Pros and Cons: K'Lavon Chaisson

JBS

Reaction score
Chaisson won't be the bpa for one. He isn't a top 17 player in this class. He's not far off, but he won't be the bpa

Defensive end is not at the top of the list of needs either

This guy won't be the pick

cnuball21

Reaction score
Someone tell me anything positive about Chaison’s numbers that warrant a top 20 pick. Not traits, any stats that make him a 1st round pick.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Someone tell me anything positive about Chaison’s numbers that warrant a top 20 pick. Not traits, any stats that make him a 1st round pick.

Why would that sway you? If numbers are a primary factor there’s a ton of of players with impressive numbers that won’t sniff the 1st round.

If you don’t see a quality player I don’t know what to tell you.

At some point you have to stop staring at a stat sheet and look at the player on the field.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Now that Quinn is gone let's talk about drafting K'Lavon Chaisson. He said:

"I can pass rush, drop in coverage and cover anybody you want me to cover, and I can play the run. No offensive lineman will ever just move me off the ball and bully me."

Will he still be available at #17? If not, would it be worth it to trade up?
He didn't have great production. Could he be the next Hunter or could be be the next Mingo/Key? To much risk taking a potential type of pick in rd 1.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He didn't have great production. Could he be the next Hunter or could be be the next Mingo/Key? To much risk taking a potential type of pick in rd 1.

It’s important to note that last season was Chaisson’s first season back from the ACL injury. As we’ve all heard (regarding ACL tears) it takes these athletes awhile to get back to the point where they trust their knees like they did pre-injury and feel comfortable moving like they’re used to. If you look at the game logs, Chaisson’s production increases dramatically at roughly the halfway point of the season (9 TFL/ 4.5 sacks from Week 7-13).

cnuball21

Reaction score
Why would that sway you? If numbers are a primary factor there’s a ton of of players with impressive numbers that won’t sniff the 1st round.

If you don’t see a quality player I don’t know what to tell you.

At some point you have to stop staring at a stat sheet and look at the player on the field.

Absolutely agree. Can’t look at numbers without looking at the tape / athleticism which is why a ton of guys with great stats won’t sniff the top 100.

We’re talking top 20 though, so there has to be some level of production. If there isn’t, it’s an upside / traits pick which is exactly what I think Chaisson is. If you’re comfortable with that i get it, I just want no part of that so early.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It’s important to note that last season was Chaisson’s first season back from the ACL injury. As we’ve all heard (regarding ACL tears) it takes these athletes awhile to get back to the point where they trust their knees like they did pre-injury and feel comfortable moving like they’re used to. If you look at the game logs, Chaisson’s production increases dramatically at roughly the halfway point of the season (9 TFL/ 4.5 sacks from Week 7-13).

Thats fair as well, but now we’re throwing injury into the discussion. IMO there is too much risk with the player at 17.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Thats fair as well, but now we’re throwing injury into the discussion. IMO there is too much risk with the player at 17.

It’s a past injury from 2018.

If there’s any injury football that has a demonstrated and predictable track record of success, it’s the ACL injury.

That doesn’t make me blink at all.

Now Achilles? Yeah. Not an ACL though.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It’s a past injury from 2018.

If there’s any injury football that has a demonstrated and predictable track record of success, it’s the ACL injury.

That doesn’t make me blink at all.

Now Achilles? Yeah. Not an ACL though.

I get it. And if we’re comfortable with that injury then it wouldn’t make me blink either but the production concern is still there.

I’d feel much more confident taking a player that has produced than assuming Chaisson would’ve produced more if not injured.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good point. He is still a risky pick, where many believe he is the most boom/bust in the entire 1st rd.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Rotoworld did a correlation study a while back trying to find the college stats and Combine drills that best predicted success for draft prospects. For DEs under 270 pounds, the most correlated college stat was actually TFLs instead of sacks.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/numbers/nfl-draft-analytics-def?page=0

"15 of the 17 EDGE rushers who averaged at least 0.50 sacks per game in NFL seasons two through four averaged at least 1.0 tackles for loss in his final collegiate season."

Chaisson had 13.5 TFLs over 13 games, so he clears that benchmark, just barely.

FWIW, none of the Combine drills were that predictive, but the #1 was speed score. Chaisson didn't run at the Combine, but he probably runs a 4.6 at 6'4" 250. You name an athletic threshold, he clears it.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I think the pick will be Chaisson he will be one of the guys with the highest potential in this draft. especially at 17. He also fits both the 4-3 and 3-4 defense so his versatility will be what this team likes and looks for, and most importantly he plays a premier position in NFL.
With that being said he has one of the highest bust potentials, but he has one of the highest ceilings in the draft and a position of huge need.

I am a big fan of Chaisson, but also absolutely terrified of him at the same time.

garyv

Reaction score
Dont overthink the DE or OLB. He is a pass rusher. He looks the part of a 3-4 edge, but he can rush with his hand in the dirt.

If they want to run multiple fronts, a player like Chaisson may be more valuable to them than a more traditional 4 man line DE anyways

But you have to ask yourself this is he better than Randy Gregory similar built and highly probable your getting him back. Seems to me I would rather see
them address our secondary or go with a Ruggs or somebody else in the slot. Can you imagine Cooper, Gallup, Jarwin and Ruggs in the offense. That's
a lot of good Receivers that can run after the catch putting loads of pressure on an opposing defense.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But you have to ask yourself this is he better than Randy Gregory similar built and highly probable your getting him back. Seems to me I would rather see
them address our secondary or go with a Ruggs or somebody else in the slot. Can you imagine Cooper, Gallup, Jarwin and Ruggs in the offense. That's
a lot of good Receivers that can run after the catch putting loads of pressure on an opposing defense.
I think the possibility we draft Chaisson would depend very much on the FO's confidence in getting Gregory on the field. I think if they are confident in Gregory reinstatement, I dont think they would go the Chaisson route.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Rotoworld did a correlation study a while back trying to find the college stats and Combine drills that best predicted success for draft prospects. For DEs under 270 pounds, the most correlated college stat was actually TFLs instead of sacks.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/numbers/nfl-draft-analytics-def?page=0

"15 of the 17 EDGE rushers who averaged at least 0.50 sacks per game in NFL seasons two through four averaged at least 1.0 tackles for loss in his final collegiate season."

Chaisson had 13.5 TFLs over 13 games, so he clears that benchmark, just barely.

FWIW, none of the Combine drills were that predictive, but the #1 was speed score. Chaisson didn't run at the Combine, but he probably runs a 4.6 at 6'4" 250. You name an athletic threshold, he clears it.

This is great. Marcus Mosher did something comparable and added in players needing to have a sub 4.8 40. Pretty decent hit rate.

timb2

Reaction score
Now that Quinn is gone let's talk about drafting K'Lavon Chaisson. He said:

"I can pass rush, drop in coverage and cover anybody you want me to cover, and I can play the run. No offensive lineman will ever just move me off the ball and bully me."

Will he still be available at #17? If not, would it be worth it to trade up?

I think he will struggle to put on weight also he only had like six sacks that's not a lot just think he's going to be kind of a tweener too light for defensive end and too-tall and gangly for linebacker

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Would love if Chaisson fell to us but I doubt he will. My order would be this in the first.
1st choice - Chaisson
2nd choice - Kinlaw
3rd choice - Henderson
4th choice - Ruggs
5th choice - Trade Down

My logic for Chaisson and Kinlaw first are that there is a wide gap between them and the next best in those positions of need. I would take any on the 3 wrs but not sure they will be available. I know we need defensive backs but if Henderson is gone I would trade back.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Chaisson reminds me of a pass rushing version of Tyron Smith in the since that he will be a 20 year old rookie. He would be a great rotational piece with Gregory and Crawford.