CFZ Put the blame where it most belongs

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is first and foremost an offensive minded coach. Why would you hire him and then neuter him by not having any input in the offense, you know that thing he is best known for?
I have asked this same question several times in other threads and no one seems to have an answer.
It's crazy and makes zero sense.
All I can figure is that Jerry views Moore as the HC
In waiting, and wants him to get the experience.

kskboys

Reaction score
I disagree. Jerry desperately wants to win.

He just doesn't know how to do it.
Let's see, he's admitted publicly that he's terrible as a GM. Soooooooooo, exactly what makes you say he wants to win? Evidence points directly to the contrary. He wants self aggrandizement and attention. That trumps everything.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I’m not here to defend Dak. He was just flat awful Sun night and deserves a ton of criticism. Kellen Moore? Looked like a middle school coach in his first game. The WRs looked like guys that couldn’t get any separation. Cedee Lamb had 2 receptions on 11 targets. Terrance Steele couldn’t remember a snap count. The defense gave up 6 yards per rush. And on and on…

Those players looked as unprepared as they were in January vs the niners. That has to be on Mike McCarthy. When a team looks completely out of sync and unprepared, look first at the head coach and his assistants. Tampa Bay players said after the game that the Cowboys offensive scheme is easy to defend.

Lots of blame to go around. The players and coaches stunk it up and deserve their fair share of responsibility.

But folks…the blame for the lousy pitiful performance and pathetic state of this entire team we saw Sunday lays firmly at the feet of Jerry and his giggly sidekick son. The horrific smell coming out of AT&T originated from those two.

And what makes me a lot angrier than the players’ and coaches’ sorry performance is the continuing lousy performance of the guys who have THE most power in this organization. And unless I missed it, have taken ZERO responsibility for their failures.

Hearing SJ throw Cedee Lamb under the bus angers me not because Lamb didn’t deserve criticism. It was not hearing the Jones boys take any responsibility for their failure to once again put together a strong roster.

Get mad at Dak, and Cedee and Steele and McCarthy and Kellen if you choose. They deserve it. But get madder at the clowns who never take any personal responsibility for their failures and mistakes. That’s where the lions share of the blame belongs. They want all the credit and zero blame.

It's all about accountability, or the lack thereof.
A typical NFL GM has to be accountable, and the Joneses are simply not.
If the Rams go 6-11 this year, miss the playoffs, then start off bad the following year, Les Snead will be walking a thin line, despite being less than 2 seasons off winning a SB.
It's a tough business, for Coaches and GMs (and players too), but not for the Joneses.

After watching the disappointment verses the Niners last year, I identified 4 major issues we needed to address in the offseason.
First was coaching, 14 penalties, horrible offensive play calling, attrocious time management. To me, the Kurt Warner video spoke volumes. Second was special teams, namely, our kicker. We lost games due to our kicking game. Third was the D line. The Niners gashed us up the middle especially. 4th was the OLine. I felt we needed an infusion of young talent in the offseason. Youth, depth, talent.
We really did not address any of those, other than Tyler Smith (which I liked). But we lost 2 starters in Williams and Collins, and replaced them with back ups essentially. Loosing Tyron hurt and was unfortunate, but should we have been that unprepared for that? I wanted us to sign Peters in the offseason, so we'd have a solid backup to play in the games Tyron would inevitably miss.
When I saw the 8 O linemen on our 53 I couldn't believe my eyes. Ball? Waletzko?, Farniok? Seriously? For a team favored to win their division? I was shocked. Even with adding Tyler Smith, our O line went backwards this year (and it needed to get better). Our depth is embarrassing.

I hated losing Cooper (especially for what we got for him). Had we received a 1st of 2nd, I get it, it's a business and there is a cap, but for a 5th rounder. Coop is eating 6 mil of our cap space this season. We could have easily redone his deal and gotten his cap number to 7 or 8. Easily. Yes, next season would be tougher to make the money work, but that was a clear step backwards. Coop made the entire WR corp better, because he is a true #1 and could win off the line consistently. We went from one of the best WR corps in the league to one of the worst. Then we were forced to use a premium pick on WR, and I would have rather had that pick to address the D or O lines. IMO Oline was deep in this draft. There were really solid players that went in the 3rd and 4th (and even the 5th, and Waletzko was not one of them IMO). Coops deal has fallen out of the top 10 in WR compensation this year, and by next season, he will likely be out of the top 20.
The Gregory thing was embarranssing. We clearly wanted him back (and needed him). He should never have been allowed to get so close to leaving, and then our lack of professionallism actually causes him to leave. And then Jerry taking shots at him (and Cooper and Collins), saying they were not available. Has DLaw neeb available Jerry? (And I'm a HUGE DLaw guy BTW). Such a lack of professionalism. It's embarrassing. And again, lsoing Gregory forced us to go Edge in the draft early, instead of using that premium pick on more pressing needs (like interior Dline and OLine). Again, at another marquee position, we went from a strength to a weakness.

Overall I liked our draft. I give MClay a lot of credit. Love Smith and Ferguson, and I think Williams and Tolbert will be solid.
I just would have kept Coop and Gregory, added guys like Smith (I also loved Linderbaum) and Ferguson, and guys like Sean Ryann (3rd round), David Faalele (4th round) and Darrian Kinnard (5th round), I think are just going to be maulers, and I loved Travis Jones (who went in the 3rd) for the middle of the Dline. We just need maulers like that IMO.

Again, I see next to nothing addressed from last season, in fact we have gone backwards.
A professional GM would be held accountable for that, but Jerry and Stephen of course are not.
That's it in a nutshell IMO.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Rams go 6-11 this year, miss the playoffs, then start off bad the following year, Les Snead will be walking a thin line, despite being less than 2 seasons off winning a SB.
It's a tough business, for Coaches and GMs (and players too), but not for the Joneses.

After watching the disappointment verses the Niners last year, I identified 4 major issues we needed to address in the offseason.
First was coaching, 14 penalties, horrible offensive play calling, attrocious time management. To me, the Kurt Warner video spoke volumes. Second was special teams, namely, our kicker. We lost games due to our kicking game. Third was the D line. The Niners gashed us up the middle especially. 4th was the OLine. I felt we needed an infusion of young talent in the offseason. Youth, depth, talent.
We really did not address any of those, other than Tyler Smith (which I liked). But we lost 2 starters in Williams and Collins, and replaced them with back ups essentially. Loosing Tyron hurt and was unfortunate, but should we have been that unprepared for that? I wanted us to sign Peters in the offseason, so we'd have a solid backup to play in the games Tyron would inevitably miss.
When I saw the 8 O linemen on our 53 I couldn't believe my eyes. Ball? Waletzko?, Farniok? Seriously? For a team favored to win their division? I was shocked. Even with adding Tyler Smith, our O line went backwards this year (and it needed to get better). Our depth is embarrassing.

I hated losing Cooper (especially for what we got for him). Had we received a 1st of 2nd, I get it, it's a business and there is a cap, but for a 5th rounder. Coop is eating 6 mil of our cap space this season. We could have easily redone his deal and gotten his cap number to 7 or 8. Easily. Yes, next season would be tougher to make the money work, but that was a clear step backwards. Coop made the entire WR corp better, because he is a true #1 and could win off the line consistently. We went from one of the best WR corps in the league to one of the worst. Then we were forced to use a premium pick on WR, and I would have rather had that pick to address the D or O lines. IMO Oline was deep in this draft. There were really solid players that went in the 3rd and 4th (and even the 5th, and Waletzko was not one of them IMO). Coops deal has fallen out of the top 10 in WR compensation this year, and by next season, he will likely be out of the top 20.
The Gregory thing was embarranssing. We clearly wanted him back (and needed him). He should never have been allowed to get so close to leaving, and then our lack of professionallism actually causes him to leave. And then Jerry taking shots at him (and Cooper and Collins), saying they were not available. Has DLaw neeb available Jerry? (And I'm a HUGE DLaw guy BTW). Such a lack of professionalism. It's embarrassing. And again, lsoing Gregory forced us to go Edge in the draft early, instead of using that premium pick on more pressing needs (like interior Dline and OLine). Again, at another marquee position, we went from a strength to a weakness.

Overall I liked our draft. I give MClay a lot of credit. Love Smith and Ferguson, and I think Williams and Tolbert will be solid.
I just would have kept Coop and Gregory, added guys like Smith (I also loved Linderbaum) and Ferguson, and guys like Sean Ryann (3rd round), David Faalele (4th round) and Darrian Kinnard (5th round), I think are just going to be maulers, and I loved Travis Jones (who went in the 3rd) for the middle of the Dline. We just need maulers like that IMO.

Again, I see next to nothing addressed from last season, in fact we have gone backwards.
A professional GM would be held accountable for that, but Jerry and Stephen of course are not.
Excellent post.

75boyz

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is first and foremost an offensive minded coach. Why would you hire him and then neuter him by not having any input in the offense, you know that thing he is best known for?

I mean I guess but if that's the case why should he take the job?
If going in, he's already inheriting an OC he's never met and he's famous for saying at his GB job that he would never give up playcalling again.

And there was no publicized bad divorce settlement or bankruptcy report concerning his finances. So it's not like he was broke . I'm sure as HC at GB for all those years he was well paid.

The sleepover included him taking this job with the understanding that KM would be the OC.

So why take the job?
My answer would be to pad his retirement portfolio by selling out what remaining coaching integrity and self respect he had left in order to be just another in Jerry's long list of well paid Yes Man coaches.

Go along to get along and get paid well for doing it Jerry's Way.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
The most pathetic thing of all is that if the Cowboys bottom out like they did in 2010, Jerry Jones is going to vow to get to the bottom of this and evaluate what went wrong and who is responsible.

Just makes me want to scream.

McCarthy was willing to give up the traditional authority of an NFL Head Coach when he took this job. Most likely he knew that Jerry's decision making would destroy any reasonable chance of success. If he truly was half the coach he thinks he is then he never would have taken the job.

75boyz

Reaction score
The most pathetic thing of all is that if the Cowboys bottom out like they did in 2010, Jerry Jones is going to vow to get to the bottom of this and evaluate what went wrong and who is responsible.

Just makes me want to scream.

McCarthy was willing to give up the traditional authority of an NFL Head Coach when he took this job. Most likely he knew that Jerry's decision making would destroy any reasonable chance of success. If he truly was half the coach he thinks he is then he never would have taken the job.

Exactly.

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m not here to defend Dak. He was just flat awful Sun night and deserves a ton of criticism. Kellen Moore? Looked like a middle school coach in his first game. The WRs looked like guys that couldn’t get any separation. Cedee Lamb had 2 receptions on 11 targets. Terrance Steele couldn’t remember a snap count. The defense gave up 6 yards per rush. And on and on…

Those players looked as unprepared as they were in January vs the niners. That has to be on Mike McCarthy. When a team looks completely out of sync and unprepared, look first at the head coach and his assistants. Tampa Bay players said after the game that the Cowboys offensive scheme is easy to defend.

Lots of blame to go around. The players and coaches stunk it up and deserve their fair share of responsibility.

But folks…the blame for the lousy pitiful performance and pathetic state of this entire team we saw Sunday lays firmly at the feet of Jerry and his giggly sidekick son. The horrific smell coming out of AT&T originated from those two.

And what makes me a lot angrier than the players’ and coaches’ sorry performance is the continuing lousy performance of the guys who have THE most power in this organization. And unless I missed it, have taken ZERO responsibility for their failures.

Hearing SJ throw Cedee Lamb under the bus angers me not because Lamb didn’t deserve criticism. It was not hearing the Jones boys take any responsibility for their failure to once again put together a strong roster.

Get mad at Dak, and Cedee and Steele and McCarthy and Kellen if you choose. They deserve it. But get madder at the clowns who never take any personal responsibility for their failures and mistakes. That’s where the lions share of the blame belongs. They want all the credit and zero blame.
I've said it before and I'll say it 100 times. Toxic dysfunctional organization is too much for the players to overcome. The lack of accountability from the top causes no concern for poor play. We can't expect the players and the coaches to be productive in this trash hole. It's like asking a marathon runner to start a marathon at Chernobyl and then be surprised he can't finish the race strong.

cristglo

Reaction score

You and Bob Hit it right on the head!
Piss poor planning = Piss poor performance!
Rinse and repeat!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

God this is true.......he forces coaches to start bargain bin or low-level players and expect them to play like ALL Pros

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

cowboyed

Reaction score
we've blamed Kellen moore

dude has no feel for the game....who calls a double reverse when the drive was pounding the rock and getting 4 ypc
Ridiculous play call when your operating with an emaciated O-line that can't block even a 90 year old former pass rusher.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry, oddly put together a roster good enough to win a SB, but benched Romo for Dak and wasted what could have been. So yes we blame the FO for making Dak the starter and centerpiece of the franchise, which meant burning a SB-primed roster that would need to be retooled eventually and be stuck with the QB who was being carried by the talent, not the other way around.

remember even Zeke was drafted for Romo, not Dak.

Preoccupied

Reaction score
But get madder at the clowns who never take any personal responsibility for their failures and mistakes. That’s where the lions share of the blame belongs. They want all the credit and zero blame.

Bob ask Reality to make a sub forum called the owners.
Put all relevant media and decision making news they do in it.
Then we can see the pattern of what has happened at year 26/27.
Imagine if that process had been done in 2003 / 2004 we would have a library of circus of clown acts to read over and lol about.

All I seem to post is +26 yrs and when SJ takes over and hires a new right hand clown.
Nothing will change and this current setup will be in place with the family for the next 30 years and beyond.
I do not believe they will ever employ a GM whom has greater NFL knowledge than them for the simple fact of fear and their ego's taking a hit.
They do find and dig up hidden gems (Dan Quinn) and I love watching parsons,the defence tries hard and fights each game for Quinn.

Quite simply JJ is a business man and as a business man JJ's influence over DC's business growth is amazing and I admire that craft, guile, and workmanship from him and his family making it what it is today the most valuable sports franchise.

As a GM ( )

yep a blank space of praise

TwentyOne

Reaction score

I want to go away from what you intended with your post and want to talk a bit about McCarthey. I have to get that out of my mind.
But i need some explanation for it. So stay with me on this one :).

See i was in a way a Garrett supporter. Not because i think he was a great OC or had a great understanding of the game. No he wasnt and he hadnt.
But what i liked about Garrett is he knew one thing and he was very good at it. He knew how to establish sustainability. He had a plan. He was a longterm planner. Exactly the oposite from the Joneses. This is where you could sense his educational background. How he approached solving problems.

1. He established (or at least tried to) a new identity for the team. Remember how he implemented new signs in the locker rooms and the way to the stadium ? Just as a small example.

2. He was able to get us out of cap hell. Remember when he started here we were deep in trouble. It took Garrett around 6 years of good management to get us in a position to finally be able again to do what we want to do.
Then i remember when we were in good cap shape again, Stephen than made his famous comment about the cap "thinking about the salary cap always makes me chuckle". That was something that shaped my thinking of Stephen. This comment had so much arrogance in it. Like he was all in control of the cap. Like he wanted to say "see what i did here" "see how easy it is for me to do this. I am so freaking intelligent".
Well he did exactly nothing. Garrett and his team was doing it. And it shows now that Garrett is gone. Now he changes his comments to "the cap is complex" blah blah. No SJ, the cap is not complex. You are just not able to understand it.

3. When Garrett was here, from a management standpoint (except his last two years, where he was essentially a dead man walking), i always had the feeling things are under control. That IMO came because Garret had it under control.

But here comes McCarthy. See how things changed? It did take him exactly 1 1/2 years to get us back into cap trouble again.
No more feeling of mid- or longterm planning. Everything feels reactionary.

And then another thing that runs thru my mind for a long time now. When he applied for the job, i thought, well nobody comes here if he wants to have sporting success. But lets give this guy a chance at least. He has worked together with two great QBs. At least he has some knowledge what it means to be a elite QB. So maybe i am wrong about him, he wants to achieve something here. And also prove doubters wrong.

So i expected him to get rid of Prescott as his first decission. But what did i have to watch ? The guy said nothing against the enormous contract we gave our QB.
That was the time when i realized the guy came here just to earn some more money and then call it a day. He doesnt care. And this way he also manages this team.

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
Or maybe a defencive-minded HC for a change.

Did you have DQ in mind ? When you hold NE and some of its obvious weapons to 19 that should be a W. Promote an Al Harris to DC then clean house on the offensive coaching side of the ball if things don’t improve as this season starts . It’s one game but what I’ve laid out could be a path forward in 2023.