News: Quarterback trap

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to nitpick but Emmit sat out in 1993 where he missed the first two games. In 1996 he had the neck issue when he missed a couple of games.
I think every sane football fan knows that Emmit was the key cog in the Cowboy SB teams. Aikman was great but he was never a big TD passer, he didnt throw the ball 35 times a game, it wasn't their offense.

Emmitt only missed the last game of the year in 1996, he played in all the other 15 games. They had the division wrapped up, so did not play.
The only time he missed 2 games besides the 1993 no contract year, was 2001 he missed games 7 and 8. But I do not recall if it his neck at that time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None.
I think your era argument went down the drain.

Seriously?

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension. And your excuse making. Both of which are sorely lacking.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure If you want to bring up Super Bowls and the Hall of Fame as well

Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have those too, if that's where you want to go. You're looking desperate.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have to wait and see on Dak before comparing career numbers.
We all know Aikman was not a stat sheet guy, but he also wasn't thrown the ball at guys feet and overthrowing run of the mill throws.

And yet Aikman and his "accuracy" is a 61% career completion guy while "throw the ball at guys feet" is over 66%.

:rolleyes:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dak was the best QB in the NFC the second half of last season after he got a true #1. Which includes the likes of Brees, Wilson, Rodgers and Ryan....all of which have top #1 WRs in the NFL. Everyone needs talent
Uhhhhhhhhhh...best based on what?

Games 8-16 Passer Rating

Prescott: 103
Wilson: 113.3
Ryan: 103.4
Brees: 113.2
Rodgers: 95.3

morat1959

Reaction score
I just found this article to be very interesting. The NFL is too much of a copy cat league, the team should also consider a contrarian viewpoint. Paying 30 million for an average QB is not something any team should be lining up to do. You have to make sure he is the real deal, who can win you the SB. Wilson, Brady, Brees, Rodgers have all taken very average WR's and made them stars. Dak has not and realistically does not have the accuracy or arm talent of those guys. I want to again point out, I am a big fan of Dak.
Please give me a Dak comp who has won a SB over the past 20 years? Eli , Brad Johnson, Dilfer? The long and short of my argument is that Dak is not a franchise QB, hence why pay 30 million a year for a guy who is not a franchise guy. I know this is a bit of a take, but you need to have a take every once in a while.
You can reason with them. It’s a lost cause. They see what they don’t see.

Flamma

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Great article talking about the QB trap that the Vikings fell into last off season. Sounds a heck of a lot like the situation we are headed towards with Dak.

The Vikings flew straight into the pitcher plant with Cousins by paying a premium for a journeyman whose only hope for an MVP season comes from being surrounded by a superteam.

Just because the market says $30 million for your QB who is hitting Free agency at the right time doesn't mean he is Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, Luck.
Dak is an average starter. You can win with him, he won't kill you with a 5 turnover game. I never expect him to carry this team because I know what to expect. He has a solid floor and a low celing. Not someone I want to pay 30 million a year for.
All the Dak lovers can spin doctor this all day, but if you are actually honest with yourself. Dak is not an elite QB, and I am not insulting him. He is what he is. A good QB who should be paid fairly. To me that number is what Foles is getting in Jacksonville.

I didn't read through this entire thread so I apologize if this has already been brought up, but hear me out. Forget what the market is. Forget whether or not Dak is worth 30M a year on average. Dak is worth whatever someone is willing to pay him if we don't. That's his value. Washington lost Cousins because someone was willing to pay him what the Commanders refused to pay. In this particular case the Commanders did the right thing and let the Vikings make fools of themselves. But the Vikings have a history.

I'm very critical of Dak, but are we comparing him to Cousins? I'll take Dak over Cousins any day of the week. Do I think Dak is worth a monster price tag? Absolutely not. But if someone else is willing to pay him that if we don't...……..what choice do we have? Either pay him or let him go. Say what you want about Dak, point out all of his warts if you like. But he doesn't suck and we could do a lot worse.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins has always been trash. I'm excited to play him again this year.

The most important stat in the NFL is wins, and you can count on one or two hands the amount of winning teams he has beaten since arriving in the NFL. Just another case of the Vikings shooting their wad because they think they're "one player away."

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Mahomes in his first year as starter managed to produce the 5th best 3rd and 8+ conversion rate, and Mayfield was 7th last year, so its not about experience. I included Romo only so people wouldn't say the scheme sucks. The scheme works with a strong passer.
Scheme sucked then too, Romo was just good enough to compensate for it. It's pretty well documented how often he changed the playcall.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I can see your point on that. Quarterback salaries continue to skyrocket and at some point, a team is going to have to reverse the trend, say "No", and let their quarterback walk.

But I will point this out. In his three playoff games, Dak Prescott was NOT the reason the Cowboys lost. In fact, he did more than enough for his team to win all of the games he's been involved in, and outplayed his counterparts.
Our inept offense and defense put us in a losing position against GB, regardless of the 4th qtr.

In the rams game they didn't care one bit about Dak.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kirk Cousins has always been trash. I'm excited to play him again this year.

The most important stat in the NFL is wins, and you can count on one or two hands the amount of winning teams he has beaten since arriving in the NFL. Just another case of the Vikings shooting their wad because they think they're "one player away."

This is the guy making $28 million a year, and a guaranteed $84 million over three years:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our inept offense and defense put us in a losing position against GB, regardless of the 4th qtr.

And this somehow refutes any of the facts about Dak?

No, it doesn't.

Do better.
:facepalm:

ICP

Reaction score
To me the thought that Dak has earned the type of payday that is being thrown around (30+ mil per season) is crazy. He's won a single playoff game and now he should be paid on par or more than the best NFL QB's out there? Will he end up being great? Maybe. Will he end up an overpaid average at best QB? Maybe, but either way it's too early to tell and unfortunately for Dallas they will probably pay a kings ransom to find out.

dckid

Reaction score
And this somehow refutes any of the facts about Dak?

No, it doesn't.

Do better.
:facepalm:

So you are really good at shooting down everyone's comments but what is the leg you are standing on? Just pay him 30 million a year because he is the Franchise?
When reasonable fans point out his numbers don't match the elite QB's, he doesn't have the accuracy, he does not pass the eye test. Dak is a good QB but not a franchise guy.. That is the statement that I based this whole thread about.
I am not besmirching his good name, or that he is a winning QB. He is not Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or even Luck, Rivers, Rothlisberger. Give him a 20X raise and offer him the Folses contract.
Mic Drop

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The fact is, both of Dak's playoff losses came in games where the opponent scored 30 or more points. No Cowboys QB has ever won a playoff game where the opponent scored 30 or more points.

I hope Dak is the answer, I share some of the doubts about him, but if the measuring stick is not winning those playoff games then no Cowboys QB was ever good enough.

pansophy

Reaction score
You’re right. Dak isn’t the best at picking up 3rd and long. Ideally he brings that average to above league average.

Romo was one of the best at that his whole career.

That being said, relying on converting a high percentage of 3rd and longs isn’t a recipe for overall offensive success either.
No it's not. We've talked about this before -- Dak does look like he is hitting more intermediate throws, so I'm hopeful. Also the threads outlining all the other QB options make a pretty good case that we could do a lot worse. I can't remember which one it was now, but it sold me on how fortunate we that we got Dak. I just don't love the QB position taking so much cap space and if he ends up just above average that makes it tough to win.

dckid

Reaction score
To me the thought that Dak has earned the type of payday that is being thrown around (30+ mil per season) is crazy. He's won a single playoff game and now he should be paid on par or more than the best NFL QB's out there? Will he end up being great? Maybe. Will he end up an overpaid average at best QB? Maybe, but either way it's too early to tell and unfortunately for Dallas they will probably pay a kings ransom to find out.
What a novel thought process you have. I agree with you.

pansophy

Reaction score
Scheme sucked then too, Romo was just good enough to compensate for it. It's pretty well documented how often he changed the playcall.
Yeah that's true. I do have more faith in Moore being able to call plays to Dak's strengths. He is a good decision maker so he should be strong when we have bunch WRs and he doesn't have to try to scan everywhere.

pansophy

Reaction score
The fact is, both of Dak's playoff losses came in games where the opponent scored 30 or more points. No Cowboys QB has ever won a playoff game where the opponent scored 30 or more points.

I hope Dak is the answer, I share some of the doubts about him, but if the measuring stick is not winning those playoff games then no Cowboys QB was ever good enough.
I can be critical of Dak obviously, but I can't put the Rams game on him at all. We lost by 8 having 21 less plays because the defense gave up 250+ yards rushing.