Question about Vince Young, Texas QB.

RedskinsOne

Benched
Reaction score
I'm sure people on this board have seen him play. Is he an NFL QB? Comparable to Byron Leftwich? Or is it just the system, and the players and coaches around him. He looks big enough.

Would any of you choose him in the first three rounds of the draft? If not, why?

zagnut

Reaction score
I feel a trick question but I'll answer. He's an NFL QB with work. He's comparable to Cunningham, imo. Loopy throwing motion. Winds up like Randall. Looks like he's guiding the ball more than passing it. Throws rainbows like Randall. Good touch on deep ball like Randall. Much improved passer. He'll go in the top half of the first round. Maybe top 5.

Has "it" - the intangible leader quality a QB needs to have. My opinion.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
He can play QB in the NFL but he need a lot of work on his mechanics.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
He will be a WR in the NFL

I'm sure he will be drafted to play QB. Though he is not a lock to be a good one. That Cunningham analogy was right on point in my opinion.

ghst187

Reaction score
He's not good enough to play QB in the NFL. Can't read defenses very well.
His athletic ability will tease you because it and his size are incredible.
No way he beats any NFL teams with his arm and brain though. He'll turn the ball over 50 times.
Someone will be an idiot and take the guy high in the first round (probably next year) because of his freakish athleticism but I have no idea what you're going to do with him. He'll insist on playing QB but I don't think he can do it and yes he has improved, but he was garbage throwing the ball last year. Strong arm, not overly accurate, and doesn't always know where to go with it. UT offense is very simple. I'm not saying he's dumb, just saying that he doesn't beat you with his brain and defensive scheme reads....ya know like all the top pro NFL qbs do...save Vick.

Also keep in mind the caliber of play right now in the Big 12. If you like Vince Young, you might check out Brad Smith at U of Missouri. He'll be a much cheaper version of the same identical thing. I'm not convinced there is an NFL QB in the Big 12. At least not a starter.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
WOW, if theres one person you shouldn't of campared him to its Byron Leftwich. Completely different players, one can run one can't, while one has a good arm mechanics wise and the other one's is on the level of a high school QB. JMO though.

jimmy40

Reaction score
zagnut said:
I feel a trick question but I'll answer. He's an NFL QB with work. He's comparable to Cunningham, imo. Loopy throwing motion. Winds up like Randall. Looks like he's guiding the ball more than passing it. Throws rainbows like Randall. Good touch on deep ball like Randall. Much improved passer. He'll go in the top half of the first round. Maybe top 5.

Has "it" - the intangible leader quality a QB needs to have. My opinion.
Nobody, but nobody winds up like Randall, the absolute slowest release in the history of the NFL. VY just flips the ball most of the time.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
I expect Hostile to chime in on this one eventually because he has a good understanding of evaluating quarterbacks. Im interested to see what he thinks about this guy. Can his mechanics be corrected and be a dynamic threat we've never seen? (Run AND pass)

jimmy40

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
No way he beats any NFL teams with his arm and brain though. He'll turn the ball over 50 times.
Someone will be an idiot and take the guy high in the first round (probably next year) because of his freakish athleticism but I have no idea what you're going to do with him. He'll insist on playing QB but I don't think he can do it and yes he has improved, but he was garbage throwing the ball last year. Strong arm, not overly accurate, and doesn't always know where to go with it. UT offense is very simple. I'm not saying he's dumb, just saying that he doesn't beat you with his brain and defensive scheme reads....ya know like all the top pro NFL qbs do...save Vick.

Also keep in mind the caliber of play right now in the Big 12. If you like Vince Young, you might check out Brad Smith at U of Missouri. He'll be a much cheaper version of the same identical thing. I'm not convinced there is an NFL QB in the Big 12. At least not a starter.
Looked pretty good against OSU, but I guess their defense sucks too, right? UTs pass offense is not simple.

jimmy40

Reaction score
ghst187 said:

Considering VY's best two receivers are actually running backs and he's best running back is a freshman that's hurt he's playing extremely well. So why the chip on your shoulder about VY?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
He absolutely will be a QB in the NFL although I think he'll need a couple years on the bench. Of course then again you could probably say that of any UT QB. To say he'll play WR is ridiculous.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Young will be drafted in the 1st Round as a QB......this year, if he comes out, or next makes no difference.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
He has a powerful arm, His accuracy is very shaky though, and he throws way to many INTs. Great runner, though runs with more power than he does speed (as opposed to Vick, who runs with speed).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
WOW, if theres one person you shouldn't of campared him to its Byron Leftwich. Completely different players, one can run one can't, while one has a good arm mechanics wise and the other one's is on the level of a high school QB. JMO though.
I agree with you. There is no comparison between the 2. Leftwich is a classic pocket passer, Young an innovator on the move.

Bad example on RedskinsOne's part. Real silly.

daboysin06 said:
I expect Hostile to chime in on this one eventually because he has a good understanding of evaluating quarterbacks. Im interested to see what he thinks about this guy. Can his mechanics be corrected and be a dynamic threat we've never seen? (Run AND pass)
Yeah, I think he can play QB in the NFL if he goes to the right team with the right coach. He's very similar to Mike Vick. Jim Mora Jr. loves Vick and what he brings to the table at QB because he can beat you in so many ways. The knock on Vick (it will be the same knock on Young most likely) is that he can beat his own team because he's not accurate.

Mechanics can be taught. Accuracy is a lot harder to teach. Impossible? No, of course not, but it gets a lot of guys killed and I'm not talking QBs, I'm talking receivers. Laying a receiver out with a bad pass can cause serious injuries because their ribs are too exposed when they have to reach for the ball in any direction.

Accuracy cannot be stressed enough. I suspect Vick's career will be shorter than some QBs because once he can't run his lack of accuracy will turn his own team off.

Vick's running ability is amazing and because it is so dynamic his accuracy is less an issue for the Falcons. Is there another team and coach out there that would take that kind of running ability at QB? I'm sure there is.

Young's got unreal talent. Unlike Patrick Crayton, Hines Ward, Matt Jones, and Antwan Randle El, Young and Vick have big time arms. It saves them from the switch to WR and RB because there will always be a team and coach willing to take a chance on a weapon.

I prefere the classic drop back passer by a wide margin, but I enjoy watching Vick, and I think I'll enjoy watching Young too.

This opinion will not sit well with some.

:grin:

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
He has a powerful arm, His accuracy is very shaky though, and he throws way to many INTs. Great runner, though runs with more power than he does speed (as opposed to Vick, who runs with speed).

He is pretty fast. It may not look like it because of his long strides, but he gets from point A to point B pretty fast.