Quarterback in the first round? Sound off

supercowboy8

Reaction score
You can find defensive starters after the first round 3. Our starting Will right now was a 4th rounder and he has played well

We dont need a RDE, we dont need a 3 Tech we dont have a position on defense that absolutly must be filled with a first round starter

Ah yes we do. Care will most likely be gone. We need a corner. Also 4th round picks aren't day one starters. We need help with sacks that our starters aren't getting. We need alot of help on defense still. Alot more than a qb to ride the bench.

You can also find back up qbs to develop in the 2nd to 4th.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
What does everyone think of Bryce Petty?

I'm not a fan. His offense is a scheme and throws to first read almost every time and isn't very accurate. Just depends on the round where we can pick him. 2nd no thanks 3rd or 4th maybe. We may be able to develop him.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Sign Foles as a back-up, but we all know he'll see at least 8 games.
Pick best player avail in Rd. 1
Draft a sub 4.40 WR in Rd. 2. There are a bunch in the draft.
Draft D the rest of the way, except for a RB.

Sign the Eagles starting QB as a back up?

Do you even understand how the Salary cap works? That isn't a shot that's a serious question.

As for the OP I'm for drafting the QB to be ready to replace Romo.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score

Do you even understand how the Salary cap works? That isn't a shot that's a serious question.

If Dez or Murray aren't re-signed, then it's doable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Its on the tip of everyones tounges now, and probably will come up every time Romo takes a hit. Should the Cowboys seriously consider a QB in the first round of the draft.

Alot of angles here to cover, I just want to hear your general thoughts

Right now I don't see any QB worth taking in the 1sr rd. Winston has talent but a lot of baggage as well. Mariota likely goes well before our pick. I do think there are some prospect in the 2nd to 4th rd worth taking a shot at.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I would not mind the guy sitting for a year or 2. With the rookie cap it is not like it was when the Raiders took JaMarcus Russell when he signed a 68 mill with 32 million in guranteed contract for his rookie season

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Johnny Manziel signed a 4 year / $8.25 million contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $4,318,980 signing bonus, $7,998,596 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $2,062,149.

Dallas could easily draft a QB in 2nd rd or 3rd rd and be able to sit that player and not be forced to play him right away.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Any one who reads my comments knows I'm not a fan of drafting a QB in the first this coming draft. I had hoped Weeden would have played well enough to allow us to concentrae on the defence, then in 2016 free us up to spend those resources on the successor (eventually) to Romo.
Well, that did not work out so well... I am willing to give Weeden the rest of this season to see if the last game was nerves etc. But man, that did not look positive for the future. I still believe that the defence MUST be made over, for this team to really contend next year.
Romo must be able to play another few years, his contract kills us if his back gives out on him .... and man, does that look scary !
So, no to a first round QB. And all fingers, toes and body parts crossed !

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
It's stupid.

You don't put that kind of cash into 2 QBs just to do it. That's just dumb.

Is it dumb to have a team that is close all but throw it away b/c a 34 y/o QB can't finish a season?

Foles will be cheap. What other team out there besides the Raiders, Jets, Titans and Bucs do you see looking for a starter?

The Rams won't. Vikings won't. Browns can't. Commanders can't. Bills can't.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Is it dumb to have a team that is close all but throw it away b/c a 34 y/o QB can't finish a season?

Foles will be cheap. What other team out there besides the Raiders, Jets, Titans and Bucs do you see looking for a starter?

The Rams won't. Vikings won't. Browns can't. Commanders can't. Bills can't.

I think you're wishful thinking that he'll be cheap.

Not to mention that the Eagles would be looking for a starter if they just let their starter leave.

Which, btw, they're not going to let happen.

Hoov

Reaction score
I've been fine with it for years now.

I'd rather that than wait until Romo has no more throws left in his arm and just assuming another franchise QB will fall in their lap.

I agree with this.

Hoov

Reaction score
Sign Foles as a back-up, but we all know he'll see at least 8 games.
Pick best player avail in Rd. 1
Draft a sub 4.40 WR in Rd. 2. There are a bunch in the draft.
Draft D the rest of the way, except for a RB.
Foles looked good last year and did a few things i liked early but he has not been playing well for most of this year. Don't know if i like him that much.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
I think you're wishful thinking that he'll be cheap.

Not to mention that the Eagles would be looking for a starter if they just let their starter leave.

Which, btw, they're not going to let happen.

I know, wishful thinking. But rumor has it that they will be trading McCoy plus some other players for Oakland's #1 pick. Then Chip can get Mariotta, whom he covets.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ah yes we do. Care will most likely be gone. We need a corner. Also 4th round picks aren't day one starters. We need help with sacks that our starters aren't getting. We need alot of help on defense still. Alot more than a qb to ride the bench.

You can also find back up qbs to develop in the 2nd to 4th.

We drafted our RDE last year and he just played his first game. Sacks will come from there. Crawford just switched the 3 Tech, another year at the position and he will be better at finishing rushes. We do need a CB, Ill give you that. But rookie CBs are a liability and you cant expect a rookie CB to make a difference. I would rather take one in the 3rd and development him in subpackages . We need an LDE but we can easily get a quality player that would have a rookie impact in the 2nd of what will be a deep draft.

We can easily improve our defense without using a first round pick on a player

supercowboy8

Reaction score
And we can easily get a back up QB in the 2nd to 4th to develop. Why does have to be a 1st round pick.

I will state this again and then I'm done with this debate. You cannot name me 5 QBs since 1997 that were drafted mid to late 1st round and did anything special.

I would rather have JJ Watt over Jake Locker and I bet the Titans wish they did too.
Drafting a qb in the 1st doesn't guarantee anything.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And we can easily get a back up QB in the 2nd to 4th to develop. Why does have to be a 1st round pick.

I will state this again and then I'm done with this debate. You cannot name me 5 QBs since 1997 that were drafted mid to late 1st round and did anything special.

I would rather have JJ Watt over Jake Locker and I bet the Titans wish they did too.
Drafting a qb in the 1st doesn't guarantee anything.

If your done with a debate, just state that and dont make a point and then say your done with the debate. That kind of keeps the debate going.

How many QBs go in the late first? And most QBs going in the late first are reaches made by bad teams that traded up to get them out of desperation. No one is advocating that. Teams like Green Bay and the Ravens who were able either properly develope a QB or put a good team around them have succeeded. We can provide both of those things.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Only QB I would take in this draft is Connor Cook. He's my pet cat and a perfect candidate to sit and learn for a couple seasons.

Otherwise, wait until next year.

Last edited:

IAmLegend

Reaction score
^ Scratch that. Just saw where he said last week that he intends to return for his Senior year. That could change obviously, but he seems pretty intent on it.

So no, don't take a QB this year. Wait until next season.