QB Salary Cap Discussed by Owners

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Doesnt need to be a rule, but I think eventually the NFL may look at the NBA model and implementing a luxury tax.
Here is an article explaining it:

Simply put, the luxury tax is a system designed to reward teams for staying under a set limit of spending — and punish those that don't.

As mentioned above, a salary cap does exist in the NBA. The exact cap will be decided during the July moratorium (a period when league officials determine the exact figures for the upcoming season), but current estimates project it will be somewhere around $136 million.

Here's where it gets a little confusing. Teams are allowed to use certain exceptions to exceed the salary cap, including bi-annual exceptions, mid-level exceptions, Bird rights, and more. For more information on those, you can read up here.

Teams can use exceptions to exceed the salary cap, often by a lot. But they can only spend so much before they get hit with the luxury tax.

There is an additional luxury tax line separate from the salary cap. This year, it is projected to be set at around $165 million. The further teams go past the luxury tax line, the more fees they will have to pay. The exact fees are determined annually using a complex formula, but you can find the figures from the 2021-22 season below, per HoopsRumors.com.

• $0-5 million above tax line: $1.50 per dollar (up to $7.5 million)
  • $5-10 million above tax line: $1.75 per dollar (up to $8.75 million)
  • $10-15 million above tax line: $2.50 per dollar (up to $12.5 million)
  • $15-20 million above tax line: $3.25 per dollar (up to $16.25 million).
  • For every additional $5 million above tax line beyond $20 million, fees increase by $0.50 per dollar.
The penalties are also more severe for teams labeled "repeat offenders." This means they have exceeded the luxury tax line in three out of the last four seasons. Here are the fees for repeat offenders:

• $0-5 million above tax line: $2.50 per dollar (up to $12.5 million)
  • $5-10 million above tax line: $2.75 per dollar (up to $13.75 million)
  • $10-15 million above tax line: $3.50 per dollar (up to $17.5 million)
  • $15-20 million above tax line: $4.25 per dollar (up to $21.25 million)
  • For every additional $5 million above tax line beyond $20 million, rates increase by $0.50 per dollar.
Those harsh punishments for teams above the tax line have served as an effective deterrent for reckless spending. Only five teams are projected to exceed the luxury tax line in 2023-24. Those teams are listed below, along with the projected fees they would have to pay.

(All figures taken from Spotrac.)

TeamPayrollLuxury tax spaceLuxury tax fees
LA Clippers$201.9 million$-36.8 million$155.5 million
Golden State Warriors$181.1 million$-16.1 million$48.6 million
Phoenix Suns$175 million$-10.1 million$16.4 million
Boston Celtics$173.3 million$-8.3 million$13.2 million
Miami Heat$173.1 million$-8.1 million$13 million
There is one final wrinkle with the current luxury tax system. As of the 2023-24 season, a new "second apron" will be added that brings another hurdle for teams well over the luxury tax line. Any team that ends up $17.5 million above the luxury tax threshold will face even more severe punishments, including losing its mid-level exception, essentially limiting them to only signing players on minimum contracts.
Alternatively, the NFL could impose Draft penalties on contracts which 'exceed' the agreed threshold. This wont restrict competition and/or bidding, but will give a greater 'penalty' for exceeding.

Then again Owners reap what they sow, they all made their money making deals and finding value.......but then 'stupidly' overpay rather than base their expenditure on value (my pet Jerry hate).

Chasing6

Reaction score
There really doesn't need to be a rule. If you can't pay a QB and field a competitive team, don't pay the QB. It hasn't gotten to that point yet. Maybe paying a QB will force you to lose a player like Parsons or Lamb. That's totally up to the owner/GM. It's not forced on them.
There really needs to be a change with how QB's are drafted. High first round picks should be immediate impact starters. With the QB mis rate it makes little to no sense to draft them that high.

Once they start getting drafted lower, then their contracts will come back down to reality.

I never understood if your team completely sucks and you have the number 1 overall pick how a QB is going to help you. QB's are the most dependent players on a team.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://syndication.bleacherreport....y-some-owners-amid-growing-contracts.amp.html

I've been saying this, at what point will a QB finally make 100 million a season?? 20 percent of the cap that's a lot!
That's how important and valuable a talented top-tier QB is to any team including ours.
How many SB would the Pats or the Chiefs have today without Tom and Patrick?
Problems start when you pay an average QB top tier $ which is a formula for failure right fellow Cowboy fans????? :huh:
Pay them and pay them big if they have the magic if they don't keep looking till you find one that does!!!!

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
People laughed when I said this. There is going to be a reckoning league wide with QBs. A QB cap could be one way they go but another way might be teams deciding to sign mid-level QBs for half the cost of an elite QB and then using the cap space to load up the rest of their roster, especially on offense, as best they can.
I believe the Jones are choosing this route presently

GINeric

Reaction score
Purdy, Hurts, Love, Stafford and Goff all epitomized in the average joe category...... all with better recent play-off wins than Dak.
Stafford is 11-72 vs teams with winning records. The year the Rams won the Superbowl, Stafford led the NFL in interceptions. There were 14 other quarterbacks who would have won the Superbowl with the Rams that season. Stafford went along for the ride.

With that said, name me the roster and coaching staff that Dak had that was better than what Purdy, Hurts and Goff had..... I'll wait.

Love does appear to be special, I'll give you that.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It won't be Dak...
:muttley:
the-mask-thats-gotta-hurt.png

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's how important and valuable a talented top-tier QB is to any team including ours.
How many SB would the Pats or the Chiefs have today without Tom and Patrick?
Problems start when you pay an average QB top tier $ which is a formula for failure right fellow Cowboy fans????? :huh:
Pay them and pay them big if they have the magic if they don't keep looking till you find one that does!!!!
Sometimes when they don't win you anything and you continue to pay them what sense does that make? Time to move on

jrumann59

Reaction score
"There has certainly been discussion within the league among certain owners about even the idea of a quarterback cap, that at some point you don't want quarterback numbers to go over a certain percentage of your salary cap," NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said Tuesday during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show (6:10 mark). "To my knowledge, that hasn't really gained traction, in part because so many teams have paid their quarterbacks."
All they need to do is grandfather current deals as they stand. If the current contracts are equal to or over the proposed cap those contracts will count as 100% of the cap until the current deal as it stands is off the books, re-negotiated, or that player is traded or cut. Really not all that difficult for it to get traction.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's getting to a point where they may have to blow the whole thing up and start over because I cannot see ownership dipping that much deeper to cover these outrageous salaries that have gone off the rails. Baseball is getting totally out of control with the $600 million plus salaries that are not going to be sustainable in the very near future. Next you are going to witness players demanding shares in teams if the owner wants to sign them. Once players get control of teams it's going to be over in a NY minute.............
Something needs to change quickly

jrumann59

Reaction score
Teams just need to stop paying guys top dollar for below top dollar performance.
The problem is there are/were teams that "weaponized" the cap to a degree. Remember when the Jags were so far under the cap they started giving out generous deals to get above the floor.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes when they don't win you anything and you continue to pay them what sense does that make? Time to move on
LOL...........At least the majority have been to a NFC/AFC Championship game or the Superbowl.
Tell me it isn't so?
Guys who get the bag and have 2 playoff wins in 8 seasons should receive 0 considerations for an extension at any price tag!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
People laughed when I said this. There is going to be a reckoning league wide with QBs. A QB cap could be one way they go but another way might be teams deciding to sign mid-level QBs for half the cost of an elite QB and then using the cap space to load up the rest of their roster, especially on offense, as best they can.
I've been waiting years for teams to go cheap and disposable at QB.
Especially QBs who can run.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Stafford is 11-72 vs teams with winning records. The year the Rams won the Superbowl, Stafford led the NFL in interceptions. There were 14 other quarterbacks who would have won the Superbowl with the Rams that season. Stafford went along for the ride.
....and he still managed what Dak couldn't. He also kept his composure and helped orchestrate two late comeback wins on the SB run.
OH, TO GO ON THE RIDE....DAK JUST ABOUT STARTS THE ENGINE.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
....and he still managed what Dak couldn't. He also kept his composure and helped orchestrate two late comeback wins on the SB run.
OH, TO GO ON THE RIDE....DAK JUST ABOUT STARTS THE ENGINE.
Stafford is 10 times the QB Dak will ever be.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
With that said, name me the roster and coaching staff that Dak had that was better than what Purdy, Hurts and Goff had..... I'll wait.

Love does appear to be special, I'll give you that.
Well Purdy's exempt as he's not getting paid. Hurts accepted the longer contract and so the Eags are able to play out the early 'cheap' years.
The interesting comparison is with Goff. Both have their weaknesses, but Goffs can be overcome (with O-Line protection), where as Daks is the composure under pressure....which is extremely difficult to counter as it pretty much means he has to have a full set of offensive weapons, a running game, o-line and complete defense to ensure the score is kept down.....and counter the running game to stop the clock and give him time to get himself together.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL...........At least the majority have been to a NFC/AFC Championship game or the Superbowl.
Tell me it isn't so?
Guys who get the bag and have 2 playoff wins in 8 seasons should receive 0 considerations for an extension at any price tag!
They need to make you a GM right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!