QB Competition

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cuz the Dakolytes would cry about Jerry being disrespectful to "their guy." Then they'd cry more when he started throwing picks all over the place in preseason games and practice because of the pressure to win the job. Then they'd cry more when he demanded a trade "because of the disrespect" and definitely not because of the choking in preseason games and practice.
I'm pretty sure they use the "It's not about football" thing.

shabazz

Reaction score
That's an oxymoron here when it comes to the #1 Qb position here......they get awarded it and keep it like a tenured professor.

Flamma

Reaction score
I have never heard of a quarterback that finished 2nd in the MVP voting and 2nd team all pro having to compete for his starting job. :facepalm: :huh:
Me either. But when you lay a giant ostrich egg in the last two playoff appearances, it becomes a concern. If you're going to absolutely suck on the biggest stage, it's a problem. Dak looks good against trash teams in the regular season. Is that why Dallas is paying him? Who cares about his individual stats? No one. Who cares where he is in the MVP race? Try to at least play average on the biggest stage when it matters most. We're not even getting average from him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Me either. But when you lay a giant ostrich egg in the last two playoff appearances, it becomes a concern. If you're going to absolutely suck on the biggest stage, it's a problem. Dak looks good against trash teams in the regular season. Is that why Dallas is paying him? Who cares about his individual stats? No one. Who cares where he is in the MVP list? Try to at least play average on the biggest stage when it matters most. We're not even getting average from him.
I think that you all gotta stop putting a single person's name when you start sentences like looks good against trash teams in a regular season but not in the playoffs that would be the entire team where's the run game the offensive line and the defense in the big games in the playoffs they're not there they're making mistakes all over the team including the coaching the game plans I mean this one was the straw that broke the camel's back I mean when your defense gives up five touchdowns maybe it was six or seven I don't even remember that's how bad it was that's PTSD stop putting Prescott's name in front of those sentences when it's the whole team...

I'm really tired of going back and reminding you that even in 2021 there were 14 penalties in that game and some **** **** defense in the first half giving up 10 yards per carry the deebo Samuels but people forget about that because they think the score was low enough to win the game no the defense was giving up so many yards they were giving up time of possession and taking away from opportunities for the offense it works both ways you could say that about 2016 and 2018 also defensive problems..

And if you wanna go to 2022 and pick that game apart nobody was getting open there was no run game we're one-dimensional and again we're lacking a physical offensive line in the playoffs that's what Troy and Roger had big time running backs great coaching big time offensive lines that showed up in those games Romo and Prescott are not getting that not on a consistent basis... And if you wanna call 2022 bad for Prescott I have to disagree I'll say he wasn't at his best but neither was anybody in front of him or behind him you need to play balanced complimentary football especially in the playoffs and they did not do that it was a close loss that's not laying a giant goose egg...​
And then we just go back to this last game that's the entire team there wasn't a group on this team that played well including the coaching that's all four phases nobody tried to make any plays make any stops it was a total team obliteration...​
There isn't a single game in the playoffs that Prescott's involved with that we can go back and say hey if he were to play better we don't won that game no there were so many other problems around him there was no clear cut play or player then if it would just have worked out a little bit better maybe we would have won.. I mean even in the 22 playoff game the defense played well but they didn't play that great in the first half even though they kept the score down they missed opportunities especially Trayvon diggs dropping the interception and then not breaking up that big pass to kittles.. Those are plays championship defenses have to make and we have not had a championship defense show up I mean if you look at the five losses this year and the win in Seattle that is how our defense has been playing we had no shot so don't blame this on Prescott you said he laid an ostrich egg no there was nothing around him... So we can keep going back to blaming Prescott for our playoff woes but they would not be true you show me a game that you can say well Prescott would have played just a little bit better we'd have one no that's not true I watched the games there was nobody getting open there was no run game the offensive line wasn't playing well not like the ones that Troy and Roger had that is a fact and when you have a defense give up that many touchdowns you had no shot even if it turned into the regular season Seattle game I don't think we win that game the coaches weren't making adjustments they didn't have a good game plan nothing's happening well you can't expect a single player to lift the entire team that's not how it works there's almost no quarterback that I know of in history that's asked to carry the team by himself especially in the playoffs...​

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Jerry needs to trade Trey Lance. Vikings are looking for a young QB. Try to get their early 4th round pick for him (Vikings also have a late 4th round pick). Cowboys have too many holes to fill with this draft for serious positions of need this 2024 season, especially with Tyron Smith leaving via free agency and possibly Tyler Biadasz as well. Time to bite the bullet and get rid of your "projects" while you fill holes of immediate need this year.
They can probably get more for Prescott (at least a late 3rd round pick) and keep Trey’s upside. Dak’s a progress stopper at this point.

sbark

Reaction score
They dont want competition because of the locker room division it causes....

But question.....did Daks deer in the headlights for the 3rd straight time in playoffs ...actually create locker room mumblings that had to be quickly hushed?.....and festers under the surface as contracts get negotiated.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What happened to serious competition at the QB position? I can't remember in this century any QB competition in Dallas. I remember back when Jimmy had Aikman and Walsh and they actually competed for the starting job. To go back further, Roger Staubach and Craig Morrison were in serious competition. Seems like for the last 25 years, Jerry and his merry band of clowns have had their guy at QB, no need for competition.

Lance was a 3rd overall pick, was SF that far off? What is wrong with giving Lance an equal chance at beating out Dak this year? Maybe tell Dak, "hey we're going to give this guy Lance a serious chance to take your job". Why? "Because you suck in big games". Sometimes a player needs to be looking over their shoulder to put forth that 110% effort needed to win in the NFL.
The main issue with this take is it is head and sand untrue.
Dallas had QB competitions many times. You just omitted them because those QBs were awful.
QCar/CHutch/Henson/Bledsoe so on and so forth. Romo emerged out of that mess after about 5-6 years of travesty.

Lance lost out to Darnold and Purdy in SF after an open QB competition.
He has to earn his right to compete as a starter anywhere again.
He starts by beating out Rush.

Whatever Dallas does with Dak will be because of Dak and his asking price, Lance is not in his universe as a QB.
If Dallas has Lance in an open QB competition just know we are tanking.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They dont want competition because of the locker room division it causes....

But question.....did Daks deer in the headlights for the 3rd straight time in playoffs ...actually create locker room mumblings that had to be quickly hushed?.....and festers under the surface as contracts get negotiated.
Who knows? We have not heard from Dak since he crapped the bed, and JJ is most likely drunk on his boat. But, from what I have read, there might be some grumbling going on in the locker room, I don't know.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They can probably get more for Prescott (at least a late 3rd round pick) and keep Trey’s upside. Dak’s a progress stopper at this point.
You can't trade Dak as he has a no trade clause.
They could get an R3 comp for him if they let him leave in FA next year.
That would be added to the 2026 draft.
So, um yay?
A 2026 3rd is equivalent to a 5th this year in draft value.

Or you could trade Lance this year to Minny for say a 4th and a future 4th.
Lance does not have a no trade. You could also potentially remove his entire 5M cap hit by trading him and owe 0 dead money now or going forward.
--He has a roster bonus but I see no firm date for that. It is obviously after the new league year but not sure exactly when. Trading him after means you eat the 4M bonus yourself

Or you keep both and let BOTH hit free agency. Dallas isn't paying a 5th year option for Lance at 22M.
But it is a chance they could get 2 solid comp picks out of it for 2026. R3 and R5 seem likely.
If you are going to rebuild in 2025 that's not a terrible option.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
People always keep asking, who are you going to replace him with? Who cares? Suck for a year and draft someone. I'm sure we can lose in the first round for less that 40M a year.

The team can literally do much of nothing.
He has a no trade clause, and he gets a massive bonus in about a week.

They can release him (pay 61M in cap charge to be an unrestricted free agent where he would easily sign the biggest deal in NFL history and forego ANY future value out of him), extend him to a deal he will actually sign(feels gross) or let him play out this final year of his deal at a high number, eat his 40M void cost next year but get a R3 comp pick.
Thats where we are,

People not facing reality are wasting everyone's time.

And if you do move on from Dak, which I tend to think is the move you are also moving on from Martin/DLaw and a few others.
You have to fully tank to plan to draft a franchise QB.
They go in the top 3 or turn out to be franchise guys post draft.

So love it, like it, or hate it you might as well accept it. This team is going to throw the dice AT LEAST one final time with this crew including Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You can't tell me there are only 32 guys in the world worthy of the starting QB spot. Think of how many gems never got a chance. I'm all for letting Dak and Lance duke it out for the #1 spot this year.
Which Gems? NFL has a way of finding gems and some how they get discovered and play. So this how many gems is meaningless. Maybe 1 or 2 at most. Ever. Romo, Warner, Purdy, Brady etc. Some how got discovered.

Same token, how many supposed talented players got drafted and bombed. LEAF, Russell, Wilson, turbiskey, on and on and on.

Lance is not a gem. He was supposed to be a gem. Got drafted top 5. Got a chance with great coaches. Got to play in actual games. Sank like a tanker anchor. He is far from ready. He needs a lot of development in his 4th year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Me either. But when you lay a giant ostrich egg in the last two playoff appearances, it becomes a concern. If you're going to absolutely suck on the biggest stage, it's a problem. Dak looks good against trash teams in the regular season. Is that why Dallas is paying him? Who cares about his individual stats? No one. Who cares where he is in the MVP race? Try to at least play average on the biggest stage when it matters most. We're not even getting average from him.
So all you care about are playoff performances. Dak had one of the greatest playoff games in Cowboys history at Tampa. A game by the nobody thought the Cowboys would win. Of course that game doesn’t count because it does not fit the narrative.

bigE79

Reaction score
dak has never beaten anyone in a throwing contest. Heck Parsons or some other non quarterback guy on the team could beat him in a throwing contest. shrugs, if not for jersey sales and blind homes he would be on the bench.
Dak has never beat out anyone..he was gifted the job by injury,HS, college and pro.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There's just no way to do it without getting actual game time in. Dick Vermeil and Bill Belichick didn't know they had the better QB on the bench until their starter got hurt. Do you think the Rams and Patriots win the Super Bowl with Trent Green and Drew Bledsoe? Not a chance.

The only real way to compete is if the starter gets hurt and the backup shows he's just as good or better in the regular season.
But once those players played, they showed what they had. Same thing with Dak and Romo. To think Dak was 3rd string behind Moore

With that said, it's not like Lance didn't have a chance at all. In fact he did play. Same teams that went to NFCCG and playoffs. Yet he showed nothing....there is NFL evidence that he is not a hidden gem. He was way over drafted because he is a good Olympian. Runs fast, has a strong arm.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not making excuses at all.
Rush has been here how long compared to 5 months. Has won games for the team, or helped win more like it.
And you want to play a QB with the division on the line as the backup with 5 months. As that is 5 months of minimal practice as well. He was not even in TC to get any reps.

Yes he would know enough to get out there and run the offense, but only in a blow out. They did the right thing how they handled it.
You think if the guy was a hidden gem, who was taken 3rd overall because he is so gifted and been in NFL for two years, having played games couldn't replace noodle arm rush...

If coaches did t have co fidence in making him backup, should tell you all you need.

What's with all these excuses for Lance?