QB Salary Cap Discussed by Owners

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Somehow singling and capping QBs seems illegal.
Such as restraint of trade.
Should be illegal for a guy to have a good season, or be here for 8 years and not win big, but command top dollar because the market dictates it

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The players will not agree to grant owners anything the owners value without getting something of equal value in return. So there is no upside for the owners financially.
That's what the cap does, it says the players should get X% of revenue. Setting some sort of structure around what % each position could\should get of the cap # would benefit more players because it would maintain a balance whereby it would limit how many dollars the QB could hog.

I don't think it has to be a "rule" in the rule book but more so a common way that teams choose to operate so the player & agent know what top of the range is and that teams aren't going outside that bidding against each other.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Exempt QB's from the salary cap. I couldn't care less if Jerry wants to pay Dak $100M/year I just don't want it to make it impossible for us to sign CD, Micah, etc. If you take QB out of the cap, you have money to build the rest of your team. Yes, some positions will continue to make absurd money like Jefferson got and like what CD is gonna get, but you can absorb that better without a $50-60M QB hamstringing you.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Stafford is 11-72 vs teams with winning records. The year the Rams won the Superbowl, Stafford led the NFL in interceptions. There were 14 other quarterbacks who would have won the Superbowl with the Rams that season. Stafford went along for the ride.

With that said, name me the roster and coaching staff that Dak had that was better than what Purdy, Hurts and Goff had..... I'll wait.

Love does appear to be special, I'll give you that.
Your Stafford take is quite one sided. Matthew Stafford had a passer rating of 102.9 with 4,886 yards, 41 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 17 games in 2021. I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let's not forget Kupp won the triple crown that year or that they had multiple injuries during the playoff run & that Stafford himself left the SB and came back to engineer the winning drive. No, there were not 14 other QB's who would have won the Superbowl with the Rams that season.

Per awards & honors, haven't the Cowboys had as many or more players than SF or Detroit in recent years? Coaching staffs are significantly harder to judge of course and I would give the other teams the nod.

Flamma

Reaction score
They should not have a huge advantage now. If you pay $25M more at QB than another team, then they should be $25M better somewhere else in the field.
The only time you're paying that much more is if one team either has a QB on a rookie deal, or doesn't have a QB at all. But there's not much of a difference between Daniel Jones and Mahomes money.

Flamma

Reaction score
In what's so frequently termed a 'COPYCAT League', why cant teams see that it's only Elite or Rookie/low CAP% QB's tend to get to SB's. If you dont have elite QB's and there are very few of them, you may as well go Plan B.
If we're playing a computer sim, this is exactly what owners would do. But owners aren't overly concerned with championships. Money is involved and most owners are just happy competing in the regular season. If the only goal was a championship, you wouldn't see Daniel Jones getting a 40M a year contract. Or Baker Mayfield getting 100M from Tampa. There are a few teams that do go all out. But not a lot. Cowboys, sadly aren't one of them. They used to be.

Flamma

Reaction score
There really needs to be a change with how QB's are drafted. High first round picks should be immediate impact starters. With the QB mis rate it makes little to no sense to draft them that high.

Once they start getting drafted lower, then their contracts will come back down to reality.

I never understood if your team completely sucks and you have the number 1 overall pick how a QB is going to help you. QB's are the most dependent players on a team.
It's interesting that you brought that up. I think the last QB drafted in the top 5 to win a SB by the team that drafted him was back in 2006. You can't count Eli, he wasn't drafted by the Giants.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They do not need a league rule. They just need to practice self restraint. The Browns did not have to trade for Watson then give him a stupid contract, they choose to. The Cowboys do not have to overpay Dak again, they are choosing to. Maybe what they should do is only allow up to 4 year contracts for free agents changing teams while the team that drafted said player can still do the 5-6+ year extensions as normal.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Exempt QB's from the salary cap. I couldn't care less if Jerry wants to pay Dak $100M/year I just don't want it to make it impossible for us to sign CD, Micah, etc. If you take QB out of the cap, you have money to build the rest of your team. Yes, some positions will continue to make absurd money like Jefferson got and like what CD is gonna get, but you can absorb that better without a $50-60M QB hamstringing you.
Its an interesting topic, but ultimately I don't think it really matters. You take away QBs making 20% of the cap and the Lamb and Parsons level players are just going to ask for a bigger piece of the pie.

If you're going to have a hard salary cap system then your always going to have those issues.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
well who are you going to "find to replace him?"

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Should be illegal for a guy to have a good season, or be here for 8 years and not win big, but command top dollar because the market dictates it
The NFLPA would never let this happen, but I would love to see a smaller salary cap and the league make each team pitch in $20M per season ($640M per year total), and use that money as reward money for teams that go the furthest. I'd split that $640m evenly for each playoff game and award it to the winner of each game.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't know how they can make a QB CAP work. I don't think the NFLPA will agree to it anyway. If they CAP QB salaries, they will be able to CAP other salaries as well. That's not the answer.

If you look at what is going on with QB and WR salaries it is pretty easy to see teams believe these two positions are critical for winning. On the other hand, look at RB salaries. Obviously teams believe RB are not as important as QBs and WRs. Maybe the answer is to fix that. Change the rules to balance out running and passing. Make the QB less important and RBs more important. They probably won't do that either, but football is become a one player sport.

conner01

Reaction score
They need to do something. When any average Joe like Dak can demand to be the top paid QB in the league and potentially make more than a 4 time super bowl champion, something is wrong and needs to change.
Capping any one position or player is probably the best option. It also benefits the majority of players since it leaves more money for the other 52. But selling the nflpa on the idea may be a hard sell even though it benefits more players

conner01

Reaction score
QBs will go the way of the RBs and be rotated every four years. This model can't sustain itself.
Never gonna happen. The difference in top 5 RB and middle of the pack RB is not that significant. But at QB is huge

conner01

Reaction score
I don't know how they can make a QB CAP work. I don't think the NFLPA will agree to it anyway. If they CAP QB salaries, they will be able to CAP other salaries as well. That's not the answer.

If you look at what is going on with QB and WR salaries it is pretty easy to see teams believe these two positions are critical for winning. On the other hand, look at RB salaries. Obviously teams believe RB are not as important as QBs and WRs. Maybe the answer is to fix that. Change the rules to balance out running and passing. Make the QB less important and RBs more important. They probably won't do that either, but football is become a one player sport.
Easiest solution is cap the pct of cap any one player can make. That actually benefits the other 52. You’d need to tighten the rules about teams reaching the cap to sell it and it won’t be easy. But the sales pitch is overall more players make larger salaries

Creeper

Reaction score
Easiest solution is cap the pct of cap any one player can make. That actually benefits the other 52. You’d need to tighten the rules about teams reaching the cap to sell it and it won’t be easy. But the sales pitch is overall more players make larger salaries
I don't think its going to work. Let's say they cap the QBs at 25% of the CAP and that is $60 million this year. Next year the CAP goes up another 8% or about $20 million. Now the QB can get 25% of that or 5 million. Now the QB salary is capped at $65 million. Seems like the problem just continues as it has as long as the salary CAP continues to increase at about 8% per year.

I think the league is going to have to think about some kind of exemptions. I have long proposed exemptions for players drafted by a team and then stayed with the team for a long time, like 8-10 years. I'd like to see teams get exemptions for these players so they can be retained by the teams that drafted them and retire with those teams instead of going to some other team for a year or 2 and finishing their careers in exile. I just think this is better for the game of football. Fans want to see their favorite players stay with the team and retire with their team.

Perhaps they can carve out an exemption for QBs. Maybe 90% of the QBs salary hits the CAP and 10% is exempted. This might have the opposite effect though. It may cause QB salaries to rise faster. Or maybe each team can exempt 1 player entirely from the salary CAP. Whatever they do the CAP analysts on each team will adjust their CAP strategy I am sure.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
QBs will go the way of the RBs and be rotated every four years. This model can't sustain itself.
was thinking that too how the running back market isn't valued as it once was, it would be funny to see them grab a hold of this the same way

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's interesting that you brought that up. I think the last QB drafted in the top 5 to win a SB by the team that drafted him was back in 2006. You can't count Eli, he wasn't drafted by the Giants.
QB's need to be drafted as a developmental player, not as a franchise player. They develop into a franchise player.

Too many GM's fall in love with their measurables and future potential, when they should be focusing on who they are today.

The Niners accidentally showed what the new blue print should look like. Draft smart, experienced QB's, over hyperbole athletes with 1 year of experience.