QB option no 2 could be Derek Carr

garyo1954

Reaction score
I have seen Carr lose 2 games on his own because he couldnt hang on to the ball at the goal line,this guy is not an upgrade on Dak..

And then there are those who see Carr as "the biggest domino to fall in the 2020 QB market."

Because let's be honest here: You've seen worse stat lines than what Carr put up in 2019.

His 4,054 passing yards were the most of his six-year NFL career, and while you'd like to see him throw more than 21 touchdowns in 16 games, he had only eight interceptions, and some missed opportunities were easily attributable to the lack of a top-flight receiver who could blow the lid off of an opposing defense. Once the Antonio Brown project met its toxic conclusion, the best target on the field ended up being tight end Darren Waller.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-of-the-2020-qb-market/ar-BB102uiv?li=BBnba9I

Reactions: CWR

InTheZone

Reaction score
Carr sucks. Stafford is too old.

Some of you may not like it, but Dak Prescott is a top 15 QB. Sometimes he played like a top three, other times he played like a 32. Point is: He MAY get paid by the Dallas Cowboys.
I'd say if Carr is willing to accept $20 mil we take what we can, the drop off would be minimal, if any (I'm considering the offensive support our team has and is much better than most of the league). You still draft a QB in the 1st, but at least you have someone ready right now that isn't trying to mortgage the future of the franchise.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I have seen Carr lose 2 games on his own because he couldnt hang on to the ball at the goal line,this guy is not an upgrade on Dak..
lol that was 2 plays, what about Daks play to end the 2017 and 2019 season?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Carr is a talented QB. It’s silly to say otherwise. However, Cooper would probably know better than anyone in Dallas how the two compare.

quickccc

Reaction score
Galloway was franchise tagged and Jones gave up the 2 #1s to sign him. You can say we traded the draft picks, but that was the compensation to acquire his rights from Seattle on the franchise tag.

Worst franchise-tag decisions
Joey Galloway, WR, Seahawks/Cowboys | Year: 2000

Let's be clear. The Seahawks made a great decision to franchise Galloway, even though he was 29 and had caught only 22 passes in 1999 after an eight-game holdout. The Cowboys made the huge blunder here. They were so infatuated with the idea of adding a playmaking receiver that they sent two first-round picks to acquire Galloway's rights. He never produced a 1,000-yard season for them and scored only 11 touchdowns in three full seasons before being traded again in 2004. The Seahawks used the picks to select running back Shaun Alexander in 2000 and receiver Koren Robinson in 2001.

Oops you're right
I stand corrected. It was the Detroit wr Roy William's trade I confused Joey Galloway with.
and Williams I think we ended up trading straight up for a 1st and a 3rd.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'd say if Carr is willing to accept $20 mil we take what we can, the drop off would be minimal, if any (I'm considering the offensive support our team has and is much better than most of the league). You still draft a QB in the 1st, but at least you have someone ready right now that isn't trying to mortgage the future of the franchise.
Paying Carr 20x what we just paid Dak is a recipe for disaster. Might as well just tank the 2020 season.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Id sooner go with tom brady wife at this point if this is all you have.

if we re going to do crazy ideas, lets just shoot for the stars and watch the view.

Swagger

Reaction score
Dak would be a downgrade for the Raiders. Carr had a slightly higher QB rating overall and a much higher rating when Dak wasn't padding his stats against the Skins/Giants combo.

Dak doesn't have this high league wide value like his slobberers think. I was reading an article where some former league executives don't even think Dak is as good as Darnold. The league wide perception is that he's just a guy standing in a pocket throwing to open guys and I think Dak would get his feelings hurt if he were slapped with a transition tag.
True.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It's NOT the TOP QUARTERBACK that worries me. Dak will be Dallas' QB for many years to come.

The Boys have tempted fate the last few years and gotten away with it because Dak is a big, strong QB, who’s as durable as they come. He fought through a shoulder injury late in the season and has yet to miss a game in his first four seasons unlike Wentzie cough cough who has a handful of fans here on the Zone.

That said, Dallas would be wise to strengthen their backup QB spot. Nothing ruins a season faster than having a backup QB incapable of winning a few games, see '15 season.

MMA knows the value of a solid backup QB as proven in his resume when Wodgers went down. Rush wouldn't keep the Boys competitive should the team need him to play any significant games.

It's obvious Jerry's in win now mode and they’ve built a team that is trying to compete for a Super Bowl in the upcoming season. It would be a shame to have a season go down the drain because they didn’t have a competent backup QB. It could get a tad expensive but some of the options include

Id sooner go with tom brady wife at this point if this is all you have.
And hence the words, family forum.:rolleyes:

InTheZone

Reaction score
Paying Carr 20x what we just paid Dak is a recipe for disaster. Might as well just tank the 2020 season.
ok, if Dak is going to get $35+ it's the lesser of two evils. Or just draft a guy and repeat the process every 4-5 years if the young guy isn't tops in the league.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
ok, if Dak is going to get $35+ it's the lesser of two evils. Or just draft a guy and repeat the process every 4-5 years if the young guy isn't tops in the league.
Yeah, let’s draft a guy then and run the risk of going 0-16. Would rather that than Carr being paid $20 million to stink up the field.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
lol dont think you like him more then me. I remember having convos with you his last yr at fresno state. He's probably the only QB id like over Dak. Well that is available.

Raiders have done this guy no favors in going thru so many coaches in his short time in the nfl.

Yeah, that was a few years ago, for sure. It will be interesting to see what happens with Derek Dallas Carr. I mean, I don't know that I would trade for him but if it comes down to bringing in a Vet who can win ball games for you if we are forced to play without Dak, I would not be opposed to Carr.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I made the case for Matthew Stafford as a possibility and if Det decides to go with Tua I believe it would be a great move to trade for Stafford but only a smart f.o. would make that move. Feels like a Patriots or Saints maneuver.

I would not cave to Dak. I would tag him with the non-exclusive tag and offer him 4 options.
1. sign the tag and play for 27 mil
2. Sign a long term deal at 30 mil per
3. Sign the tag and find a team willing to trade for you.
4. Don't sign the tag and play in the XFL

He would either realize that 30 mil per plus the endorsement opps that come with being the QB for Americas team is a pretty good life or feel disrespected and find a team willing to pay him what he wants and pony up the picks.

So what happens if he finds another team?

This is where QB option no 2 comes in. Derek Carr!

Why would the Raiders do it?
Brady to Raiders is one of the hottest rumors around.
Their f.o is infatuated with Brady
moving to Las Vegas and want to establish a fan base.

Why would Dallas do it?
gain 2 1st rd picks
get a franchise QB at about half the price.
3 years left on a very affordable contract.
Would be able to keep and sign plenty of F.A's.

Carr threw for over 4000 yards last year with a completion percentage over 70% and a very good td to interception ratio. Had inferior receivers. I would rank him a notch below Dak but at half price a better option.
So, you are saying the Raiders would sign both Brady and Dak and give up 2 first round draft picks to Dallas to have Dak back up Brady?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah, let’s draft a guy then and run the risk of going 0-16. Would rather that than Carr being paid $20 million to stink up the field.
Not to mention we lose cooper too if we brought carr on board. People seem to forget cooper was traded out of Oakland and he and Carr were not on the same page at all.

shabazz

Reaction score
If Dak is as good as some here claim to be then 2 firsts is what we should be able to get somewhat easily. Funny how there are crickets after that...

True love is never having to face reality..........

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak is as good as some here claim to be then 2 firsts is what we should be able to get somewhat easily. Funny how there are crickets after that...
That's a nonsense claim. Outside of Mahomes and maybe Russell Wilson there is no QB in the NFL a team would give up 2 1st rounders for. That doesn't mean only Mahomes and Russell Wilson are quality NFL QBs.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Carr sucks. Stafford is too old.

Some of you may not like it, but Dak Prescott is a top 6-10 QB. Sometimes he played like a top three, other times he played like an 8-11. Point is: He will get paid by the Dallas Cowboys.

I don’t like making top 8-10 qbs the top paid qb in the league. That is the problem here. He knows he is a not a top qb right now but he is trying to get top money at the position. That is the ridiculous thing about this whole thing.