Quarterback Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
I just can't see it happening after a three year Baseball sabatical. Teams try to sit QB's for at least a year even when they are coming out of playing 3 or 4 years in college. Pennington, Palmer and even Leftwich would have sat out the year if it hadn'been for Brunell's injury.

I think Henson's got the talent, and the physical skills, but I think he's going to have to have a year or two to learn the pro game, get used to the speed of it and get back into the grove of feeling the pressure and making the right decisions.

With the guys we have at QB now, I just see No reason to rush Henson.
So if Henson blows the other two out in training camp, you would still want Carter as the starter?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
So if Henson blows the other two out in training camp, you would still want Carter as the starter?

I would not discount Henson but I will say it would be aginst the odds if he were to step right in and become the starter. But if by some chance Henson out perfomed all of our QB then yes I would want him to start because he would have shown himself to be the best. I really don't think that is going to be the case this season but I am excited about seeing him this pre-season.

Nightshade

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:

If Henson comes in and makes Vinny Testaverde look like a pathetic rookie, has total command of the offense and is the born leader of the team. If he comes in and is John Elway and it's obvious we're going to the Superbowl like Marino did in his rookie year. Hell, sure start the guy.

But don't call me nasty names like bastid or um Terrell Owens or something if I think that this scenario is a tad unlikely. ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
If Henson comes in and makes Vinny Testaverde look like a pathetic rookie, has total command of the offense and is the born leader of the team. If he comes in and is John Elway and it's obvious we're going to the Superbowl like Marino did in his rookie year. Hell, sure start the guy.

But don't call me nasty names like bastid or um Terrell Owens or something if I think that this scenario is a tad unlikely. ;)

Ok Mr. Owens. LOL (just joking with you) I agree it is high unlikely

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Article is ridiculously biased.
This Crosby guy must be Hutchinson's brother or something. It's a shame garbage like this is printed.

Also, did anyone watch the Jets play lat year???? That team's season went into the toilet because of Pennington's injury and Vinny's inability to produce at the Qb position. They were forced to put the offense on the back of an aged Curtis Martin and we all know how well that went. Vinny is good QB for his age, but as a Cowboy fan we must hope that Carter leaves these guys in the dust come training camp because Vinny is not the same player he was several years ago under Parcells. Vinny is a backup Qb in this league, nothing more.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
I agree with you.
But I admit I can't help but hope that Carter comes out and blows these two guys out of the water. I hope he has a stellar regular season and becomes a consistent reliable QB who can make the occasional play all by himself because of better confidence in himself and his teamates.

And after last year and this offseason's improvements with the team I fully believe he has the capability to be this kind of QB.

I also believe that Henson will eventually eclipse Carter. But I'm hoping that Carter's replacement will be a difficult decision for our coach two or three years down the road. If that decision is made this training camp, you can kiss this season goodbye.

And No way am I ready to do that.

I agree totally ^.

I have no problem with QC, the signing of Henson, and bringing Vinnie T. on board. But the best thing for the 2004 Dallas Cowboys is Quincy kicking some major *** at QB.

It is beyond me that some fans have so much hate for Carter (why?), that they pull against him.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
That 40 year old man would not be here if Parcells did not think he could play, Bill does not run a charity program and will give him the oppertunity that Vinny is looking for. If Carter outplays him then great but if not then Vinny is more than capiable of running this team

Hey, don't be so quick to define all Cowboy fans. Carter should be given a shot to turn his career around. I DON'T think he has the talent to be a premier quarterback, I think Henson eventually will. I don't want Carter to win the QB job, because he's never going to be a great QB like Staubach or Aikman. Henson has the talent to be the next in that line, and I want the next quarterback to be of the talent level of Stabauch/Aikman, and soon. Carter is not that guy. There is legitimate doubt, even among Carter fans, I would guess, that Carter could ever reach that level.

As for THIS season, there's a strong liklihood that Henson would not be ready to play at a high level as a starter, however, there's a possibility that he could step in and play the way Bulger stepped in for Warner, or the way both Eagles backup Q.B.'s played for McNabb when he went down. Other teams do have talented QB's that step in and play at a high level from the bench. Don't automatically rule it out.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
"That's easy. He now has two quarterbacks on the roster that are clearly more talented he is, and one of those guys already has a few years of experience in Bill Parcells' system."

Poorly written, Biased and on last statement dead wrong.

I laugh at all those that constantly write Quincy off. I have sheckles on Quincy to be our starter again this year. And for this team to be markedly better.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love these kind of speculations

Off the subject personal note: I was typing this post while watching the Packers/Raiders 1999 game replay on NFL Network. Favre hurt his hand that day. It prompted one of the game announcers to say that Favre has a HIGH tolerance for pain. In my opinion, ANYBODY has a high tolerance for pain when they're an admitted Vicodin addict, but that's just me. Back to my reply...

Crosby: "Is Quincy Carter a quarterback that could deliver 20-25 touchdown passes and only throw 10-12 interceptions during a 16-game regular season?"

IMO? Hell, no. Now comes a BETTER question based upon Mr. Crosby's own assumption.

What quarterback in the entire NFL CAN guarantee to throw 20+ touchdowns AND 12-or-less interceptions during a 16-game regular season? Let's look at what quarterbacks could have fit those same parameters during the last quarter century...

Code:
[i]PLAYER              YEAR    TEAM         TD   INT[/i]
Peyton Manning       2003   Colts        29    10
Trent Green          2003   Chiefs       24    12
Aaron Brooks         2003   Saints       24     8
Tom Brady            2003   Patriots     23    12
Final Team Results Summary: Colts/AFC runnerup, Chiefs/AFC divisional loser, Saints/NFC South runnerup, Patriots/Super Bowl winner

Code:
Rich Gannon          2002   Raiders      26    10
Jeff Garcia          2002   49ers        21    10
Final Team Results Summary: Raiders/Super Bowl runnerup, 49ers/NFC divisional loser

Code:
Donovan McNabb       2001   Eagles       25    12
Rich Gannon          2001   Raiders      27     9
Jeff Garcia          2001   49ers        32    12
Final Team Results Summary: Eagles/NFC runnerup, Raiders/AFC divisional loser [they were robbed], 49ers/NFC wild card loser

Code:
Rich Gannon          2000   Raiders      28    11
Jeff Garcia          2000   49ers        31    10
Final Team Results Summary: Raiders/AFC runnerup, 49ers/NFC West 4th-place finisher

1999. Zero, but notable quarterbacks who threw 20+ touchdowns & 19-or-less interceptions--

Code:
[i]PLAYER		TEAM		TD	INT[/i]
Steve Beuerlein	Panthers	36	15	Did not make playoffs
Peyton Manning	Colts		26	15	AFC divisional loser
Elvis Grbac	Chiefs		22	15	Did not make playoffs
Rich Gannon	Raiders		24	14	Did not make playoffs
Kurt Warner	Rams		41	13	Super Bowl winner
Brad Johnson	Commanders	24	13	NFC divisional loser

Code:
Randall Cunningham   1998   Vikings      34    10
Final Team Results Summary: NFC runnerup

Code:
John Elway           1997   Broncos      27    11
Jeff George          1997   Raiders      29     9
Trent Dilfer         1997   Buccaneers   21    11
Final Team Results Summary: Broncos/Super Bowl winner, Raiders/AFC West 4th-place finisher, Buccaneers/NFC divisional loser

1996. Nada, but notable quarterbacks who threw 20+ touchdowns & 19-or-less interceptions--

Code:
Jeff Blake	Bengals		24	14	Did not make playoffs
Brett Favre	Packers		39	13	Super Bowl winner
Drew Bledsoe	Patriots	27	15	Super Bowl runnerup
Vinny Testaverde Ravens		33	19	Did not make playoffs

Code:
Jeff George          1995   Falcons      24    11
Erik Kramer          1995   Bears        29    10
Scott Mitchell       1995   Lions        32    12
Steve Bono           1995   Chiefs       21    10
Final Team Results Summary: Falcons/NFC wild card loser, Bears/NFC Central 3rd-place finisher, Lions/NFC wild card loser, Chiefs/AFC divisional loser

Code:
Steve Young          1994   49ers        35    10
Final Team Results Summary: 49ers/Super Bowl winner

Code:
John Elway           1993   Broncos      25    10
Final Team Results Summary: Broncos/AFC wild card loser

Code:
Steve Young          1992   49ers        25     7
Final Team Results Summary: 49ers/NFC runnerup

Code:
Mark Rypien          1991   Commanders     28    11
Final Team Results Summary: Commanders/Super Bowl winner

Code:
Steve Deberg         1990   Chiefs       23     4
Dan Marino           1990   Dolphins     21    11
Final Team Results Summary: Chiefs/AFC wild card loser, Dolphins/AFC divisional loser

Code:
Boomer Esiason       1989   Bengals      28    11
Final Team Results Summary: Bengals/AFC Central last place finisher

1988. Zlitch, but notable quarterbacks who threw 20+ touchdowns & 19-or-less interceptions--

Code:
Boomer Esiason	Bengals		28	14	Super Bowl runnerup
Bobby Hebert	Saints		20	15	Did not make playoffs
Randall Cunningham Eagles	24	16	NFC divisional loser
Jim Everett	Rams		31	18	NFC wild card loser

1987. Strike year.

Code:
Jim Kelly       Bills	        22	17         Did not make playoffs
Boomer Esiason	Bengals	        24	17         Did not make playoffs
Dan Marino	Dolphins	44	23         Did not make playoffs
Phil Simms	Giants	        21	22         Wonder what Parcells expected?
Jay Schroeder	Commanders	22	22         NFC runnerup

Code:
Ken O'Brien          1985   Jets         25     8
Final Team Results Summary: Jets/AFC wild card loser

Code:
Tony Eason           1984   Patriots     23     8
Joe Montana          1984   49ers        28    10
Final Team Results Summary: Patriots/AFC East runnerup, 49ers/Super Bowl winner

Code:
Joe Montana          1983   49ers        26    12
Joe Theismann        1983   Commanders     29    11
Final Team Results Summary: 49ers/NFC runnerups, Commanders/Super Bowl runnerup

1982. Strike year.

Code:
Ken Anderson         1981   Bengals      29    10
Final Team Results Summary: Super Bowl runnerup

Code:
Ron Jaworski         1980   Eagles       27    12
Final Team Results Summary: Super Bowl runnerup

Code:
Roger Staubach       1979   Cowboys      27    11
Final Team Results Summary: Cowboys/NFC divisional loser ["Paging Mr. Crosby... paging Mr. Crosby..."]

Here's a a breakdown of the quarterbacks' teams who actually fit within Mr. Crosby's expectation--

Code:
[i]Finish			 %[/i]
Divisional loser	21%
Did not make playoffs	18%
Wild card loser		18%
Conference Runnerup	18%
Super Bowl winner	15%
Super Bowl runnerup	12%

Insane. Mr. Crosby's rules include a few Super Bowl quarterbacks, but not all. Wouldn't it be simpler to expect a successful quarterback in a Parcells-style offense to--

1. Throw more TDs than INTs
2. Stay within the offensive scheme

In other words, a ball-control quarterback. Plain and simple. Parcells hopes that he has one on his roster now, but only the season will decide if he actually has one. IMO, that's within Parcells expectations. On the other hand, Mr. Crosby's expectations are a bit more extreme. The team could have a better season than last year's and the starting quarterback still doesn't have to put up those types of numbers. And he doesn't have to.

Jersey

Reaction score
Its not about stats. Marino has all of them and naked fingers to show for it. As BP said, Drive The Bus! Not just one day, in perfect conditions. But for a whole season, including poor weather. How do you handle it when the kids are jumpin around, leaving their seats. Do you take control, or run a light and hit a cement truck? Sorry for the cliches, but dang, its that simple.

BHendri5

Reaction score
together this season and we continue to win and get stronger and stronger, it is great, for the Cowboys. IF he doesn't then we move on to the next young project place him at the begining of the tunnel (per Parcells) and see if he can make it thru the tunnel, IF he does great, we will be set back another 1, 2 maybe 3yrs but it would be well worth it I would venture to say once who ever the QB is that makes it thru the tunnel.
Now if the that youngster do not make it thru then we will be swimming along making a little of noise until we get another youngster groomed and ready to take his turn.

I support Carter strongly, and I have since day one, I also thought that it was wrong to start him as a rookie. I knew it was going to take time, good coaching, mentoring, along with maturity. So a year standing on the sideline would have been very good for Carter his rookie year, (I thought they should have went with Banks or Wright) and let Carter battle with them, or one of them his 2nd season, but since they chose to do the opposite then, they needed to stick with him thru the growing pains ups and downs, INTs, etc., until everything clicked and came together for him.

I always have stated that his 4th season will tell the tale, it his fast approaching, has it all come together for him now, we will see. Like I said it will be great, if it has not then we move to the next project and place him at the begining of the tunnel and say can you make it thru to the otherside, whcih would be Henson he is said to have all the tools, arm, intelligence, now the mobility nah, I'm not buying that at all, seeing is believing, they said that about hutch.

I'm a Dallas Cowboy first .

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
CowboynIraq: I, for one, appreciate your support of our QB. I haven't been on this forum long and would like to announce where I stand:

I am rooting for "The Triggerman" because so many are against him. I believe, like everyone else, that he desperately needs to work on his accuracy & decision making. Unlike most of the anti-Q's, I believe he can improve in these areas. But, he must have the confidence and let the chips fall where they may. He can't go into training camp scared to make a mistake for fear of losing his job. In this case, if he loses his job it will be done in a fair manner and because someone else did better. He will have been given every opportunity to compete. Heck, he has a whole year head start on everybody else.

The one thing that I just absolutely detest is the questioning of his intelligence. This alone makes me hold a biased opinion on why I want him as our QB. It reeks of 1970s (and still current in some circles) stereotype.

In Bill We Trust

BHendri5

Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
CowboynIraq: I, for one, appreciate your support of our QB. I haven't been on this forum long and would like to announce where I stand:

I am rooting for "The Triggerman" because so many are against him. I believe, like everyone else, that he desperately needs to work on his accuracy & decision making. Unlike most of the anti-Q's, I believe he can improve in these areas. But, he must have the confidence and let the chips fall where they may. He can't go into training camp scared to make a mistake for fear of losing his job. In this case, if he loses his job it will be done in a fair manner and because someone else did better. He will have been given every opportunity to compete. Heck, he has a whole year head start on everybody else.

The one thing that I just absolutely detest is the questioning of his intelligence. This alone makes me hold a biased opinion on why I want him as our QB. It reeks of 1970s (and still current in some circles) stereotype.

In Bill We Trust

YES!!!! I'm with you 200%, and it IRKS the HECK out of me. Yes, it reeks.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:

In Bill We Trust

A woman after my own heart.

Ditto, Mrs. Irvin, ditto! ;)

jimmy40

Reaction score

In Bill We Trust[/QUOTE] So if QC was white, we could question his intelligence?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40 said:

In Bill We Trust
So if QC was white, we could question his intelligence?[/QUOTE]

I know I'm not questioning his intelligence...

Reaction score

Yes thats it!! thats it!! just throw up the race card amd watch the multitudes blindly follow a baseless charge!!!

I dont see too many people questioning the intelligence of

McNair
McNabb
Culpepper
Vick
Leftwich

But some Cowboys fans just HAVE to sink to the race card when their beloved is a target of criticism..

Troy Aikman scored a 29 on his Wonderlich...QC scored a 30

Therefore QC, on a non football test, is smarter than Troy..

Dare to compare on the fit wit?

Wait a minute..thats not a racist comparison, is it?

Oh the miserable, hypocritical lives some of you lead

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:

In Bill We Trust
So if QC was white, we could question his intelligence?[/QUOTE]

So you actually think that some people don't like Quincy and question his intelligence because he's black?

Dude, this is 2004 racism doesn’t exist anymore. How dare you!

race_card.gif

BHendri5

Reaction score
Cheap Shot Artist said:

I dont see too many people questioning the intelligence of

McNair
McNabb
Culpepper
Vick
Leftwich

But some Cowboys fans just HAVE to sink to the race card when their beloved is a target of criticism..

Troy Aikman scored a 29 on his Wonderlich...QC scored a 30

Therefore QC, on a non football test, is smarter than Troy..

Dare to compare on the fit wit?

Wait a minute..thats not a racist comparison, is it?

Oh the miserable, hypocritical lives some of you lead

Sure they do, you just do not hear it unless you are a fan of that team. Culpepper ,Vick, and McNabb definitely, all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.