QB Competition

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was gifted the job? But the others couldn't take it away? Really? Was Brady gifted the job? Was Purdy?

Dude. Made no sense at all. Just pure anger and hatred.
Romo had a chance to get his job back and you know it. But the greatest coach and owner in football did not let him after he got medically cleared.

Now, I know you are probably one of those posters that can see the future and will say that Romo would have just gotten hurt again, I see that all the time, yet, they won't tell me the lottery numbers!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think if the guy was a hidden gem, who was taken 3rd overall because he is so gifted and been in NFL for two years, having played games couldn't replace noodle arm rush...

If coaches did t have co fidence in making him backup, should tell you all you need.

What's with all these excuses for Lance?
I did not make any excuses, nor did I say he was a hidden gem.

We don’t know what he can and can’t do. Why do you think he is a bum. There is nothing to say one way or the other.
I am not basing what I think on a few games with SF or the fact they traded him for a 4th.

I have been saying, I look forward to TC and see him in PS games. Then go from there.

Shane612

Reaction score
Apparently, Jerry believes competition isn't good for his Cowboys. Plus, many athletes today have very thin skin.
What has Dak done that warrants him being protected from competition?
:rolleyes:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To go back further, Roger Staubach and Craig Morrison were in serious competition.
It was Morton not Morrison and the reason there was a QB competition was because the Cowboys couldn’t get over the hump with Morton and Staubach excited everyone every time he got an opportunity to play. He was more athletic than Morton and was making plays with his legs and arm. He looked like the great player he was in college. Although the Cowboys aren’t getting over the hump with Dak there’s no one behind him that excites anyone. There’s no one pushing him. Cooper Rush isn’t nearly as talented as Dak and when he got his opportunity to play, although we won games with him we were limited offensively. We didn’t have an efficient passing game and weren’t scoring a lot of points. When Rush got released last summer no one picked him up because he’s an average QB. As for Trey Lance he couldn’t even win the backup job in SF and got traded. He has yet to prove himself. The bottom line is, we don’t have a Roger Staubach behind Dak that’s more talented and is exciting.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo had a chance to get his job back and you know it. But the greatest coach and owner in football did not let him after he got medically cleared.

Now, I know you are probably one of those posters that can see the future and will say that Romo would have just gotten hurt again, I see that all the time, yet, they won't tell me the lottery numbers!
I give Dak credit for allowing...FINALLY...time for Romo to heal. He usually came back hurt, or just played through. And that's a good way to get more hurt.

When the time came, Jerry..decided to: "you don't mess with a streak". As if it was a craps table instead of 1B sports business. ABSOLUTELY given the job...on the success of THE TEAM/Zeke.

People also are fond of poo-pooing Romo's final drive. I'm still having trouble figuring out that 1 drive nonsense.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was Morton not Morrison and the reason there was a QB competition was because the Cowboys couldn’t get over the hump with Morton and Staubach excited everyone every time he got an opportunity to play. He was more athletic than Morton and was making plays with his legs and arm. He looked like the great player he was in college. Although the Cowboys aren’t getting over the hump with Dak there’s no one behind him that excites anyone. There’s no one pushing him. Cooper Rush isn’t nearly as talented as Dak and when he got his opportunity to play, although we won games with him we were limited offensively. We didn’t have an efficient passing game and weren’t scoring a lot of points. When Rush got released last summer no one picked him up because he’s an average QB. As for Trey Lance he couldn’t even win the backup job in SF and got traded. He has yet to prove himself. The bottom line is, we don’t have a Roger Staubach behind Dak that’s more talented and is exciting.
Um...HE KNOWS ALREADY sheesh!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What happened to serious competition at the QB position? I can't remember in this century any QB competition in Dallas. I remember back when Jimmy had Aikman and Walsh and they actually competed for the starting job. To go back further, Roger Staubach and Craig Morrison were in serious competition. Seems like for the last 25 years, Jerry and his merry band of clowns have had their guy at QB, no need for competition.

Lance was a 3rd overall pick, was SF that far off? What is wrong with giving Lance an equal chance at beating out Dak this year? Maybe tell Dak, "hey we're going to give this guy Lance a serious chance to take your job". Why? "Because you suck in big games". Sometimes a player needs to be looking over their shoulder to put forth that 110% effort needed to win in the NFL.
Ridiculous. Walsh and Aikman were both rookies. After Aikman won, Walsh was immediately traded the next year. Morton was here as a starter before Staubach joined after his military duty. After Staubach won, Morton was traded.
Dak was a third string QB his rookie year until the guys in front of him were injured. Once a guy is your established starter, there is no more competition. No one was ever brought in to compete with Meredith, Staubach, Aikman, Romo, and won’t be competing with Dak. It doesn’t happen, and certainly not in today’s NFL. You can’t afford to pay two guys. If a young player tears it up in camp and clearly outperforms the guy who’s the starter, then you have a competition.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I give Dak credit for allowing...FINALLY...time for Romo to heal. He usually came back hurt, or just played through. And that's a good way to get more hurt.

When the time came, Jerry..decided to: "you don't mess with a streak". As if it was a craps table instead of 1B sports business. ABSOLUTELY given the job...on the success of THE TEAM/Zeke.

People also are fond of poo-pooing Romo's final drive. I'm still having trouble figuring out that 1 drive nonsense.
So if Romo was finally healthy and a good QB, why didn’t someone sign him to a contract? Why did he retire? The job broadcasting did not materialize until after he retired. Would he have retired if anyone wanted him and offered him a starters job?
Romo was the Tyron Smith of QBs. Fragile as glass.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I don't think Aikman and Walsh ever really competed. Aikman was taken #1 overall, and was the obvious heir apparent. Walsh was taken in the supplemental draft to be traded later. I don't think Dallas ever really considered making Walsh the starter.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if Romo was finally healthy and a good QB, why didn’t someone sign him to a contract? Why did he retire? The job broadcasting did not materialize until after he retired. Would he have retired if anyone wanted him and offered him a starters job?
Romo was the Tyron Smith of QBs. Fragile as glass.
I don't know.

Like I told ya...he often PLAYED hurt, and came back not fully healed. That's one way to look "frail". He finally took several months off, and could have just handed off to Zeke like Dak did.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Me either. But when you lay a giant ostrich egg in the last two playoff appearances, it becomes a concern. If you're going to absolutely suck on the biggest stage, it's a problem. Dak looks good against trash teams in the regular season. Is that why Dallas is paying him? Who cares about his individual stats? No one. Who cares where he is in the MVP race? Try to at least play average on the biggest stage when it matters most. We're not even getting average from him.
If he would have played average 2 years ago we would have won.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Still butthurt. ^^^ :laugh:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
:hammer::hammer: