QB Analysis Week 2 Trey Lance

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
okee dokey. seems like you have your mind made up.
I mean yea. Prove me wrong. Show me any evidence that he can be a dangerous runner in the NFL. The YPC isn't there. There is no specific power or speed that has ever shown anything, and he got hurt to boot.

People want Lance to be something that he just isn't.

Reaction score
How would you know what his stats were before making your comment if a thirty minute video is too long to watch? That just seems like confirmation bias.

Nevertheless, so?

Lance can only do the play called. Being a certain stat sheet could be affected by play-calling, receivers not being open, time of possession due to the opposing team holding the ball, etc.

Dak threw for less than 80 yards in the first half of the GB playoff game until the very last drive with a few minutes left to go. How many of those were YAC?

How many excuses will you find for the eight year veteran?

None of this is expected to be answered since the questions are rhetorical. The point being, well it’s just numbers and you just don’t like the tangible data.
Bottom line - Lance doesn't even compare to Prescott. Some of you guys crack me up.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He played against the 1s in the first half and did nothing. The "his scrubs against their 1s" is a pointless observation, because he didn't do anything in that context.

I don't hate Trey. I hate people who make things up.
And you are cherry picking things to assuage your agenda against Trey.

He looked remarkably better this last game. Had decent stats for a preseason partial game.

You giving him no quarter, is a sure sign.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean yea. Prove me wrong. Show me any evidence that he can be a dangerous runner in the NFL. The YPC isn't there. There is no specific power or speed that has ever shown anything, and he got hurt to boot.

People want Lance to be something that he just isn't.
Oh...you mean cheering him on, positivity?

Or does it have to be YOUR in-the-know kool kids club of doom and failure?

Sydla

Reaction score
Can you imagine if Lance plays even better next week and Dak still doesn't have a contract?

Whew boy. LOL.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Oh...you mean cheering him on, positivity?

Or does it have to be YOUR in-the-know kool kids club of doom and failure?
What are you babbling about?

Trey Lance isn't reading this. I can root for him and still think he's not a great runner lol

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

He looked remarkably better this last game. Had decent stats for a preseason partial game.

He did not look better. He does some good things, some not good things, same as the week before.

Is he hitting passes downfield? No. It's a requirement to be a productive NFL quarterback, and he's not showing it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He did not look better. He does some good things, some not good things, same as the week before.

Is he hitting passes downfield? No. It's a requirement to be a productive NFL quarterback, and he's not showing it.
If you don't think he looked better, you are either lying to yourself, or you did not watch both games.
He was undeniably better in the 2nd game. Whether that is good enough or not is up for debate, but he was absolutely better.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If you don't think he looked better, you are either lying to yourself, or you did not watch both games.
He was undeniably better in the 2nd game. Whether that is good enough or not is up for debate, but he was absolutely better.
Nah. He looked better because they asked him to do less as a passer. He didn't grow, the offense shrunk - though I can't say how much that had to do with the opponent. He was more poised I guess, but he was still inaccurate and still didn't make plays down the field.

I also think the struggles in the first game are wildly exaggerated. He was fine, considering WRs couldn't catch anything, but there is nothing dynamic about his game right now.

Everyone here whines about Sturm, but this is basically what I think of him.

He just cannot mechanically deliver the ball where it needs to be to run a quick-hitting offense. If you can't make those “lay-up” throws both on time and on target, you can't convert 3rd downs or red zone plays consistently enough to play in this league.This reel highlights four different 3rd downs from a night when the Cowboys went 2 for 9 (with Lance in on most of them). All of these were 3rd and less than 5, and they did convert 2 of them. But if we see where his delivery betrays him the most, I swear it’s on the shorter throws. The lay-ups. The free throws. Whatever you want to call them, they are the best indicator of a QB’s mechanical soundness. Yet, we still see the ball arriving high, low, or behind the target too often. There’s a lot of Tim Tebow in these short throws, and it feels like he didn’t get the early-stage training that might have made all of this second nature.
In the reel, he misses two routine in-breaking throws that don't go more than 5 yards, and is late on both.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Nah. He looked better because they asked him to do less as a passer. He didn't grow, the offense shrunk - though I can't say how much that had to do with the opponent. He was more poised I guess, but he was still inaccurate and still didn't make plays down the field.

I also think the struggles in the first game are wildly exaggerated. He was fine, considering WRs couldn't catch anything, but there is nothing dynamic about his game right now.

Everyone here whines about Sturm, but this is basically what I think of him.

In the reel, he misses two routine in-breaking throws that don't go more than 5 yards, and is late on both.
His accuracy was far better. There were still a few misses, but it was far better.

You're being particularly obtuse on this one.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
His accuracy was far better. There were still a few misses, but it was far better.

You're being particularly obtuse on this one.
Game to game variance, especially in preseason, doesn't matter. You can account for that with a guy just having a good day or a bad day. But the fundamental, mechanical misses were still the same.

It doesn't matter if he completed 20 8-yard passes in a row if he's still going to be late and off on the short, tight-window stuff stuff and not hit on big plays down the field. Most of what he did against LV is what you see from journeymen type guys all over the league.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bottom line - Lance doesn't even compare to Prescott. Some of you guys crack me up.
I get it, I want Dak's replacement too. for something better. but these guys are so angry and emotional. they are like cats clinging tight at the edge of the pool trying not to fall in water. they are clinging really tight to anything. its comical

Chasing6

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I would agree with this but the fact is, he has not played a lot. Never played a full season and has started ONLY 4 games. Shanahan built the kid up taking him 3rd overall and declared him a bust after only 8 games in 2 years. He may not have the talent to start or even play in the league but man, I would love to have him sit on our bench for another couple of years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LancTr00.htm
Not playing a lot makes the argument worse not better.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Look...all I know is the announcers commented several that there were quite a few ones playing throughout the game.

It's what they said. Not worth arguing about.
Now ...how come you hate trey?
Because he was a waste of a 4th round pick and $5.3M.

Did he play last year? No

Is he going to play this year? No

Is his contract over at the end of this year? Yes.

Why is not hard to figure out?

It has absolutely nothing to do with Trey. I hate the trade for Trey.

Chasing6

Reaction score

If he played like Will Grier it would still not be enough.

How is Will doing by the way? Is he starting anywhere?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We keep hearing about his big arm and all he does is throw 5 yard passes.
Percentage wise his passing depths are not much different than Daks. Last year Dak averaged about 7 passes per game in the 10-19 yard range. 4 passes over 20 yards per game. Lance is at 5 and 2.5 per game in those categories and is missing the drives Rush has played. I think this is just the offense the Cowboys have.