QB Rankings, tiers, and young QB's

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
1. Those that hate Romo and simply love to find a guy, any guy and say, "See I told you it was all Romo's fault". hence the Dak love.
I don't think it's "Romo hate" when the guy wasn't successful in the playoffs ever. Some want to keep blaming players, and some are correct, but it's always been coaching and Jerry since Jimmy left. That's who to blame and anybody saying Romo or Dak are garbage is just false

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to see Prescott play on a team like Darnold had to this season. We would then see his true worth. If he proved me wrong then I would hold my hands up.

It's difficult to quantify how good Prescott really is compared with the other younger quarterbacks as our offense has so many resources pumped into it that few others have had the benefit of.

Some people have dismissed and written off Sam Darnold as a bust but actually take a minute to consider what he has around him. He might well be a bust in time but in my view it's utterly brainless to have formed that judgement already. The guy hasn't had a fair shake. Wow that O-Line!

Dak is surrounded by the best a QB can have and managed to go 8-8....

dfense

Reaction score
Haha Wentz had game winning drives that mattered Haha against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL that also happened to be division opponents. He barely beat them by the way when Dak beat them by an average of 20 plus points. Also that silly comment that Dak isn't clutch and Romo had all these game winning drives, you know Dak has played 4 seasons and had the most come back/ game winning drives in the NFL. Or does this year only count cause the entire team quit on the coach and Daks numbers were down........... although he had career highs across the board.
I guess when you're in love you see past all the worts. It's going to be a lot harder to push the coaching blame this year though. I hear accuracy really improves with QBs after year 6 or 7.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I guess when you're in love you see past all the worts. It's going to be a lot harder to push the coaching blame this year though. I hear accuracy really improves with QBs after year 6 or 7.
I have never said Dak was perfect, of course he has things he needs to work on. That being said, I'm not going to exaggerate even it comes to Dak. He is a top 10 QB and at times played like a top 5 QB. Having McCarthy work with Dak will go a huge way in Dak taking the next step and being more consistent with his play.

dallasdave

Reaction score
TIER 1 - Football Jesus

Mahomes

TIER 2 - Dominant and in their Prime, Not going anywhere

Wilson
Rogers

TIER 3 - Freak athletic skills until that first broken leg

Jackson

TIER 4 - Trying to be in TIER 2, entering primes and TBD if dominant or serviceable veteran

Prescott
Goff
Watson
Garrapalo
Wentz

TIER 5 - Still Dominant at times but just a game away from retirement

Brady
Brees
TIER 6 - Serviceable Veterans with Different Shelf Lives

Ryan
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Cousins
Stafford

TIER 7 - One year wonder, or ready to move up to TIER 6?

Bridgewater
Tannehill

TIER 8 - Trying to be in TIER 4, could drop to TIER 10, only in this TIER because of their youth

Allen BUF
Mayfield
Jones
Trubinsky
Murray
Allen CAR
Darnold

TIER 9 - Break open only if you couldn't get a good draft pick or a vet in Tier 6 or 7

Dalton
Flacco
Winston
Fitzpatrick
Brissett

TIER 10 - QB Hell, Career Bench Warmer

Many, many names
Nice post, good breakdowns

kskboys

Reaction score
Absolutely, with the nonsense they post the only logical explanation is what you said. The entire Dak can't throw 250 yards a game, can't throw every pass, only dink and dunk, no pocket awareness, holds the ball too long and can't throw 4000 yards and 30 TDs have all went out the window. Now it's because of garbage time........I thought Dak couldn't do all that even in garbage time.
I remember all that nonsense. Proven unequivocally wrong, they've had to come up w/ a brand new bash.

I personally am of the opinion that we're going to see a brand new Dak, due to finally having a competent staff.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I remember all that nonsense. Proven unequivocally wrong, they've had to come up w/ a brand new bash.

I personally am of the opinion that we're going to see a brand new Dak, due to finally having a competent staff.
I agree. McCarthy has done well with QBs and I'm excited at what he can do with Dak.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
For me, its not about throwing away every QB until you find one that is elite. I would take ANY QB in the first 3 tiers, pay him, and roll with him. Romo was there and good enough for me. I know some think you need an elite QB, but history shows that is not the case.

Here is my current order up to 16:

Tier 1. (Elite)
1. Mahones
2. Rogers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Wilson

Tier 2.
6. Rothlisberger
7. Jackson (somewhat of a gimmick QB. Needs a system completely designed for his running style)
8. Watson

Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

My QB theory is that you pay and roll with anyone in those top 3 tiers. I would also note that anyone in that third tier you could change around the order and they are generally in the same level of QB. Wentz I would put in the 3rd tier, but he is hurt too often. Rivers is on his last leg. I highlighted the guys in red that in a year or two will probably retire. I put the guys in blue that represent the youngest QB's.

I would also note that I would NEVER stop drafting QB's and developing young QB's even if I had a franchise QB. Position is too important.

Do you people understand that Lamar Jackson won a damn Heisman at Louisville...in Bobby P.'s offense? Stop saying dumb crap like Jackson needs a particular system around him.

He doesn't.

Section446

Reaction score
Good post, I agree with your tiers with the exception of Goff, I think he's a tier 4 guy.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
For me, its not about throwing away every QB until you find one that is elite. I would take ANY QB in the first 3 tiers, pay him, and roll with him. Romo was there and good enough for me. I know some think you need an elite QB, but history shows that is not the case.

Tier 1. (Elite)
1. Mahones
2. Rogers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Wilson

Tier 2.
6. Rothlisberger
7. Jackson (somewhat of a gimmick QB. Needs a system completely designed for his running style)
8. Watson

Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

My QB theory is that you pay and roll with anyone in those top 3 tiers. I would also note that anyone in that third tier you could change around the order and they are generally in the same level of QB. Wentz I would put in the 3rd tier, but he is hurt too often. Rivers is on his last leg. I highlighted the guys in red that in a year or two will probably retire. I put the guys in blue that represent the youngest QB's.

I would also note that I would NEVER stop drafting QB's and developing young QB's even if I had a franchise QB. Position is too important.

I agree with your list, however, I’d replace Dak with Wentz. Dak went 8-8 with one of the best rosters in the NFL. Wentz went to the playoffs with his practice squad. Sure he gets hurt a lot, however, availability means nothing if your team continues to fail even in your presence anyways.

ghst187

Reaction score

Tier 1. (Elite)
1. Mahones
2. Rogers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Wilson

Tier 2.
6. Rothlisberger
8. Watson

Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

I love to watch Watson play but no way is he a better QB than Dak. He’s very inconsistent.
I think Roth is done.
I’d rank Dak in same category as Stafford and Ryan but I think they will never win anything and Dak is still getting better.

movaughn88

Reaction score
I agree with your list, however, I’d replace Dak with Wentz. Dak went 8-8 with one of the best rosters in the NFL. Wentz went to the playoffs with his practice squad. Sure he gets hurt a lot, however, availability means nothing if your team continues to fail even in your presence anyways.

You guys are nuts. Dak did have a lot around him on OFFENSE, and he ran the #1 offense in the NFL, even with an overly conservative head coach.

The defense was mediocre to bad, being tied for last in the league at generating turnovers.

And the ST was the absolute worst in the league by a mile, probably lost 2 games.

Flamma

Reaction score
When I put quarterbacks in tiers I try to simplify it. Keep in mind, I am considering these QBs in their prime. Tier 1 QBs being reserved for the best. Brees, Brady, Mahomes types.

Tier two being very good QBs, but just don't have enough to be elite. They can play elite on occasion, but are not consistent enough to be considered elite. You may have just as many people argue for them being elite as those that say they aren't. QBs, like Romo, Stafford at one point, Boomer Esiason, Rivers, Watson, guys like that.

Tier 3 is pretty much everyone else that doesn't outright suck to being a decent QB. Bridgewater, Cousins, the guy from the 49ers I can't spell, Tannehill, Carr. These are the guys that need a really good supporting cast.

Tier 4 is....need I explain?

That's my simplified way to rank them. The QBs in the first two are usually going to get the big contracts. Some of the tier 3 guys will get them, but only if their team has success.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
You guys are nuts. Dak did have a lot around him on OFFENSE, and he ran the #1 offense in the NFL, even with an overly conservative head coach.

The defense was mediocre to bad, being tied for last in the league at generating turnovers.

And the ST was the absolute worst in the league by a mile, probably lost 2 games.

For the last time. #1 OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE MEANS NOTHING. WE LEAD THE LEAGUE IN YARDS. CONGRATS! All those yards accounted to 8-8. Totally worth it, right? Wrong. Even in PPG, we were 6th, but unfortunately, they don’t account for garbage time points. Packers, Bears, And Bills all has garbage time points. We wouldn’t be that high in points if those games weren’t accounted for.

I agree the defense and ST were atrocious, however, that’s not an excuse. The offense trots on the field after ST and defense are done. They stalled on multiple drives in crucial times. They deserve plenty of blame themselves.

Wentz is still better. Again, he did more with less. I don’t care what anyone else says. Dak could barely lead his team to a winning record last year before he got his main weapon in Amari. 3-5? Seriously? Our WR’s weren’t that bad at the time. Gallup, Beasley, and Austin. Allen Hurns and Cedrick Wilson (I think) as well. Can’t forget Zeke.

Try those nameless receivers Wentz had. Dak would crumble and falter. Even Wentz’s main receivers are worse than Dak’s and he does better than Dak. Agaholor? Jeffrey? They suck. He still lead his team to the playoffs. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Wentz is great/elite either, but he’s better than Dak. Better accuracy and long balls. Wentz is basically better at everything besides leadership (which, who cares? I’d rather have a POS QB that can lead his team to multiple SB’s than a loser leader) and durability.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It astounds me how much some folks take Prescott for granted. There is an old saying about letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Here is a young QB who has averaged 10 wins a season, who has thrown 97 TDs vs. 36 INTs, who has passed for nearly 16,000 yards, who has completed 66% of his passes, and who has a career 97.0 QB rating. These are remarkable numbers.

McCarthy's history suggests he will help Prescott elevate his game. If that happens, the Cowboys will have a remarkable QB, indeed.
I’m guessing this was ignored like the other posts that contain facts as opposed to how one feels.

To all those that don’t get it or like to avoid facts so they can stay safely in their odd self imposed state of denial: pay attention.

People are trying to help you understand things about the game and your team. Accept the help. Please.

Can anyone refute this post of @Shake_Tiller ‘s ? Or even reply to it?

If not, maybe you’re not seeing things as clearly as you thought and you should rethink your position.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It astounds me how much some folks take Prescott for granted. There is an old saying about letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Here is a young QB who has averaged 10 wins a season, who has thrown 97 TDs vs. 36 INTs, who has passed for nearly 16,000 yards, who has completed 66% of his passes, and who has a career 97.0 QB rating. These are remarkable numbers.

Those stats sound fantastic except when you look at these stats.
Very interesting stats about Dak Prescott. Looking at these his completion percentage in the redzone is lower than a lot of QBs.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/redzone-passing.htm