QB Competition

Flamma

Reaction score
You can't tell me there are only 32 guys in the world worthy of the starting QB spot. Think of how many gems never got a chance. I'm all for letting Dak and Lance duke it out for the #1 spot this year.
Duke it out how? When you have two good athletes, how do you come to the conclusion as to who is #1 without playing in a game that counts? That's why you always hear, when you get an opportunity, make it count. They've watered down preseason to the point that it doesn't always mean much either. Daniel Jones and the Giants looked good last year in preseason. Kenny Pickett too. In Zach Wilson's rookie season, he looked good in preseason.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry needs to trade Trey Lance. Vikings are looking for a young QB. Try to get their early 4th round pick for him (Vikings also have a late 4th round pick). Cowboys have too many holes to fill with this draft for serious positions of need this 2024 season, especially with Tyron Smith leaving via free agency and possibly Tyler Biadasz as well. Time to bite the bullet and get rid of your "projects" while you fill holes of immediate need this year.

Forneymike

Reaction score
What happened to serious competition at the QB position? I can't remember in this century any QB competition in Dallas. I remember back when Jimmy had Aikman and Walsh and they actually competed for the starting job. To go back further, Roger Staubach and Craig Morrison were in serious competition. Seems like for the last 25 years, Jerry and his merry band of clowns have had their guy at QB, no need for competition.

Lance was a 3rd overall pick, was SF that far off? What is wrong with giving Lance an equal chance at beating out Dak this year? Maybe tell Dak, "hey we're going to give this guy Lance a serious chance to take your job". Why? "Because you suck in big games". Sometimes a player needs to be looking over their shoulder to put forth that 110% effort needed to win in the NFL.
His name was Craig Morton not Morrison. Anyone who thinks Steve Walsh and Aikman were in a serious competition did not watch them play. Walsh only played because Troy got injured. After watching him, Jimmy traded him quickly. Beuerlein was more of a competition than Walsh but anyone with a brain knew Aikman was the starter except Skip Bayless

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Lance was a 3rd overall pick, was SF that far off?
Yes! An FCS player with only 318 pass attempts. Sure, he was very athletic and had one great season at ND State, won the Walter Payton award.

But here's the thing - Romo also won the same award, and we all know he never was able to push the team to the SB. And also, as far as the award goes, Jeremy Moses of Stephen F. Austin (my alma mater, by the way) also won it, and never even went to the NFL. So, you can throw that out the window, means little.
Kellen Moore was as we all know had a 50-3 record in college, and how did he do? Not at all well.

I get it, Lance has/had a world of physical ability, 49ers took a chance on him, but like most big chances, the success rate is pretty small.

But in retrospect I'm sure the 49ers are of the "what were we thinking?" opinion now....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Duke it out how? When you have two good athletes, how do you come to the conclusion as to who is #1 without playing in a game that counts? That's why you always hear, when you get an opportunity, make it count. They've watered down preseason to the point that it doesn't always mean much either. Daniel Jones and the Giants looked good last year in preseason. Kenny Pickett too. In Zach Wilson's rookie season, he looked good in preseason. and ma
Yup, and you'd have Dak, with years of experience throwing to Lamb, etc. vs. Lance who's never even thrown a pass for Dallas. The chemistry that Dak and Lamb, Ferguson and others have isn't something you can out-do in a few games against other teams' backups (for the most part). Oh, I'm sure Lance will have a few great runs and maybe a very good pass or three, but after all that would any team that was in the playoffs the last 3 years and your qb, despite his poor playoff performances, was the runner up for mvp and has demonstrated that he can make all the throws, etc. dump their starting qb for a raw rookie (any qb that has less than a full year's starting experience could definitely be called a rookie)?

So it won't be a real competition, more like a "let's get Lance some game time with some starters and evaluate his skills" a bit....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there a reason they need competition at QB? :popcorn::muttley:

I mean after Troy established himself, they did not bring any one in to compete.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
The thought of Lance beating out Dak is just insane. Lance was with the team for 5 months last year and was still 3rd string at the end of the season. Don't you think that if the MM thought Lance had a future here he would've been promoted to at least 2nd string with 2 or 3 games left at the end of the season? Doing so would've boosted his confidence and maybe allowed him to get some snaps in a blowout. It did not happen because Cooper Rush is a much better QB than Lance.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yup, and you'd have Dak, with years of experience throwing to Lamb, etc. vs. Lance who's never even thrown a pass for Dallas. The chemistry that Dak and Lamb, Ferguson and others have isn't something you can out-do in a few games against other teams' backups (for the most part). Oh, I'm sure Lance will have a few great runs and maybe a very good pass or three, but after all that would any team that was in the playoffs the last 3 years and your qb, despite his poor playoff performances, was the runner up for mvp and has demonstrated that he can make all the throws, etc. dump their starting qb for a raw rookie (any qb that has less than a full year's starting experience could definitely be called a rookie)?

So it won't be a real competition, more like a "let's get Lance some game time with some starters and evaluate his skills" a bit....
There's just no way to do it without getting actual game time in. Dick Vermeil and Bill Belichick didn't know they had the better QB on the bench until their starter got hurt. Do you think the Rams and Patriots win the Super Bowl with Trent Green and Drew Bledsoe? Not a chance.

The only real way to compete is if the starter gets hurt and the backup shows he's just as good or better in the regular season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thought of Lance beating out Dak is just insane. Lance was with the team for 5 months last year and was still 3rd string at the end of the season. Don't you think that if the MM thought Lance had a future here he would've been promoted to at least 2nd string with 2 or 3 games left at the end of the season? Doing so would've boosted his confidence and maybe allowed him to get some snaps in a blowout. It did not happen because Cooper Rush is a much better QB than Lance.
Not with the division on the line, as Rush knows the offense much better at that time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What happened to serious competition at the QB position? I can't remember in this century any QB competition in Dallas. I remember back when Jimmy had Aikman and Walsh and they actually competed for the starting job. To go back further, Roger Staubach and Craig Morrison were in serious competition. Seems like for the last 25 years, Jerry and his merry band of clowns have had their guy at QB, no need for competition.

Lance was a 3rd overall pick, was SF that far off? What is wrong with giving Lance an equal chance at beating out Dak this year? Maybe tell Dak, "hey we're going to give this guy Lance a serious chance to take your job". Why? "Because you suck in big games". Sometimes a player needs to be looking over their shoulder to put forth that 110% effort needed to win in the NFL.
OK maybe you didn't read this or haven't seen it there's been 95 quarterbacks drafted since 2016 when Prescott was drafted and only one of them has won a Super Bowl,

so you think somehow some backup some guy you didn't take high in the first round, that you bring in for competition or some backup you know a career backup, or a guy at the tail end of his career is going to come in and give Prescott; the second team all pro, second MVP voting, one of his best seasons he's ever had, and you think that he's going to win the job??

to what end? exactly how is it ending for you that this guy ends up making Prescott the highest paid backup ever??!! :facepalm: you're going to be dumb like Denver and eat $60 million and dead cap money So what you can see some change you think that quarterback is going to get you to the playoffs 5 out of the 8 seasons he was healthy you think that quarterback is never going to be part of a losing season, a guy with one of the best touchdown interception ratios in the history of the NFL at this point, he's like ninth all time, not in Cowboys history, in the history of the NFL... even with 2022's uneven odd anomaly of interceptions he still had 25 touchdowns in 12 games , that guy??

you want him uprooted by who?? What other teams truly have a quarterback competition when they have a top five at worst top ten starting quarterback who just had his best season? why would you waste assets even the ones with Tom Brady they never saw the light of day and they end up having to trade those guys anyway that would be percent and garoppolo.​
Prescott has a no trade clause no franchise tag clause and only one year left on his deal So what do you wanna be Denver and be dumb enough to trade a bunch of assets to get a quarterback like Prescott and then cut the guy for $85 million a record hit against the cap to only then look at trading more assets to move up in the draft to get a young guy who again see my first line of this statement to possibly maybe have a shot at a quarterback that can take you to higher levels?? There's no guarantee that that you can bring in a guy that can compete with Prescott and lose and now you wasted assets and time because it's probably not gonna happen there aren't many quarterbacks out there that can come in and beat Prescott I mean you would even be hard pressed to find the other five or six guys you might list that are already starters that are not available that even would have a shot at beating Prescott out for a job so you want what a fourth or fifth round draft pick or again bringing in some has been washed up career backup that you think this mid-level guy is gonna beat out Prescott then what you pay him I don't know what's the going rate 25,000,000 and then you eat Prescotts 60 million just to get rid of a quarterback that's probably better because it makes you feel better you don't like a guy so now he's gone and now you're have 85,000,000 invested at the starting quarterback position instead of 60, add rush and or lances money, and then now what are you going to do with your roster??​
Do you all even think these things through? When it's time to replace Prescott you'll know it because the best time would be if we have a really bad season and we're picking in the top ten of the draft then you can maybe go move up and find a quarterback for a rookie deal because there aren't many bridge quarterbacks that might be Trey Lance. I mean I don't know what you're going to do when Prescott leaves but there is no blueprint to making sure we're not bad for the next five or six years looking for a quarterback that's even on Prescott's level....​
I mean there aren't many teams that bring in quarterbacks that are actually have any chance in hell of uprooting the starter unless he gets hurt that's what the backup is for unless you have young guys like in New England they fought last year the last couple years and they still haven't found a quarterback they're teams like that all over that are unsure about the quarterback those are the ones that have true competitions...​

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Five months is not enough time to learn the offense??? Come on man, you're making excuses—Lance will be in USFL in 2025 or out of the league.
Not making excuses at all.
Rush has been here how long compared to 5 months. Has won games for the team, or helped win more like it.
And you want to play a QB with the division on the line as the backup with 5 months. As that is 5 months of minimal practice as well. He was not even in TC to get any reps.

Yes he would know enough to get out there and run the offense, but only in a blow out. They did the right thing how they handled it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
His name was Craig Morton not Morrison. Anyone who thinks Steve Walsh and Aikman were in a serious competition did not watch them play. Walsh only played because Troy got injured. After watching him, Jimmy traded him quickly. Beuerlein was more of a competition than Walsh but anyone with a brain knew Aikman was the starter except Skip Bayless
Jimmy took Walsh with the intention of trading him from the get-go...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree that competition is a good thing at every position. Both Landry and Jimmy did that regularly. But whether we like it or not, that was also a different era. The cap era ushered in contracts that make it harder to do what used to happen in the old days.

Jerry is also a guy who wants to always put his money on the field. It’s one of many reasons why having the owner also be the GM is a bad idea.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I have never heard of a quarterback that finished 2nd in the MVP voting and 2nd team all pro having to compete for his starting job. :facepalm: :huh: