QB option no 2 could be Derek Carr

Brax

Reaction score
There isn't a QB in the league that could have made that receiver by committee work, so don't fault Dak for that. I guess you missed the point. You are accusing Jerry of doing things he would not and did not do.
I guess you missed the Joey Galloway deal, and the Roy Williams deals, so it's the kind of stupid deal that is right up Jerry's alley.

StarGazer1

Reaction score
I believe the top upper echelon QBs simply get resigned to lucrative long term deals before they even approach UFA status.
That's one reason why this dak contract impasse is unusual at this time and stage.

Also any poster suggesting dak signs up on cowboys terms or go to the XFL simply has that "my way or the highway" mentality and have

That wasn't a franchise tag related situation
That was just a straight up mega trade.

Galloway was franchise tagged and Jones gave up the 2 #1s to sign him. You can say we traded the draft picks, but that was the compensation to acquire his rights from Seattle on the franchise tag.

Worst franchise-tag decisions
Joey Galloway, WR, Seahawks/Cowboys | Year: 2000

Let's be clear. The Seahawks made a great decision to franchise Galloway, even though he was 29 and had caught only 22 passes in 1999 after an eight-game holdout. The Cowboys made the huge blunder here. They were so infatuated with the idea of adding a playmaking receiver that they sent two first-round picks to acquire Galloway's rights. He never produced a 1,000-yard season for them and scored only 11 touchdowns in three full seasons before being traded again in 2004. The Seahawks used the picks to select running back Shaun Alexander in 2000 and receiver Koren Robinson in 2001.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I guess you missed the Joey Galloway deal, and the Roy Williams deals, so it's the kind of stupid deal that is right up Jerry's alley.
Which Jerry Jones are you talking about? If you want to talk about the Jerry Jones of 20 years ago then yes you are correct. But I was under the impression we were talking about more recent events. Jerry has Stephen next to him now checking his every move wth the team. He would no longer make such foolish trades.

Reactions: CWR

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rules is rules...

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player's position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

So if the cap is $200 million we only have to offer $27 million. If he finds a team willing to pay more, we can match or pass and take the two picks.

Who out there is dumb enough to shell out a 35M+ per year AND 2 first round picks for Dak Prescott?

garyo1954

Reaction score
Who out there is dumb enough to shell out a 35M+ per year AND 2 first round picks for Dak Prescott?

That's Dak's problem. I ain't worrying about it. He'll either play for me under the tag money, or he's going to find a new home. And I don't care which.

That's hardball.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Excuse me, maybe this is a difference in generations but this is not Madden pretend football. We aren't swapping out QBs on a whim because we think they may be a better fit. This is reality, Dak is our QB, Dak will be our QB for the foreseeable future so get use to the idea. Stop with the "options". The Jones boys are married to the idea of Dak being our QB. Imagining alternative realities where Dak is gone and another QB is leading the team is not something that is germane to this team. Those alternate realities are not going to happen.

CWR

Reaction score
I made the case for Matthew Stafford as a possibility and if Det decides to go with Tua I believe it would be a great move to trade for Stafford but only a smart f.o. would make that move. Feels like a Patriots or Saints maneuver.

I would not cave to Dak. I would tag him with the non-exclusive tag and offer him 4 options.
1. sign the tag and play for 27 mil
2. Sign a long term deal at 30 mil per
3. Sign the tag and find a team willing to trade for you.
4. Don't sign the tag and play in the XFL

He would either realize that 30 mil per plus the endorsement opps that come with being the QB for Americas team is a pretty good life or feel disrespected and find a team willing to pay him what he wants and pony up the picks.

So what happens if he finds another team?

This is where QB option no 2 comes in. Derek Carr!

Why would the Raiders do it?
Brady to Raiders is one of the hottest rumors around.
Their f.o is infatuated with Brady
moving to Las Vegas and want to establish a fan base.

Why would Dallas do it?
gain 2 1st rd picks
get a franchise QB at about half the price.
3 years left on a very affordable contract.
Would be able to keep and sign plenty of F.A's.

Carr threw for over 4000 yards last year with a completion percentage over 70% and a very good td to interception ratio. Had inferior receivers. I would rank him a notch below Dak but at half price a better option.

As much as I like Dak, I like your scenario even better. I think its too good to be true though.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Which Jerry Jones are you talking about? If you want to talk about the Jerry Jones of 20 years ago then yes you are correct. But I was under the impression we were talking about more recent events. Jerry has Stephen next to him now checking his every move wth the team. He would no longer make such foolish trades.

I don't know what Stephen Jones has accomplished to have earned such trust with some fans, but I'm pretty sure he was right next to Jerry when they tried to trade up into the first round to draft Paxton Lynch.

Thankfully, Denver saved them from that mistake. :facepalm:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I made the case for Matthew Stafford as a possibility
Made the case? Saying "Stafford is better" isn't making anything - it's just stating an opinion. :muttley:

By what measure is Stafford better?

completion %? No
yards per completion? No
TD %? No
INT %? No
passer rating? No
Wins & losses? No

Throw in that he's older and more fragile and you get two more reasons why there's no evidence to support the claim that Stafford would be an upgrade.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't know what Stephen Jones has accomplished to have earned such trust with some fans, but I'm pretty sure he was right next to Jerry when they tried to trade up into the first round to draft Paxton Lynch.

Thankfully, Denver saved them from that mistake. :facepalm:
I was in favor of that too. At the time I so wanted Paxton Lynch on the team. And who knows if that would have worked out well for us. That is an alternate reality that we will never know about. It's as if the football gods intervened and said "no, Paxton has another destiny. You may have Dak Prescott." But I digress. Stephen Jones has been a godsend to this team since Jerry has started giving him more say-so on the football operations. We'll just have to disagree on that point.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Another reason to like Derek Carr is his initials are the same as Dallas Cowboys. Not to mention his middle name IS Dallas!

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Made the case? Saying "Stafford is better" isn't making anything - it's just stating an opinion. :muttley:

By what measure is Stafford better?

completion %? No
yards per completion? No
TD %? No
INT %? No
passer rating? No
Wins & losses? No

Throw in that he's older and more fragile and you get two more reasons why there's no evidence to support the claim that Stafford would be an upgrade.
Do Dak slobberers even bother verifying their stupidity these days? Stafford was better in most of those categories just last season. This only verified that Dak slobberers didn’t watch a game past Week 3 last year.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Do Dak slobberers even bother verifying their stupidity these days? Stafford was better in most of those categories just last season. This only verified that Dak slobberers didn’t watch a game past Week 3 last year.
Stafford is a loser, but I can understand why Romo slobbers like him.

Brax

Reaction score
Oh god another Stephen is running the show, A tiger doesn't change his stripes or a leopard his spots and you are delusional if you believe Jerry doesn't call the shots. 20 years ago,wasn't it a season and a half ago trading a #1 for a season and a half rental possibly on a WR needed to prop Dak up? The more you say thing change the more they stay the same with Jerry repeating past mistakes. What do you call that the new Jerry amd Stephen team work . Wake up your fan blinders are showing. Jerry is the worse GM in the NFL and if he wasn't the owner he would of been fired 25 years ago and all Stephen says yes Daddy..

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how is he proven?

Having been a starting QB in the league for a few years, he has demonstrated what he is capable (and not capable) of. Everyone has seen the stats. So yes, he is "proven" compared to a draft pick rookie, who has never played a game in the NFL. Maybe he's no Brees or Brady, but he has shown he's not Paxton Lynch or Johnny Manziel either.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Oh god another Stephen is running the show, A tiger doesn't change his stripes or a leopard his spots and you are delusional if you believe Jerry doesn't call the shots. 20 years ago,wasn't it a season and a half ago trading a #1 for a season and a half rental possibly on a WR needed to prop Dak up? The more you say thing change the more they stay the same with Jerry repeating past mistakes. What do you call that the new Jerry amd Stephen team work . Wake up your fan blinders are showing. Jerry is the worse GM in the NFL and if he wasn't the owner he would of been fired 25 years ago and all Stephen says yes Daddy..
Did I say Stephan is running the show? No, I did not. Jerry is obviously calling the shots but his son's opinion weighs more than it did 20 yrs ago.

Acquiring Cooper in the middle of the 2018 season was a good thing. If you think it propped up Dak, then how did Gallup get a thousand yards receiving the following year. Dak wasn't propped up by anyone. That's just what Dak haters say to make themselves feel better.

You have a lot of hate in you. You obviously hate the Jones boys too. That much hate cause a lot of irrational postings by you. I'm getting kind of tired of reading your crazy rantings. It makes you a perfect candidate to be added to my ignore list.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
2 first round picks for Dak??? No way in hell. He’s not worth that and even Jerruh is smart enough not to ask for such a thing. Now, I do think Dak is better than Carr and will get signed to a deal soon enough....

Brax

Reaction score
Did I say Stephan is running the show? No, I did not. Jerry is obviously calling the shots but his son's opinion weighs more than it did 20 yrs ago.

Acquiring Cooper in the middle of the 2018 season was a good thing. If you think it propped up Dak, then how did Gallup get a thousand yards receiving the following year. Dak wasn't propped up by anyone. That's just what Dak haters say to make themselves feel better.

You have a lot of hate in you. You obviously hate the Jones boys too. That much hate cause a lot of irrational postings by you. I'm getting kind of tired of reading your crazy rantings. It makes you a perfect candidate to be added to my ignore list.
Feel free to Ignore please as you are very emotional and not very rational as most Dak and Jones apologists are, I don't hate anyone that's your hang up, sad oh so sad you have such a limited grasp of the facts and have fan mental block as bad as you do.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I have seen Carr lose 2 games on his own because he couldnt hang on to the ball at the goal line,this guy is not an upgrade on Dak..