News: Quarterback trap

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I offer him a take it or leave it deal. If he leaves it you tag him next year and start looking for the next bus driver.

I really don't argue that. If the team isn't getting some measure of a discount for redoing his contract early, they have no incentive to do so.

Smart teams use every advantage they have. In this case, a full year at $2 million in salary and a franchise tag at less than $30 million for next year.

Two years at $32 million is far cheaper than any two years of a contract he would sign.

And as you pointed out, it gives the team two years to work on finding his replacement. I doubt it comes to that, but it's wise to use all resources.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3rd and 8+ 1st down conversion rate:
2014 Romo: 33.7% (2nd in league)
2016 Dak: 22.9% (18th in league)
2017 Dak: 20% (24th in league)
2018 Dak: 20.8% (22nd in league)

Wow! Is that really the very best cherry picking you can do?
tenor.gif

pansophy

Reaction score
Why don't you list Romo's total ints his 1st 3 years also compared to Dak. And Romo had a prime Witten, Dak didn't to help on 3rd down.
You mean Romo could complete a pass to Dez which meant that Witten wasn't always doubled. He wasn't prime in 2014 and then decrepit in 2016.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hate seeing 1 position taking such a big portion of the cap but QB are highly paid. I saw a big difference in Dak once he was able to get a top rated WR and don't kid yourself those top WR that reside on other teams are a big help to QB. Big Ben got 2 WR that are top 10. Dak avg jumped up to 274 yards per game avg once he got a true #1

dckid

Reaction score
And yet Dak's numbers blow Aikman's out of the water. Should we bring them up?
Come on it was a different league back then. Aikman was a much better passer than Dak. Aikman had the timing offense. How many times did we see and hear Madden explain... The Ball was already out of Aikmans hands before Irvin made the cut...
Yes I do agree that having gotten over the nostalgia, Steve Young and Favre were better than Aikman.. There you go , I said it. Aikman did have the advantage of being on a better team, he didnt have the arm talent of Favre, or the mobility and playmaking of Young. You also have to remember he had the pedigree of the number 1 overall pick. All his measurables were of #1 pick quality.
Dak is not the Aikman equivalent of today's NFL.

dckid

Reaction score
How were those rings doing collecting dust without Emmitt (when he sat out) the beginning of 1995?
Not to nitpick but Emmit sat out in 1993 where he missed the first two games. In 1996 he had the neck issue when he missed a couple of games.
I think every sane football fan knows that Emmit was the key cog in the Cowboy SB teams. Aikman was great but he was never a big TD passer, he didnt throw the ball 35 times a game, it wasn't their offense.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Come on it was a different league back then. Aikman was a much better passer than Dak. Aikman had the timing offense. How many times did we see and hear Madden explain... The Ball was already out of Aikmans hands before Irvin made the cut...
Yes I do agree that having gotten over the nostalgia, Steve Young and Favre were better than Aikman.. There you go , I said it. Aikman did have the advantage of being on a better team, he didnt have the arm talent of Favre, or the mobility and playmaking of Young. You also have to remember he had the pedigree of the number 1 overall pick. All his measurables were of #1 pick quality.

How was his timing when Irvin wasn't playing?

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Hard to say if Young and Favre were better they ran a different offense. They were running WCO where as Bill Walsh would say they would run these swing passes to RB that worked just as a pitch out and part of the run game of the WCO. Jimmy Kelly same way with the red gun offense. Aikman played within the system which was different than these other QB but the end results were 3 SB. Dak also has played in a system that centers around the run game and will be interesting to see if Moore opens things up a bit more than we have seen in recent times

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Not to nitpick but Emmit sat out in 1993 where he missed the first two games. In 1996 he had the neck issue when he missed a couple of games.
I think every sane football fan knows that Emmit was the key cog in the Cowboy SB teams. Aikman was great but he was never a big TD passer, he didnt throw the ball 35 times a game, it wasn't their offense.

I thought he missed games in the 1995 weason. My mistake.