Question about Vince Young, Texas QB.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
RedskinsOne said:
I'm sure people on this board have seen him play. Is he an NFL QB? Comparable to Byron Leftwich? Or is it just the system, and the players and coaches around him. He looks big enough.

Would any of you choose him in the first three rounds of the draft? If not, why?
later rounds on day 1...maybe....early on day one? no way...never draft a johnny come lately in the first round....pick a guy who's had a complete, solid career no matter who his coaches were and no matter what his supporting cast was....

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
zagnut said:
I feel a trick question but I'll answer. He's an NFL QB with work. He's comparable to Cunningham, imo. Loopy throwing motion. Winds up like Randall. Looks like he's guiding the ball more than passing it. Throws rainbows like Randall. Good touch on deep ball like Randall. Much improved passer. He'll go in the top half of the first round. Maybe top 5.

Has "it" - the intangible leader quality a QB needs to have. My opinion.

Great opinion......never thought of comparing Young to Cunningham until I read this and then my light came on........good analogy.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
RedskinsOne said:
I'm sure people on this board have seen him play. Is he an NFL QB? Comparable to Byron Leftwich? Or is it just the system, and the players and coaches around him. He looks big enough.

Would any of you choose him in the first three rounds of the draft? If not, why?

he is nothing like Byron Leftwich...he is a tall Michael Vick with even less passing ability, if thats possible

David

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
The only difference between Vince Young and Byron Leftwhich is their skin tone and that is where the similarities end.

Vincent Young is light year ahead of where he was last year. He had a hard time throwing the ball last year and knew he needed to work on his pocket awareness and accuracy.

If you were fortunate enough to watch the Ohio State game, you came away with a sense that Young had made great strides in the Passing Game. He made alot of big throws in that game as well as beating you with his feet.

One thing about Vince Young is he is Brady like, where he has that "Ice Water" in his veins and rarely show any emotion.

I just think the guy has that "IT" factor where he is able to make plays and is a winner.

Like CBZ40 said, he will be a 1st Round Quarter back in the NFL. Some team will get a great quarterback, but they will need to work with him heavily on his mechanics.

Funny, some of these people that have BIG time agendas will tell you Young will never play as a QB in the NFL because of his mechanics but last time I checked a "CERTAIN" player some are in LOVE with on this roster had his mechanics tweeked this offseason. Something about him supposedly throwing the ball like it is baseball :rolleyes: .

I think Reggie McNeal has a chance to go Pro as a QB as well, but his speed may do him in.

- Mike G.

:rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RedskinsOne said:

Young would be wise to stay his Sr. year at Texas and continue to work on his passing skills. I'm a big Texas fan and think Young is a great college QB but he clearly has some problems with his passing skills

joseephuss

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
later rounds on day 1...maybe....early on day one? no way...never draft a johnny come lately in the first round....pick a guy who's had a complete, solid career no matter who his coaches were and no matter what his supporting cast was....

Will he be drafted in the 1st round? Probably. Some team will take a chance on him. Probably the wrong team. A team that won't be patient and let him sit and learn. Should he? That is a difficult question. Depends on how you view 1st round picks and what is the teams situation. Does the team need immediate returns on their investment? Does the team have the luxury of letting their QB sit and develop?

I can see him playing as a QB. I just think he needs some good coaching to improve his footwork and his ability to read defenses. How long will that take? Don't know.

I think he could make an impact as a receiver, but that too will take time to learn. I couldn't believe Matt Jones was taken so early. He has had some moments just because he is such a good athlete, but it will take a couple of seasons before he really becomes a true receiver. Young can make the same kind of conversion.

I would hope Dallas takes a chance on Vince Young. Just not with a 1st round pick. That is too high a risk for a team that will need some immediate rewards with their draft picks next season. Guys that can come in and contribute right away like Ware and Spears.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jay cee said:
I don't get your meaning Hos.
Vince Young should stay for his Senior year. If for no other reason than that 1 more year of maturity matters in the NFL.

I've never brought this up but the 1st round QBs who bust are more likely to do so if they declare early.

Examples...

Ryan Leaf
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Alex Smith? (Bears watching to see if my theory holds water.)

Meanwhile guys who look like 1st rounders anyway but go back for that Senior year tend to fair much better.

Examples...

Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Matt Leinart? (Bears watching to see if my theory holds water.)

I'd advise Young to stay for his senior year. I think declaring this year would stunt his potential.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
He's likely to stay...

Unbelievable stat... not ONE of Mack Brown's recruits has ever left school early...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Vince Young should stay for his Senior year. If for no other reason than that 1 more year of maturity matters in the NFL.

I've never brought this up but the 1st round QBs who bust are more likely to do so if they declare early.

Examples...

Ryan Leaf
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington

Meanwhile guys who look like 1st rounders anyway but go back for that Senior year tend to fair much better.

Examples...

Peyton Manning
Eli Manning

I'd advise Young to stay for his senior year. I think declaring this year would stunt his potential.

It is a good theory. I don't necessarily agree with it all, but it does have some merit.

The Manning boys aren't good examples because they probably had the maturity already. Something about pedigree that tends to help players. Having Archie as their father has helped their maturity. Peyton already being successful also helped Eli. Also, didn't their high school coach become offensive coordinator at Tennessee? Or was it Ole Miss? That can't hurt.

Ryan Leaf may not have gained any maturity by staying in school, but I think that is what he should have done. I don't tend to trust one year wonders, so seeing them stay around for another year is better for them. Akili Smith was similar. It is just hard to gauge maturity. Some guys have it, others don't. Roethlisberger seems to have it and he left after his Jr. year although he was a 4th year Jr.

This is Young's 4th year due to his red shirt freshman season. That is a long time in a college program. I am not sure his maturity level will change that much. I also don't think his QB skills will improve much at Texas. The UT coaches aren't QB gurus, so there isn't much more that Young can learn from them. I think he needs the benefit of some good pro coaching.

Take the money while you can. That would be my advice. His draft status shouldn't vary much between this year or next. He loses his left tackle, who will probably be a 1st rounder. That increases his risk of injury.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Examples...

Ryan Leaf
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington

Examples...

Peyton Manning
Eli Manning

I agree and that same comment was made during the UT/Texas Tech game.

zagnut

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

While I'm also against drafting late developers in the first round, NFL general managers generally do not follow that belief (*cough*Akili Smith*cough*). They do it all the time.

What's more, sometimes those late developers turn out to be great first rounders - enough for general managers to keep looking for the diamond in the rough. Young is halfway through his 3rd year and is destroying most opponents. What would you want to see?

Also, QBs tend to take longer to develop by the nature of the position and the fact that they rarely play as Freshmen or Sophmores. When they do play, it's usually because they're very talented or their team is very desperate.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
It is a good theory. I don't necessarily agree with it all, but it does have some merit.

The Manning boys aren't good examples because they probably had the maturity already. Something about pedigree that tends to help players. Having Archie as their father has helped their maturity. Peyton already being successful also helped Eli. Also, didn't their high school coach become offensive coordinator at Tennessee? Or was it Ole Miss? That can't hurt.

Ryan Leaf may not have gained any maturity by staying in school, but I think that is what he should have done. I don't tend to trust one year wonders, so seeing them stay around for another year is better for them. Akili Smith was similar. It is just hard to gauge maturity. Some guys have it, others don't. Roethlisberger seems to have it and he left after his Jr. year although he was a 4th year Jr.

This is Young's 4th year due to his red shirt freshman season. That is a long time in a college program. I am not sure his maturity level will change that much. I also don't think his QB skills will improve much at Texas. The UT coaches aren't QB gurus, so there isn't much more that Young can learn from them. I think he needs the benefit of some good pro coaching.

Take the money while you can. That would be my advice. His draft status shouldn't vary much between this year or next. He loses his left tackle, who will probably be a 1st rounder. That increases his risk of injury.
Fair enough on the Manning brothers. I was looking for examples of QBs who could have come out and been 1st round picks. That is why I chose them.

Staying that extra year, regardless of whether you are a Manning or not helps you. If not with maturity then certainly with respect to Draft status. I know there is pressure ot leave but those who stay for that last year benefit, and no position more than QB.

With questions about his game because of his footwork it would be the smartest thing he could do.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
BHendri5 said:
I'm one is willing to bet that Young get's turned into a WR. He does not have a Cunningham throwing motion. He stands tall in the pocket but he throws the ball with a quirky side motion. I do not think he really throws it. It's more like he flicks or pushes it. Yes he can throw the long ball, but it is like someone said earlier it is a looping, or rainbow like. Those passes would never be completed if the DB's could run with his WRs.

He has one receiver that was a RB, from Belton (Ramonce Taylor, Who played with my cousin on that Belton Team, my cousin was the WR, but he is a knucklehead who wants to hang out in the streets) Billy Pittman was a QB in High School, Limus SWeed was the only WR coming out of High School, Carter was a High School QB also.

All I hear and see is VY, highlights and the UT games, and as much as would like to see a UT QB make it as a NFL QB, right now I cannot see VY other than a WR in the NFL.

I am always talking to the radio guys here. If you are good the UT fanbase will make it seem like there is no one else in college football better, but I expect that is everywhere, so no big deal. I just think that they do not look at things objectively.

People say that VY, is reading the defenses, he has not played a team that plays an NFL type of defense, maybe Ohio State?

But you saw what happened once those LBs got locked in on him. The Buckeyes coach lost that game for them. You cannot run a 2 QB system.

Yes, VY racked up some yards in the Ohio ST. game (Passing), it was not because he read the defense, the only guy that could get open the majority of the game was Pittman, and VY just kept looking for him, I mean he was locked in on him everytime a pass play was called after the first couple of passes. Which is good, I would have done the same thing, he kept beating his man so keep hitting him, Ramonce Taylor is good whenever he comes in he wins in his matchup too. VY is smart he knows is money players.

If he were to come out this year, he will be a WR. But if he stays and he can finally get a proper throwing motion then I say he will get that chance to prove his QB ability.

He does have that "IT", but right now IT will work for him at the WR spot in the NFL.
JMO

Okay, let me get this straight BH

You and I both supported Quincy Carter when he was here. So you are telling Quincy Carter can be a Pro Quarterback, but Vincent Young cant?

C'mon dawg

- Mike G.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Okay, let me get this straight BH

You and I both supported Quincy Carter when he was here. So you are telling Quincy Carter can be a Pro Quarterback, but Vincent Young cant?

C'mon dawg

- Mike G.
I'd take Young over Carter any day of the week and twice on game days.

jay cee

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Examples...

Ryan Leaf
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington

Examples...

Peyton Manning
Eli Manning

I usually agree that it is better to stay in school as long as possible, so that you can continue to improve your game.

But my point was that the coaches at UT don't seem to be doing a very good job at helping their qb's improve their weaknesses. As evidenced by Young warming up, standing with his legs shoulder width apart.

If they can't correct something as simple as that, I don't see how another year with them as his coaches will improve his chances at making a successfull jump to the NFL.

I think the more he plays at this level, it will help him with things like recognition of defenses. But his biggest weakness IMO is his mechanics, and I don't see that improving in college.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'd take Young over Carter any day of the week and twice on game days.

why?

hey, everyone knows I didnt think much of QC his last two seasons here, but QC was a FAR better passer at UGA than Vince Young is right now at Texas...UGA ran alot of shotgun, but Carter also had experience dropping back and running a fairly advanced system

Young is a far better runner and has more speed, but from a throwing standpoint he is not as advanced as QC was

David

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
why?

hey, everyone knows I didnt think much of QC his last two seasons here, but QC was a FAR better passer at UGA than Vince Young is right now at Texas...UGA ran alot of shotgun, but Carter also had experience dropping back and running a fairly advanced system

Young is a far better runner and has more speed, but from a throwing standpoint he is not as advanced as QC was

David

I'm amazed that this question was asked.

Not trying to be smug here David but where do you start?

To me, the fact that Young has no issues with substance abuse is as good as any.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jay cee said:
I usually agree that it is better to stay in school as long as possible, so that you can continue to improve your game.

But my point was that the coaches at UT don't seem to be doing a very good job at helping their qb's improve their weaknesses. As evidenced by Young warming up, standing with his legs shoulder width apart.

If they can't correct something as simple as that, I don't see how another year with them as his coaches will improve his chances at making a successfull jump to the NFL.

I think the more he plays at this level, it will help him with things like recognition of defenses. But his biggest weakness IMO is his mechanics, and I don't see that improving in college.

Why not? his mechanics are better today then they were last year and his passing numbers show that improvement. I do think he has a lot more work to do but Young is well ahead of where he was this time last season.

jay cee

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Why not? his mechanics are better today then they were last year and his passing numbers show that improvement. I do think he has a lot more work to do but Young is well ahead of where he was this time last season.
I don't think his mechanics have improved that much. I think overall he has improved as a decision maker and he has more confidence in his passing.

He still has too many passes that sail on him, and I think that is the result of the poor mechanics.

But mainly, I am just stating my frustration with the UT coaching staff. I felt like they could have done more to prepare Simms, and in his 4th year as a collegiate QB, Young should know that he should not be warming up with his feet spread shoulder width apart.

His footwork is his biggest weakness IMO, and he should do everything he can to improve his footwork.

I blame the coaching staff for not pointing something like that out to him.

I think he can make a very good NFL QB, but like any other player, I think he is going to need good coaching to help him make it.