overall prospect. I think he’s more we’ll rounded and already shows good pass rush technique and counter moves while Chaisson is going to have to develop a good amount more.

jnday

Reaction score
I was literally just doing some research on him, here’s his combine numbers, a overview, and his pros and cons:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/k'lavon-chaisson?id=32194348-4103-1652-cb42-0c501912b1a9

6’3” 254lbs seems a little lite for a DE, Quinn is 265 and got pushed around A LOT last year. Quinn was terrible against the run and we can’t afford to have another guy like him on this roster.
IIRC, Gregory plays at around 250lbs. He played the run better than Quinn, so talent seems to be more important than size.

jnday

Reaction score

Good times.

Ramsey has not been the second coming of Primetime during his time in the NFL. His attitude has made him very average to many teams.