QB of the future

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
When do you think the cowboys will target a qb to groom? Its obviously not going to be a first round stud due to us being competitive the next few years. Which leads you to drafting a QB in the second round and later.

When do we do it, and who do think it will be?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When do you think the cowboys will target a qb to groom? Its obviously not going to be a first round stud due to us being competitive the next few years. Which leads you to drafting a QB in the second round and later.

When do we do it, and who do think it will be?

Myself I like Petty but would not select him until the 3rd. I don't see Petty as a guy who is ready day 1 but I think working behind Romo and learning he could develop into a very good QB.

JBS

Reaction score
12 Guage looks pretty darn good to me...might be out of reach now that he's going back to school...

Or he'll just plummet lol

Wood

Reaction score
I am ok with drafting QB lower in draft with acknowledgement that back up QB needs to be better.

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
Myself I like Petty but would not select him until the 3rd. I don't see Petty as a guy who is ready day 1 but I think working behind Romo and learning he could develop into a very good QB.

I've heard him mentioned through multiple media outlets going to the boys as speculation. Which could be great if he sits behind Romo for 2 to 3 years. Also I would love nothing more than Vaughn being the guy if he has the stuff.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the days of picking Aaron Rodgers and letting him sit for 4 years is long gone. Fans want the 1st round pick to start NOW.

I fear that Jerry will be the same way and wait to pick a QB 4 months after Romo retires.

xpistofer

Reaction score
Dustin Vaughn

Vaughan will be special, I think. Has all the tools (arm, pocket presence, mental, confidence, reasonable accuracy). The question will be does he have the drive that the greats display. If he does, I think he has the tools to be Aaron Rogers 2.0. Not kidding. Or he could just be a decent career backup. It's all about what's in his heart...

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
This is probably not a popular opinion but hey - this is a message board and this is my opinion ! I would not draft a QB this year, I would roll the dice that Romo has at least 2-3 good years left (all dependent on his health - which I expect to be better with no off-season surgery). I would stay with Weeden as the primary backup and Vaughn as developmental QB. Romo sat for 4 years !
I think Weeden is an OK backup, and the longer he sits behind Romo the more comfortable he becomes. Not a long term solution but good enough to backup and come in during mop up, end of game scenario's. As he did in the game he threw a TD in mop up duties.
I agree with the premise that with Romo still playing strong, we cannot take a QB high, and have him sit 3-4 years - his rookie contract would be up by the time Romo retires and then we would again have to pay big money to a unproven QB. We would need at least a few years on their rookie contract - ala a Russell Wilson type Scenario.
Play Weeden as the backup, trust that it will get better as he practices every week and the off-season - as he should have been given when drafted. Continue to develop Vaughn, and he either surpasses Weeden by the next off season or we again address the position next year (Only probably 2 years for a QB to sit behind Romo, giving the team 3 years on that rookie contract.)
I highly doubt we will get lucky enough to have an undrafted QB play up to Romo's standards, so we will at some point have to draft one reasonably high - just not this year ...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is probably not a popular opinion but hey - this is a message board and this is my opinion ! I would not draft a QB this year, I would roll the dice that Romo has at least 2-3 good years left (all dependent on his health - which I expect to be better with no off-season surgery). I would stay with Weeden as the primary backup and Vaughn as developmental QB. Romo sat for 4 years !
I think Weeden is an OK backup, and the longer he sits behind Romo the more comfortable he becomes. Not a long term solution but good enough to backup and come in during mop up, end of game scenario's. As he did in the game he threw a TD in mop up duties.
I agree with the premise that with Romo still playing strong, we cannot take a QB high, and have him sit 3-4 years - his rookie contract would be up by the time Romo retires and then we would again have to pay big money to a unproven QB. We would need at least a few years on their rookie contract - ala a Russell Wilson type Scenario.
Play Weeden as the backup, trust that it will get better as he practices every week and the off-season - as he should have been given when drafted. Continue to develop Vaughn, and he either surpasses Weeden by the next off season or we again address the position next year (Only probably 2 years for a QB to sit behind Romo, giving the team 3 years on that rookie contract.)
I highly doubt we will get lucky enough to have an undrafted QB play up to Romo's standards, so we will at some point have to draft one reasonably high - just not this year ...

It's not crazy at all. Romo is our QB for the next few years. Wasting a high pick on a QB to sit the bench for 3 years would be stupid. If someone falls into their lap in the mid to late rounds, sure take a chance.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Taylor Heinicke is an interesting kid. He's a bit small and I would like to see him with a few less INTs but he certainly put up big numbers.