QB Analysis Week 2 Trey Lance

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He absolutely killed Lance last week, but this week Lance was one of the better preseason qbs. If he can play at this level or better in game 3, I have high hopes for the kid
He’s going to be playing against a lot of bubble players in the final preseason game. Will Grier played lights out in the final preseason game last year. The preseason and regular season are totally different. You simply can’t put too much stock in a preseason performance. It’s a huge jump from preseason to the regular season. Unfortunately, this will probably be the last game we see him play this year unless they name him the backup at some point and he has to play due to injury. It’s performing well during the regular season that’s going to determine whether he can be a good NFL QB.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
One reminder we should all keep in mind regarding Lance: He is a developmental project that will require some patience. His talent is unquestioned but his readiness to lead an NFL team as a starter remains to be seen.

I hope the Cowboys keep him and also think they should find a way to use him in occasional packages this year.

The question about whether Trey Lance COULD be a successful starting QB remains unanswered. But the question of whether Trey Lance has the TALENT to be a successful NFL QB is YES.
So of course, is if he does develop, what do you do with Dak? There are 3 choices (realistic ones):

Let Dak play out his contract and then let him leave, play Lance in any blowout games and see if he develops to a level that gives you confidence he can be your starter next year.
Sign Dak for a new contract but based on Lance's development, try and trade Lance.
Sit Dak on the bench and play Lance all season. If he develops well, no problem, you've got a new starter and Dak will be gone. If not, will Dak, assuming he gets to the same level he's done before, i.e. one and done in the playoffs, really be worth more than he'd sign for now? If Lance doesn't develop, then you can probably sign Dak for the same amount as this year, and the cap will also probably go up so it'd be easier to sign him somewhat.

Lots of "probably" in the above, I know, but that's the NFL we know and love today!

phildadon86

Reaction score
I would love to see Trey with the starters. I think he was nervous during the first preseason game and it showed. You could see a little more confidence Sat. I'm not giving up on him.......
Not giving up. At all. But I am also not going to forget the first game happened.

It’s funny to me that everyone is saying I’m not judging him off of one game with car salesmen, but will absolutely and positively judge him after one decent game lol. You can’t make up the bias.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Percentage wise his passing depths are not much different than Daks. Last year Dak averaged about 7 passes per game in the 10-19 yard range. 4 passes over 20 yards per game. Lance is at 5 and 2.5 per game in those categories and is missing the drives Rush has played. I think this is just the offense the Cowboys have.
Attempts are different than completions.

McMicah

Reaction score
He’s going to be playing against a lot of bubble players in the final preseason game. Will Grier played lights out in the final preseason game last year. The preseason and regular season are totally different. You simply can’t put too much stock in a preseason performance. It’s a huge jump from preseason to the regular season. Unfortunately, this will probably be the last game we see him play this year unless they name him the backup at some point and he has to play due to injury. It’s performing well during the regular season that’s going to determine whether he can be a good NFL QB.
That’s less important to me than reviewing his feet, his read progressions, his accuracy, etc. Bubble players vs starters isn’t that interesting when you are watching a guy develop from almost level 0

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Attempts are different than completions.
OK....Lance is hitting completing 60% of his passes from 10+ yards out.....Dak hit 56% from the same range last year.

Yes he is 1-5 on passes 20+ yards, but its literally 5 throws. You cant judge anything off of 5 throws. Just because he hasnt shown us yet doesnt mean that he cant.

Chasing6

Reaction score
OK....Lance is hitting completing 60% of his passes from 10+ yards out.....Dak hit 56% from the same range last year.

Yes he is 1-5 on passes 20+ yards, but its literally 5 throws. You cant judge anything off of 5 throws. Just because he hasnt shown us yet doesnt mean that he cant.
Interesting. Just because Dak has not won a SB yet, doesn't mean that he can't.

Sydla

Reaction score
No one was “comparing him” to Prescott.

When you don’t understand the point you invent straw-men.
Seems like semantics. Some argued he could take over for Prescott.

I don't think there is anyway you could play Lance this year and think he'd win as many or more games than Prescott would. He's still really raw and as a starter, he would be facing more detailed game plans, etc. His progress from Game 1 to Game 2 was encouraging, but that's about it. Thinking he's a viable long term solution is still a reach at this point (and FWIW, I don't think Prescott really is a long term option either - we should have tried to get him to agree to a trade months ago).

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Seems like semantics. Some argued he could take over for Prescott.

I don't think there is anyway you could play Lance this year and think he'd win as many or more games than Prescott would. He's still really raw and as a starter, he would be facing more detailed game plans, etc. His progress from Game 1 to Game 2 was encouraging, but that's about it. Thinking he's a viable long term solution is still a reach at this point (and FWIW, I don't think Prescott really is a long term option either - we should have tried to get him to agree to a trade months ago).
I meant no one (referring specifically to me) is comparing him to Prescott in this thread.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Interesting. Just because Dak has not won a SB yet, doesn't mean that he can't.
I agree, Dak is very capable of winning a Super Bowl. Is he capable of winning with the contract he wants? That I’m not as sure of.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
If we stay the course & Lance develops nicely, will anyone give Jerry credit for the trade?
I already like the trade. I think Lance looks good enough to justify a 4th round trade. If he continues to improve, so much the better. If not, well we tried.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
But he did find them and had better passes downfield in the 2nd half.
I think MM called a more conservative game in the 1st half. Build some confidence.

How did you like that fade for the TD. It looked pretty dang good.
I liked it a lot. It looked really good for the receiver and Lance both. The receiver made a perfect fake to help get open and Lance dropped a perfect pass into the corner.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
And you are cherry picking things to assuage your agenda against Trey.

He looked remarkably better this last game. Had decent stats for a preseason partial game.

You giving him no quarter, is a sure sign.
I agree 100% with your post STC. Anytime a guy dedicates 5 or 6 pages of strong negativity to a guy with no more experience than Lance has despite showing the improvements we've seen so far while allowing the player absolutely no quarter whatsoever, kind of screams unfair "agenda".
We don't know enough at this point to predict with any certainty how far Lance can go, but he's showing plenty of promise to keep working with him. I think the guy looks to be well worth the 4th round pick it took to acquire him, and all that negativity is total overkill.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree 100% with your post STC. Anytime a guy dedicates 5 or 6 pages of strong negativity to a guy with no more experience than Lance has despite showing the improvements we've seen so far while allowing the player absolutely no quarter whatsoever, kind of screams unfair "agenda".
We don't know enough at this point to predict with any certainty how far Lance can go, but he's showing plenty of promise to keep working with him. I think the guy looks to be well worth the 4th round pick it took to acquire him, and all that negativity is total overkill.
Unless Trance is resigned this was a complete waste of resources. Even if he is, it still has a high probability of being a waste of resources.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Unless Trance is resigned this was a complete waste of resources. Even if he is, it still has a high probability of being a waste of resources.
Well, time will tell. If we had drafted a young QB with equal ability, it would be ridiculous to toss him aside as easily as a few want to do with Lance. I had doubts about Lance in the beginning, but he's shown a lot more promise than I expected.
It's way too soon to count this guy out.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well, time will tell. If we had drafted a young QB with equal ability, it would be ridiculous to toss him aside as easily as a few want to do with Lance. I had doubts about Lance in the beginning, but he's shown a lot more promise than I expected.
It's way too soon to count this guy out.
Well he has 1 more preseason game. Then back to the bench and a decision needs to be made.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The bottom line is Trey has done nothing to supplant Cooper Rush as QB2. Unless resigning him is dirt cheap, continuing this experiment should not happen.