QBs rarely win Superbowls on extension expensive contracts

basel90

Reaction score
I’m telling you it’s not worth it.

The delusion on this forum is wild.

We just watched Tampa and GB move on from HOF QBs and go deeper in the playoffs than us but we HAVE to give Dak whatever he wants and we do nothing in the post season.
Agree . He had the best OL and Running game at some stage and did nothing. Am not putting all failures on him but paying him what he demands will only keep this team handicapped cap wise . This team needs studs on defense and OL and some other key parts .

basel90

Reaction score
This is pretty much true, except for Mahomes. Mahomes was still technically on his rookie contract when he got to his first two super bowls. But last year Mahomes was not on a rookie deal, and did not have a team friendly cap hit. He was 17% of the cap. I think that's the highest in history to win a SB.

Mahomes is a higher cap hit than Dak this year. The AFC Championship is being played by two QBs not on their rookie deals. Mahomes coming in at 16.8% of the cap. Lamar at a more team friendly 9.8%.

There's only one team out of the remaining four that has a QB on a rookie deal. Jared Goff takes up 13.6% of the cap.
Yes agree . I think mahomes showed he has stratospheric potential and KC was right to lock him In long term . He has delivered big time anyway .
i don’t think any franchise or coach want to make the patriots and beliceck.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
This is nonsense - total bs

You need a stud qb. Doesn’t matter what his contract is..

Is Lamar’s contract a problem? Mahomes? No. Enough of this stupidity
Contracts should have no bearing on good quality play.

If it does, you have the wrong player and should bail fom the contract. Players who chase the "bag" need not apply. Do you cheer for them to reach incentives, and do well...yes.

But they should be consistent in their performance, and hopefully get better from experience.

LocoBates

Reaction score
Now compare the coaches.
:facepalm: Like your beloved QB says... "here we go" .... excuses excuses....

They should use your quote during the contract negotiations... you feel like you don't have the coaches to win SB? Don't get paid like you have won a SB.
As a friendly reminder Cowboys have already changed OC, HC, DC, QBC and even water boy and Dak keeps choking.

I say it is time to let him play out his current contract and move on.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
:facepalm: Like your beloved QB says... "here we go" .... excuses excuses....

They should use your quote during the contract negotiations... you feel like you don't have the coaches to win SB? Don't get paid like you have won a SB.
As a friendly reminder Cowboys have already changed OC, HC, DC, QBC and even water boy and Dak keeps choking.

I say it is time to let him play out his current contract and move on.
I'm not defending Dak here. His last game was inexcusable.

I just think Cowboys fans have to stop pretending Mike McCarthy is in the same conversation as Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Kyle Shanahan. They are leaps and bounds better than him.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Just come out and say, I don't like Dak Prescott, I want him gone. That's a lot more interesting than the constant brain scrambling anecdotal content just to say, I don't like Dak Prescott.
It's time to move on. You think Dak will improve next year and give a worthy playoff performance, the likes we haven't seen from him since 2016?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

I just think Cowboys fans have to stop pretending Mike McCarthy is in the same conversation as Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Kyle Shanahan. They are leaps and bounds better than him.
Who compared him to those? There has to be some kind of change, but it appears there will be none.

basel90

Reaction score
Who said anything about Dak? This thread is about paying QBs and rookie contracts. Get a grip. My godd I said nothing about Dak.
OP clearly mentions Dak as a case in point. hope this clarifies . Plus this is a cowboys related forum .

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Mike McCarthy has done a unbelievable job with Dak.

I was all for firing him for Belichick but let’s be clear. He is a offensive guru and a unbelievable QB coach.

John Harbaugh can’t touch McCarthy as an X’s and O’s guy.

Andy Reid and Kyle Shannahan are unreal. We could’ve gone and got either one of them but we needed Garrett.

LocoBates

Reaction score

OK fair point. I agree McCarthy is not at the level of Reid, Shanahan, Harbaugh ... just as much as Dak is not at the level of the respective QBs.

But just remember McCarthy already has 1 SB and that's one of the key reasons why he was brought in. So who would you put as Coache(s) for Dak to be worth the money he demands? (meaning, for Dak and Cowboys to win a SB ... because the current contract is already at that level) There are some available out there right now, would you pick any of them?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Who said anything about Dak? This thread is about paying QBs and rookie contracts. Get a grip. My godd I said nothing about Dak.
People like this will find a outlier but cheaply paid QBs are the way to go unless your guy is BIGTIME and doesn’t need the perfect team surrounding them to carry them.

If we’re down a linebacker the whole boat can sink with Dak as our QB.

Aven8

Reaction score
The bold is the key. We already gave Dak a "win us a SB" contract and don't even have a conference title game appearance. Now, we are going to do that again and expect a different result.
3 contracts is way too much, but having said that he does win football games, and owns the NFC East. He just doesn’t play well in big games. Jerry and Stephen seem fine with this. Where KC wants multiple SB’s, the Jones would be fine with just one at this point. Frustrating, but most likely realistic

Gambit

Reaction score
OK fair point. I agree McCarthy is not at the level of Reid, Shanahan, Harbaugh ... just as much as Dak is not at the level of the respective QBs.

But just remember McCarthy already has 1 SB and that's one of the key reasons why he was brought in. So who would you put as Coache(s) for Dak to be worth the money he demands? (meaning, for Dak and Cowboys to win a SB ... because the current contract is already at that level) There are some available out there right now, would you pick any of them?
How many coaches have one Superbowls with more than one team, as HC?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
3 contracts is way too much, but having said that he does win football games, and owns the NFC East. He just doesn’t play well in big games. Jerry and Stephen seem fine with this. Where KC wants multiple SB’s, the Jones would be fine with just one at this point. Frustrating, but most likely realistic
The Jones’s are fine with things.

The standard of a championship is not their priority. They’ve made that very clear with their actions.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
This is known as a claim.

Now, you're going to be asked to support your claim.

We will be waiting for your list of better options at QB.
For me, it is a gamble finding a better guy than Dak, but at this point you just have to know when to move on. The cap hit just isn't worth it for a quarterback who has one of the worst playoff records.