QBs rarely win Superbowls on extension expensive contracts

Aven8

Reaction score
The Jones’s are fine with things.

The standard of a championship is not their priority. They’ve made that very clear with their actions.
They like doing things their way like Broaddus said. Comfortable got us Gailey,Wade, and JG forever. These Coaches have no say and they get to have their radio shows, etc.

I remember on the last Hard Knocks or whatever that show was when JG was a cussing fool, both Jerry and SJ sitting in on coaching meetings….ridiculous

Gambit

Reaction score
For me, it is a gamble finding a better guy than Dak, but at this point you just have to know when to move on. The cap hit just isn't worth it for a quarterback who has one of the worst playoff records.
Oh, I'm not saying we shouldn't look to move on. The cap hit makes it problematic at this point. I just see the team doing that.

What I tire of is claims like one above with zero substantiating proof.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
For me, it is a gamble finding a better guy than Dak, but at this point you just have to know when to move on. The cap hit just isn't worth it for a quarterback who has one of the worst playoff records.
Riding losers for fear of the unknown is definitely a poor strategy.
Putting your team in this lose/lose position is proof of poor football business decisions

Creeper

Reaction score

QBs typically win super bowls on rookie contracts or team friendly contracts, Brady , Aaron Rogers , Mahomes , Wilson etc .
But now Dak wants an SECOND. Extension mammoth contract ? He has had that and has not delivered .
sometimes I wonder is it Jerry or Stephen approving such decisions.

Tom Brady? Peyton Manning? Eli Manning? Patrick Mahomes? Those are just the QB who won Super Bowls. On the losing side there is Ben Roethlisberger, and Matt Ryan, among others. I think this theory is just not on solid ground.

Sure, teams with young QBs on their rookie contracts have had great success, but I don't think it can be said that QB on their second or third contracts can't win a Super Bowl.

Again, I will keep drilling this point home. It is not that the Cowboys can't afford to sign good players in free agency. They choose not to even when they have the CAP room or can make the CAP room to do so.

Take 2021. The Cowboys had just re-signed Dak to his $160 million contract. His first year of the deal he had a $17 MM CAP hit. That year Dallas signed 12 free agents. Among them Terell Basham for $3.25 million per year and Keanu Neal for $5 million. The other 10 got $1.75 MM or less.

O f course the Cowboys had to sign their own free agents, Noah Brown, Malik Turner, Cedrick Wilson, CJ Goodwin, Jourdan Lewis among them. Lewis got the most at about $5 million per year. They let Awuzie leave via free agency.

The point is Dallas had CAP room and used it on over a dozen JAGs and benchwarmers.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All u need is a QB who helps not hurts. Sadly, it's been awhile

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Most of those great QBs have proven to be capable of either winning the Super Bowl or at least taking their teams there...therefore justifying the big contract they have earned. If you've proven yourself to be able to lead your team all the way then the team should have confidence in being able to "run it back" for more chances at a championship.
The Cowboys and Dak haven't even come close yet they want to keep him around forever. Just doesn't make sense to me :huh:

And now the excuse to keep Dak is to make his job easier by giving him an elite defense, elite running game and OL...all while paying him a big contract to keep him around to basically be a bus driver. Doesn't make any sense at all

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
...but Brock Purdy only makes $889k. Why can't we just draft our starting QB with the last pick in the draft and go to back-to-back NFC Championship Games?

I'm thinking Kedon Slovis from BYU or Taulia Tagovailoa from Maryland should do the trick.
When teams draft quarterbacks, they all use certain metrics - arm strength, mobility, size, speed, running ability, hand size, college stats, college play, physical tests, mental tests, personality tests and others to rank the quarterbacks.

If the guy doesn't measure up, he doesn't get drafted. Which is why you don't see 5-6, 165 lb, can't-throw-but-30 yds and runs a 5.2 forty yard dash guys drafted. There's also some analysis as well, but a player has to have at least some of the measurables.

So Purdy has worked out well, doesn't mean the 49ers ignored everything else and drafted Purdy because "well, I just got a feeling he's gonna be great!".

Pretty sure Dallas drafted Dak because even though he had shortcomings, he had enough good points that they felt with coaching he might be able to be coached up to a level sufficient to win a SB or SBs. Didn't work out, but it wasn't a matter of total ignorance of what you need to be a successful NFL quarterback...

IAmLegend

Reaction score
This game feels over already. Chiefs likely Super Bowl bound yet again. Unreal.

conner01

Reaction score
This is nonsense - total bs

You need a stud qb. Doesn’t matter what his contract is..

Is Lamar’s contract a problem? Mahomes? No. Enough of this stupidity
There is one of the 4 QB’s who could be in this SB on first contract.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All u need is a QB who helps not hurts. Sadly, it's been awhile
Dak can be that guy but the juggernaut you need around him is not possible by paying him like he’s a top QB.

He’s just not capable of being one of these guys that carry you deep into the playoffs with his ability alone.

If Dallas can win the way they do with Cooper Rush I have no doubt they can put a better team on the field with Lance than they can Dak.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is nonsense - total bs

You need a stud qb. Doesn’t matter what his contract is..

Is Lamar’s contract a problem? Mahomes? No. Enough of this stupidity
Lamar is an athlete. Not a QB.

Kwyn

Reaction score

QBs typically win super bowls on rookie contracts or team friendly contracts, Brady , Aaron Rogers , Mahomes , Wilson etc .
But now Dak wants an SECOND. Extension mammoth contract ? He has had that and has not delivered .
sometimes I wonder is it Jerry or Stephen approving such decisions.

So, these days we have a new, unprovable stat about winning being related to “team friendly contracts” which is actually a myth.

Brady’s “friendly” contract wasn’t legit because TB12 was paid millions “under the table” through his personal trainer.

We should stick with “rookie deals are good for teams” because owners taking advantage of the rookie pay scale surprises no one.

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
The people claiming that Dak doesn't have a coach like Andy Reid and try to use that as an "excuse" to make Dak look better don't realize that if Andy Reid was here, he would have gotten rid of Dak long ago

He already did it once with his own version of Dak, Alex Smith

The same thing with Lafleur, he got rid of Garoppolo.

The reason Dak still has a job is because of incompetent yes men but any "good" head coach would have moved on as their history shows