QB Salary Cap Discussed by Owners

conner01

Reaction score
I don't think its going to work. Let's say they cap the QBs at 25% of the CAP and that is $60 million this year. Next year the CAP goes up another 8% or about $20 million. Now the QB can get 25% of that or 5 million. Now the QB salary is capped at $65 million. Seems like the problem just continues as it has as long as the salary CAP continues to increase at about 8% per year.

I think the league is going to have to think about some kind of exemptions. I have long proposed exemptions for players drafted by a team and then stayed with the team for a long time, like 8-10 years. I'd like to see teams get exemptions for these players so they can be retained by the teams that drafted them and retire with those teams instead of going to some other team for a year or 2 and finishing their careers in exile. I just think this is better for the game of football. Fans want to see their favorite players stay with the team and retire with their team.

Perhaps they can carve out an exemption for QBs. Maybe 90% of the QBs salary hits the CAP and 10% is exempted. This might have the opposite effect though. It may cause QB salaries to rise faster. Or maybe each team can exempt 1 player entirely from the salary CAP. Whatever they do the CAP analysts on each team will adjust their CAP strategy I am sure.
Exemptions will never happen. That bypasses the cap and the owners aren’t bypassing the cap. But keep in mind the league knows pretty close to what the cap will be for multiple years. The fact the cap goes up doesn’t affect an existing contract anyway. You sign a guy today where he’s paid what amounts to 25% he still gets paid the amount of the contract so the increase woukd just mean his pct goes down. But in general contracts get higher in later years anyway so I don’t see that being an issue

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They need to do something. When any average Joe like Dak can demand to be the top paid QB in the league and potentially make more than a 4 time super bowl champion, something is wrong and needs to change.
There are 17 QBs making $30M average. So it's not just about Dak. 12 making 40M or more. 7 making 50M or more.

And it's the owners fault. They are the ones handing out contracts to average Joe's. Players can ask for whatever. Hold out. Whatever. Owners hand out contracts. They don't have to.

They have a salary cap. So their payout is capped.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't think its going to work. Let's say they cap the QBs at 25% of the CAP and that is $60 million this year. Next year the CAP goes up another 8% or about $20 million. Now the QB can get 25% of that or 5 million. Now the QB salary is capped at $65 million. Seems like the problem just continues as it has as long as the salary CAP continues to increase at about 8% per year.

I think the league is going to have to think about some kind of exemptions. I have long proposed exemptions for players drafted by a team and then stayed with the team for a long time, like 8-10 years. I'd like to see teams get exemptions for these players so they can be retained by the teams that drafted them and retire with those teams instead of going to some other team for a year or 2 and finishing their careers in exile. I just think this is better for the game of football. Fans want to see their favorite players stay with the team and retire with their team.

Perhaps they can carve out an exemption for QBs. Maybe 90% of the QBs salary hits the CAP and 10% is exempted. This might have the opposite effect though. It may cause QB salaries to rise faster. Or maybe each team can exempt 1 player entirely from the salary CAP. Whatever they do the CAP analysts on each team will adjust their CAP strategy I am sure.
You do realize no one is paying 25%.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They should not have a huge advantage now. If you pay $25M more at QB than another team, then they should be $25M better somewhere else in the field.
It's managing cap year to year vs. Averages.

What you said is not necessarily correct.

It all bulks at the end that you either apply to that year or split in two years and rebuild.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There should have already been a maximum wage in place just as there is a minimum wage. The money would then be more evenly distributed among the team.

Quarterback would still be the highest paid position on average, but he wouldn't be getting paid up to 50 times more than some of the other players.
There is. Sort of. There is a cap for the team. You have 53 players.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just go to the obvious Moneyball System - Constantly draft QBs in the 1st round every year. If you find the guy that wins the SB on his rookie deal then pay him, but also keep drafting QBs in the 1st so that you can keep trading them for multiple picks, and be ready to switch QBs if your highly paid QB is no longer getting it done.
What?:huh:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL...........At least the majority have been to a NFC/AFC Championship game or the Superbowl.
Tell me it isn't so?
Guys who get the bag and have 2 playoff wins in 8 seasons should receive 0 considerations for an extension at any price tag!
Which majority?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Top ten QB teams have a huge advantage now. If the 49ers do well again this year, Brock Purdy is going to want 60M a year. That would be paid more than Mahomes. Which team has the advantage?
It does not matter what the QB wants. It matters how the FO prepares for that day in advance.

Look how the Niners planned for Aiyuk. They new what he wanted, they new what they were willing to pay and then drafted a WR in round 1.

CD is holding all of the cards in Dallas. Aiyuk has no cards. Niners will offer what they think is fair and then trade him. That is how real GM's run an NFL team.

They will most likely talk to Purdy's agent early and if he is demanding $60M, they can draft another QB or pick up an experienced vet to be a Bus Driver.

Havic

Reaction score
Hard cap has been in effect for 30 years. Jerry lead the charge for this. It is hard for me to envision a bunch of old guard owners wanting to change a system that has done nothing but guarantee huge profits and line their pockets for three decades.
At the rate qb contracts are going, it’s unsustainable imo

Chasing6

Reaction score
Hard cap has been in effect for 30 years. Jerry lead the charge for this. It is hard for me to envision a bunch of old guard owners wanting to change a system that has done nothing but guarantee huge profits and line their pockets for three decades.
Worst mistake GM Jethro ever made. He could have kept buying SB's. However, it was a great business decision for the NFL.

Jerry is equally concerned, if not more so about the NFL, than he is of the Cowboys. He was smart enough to know the Cowboys don't exist or can't grow, without a successful NFL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I really don’t know how they’re going to be able to cap QB salaries. How can you limit what a player can make? They’ll have to do the same thing to edge rusher and WRs. You just have to keep raising the cap so teams are able to pay QBs.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
There is no cap for coaches. Why not have no cap on the QB because the league knows, everyone knows 20% of the team's salary is going to go to the QB. It would make it an even keel. teams can be more competitive by having better players and not have to worry so much about cap.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So the guys responsible for driving up QB salaries are trying to now place a cap on those salaries? Isn’t that textbook collusion?
correct and would be against the current CBA...none of this happens without a new CBA.. the owners roll the players regularly in this negotiations but i dont see this going over well with either side actually.

EGTuna

Reaction score
A QB cap does nothing but give the owners more powers. These dudes beg for tax payer $ to fund their stadiums (under threat of leaving), release players for any reason, and make way more than any single player or position through jacked up tickets, vending, merchandise and other partnerships. Especially Jerry:

The poster who suggested the NBA luxury tax is spot on, because that would force teams to truly spend above the cap to keep players and actually go “all in” vs gaslighting their fans into what “all in” means.