QB option no 2 could be Derek Carr

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Carr sucks. Stafford is too old.

Some of you may not like it, but Dak Prescott is a top 6-10 QB. Sometimes he played like a top three, other times he played like an 8-11. Point is: He will get paid by the Dallas Cowboys.

Sorry but if Dallas could get Derek Carr away from Oakland then go get him.

Dallas applies the non-exclusive tag on Dak which allows him to go to Oakland and seek the deal he wants (Dallas also applies the transition tag to WR Amari Cooper which pays him the average of the Top 10 WR's or seek a deal with another team which Dallas can match or walk away with no draft compensation; Dallas also signs CB Byron Jones to a contract in this scenario).

Then Dallas and Oakland negotiate a trade wherein Oakland gets Dak Prescott and Dallas' 2020 1st round draft pick (#17 overall) and in return Dallas gets QB Derek Carr, Oakland's 1st round pick (#12 overall), other 1st round pick (#19 overall), and one of their 2020 3rd round draft picks (#80 overall). Based on the nfl trade value chart, Oakland's (2) 1st round draft picks and 3rd round pick are equal to 2,265 points whereas Dallas' 1st round pick is worth 950 points, therefore placing Dak at the value equivalent of the #9 pick in the 1st round.

Dallas then gets a quality new QB in Derek Carr (he had his best statistical year in 2019 as he had a solid running game and decent WR's....much like Dallas would have) who is affordable (2020 cap hit $21.5M, 2021 cap hit $22.125M, and 2022 cap hit $19.877M) while also having the #12 and #19 picks in the 1st round, #51 in the 2nd round, #80 and #82 in the 3rd round (plus the remainder of their draft picks).

In the draft Dallas selects WR CeeDee Lamb with the #12 draft pick (Cooper's replacement), Safety Grant Delpit with the #19 pick, DL Justin Madubuike with the #51 pick, DE Jabari Zuniga with the #80 pick, and TE Adam Trautman with the #82 pick.

Dallas now has the money left over to then sign WR Michael Gallup to a contract extension and re-sign DE Robert Quinn and WR Randall Cobb to 3-year deals each while getting a new, young outside WR, a fix at FS (shift Woods to starting SS), an improved DT to replace free agent DT Collins, a young DE to add to the depth, and a young up and coming TE.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

Flamma

Reaction score
I think Dak would have trouble finding a team that would pay him 30 mil even if that team didnt have to give up 2 first round picks.

I think so too. This is why I suggested they transition tag him. Four years and Dallas hasn't even sniffed a championship without paying (besides Romo's dead cap) the position, and Dallas is going to miraculously do better after paying it? You'd have to bank on it all being coaching.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
LOL....I need to find a way to shut up, you know? I go through these numbers seeing QBs like Carr, Dalton, Keenum putting up similar numbers to Dak on truly inferior teams and they are garbage. While Dak is all-world, has superior talent, and can't make the play-offs.

LOL......
spot-on, good post.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak struggled late because of his injured shoulder. If healthy, they make the playoffs imo.

Or if he had just put up 13 points against NO or 14 against NE (he was healthy in those games, wasn't he?) we would have made the playoffs. By the way if a player is cleared to play then he obviously is healthy enough to play that excuse by you guys is getting old. Heck to Dak's credit he won't even use it as an excuse

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You think you're getting 2 firsts for Dak? lol
Miami got two first round picks for Tensil from Houston. Dak is a better quarterback then Tensil is a left tackle. You just have to find the team that wants him. If his agent is holding out for more money believe me, there is a team other then the Cowboys that will pay him.

Flamma

Reaction score
Miami got two first round picks for Tensil from Houston. Dak is a better quarterback then Tensil is a left tackle. You just have to find the team that wants him. If his agent is holding out for more money believe me, there is a team other then the Cowboys that will pay him.

There will always be a need for a good T. That will never change. How many teams other than the Dallas Cowboys need Dak so much that they would pay that much for him? A team that both doesn't currently have a QB and isn't in line to pick one up in the draft? That list will be very small. You have to consider that.

Brax

Reaction score
If Dak is as good as some here claim to be then 2 firsts is what we should be able to get somewhat easily. Funny how there are crickets after that...
The only GM stupid enough to give up 2 firsts for a QB of Dak's talent works for the Cowboys, does that tell everyone how this will work out.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I made the case for Matthew Stafford as a possibility and if Det decides to go with Tua I believe it would be a great move to trade for Stafford but only a smart f.o. would make that move. Feels like a Patriots or Saints maneuver.

I would not cave to Dak. I would tag him with the non-exclusive tag and offer him 4 options.
1. sign the tag and play for 27 mil
2. Sign a long term deal at 30 mil per
3. Sign the tag and find a team willing to trade for you.
4. Don't sign the tag and play in the XFL

He would either realize that 30 mil per plus the endorsement opps that come with being the QB for Americas team is a pretty good life or feel disrespected and find a team willing to pay him what he wants and pony up the picks.

So what happens if he finds another team?

This is where QB option no 2 comes in. Derek Carr!

Why would the Raiders do it?
Brady to Raiders is one of the hottest rumors around.
Their f.o is infatuated with Brady
moving to Las Vegas and want to establish a fan base.

Why would Dallas do it?
gain 2 1st rd picks
get a franchise QB at about half the price.
3 years left on a very affordable contract.
Would be able to keep and sign plenty of F.A's.

Carr threw for over 4000 yards last year with a completion percentage over 70% and a very good td to interception ratio. Had inferior receivers. I would rank him a notch below Dak but at half price a better option.
Let’s bring in Carr who looked horrible with Cooper. Makes sense

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The only GM stupid enough to give up 2 firsts for a QB of Dak's talent works for the Cowboys, does that tell everyone how this will work out.
Except he only gave up a 4th round pick for Dak. LOL

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There will always be a need for a good T. That will never change. How many teams other than the Dallas Cowboys need Dak so much that they would pay that much for him? A team that both doesn't currently have a QB and isn't in line to pick one up in the draft? That list will be very small. You have to consider that.
The quarterback is the most important position in the NFL. Dak has the best NFL agent. He would have signed already if that is all the money he can get. Don’t let your Dak hate cloud your judgement. The man is a top 12 quarterback. A cornerback with a bad attitude got two first round picks. If they offer him the non exclusive tag. His agent will get someone to bite.

Brax

Reaction score
Except he only gave up a 4th round pick for Dak. LOL
I guess you missed the point completely! You also forgot about the first used to rent a WR needed to prop Dak up but that's another story.

quickccc

Reaction score
When was the last time any NFL team went after and successfully acquired a franchise tagged free agent player, en route to 2 first round picks?

Way back in the late 80s with Wilbur Marshall
From Chicago to Washington?

StarGazer1

Reaction score
When was the last time any NFL team went after and successfully acquired a franchise tagged free agent player, en route to 2 first round picks?

There was that certain "smart" owner who in 2000 gave up 2 #1 picks for Joey Galloway who was under the franchise tag by Seattle.

Proof

Reaction score
Interestingly enough ,what I'm reading , to tag Dak would cost around 26M .

26 million vs. 40 million .

Thats a tough choice for Jerrah and Johnny Walker ; for everybody else (excluding Dak fanatics) it should be a fairly simple choice .

you understand that’s entirely guaranteed money, right? And then assuming you want to keep him after it jumps exponentially to tag him (all guaranteed) again, or you’re giving him a bigger deal than you could right now, but having already given him 26 mil guaranteed.

Proof

Reaction score
Best landing spot would be Washington where Jack del Rio is the defensive coordinator. Del Rio was his coach when he won MVP and went to the play-offs.
Unless Rivera wants his old guy, Cam Newton.

Either case Haskins would become the backup, or up for trade.

What planet do you live on where Derek Carr has won MVP??

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I guess you missed the point completely! You also forgot about the first used to rent a WR needed to prop Dak up but that's another story.
There isn't a QB in the league that could have made that receiver by committee work, so don't fault Dak for that. I guess you missed the point. You are accusing Jerry of doing things he would not and did not do.

quickccc

Reaction score
I believe the top upper echelon QBs simply get resigned to lucrative long term deals before they even approach UFA status.
That's one reason why this dak contract impasse is unusual at this time and stage.

Also any poster suggesting dak signs up on cowboys terms or go to the XFL simply has that "my way or the highway" mentality and have
There was that certain "smart" owner who in 2000 gave up 2 #1 picks for Joey Galloway who was under the franchise tag by Seattle.

That wasn't a franchise tag related situation
That was just a straight up mega trade.

garyo1954

Reaction score

Google Franchise Tag. There is a list going back to 2007 of every player who had been tagged in the Wiki.

Then Google Sean Gilbert.

What planet do you live on where Derek Carr has won MVP??

The planet where writers don't bother checking their facts and you take the article as being factual. His MVP season was actually 2016. He finished third. But I suppose to some overzealous fan/writer, third is as good as winning?

Good catch! Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited: