Not open for further replies.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I think this is new:

SILVER Star Digest
Let the Controversy Begin
By Derrick Crosby

Date: Jul 9, 2004

Quincy Carter will arrive at training camp in Oxnard, California in about 3 weeks as the first team quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, but he could very well lose his starting job before the start of the regular season.
It seems like every year Cowboys fans find themselves enamored with the one subject that ignites a passion in us all- Quincy Carter.

What will it take for him to hold off Vinny Testeverde and Drew Henson through the course of the 2004 season? 30 touchdown passes and a small army if you really know the game of football.

You see, the Cowboys have never been content with their quarterback situation. At least, not since Quincy Carter arrived 3 years ago out of the University of Georgia.

And now, one year removed from being the starting signal caller for all 17 games, Carter will once again try to prove his worth to the higher ups of the Cowboys franchise.

The only problem this year is that he's finally got some competition.

Some serious competition.

Chad Hutchinson was originally signed two years ago to push Carter's development, and eventually take his place, but obviously, that never quite worked out.

After three years of playing professional baseball, he was horribly erratic in pocket. And now, after a failed attempt at improving his game in NFL Europe, his career for the Cowboys appears to be done.

And even when consider that Hutchinson is essentially out of the picture, and Carter's progress of a year ago, the Cowboys have done little to keep things "status-quo" this offseason behind center.

Love him or hate him, Quincy Carter will have his work cut out for him if wants to keep his starting job this year.
Back in early March, the organization pulled off a trade to bring former Michigan star Drew Henson to Valley Ranch. Two months later, veteran quarterback Vinny Testaverde was brought to Dallas to help Henson's development, not to mention to provide relief for Carter should he need it during the course of the 2004 season.

With three legitimate quarterbacks on the roster heading into training camp, it begs the question, who will be the man behind center for the Dallas Cowboys in 2004?

If you said, "Quincy Carter," you may want to hold that thought.

At least for now.

Quincy Carter will arrive at training camp in Oxnard, California in about 3 weeks as the first team quarterback, but he could very well lose his starting job before the start of the regular season.

How?

That's easy. He now has two quarterbacks on the roster that are clearly more talented he is, and one of those guys already has a few years of experience in Bill Parcells' system.

Carter had his moments last year, and even earned the praise of both Parcells and Jerry Jones during various points of the season. But this year, the Cowboys won't be able to sneak up on other teams around the league. They don't have a starting running back with NFL experience (at least not yet), and more times than not, the difference between a win and a loss could easily come down to the passing game.

Ask yourself, do you honestly feel like Quincy Carter is the man that will take the Dallas Cowboys to the next level? Is Quincy Carter a quarterback that could deliver 20-25 touchdown passes and only throw 10-12 interceptions during a 16-game regular season?

Ask most of the so-called "experts" around the league and they'll give you resounding "no."

Ask Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells and see what they say. Actually, you don't have to do that. Just look at their actions this offseason.

The acquisition of two talented quarterbacks at both ends of the age spectrum demonstrates exactly the amount of confidence the Cowboys' organization has in Quincy Carter.

Not much.

And once training camp gets underway next month, don't be surprised to see that lack of confidence finally translate over the football field.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Article said:
You see, the Cowboys have never been content with their quarterback situation. At least, not since Quincy Carter arrived 3 years ago out of the University of Georgia.

Although QC was brought in at the time...I think it is fair to say that the Cowboys have not been content with their QB situation since Aikman was no longer the QB.

Bluefin

Reaction score
What will it take for him to hold off Vinny Testeverde and Drew Henson through the course of the 2004 season? 30 touchdown passes and a small army if you really know the game of football.
Love that Crosby, he was predicting Hutchinson would make mince meat out of Carter last year.

30 touchdowns, eh?

So only Brett Favre would've been able to withstand Testaverde and Henson last year as he was the only quarterback in the entire league to throw 30 or more touchdowns.

I know the game of football and carter doesn't need 30 touchdowns to retain his job.

He does need a large army, the five offensive linemen in front of him, to properly handle his job.

Carter's main task is to eliminate the impulse plays from his reportoire that so often led to mishaps on the field.

If Q can do that, something Parcells claimed all of his previous signal callers have had to learn, he'll remain on the field for Dallas this season.

Love that Crosby.

NOVA 22

Reaction score
wow - as neither a carter supporter or hater, that's about as negative article i've seen. i think the argument that parcells brought in both a younger and older guy is the writing on the wall for QC just doesn't hold water. they're still case by case examples. vinny is a good mentor/backup, and henson was obtained relatively cheaply for the potential he has. in bith cases, we'd have been stupid not to grab these guys

Nightshade

Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
I think this is new:

SILVER Star Digest
Let the Controversy Begin
By Derrick Crosby

Date: Jul 9, 2004

That's easy. He now has two quarterbacks on the roster that are clearly more talented he is,

The DEFINITION of media bias.

Again, move along, nothing to see here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Let them compete and may the best man win. If Carter shows himself as the best then fine we go into the season with him at the helm and if he fails then we have a QB in Vinny with a lot experiance and a guy who has shown that he is very capiable of running Bill Parcells offense and has had very good success working with Keyshawn,Anderson and Ward. I personally think QC has his work cut out for him and it is not a given that Carter will prove himself as the best, but I'm more than willing to sit back and watch this competion play itself out. To me this is not about Quincy Carter it is all about the Dallas Cowboys.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Nightshade said:

I don't think he's really a member of the media. Isn't he just a fan that writes for a website?

Nightshade

Reaction score
Chief said:
I don't think he's really a member of the media. Isn't he just a fan that writes for a website?

Maybe so, but he must be a fan of the foreskins or beagles. No fan of the Cowboys would hope and believe so dearly that our current starting QB is clearly going to lose his job to a 40 year old or a kid who hasn't played in 3 years.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
Maybe so, but he must be a fan of the foreskins or beagles. No fan of the Cowboys would hope and believe so dearly that our current starting QB is clearly going to lose his job to a 40 year old or a kid who hasn't played in 3 years.

That 40 year old man would not be here if Parcells did not think he could play, Bill does not run a charity program and will give him the oppertunity that Vinny is looking for. If Carter outplays him then great but if not then Vinny is more than capiable of running this team

Nightshade

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Let them compete and may the best man win.

I agree with you.
But I admit I can't help but hope that Carter comes out and blows these two guys out of the water. I hope he has a stellar regular season and becomes a consistent reliable QB who can make the occasional play all by himself because of better confidence in himself and his teamates.

And after last year and this offseason's improvements with the team I fully believe he has the capability to be this kind of QB.

I also believe that Henson will eventually eclipse Carter. But I'm hoping that Carter's replacement will be a difficult decision for our coach two or three years down the road. If that decision is made this training camp, you can kiss this season goodbye.

And No way am I ready to do that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
I agree with you.
But I admit I can't help but hope that Carter comes out and blows these two guys out of the water. I hope he has a stellar regular season and becomes a consistent reliable QB who can make the occasional play all by himself because of better confidence in himself and his teamates.

And after last year and this offseason's improvements with the team I fully believe he has the capability to be this kind of QB.

I also believe that Henson will eventually eclipse Carter. But I'm hoping that Carter's replacement will be a difficult decision for our coach two or three years down the road. If that decision is made this training camp, you can kiss this season goodbye.

I have no problem with that and should Carter show drastic improvement then I will be more than happy to give him my full support and confidence but right now sorry I have little confidence in him. After watching the last 3 season and hoping and praying that has now come to an end I now demand that he shows the improvement and if he can't then yes I will continue to call for his job. I'm a Cowboys fan so to me this is not a personal issue with Carter it is an issue of wanting this team to succeed and to get back to where we belong which is on top and that is something I do not think Carter can do.

crazylegs

Benched
Reaction score
Nightshade said:

More in the order of Fan Ignorance.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
That 40 year old man would not be here if Parcells did not think he could play, Bill does not run a charity program and will give him the oppertunity that Vinny is looking for.

Hey man,
When Parcells brought in Vinny, every intelligent football fan knew Vinny could still play. I hope Vinny comes in and lights it up in TC. The reason I brought up his age is that no matter how good he plays, he'll never be considered the future in Dallas. So if Carter performs at least as well as Vinny, he'll start.

In his second season under Parcells, I think Carter will be more consistent.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
After watching the last 3 season and hoping and praying that has now come to an end I now demand that he shows the improvement and if he can't then yes I will continue to call for his job. I'm a Cowboys fan so to me this is not a personal issue with Carter it is an issue of wanting this team to succeed and to get back to where we belong which is on top and that is something I do not think Carter can do.

Seems like we're going to have no choice but to agree on this one.

If Carter throws as many INT's as TD's again this year, or gives up the big play to lose the game due to his special brand of "improvising", I'll be leading the line to insert our new starting QB.

I'm just SOOOOOoooooo glad we have options behind Carter this year. :)

jimmy40

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
I agree with you.

If you think Henson will eventually eclipse Crater then wouldn't you like to see Henson blow the other two out of the water right now?

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Bluefin said:
Love that Crosby, he was predicting Hutchinson would make mince meat out of Carter last year. Love that Crosby.

Not only Crosby but a lot of these "experts". I love their objectivity :rolleyes: . If Quincy can't hold off these to QB saviors then he deserves to sit down and let the best man take us to glory :rolleyes: . But this "Carter is not a good QB" stuff is getting sooo old. Another poster pointed out that these reporters have to get creative because BP doesn't give them the access that they desire. So instead of being objective they repeat the same stuff or make up something. Anything for a story.

Nightshade

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
If you think Henson will eventually eclipse Crater then wouldn't you like to see Henson blow the other two out of the water right now?

I just can't see it happening after a three year Baseball sabatical. Teams try to sit QB's for at least a year even when they are coming out of playing 3 or 4 years in college. Pennington, Palmer and even Leftwich would have sat out the year if it hadn'been for Brunell's injury.

I think Henson's got the talent, and the physical skills, but I think he's going to have to have a year or two to learn the pro game, get used to the speed of it and get back into the grove of feeling the pressure and making the right decisions.

With the guys we have at QB now, I just see No reason to rush Henson.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
Hey man,
When Parcells brought in Vinny, every intelligent football fan knew Vinny could still play. I hope Vinny comes in and lights it up in TC. The reason I brought up his age is that no matter how good he plays, he'll never be considered the future in Dallas. So if Carter performs at least as well as Vinny, he'll start.

In his second season under Parcells, I think Carter will be more consistent.

I agree Vinny is not the future but he very well could be the go between until Henson is ready to step in. Having said that I don't know how Henson will do but I do know he comes into camp with the most raw talent of any QB we have had in a while. He has the size, he has a gun for an arm, good mobility and according to those who have coached him and played with him he has great leadership qualities. How he fairs in the NFL is anyone’s guess. We have all seen guys who have similar qualities as Henson who have flat out failed in the NFL but I'm still encouraged that Henson very well could turn into the QB that this team desperately needs

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
But I admit I can't help but hope that Carter comes out and blows these two guys out of the water.

Ditto. Only because sooo many are rooting against him. Of course I want a QB that can lead the team to TD's and comebacks and all the sexy stuff we want our QB's to do. But I can't help but get caught up in the drama. It's a win/win situation from my point of view.

20 more days!!

Status
Not open for further replies.