QB options to bring in in FA to compete be a Back up to Dak

rags747

Reaction score
Stetson Bennett had a little trouble this am in Dallas evidently.

basel90

Reaction score
I won't argue that. but Brady wasn't here. he didn't want to come here. he had a choice to make and he made the right choice, went to tampa and got a ring. injuries did them in this year.

and we Grapolo, we probably not even make the playoffs. and now Purdy is the new darling of NFL. are you going to hitch your wagon to Purdy. lets see how he does next year.

and Jalen has hands down the best OL in the NFL. the 5th best rushing game. loaded WR group (top 5) and a top 5 TE and the 2nd best defense in the league. yeah, give me that and I lead you to 8 wins easily
jalen is playing much better than dak and is considered a much more dangerous QB with his mobility. Wouldn't you agree?
garopolo is a much more accurate passer . now his injury and rehab is ongoing . but we saw him last year in dallas and his stats are superior especially the accurncy and turnovers/

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Of course Tom brady maybe available but i doubt he wants to play for jerry. He was available 2 years ago at 26 million when dak was adamant he is worth 42 mil ( 160 mil guaranteed SMH)!! we could have won a SB with brady instead of what we have.

Aaron rodgers ( cannot afford him with Dak's contract chocking all the cap space)

I can think of the following especially if Rush is gone
Jimmy Garopolo
Chade Henne
Baker Mayfield
Casey Keenum
Sam Darnold
If those are the choices lets just take are chances in the draft, Dak can do what they can do and if we have to pay him anyway why pay them also for the same production. And no i dont mean we can go for a legit top QB in the draft as we just dont have that trade capitol that i see.

basel90

Reaction score
If those are the choices lets just take are chances in the draft, Dak can do what they can do and if we have to pay him anyway why pay them also for the same production. And no i dont mean we can go for a legit top QB in the draft as we just dont have that trade capitol that i see.
you will get your wish as with Dak's contract cost and no trade we are stuck wth him and with no CCG or SB appearances. He is just not it.
But it is well worth taking a chance on some of these QBs as some of them are better than dak .

basel90

Reaction score
oh, so you want to win the spreadsheet war. not games....you and jerry align very well in your objectives of maximizing profits.
cap space gives you options in FA . with dak's cost there ain't much cap left . and he is not worth half that contract. this is the main issue with Dak. it is a trap...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
you will get your wish as with Dak's contract cost and no trade we are stuck wth him and with no CCG or SB appearances. He is just not it.
But it is well worth taking a chance on some of these QBs as some of them are better than dak .
Not that they have shown again Like Dak dont like Dak, you would bring them here to bus drive, Its not my wish its just the facts. Your going to pay Dak this season in some form or fashion (unless he voids his contract) and if you can not upgrade it then your just changing the name of the QB for no upside only less cap than you already have to fill holes in the roster that all those QB's will need around them the same as Dak...again thats just the facts.

basel90

Reaction score
Not that they have shown again Like Dak dont like Dak, you would bring them here to bus drive, Its not my wish its just the facts. Your going to pay Dak this season in some form or fashion (unless he voids his contract) and if you can not upgrade it then your just changing the name of the QB for no upside only less cap than you already have to fill holes in the roster that all those QB's will need around them the same as Dak...again thats just the facts.
yes his contract is hard fact indeed. and painful. but look at the 49ers, Purdy a very cheap 7th rounder comes in and has won more playoffs than the cowboys in 28 years already. Philly won a SB game with foles as a FA pick up. You can find QB talent that can catch fire , rather than die with dak.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
yes his contract is hard fact indeed. and painful. but look at the 49ers, Purdy a very cheap 7th rounder comes in and has won more playoffs than the cowboys in 28 years already. Philly won a SB game with foles as a FA pick up. You can find QB talent that can catch fire , rather than die with dak.
Sure you draft a flyer QB, in another thread i said look at TCU QB Max Duggan (yes I'm biased to TCU) but if you could get him later in the draft I would do that. Your options are tiny this year on what can be done unless Dak agrees to change the contract (not restructure as that just kicks the can down the road). Your other problem with bringign in another QB to push Dak is aside from this years wierd INT problem he will generally play very well in the regular season.... so while the fan base will be bracing for a letdown from the offense in the playoffs the coaches have to look at what is currently happening and believe thier eyes. I know the easy answer for some is "Replace him" or "Bring in competition" which Im 100% on board with at every position... when was the last time the coaches came out of training camp saying "Dak looks bad in camp"....

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
JJ doesn't like QB competition.
No GM likes it when they have paid franchise money to them... BB is about the only one i would imagine who would like it..lol. To me though its Gauranteed contracts, to be honest there was some need for it but it also comes with horrible problems.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Sure you draft a flyer QB, in another thread i said look at TCU QB Max Duggan (yes I'm biased to TCU) but if you could get him later in the draft I would do that. Your options are tiny this year on what can be done unless Dak agrees to change the contract (not restructure as that just kicks the can down the road). Your other problem with bringign in another QB to push Dak is aside from this years wierd INT problem he will generally play very well in the regular season.... so while the fan base will be bracing for a letdown from the offense in the playoffs the coaches have to look at what is currently happening and believe thier eyes. I know the easy answer for some is "Replace him" or "Bring in competition" which Im 100% on board with at every position... when was the last time the coaches came out of training camp saying "Dak looks bad in camp"..
Dak always looks good in camp. It’s playing in actual NFL games he has issues with.

basel90

Reaction score
Sure you draft a flyer QB, in another thread i said look at TCU QB Max Duggan (yes I'm biased to TCU) but if you could get him later in the draft I would do that. Your options are tiny this year on what can be done unless Dak agrees to change the contract (not restructure as that just kicks the can down the road). Your other problem with bringign in another QB to push Dak is aside from this years wierd INT problem he will generally play very well in the regular season.... so while the fan base will be bracing for a letdown from the offense in the playoffs the coaches have to look at what is currently happening and believe thier eyes. I know the easy answer for some is "Replace him" or "Bring in competition" which Im 100% on board with at every position... when was the last time the coaches came out of training camp saying "Dak looks bad in camp"....
agree with you , but didn't we have this conversation 2 years ago . and i told you he is good but not top 5 or 10 to overcome jerry's other messes on the roster. Dak still continues to be up and down and in the playoffs it is usually a one and done as we have seen . But the options now are very limited with his contract. I also agree with you jerry does not want to give dak competition as he is adamant he paid all that money for an elite QB. it is just jerry's way of justifying his picks and mistakes and overpaid stars .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
jalen is playing much better than dak and is considered a much more dangerous QB with his mobility. Wouldn't you agree?
garopolo is a much more accurate passer . now his injury and rehab is ongoing . but we saw him last year in dallas and his stats are superior especially the accurncy and turnovers/
he is a better runner and dual threat. but is he better passer? grapolo is ok as a passer. SF drafted a top 5 pick to replace him. and been trying to trade him since and no buyers.

they both have better OCs and coaches and supporting cast. jalen plays with a great great OL, great WR group, top 5 TE, great run support, great head coach and OC who maximize his strengths and a top 2 defense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
cap space gives you options in FA . with dak's cost there ain't much cap left . and he is not worth half that contract. this is the main issue with Dak. it is a trap...
again, Dak's cap hit was 17, 19M the past two years. where are all the FAs we wanted to sign and couldn't?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Of course Tom brady maybe available but i doubt he wants to play for jerry. He was available 2 years ago at 26 million when dak was adamant he is worth 42 mil ( 160 mil guaranteed SMH)!! we could have won a SB with brady instead of what we have.

Aaron rodgers ( cannot afford him with Dak's contract chocking all the cap space)

I can think of the following especially if Rush is gone
Jimmy Garopolo
Chade Henne
Baker Mayfield
Casey Keenum
Sam Darnold