QBs rarely win Superbowls on extension expensive contracts

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
That’s cool. Means nothing
I can bet good money that Jared Goff gets exposed tonight.

The SB will be played by a superstar QB and a Game manager on a team friendly deal.

Those are your two options of realistically reaching and winning a SB.

Mahomes has a "worse" team than Purdy because of his salary but Mahomes is great enough to overcome. Purdy , because of his salary, has the luxury of being surrounded by an all star supporting cast.

You can't be Brock Purdy and ask to be paid top Dollar because he NEEDS help.

Mind boggling how people can't comprehend this.

nobody

Reaction score
Dak can be that guy but the juggernaut you need around him is not possible by paying him like he’s a top QB.

He’s just not capable of being one of these guys that carry you deep into the playoffs with his ability alone.

If Dallas can win the way they do with Cooper Rush I have no doubt they can put a better team on the field with Lance than they can Dak.
I disagree somewhat. Dak used to be that guy if he had the juggernaut you need around him which was not possible given the salary cap.
Something happened to him mentally though and for 3 years in a row he's choked in the playoffs....so no, I don't think he's that guy unless the defense plays lights out in the playoffs and scores itself to help him a lot.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
This is a flawed stats because Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes have won 6 of the last 9 SBs. So “QBs not named XXXX have a very hard time of winning the SB”.

The other 3 were Stafford, Peyton, and Foles, all on contracts 3 or 4

Mannix

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson will be gone from Baltimore WAY before we move on from Dork....they are a very smart organization, and we are idiots.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys face a very unique situation with Dak because no matter how much his haters hate, he is actually not a bad quarterback. Bad QB's don't throw for 4500 yards and 36 touchdowns at this level.

Dak is like a kid in school that gets straight A's the entire year and then flunks his final exam.

So if you are the Cowboys do you dump Dak thinking just any QB can get you 12 wins three years in a row? And assuming you do, are you certain changing the QB would have changed the playoff result against Green Bay? Because I am not so sure.

I know we need more from Dak in the playoffs. What I don't know is if the "anybody but Dak" path even gets you to the playoffs in the first place. Because the Packers game showed us this team has a lot more flaws than just the quarterback.

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
The Cowboys face a very unique situation with Dak because no matter how much his haters hate, he is actually not a bad quarterback. Bad QB's don't throw for 4500 yards and 36 touchdowns at this level.

Dak is like a kid in school that gets straight A's the entire year and then flunks his final exam.

So if you are the Cowboys do you dump Dak thinking just any QB can get you 12 wins three years in a row? And assuming you do, are you certain changing the QB would have changed the playoff result against Green Bay? Because I am not so sure.

I know we need more from Dak in the playoffs. What I don't know is if the "anybody but Dak" path even gets you to the playoffs in the first place. Because the Packers game showed us this team has a lot more flaws than just the quarterback.

Stats are worthless.

Look at Alex Smith's stats with the chiefs.

This isn't a "unique" situation, this has happened before with other teams like the Chiefs, 49ers, and Bengals in recent history.

Guys like Alex Smith, Jimmy Garoppolo and Andy Dalton were "good enough" but always faltered in the playoffs (except for jimmy G)

Those teams are now real contenders because they had the common sense and guts to look for more than "good enough"

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

QBs typically win super bowls on rookie contracts or team friendly contracts, Brady , Aaron Rogers , Mahomes , Wilson etc .
But now Dak wants an SECOND. Extension mammoth contract ? He has had that and has not delivered .
sometimes I wonder is it Jerry or Stephen approving such

Typically? Great QBs on rookie deals make a huge difference bc cap dollars can be spent on other positions.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Pretty much agree with you assessment of Dak. Great season stats and chokes in the playoffs.

Rush was 5-1 and Dalton had a winning record while Dak was out.

Neither guy is asking for 60 million though like Dak is, i think.

I'd keep Dak at a reasonable salary, but if he asks for 60 million vs 25 million gow can we really upgrade other positions?

kskboys

Reaction score
I can bet good money that Jared Goff gets exposed tonight.

The SB will be played by a superstar QB and a Game manager on a team friendly deal.

Those are your two options of realistically reaching and winning a SB.

Mahomes has a "worse" team than Purdy because of his salary but Mahomes is great enough to overcome. Purdy , because of his salary, has the luxury of being surrounded by an all star supporting cast.

You can't be Brock Purdy and ask to be paid top Dollar because he NEEDS help.

Mind boggling how people can't comprehend this.
Not so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score

Depends on his pay. There is simply no way we can pay him 50 mil+ and win a super bowl.

basel90

Reaction score
Tom Brady? Peyton Manning? Eli Manning? Patrick Mahomes? Those are just the QB who won Super Bowls. On the losing side there is Ben Roethlisberger, and Matt Ryan, among others. I think this theory is just not on solid ground.

Sure, teams with young QBs on their rookie contracts have had great success, but I don't think it can be said that QB on their second or third contracts can't win a Super Bowl.

Again, I will keep drilling this point home. It is not that the Cowboys can't afford to sign good players in free agency. They choose not to even when they have the CAP room or can make the CAP room to do so.

Take 2021. The Cowboys had just re-signed Dak to his $160 million contract. His first year of the deal he had a $17 MM CAP hit. That year Dallas signed 12 free agents. Among them Terell Basham for $3.25 million per year and Keanu Neal for $5 million. The other 10 got $1.75 MM or less.

O f course the Cowboys had to sign their own free agents, Noah Brown, Malik Turner, Cedrick Wilson, CJ Goodwin, Jourdan Lewis among them. Lewis got the most at about $5 million per year. They let Awuzie leave via free agency.

The point is Dallas had CAP room and used it on over a dozen JAGs and benchwarmers.
agree indeed with the cowboys the Qb cap hit is not the main issue as they did not know what to do with Dak at 2 million rookie deal either .
the issue today is that at 60 mil it is much more unlikely to work either . Crazy stuff

basel90

Reaction score
So, these days we have a new, unprovable stat about winning being related to “team friendly contracts” which is actually a myth.

Brady’s “friendly” contract wasn’t legit because TB12 was paid millions “under the table” through his personal trainer.

We should stick with “rookie deals are good for teams” because owners taking advantage of the rookie pay scale surprises no one.
Yes agree . It is just a theory . With the cowboys neither scenarios worked anyway .

zeke21

Reaction score
This is pretty much true, except for Mahomes. Mahomes was still technically on his rookie contract when he got to his first two super bowls. But last year Mahomes was not on a rookie deal, and did not have a team friendly cap hit. He was 17% of the cap. I think that's the highest in history to win a SB.

Mahomes is a higher cap hit than Dak this year. The AFC Championship is being played by two QBs not on their rookie deals. Mahomes coming in at 16.8% of the cap. Lamar at a more team friendly 9.8%.

There's only one team out of the remaining four that has a QB on a rookie deal. Jared Goff takes up 13.6% of the cap.
Great post. I think the key difference is that Mahomes had already shown that he could 'get it done' before he got his big extension and even that extension was (relatively) team friendly. All the talk from Chiefs was that Mahomes was reasonable in the negotiations and whilst it was a rich contract, it was not the richest in the league nor was it the potential market setting amount that others might have paid.

I would also say that Mahomes on 17% is still less than the 20.4% hit that Dak will be next year... which speaks volumes.

How you can justify paying Dak more than Mahomes is just beyond me. I literally do not understand how this is not ringing huge alarm bells in the front office.

So the options are the same two options you've always had.. a rookie deal QB OR a superstar truly elite Brady/Mahomes level on about 15% (ideally)

The rest is just trying to 'catch lightning in a bottle' and get lucky.