Question about Vince Young, Texas QB.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
We actually played vs. Jamaal Charles last year when he was playing HS ball, and I have to say hes a nasty player, incredible cuts, speed, the whole package. I can't compare him to Adrian though because Peterson has the power that Charles doesn't seem to posess. They both have about the same speed, with Charles having the edge in moves. Both will be excellent pros however. And to be honest with you the most talented player on that team is a guy by the name of Ramonce Taylor, who went to the high school right down the road from us (Belton). Let me put it this way. The year he was with them they went 12-1. The very next year they were the bottom of our district at 0-10. No lie. The guy simply can burn, hes amazing. I hope he gets a chance to show what hes got because hes incredible.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
I like the way you think Hos, theres never an excuse to not add new talent. Now, why is it your so sold on Henson? Is it his physical ability, poise, what?

parchy

Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
We actually played vs. Jamaal Charles last year when he was playing HS ball, and I have to say hes a nasty player, incredible cuts, speed, the whole package. I can't compare him to Adrian though because Peterson has the power that Charles doesn't seem to posess. They both have about the same speed, with Charles having the edge in moves. Both will be excellent pros however. And to be honest with you the most talented player on that team is a guy by the name of Ramonce Taylor, who went to the high school right down the road from us (Belton). Let me put it this way. The year he was with them they went 12-1. The very next year they were the bottom of our district at 0-10. No lie. The guy simply can burn, hes amazing. I hope he gets a chance to show what hes got because hes incredible.

I wasn't comparing him to Peterson in running styles, I was just saying he is "this years' Peterson," in that he's the best freshman running back in the country. Given he won't put up the same kind of numbers because Young runs too and because he's injured, but the guy is a terror on the ground.

Ramonce Taylor is incredible as well... he took DJ's #11, and he makes their passing game so unbelievably dynamic. Vince has such an array of weapons around him that it makes me shiver thinking they're #1 in the BCS right now. I don't think USC can stop them.

jimmy40

Reaction score
parchy said:
Somebody was talking about how "awful" Vince's wide outs are because they're converted running backs and how his actual running back is an injured freshman...

I don't think some people understand the dynamics of the college game. If you're fast (a la both of Texas' starting wide outs) and have the athletic ability to be recruited by UT (i.e. you're probably among the best athletes in the entire state, at least), you'll be able to get open, catch balls and score. If you've ever seen Texas this year, you'd know that his receivers are just as, if not more athletic than any defensive back the opposing defense has on the field. Yes, that definitely includes Ohio State. The talent level Young has around him is absurd, so don't tell me how his receivers aren't good just because they used to be running backs.

As far as Jamal Charles is concerned, he is this years' Adrian Peterson, period. The guy is amazing. And guess who is behind him? Another running back that could start on any college team in America in Selvin Young. Not to mention the best offensive line in the country. UT is stacked, and Young is reaping the benefits.

I'm not saying he's a bad prototypical QB, but let's not kid ourselves by who he's surrounded by here. He won't be able to bowl people over nearly as well in the NFL, and he relies on that. He's about 3 or 4 years from even stepping onto an NFL field, if you ask me.
If you think Selvin Young could start for any team in America then you need to shutup about someone else not knowing the dynamics of college football, and I don't care how good an athlete is he has to learn to run routes so the QB knows where they are. I never said his receivers this year were awlful but they sure as hell aren't RECEIVERS yet. Nice try.

parchy

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
If you think Selvin Young could start for any team in America then you need to shutup about someone else not knowing the dynamics of college football, and I don't care how good an athlete is he has to learn to run routes so the QB knows where they are. I never said his receivers this year were awlful but they sure as hell aren't RECEIVERS yet. Nice try.

Other than injuries, there is no reason to believe SY COULDN'T start anywhere. The guy is a menace when he's 100%.

And why aren't his guys receivers yet? What evidence do you have to back this claim up? They seem to be out-running and out-performing everybody put on them this year, and I've seen every second of Longhorns football this year, so don't try telling me otherwise. You're going to have to do more than that to consider this argument a closed case.

jimmy40

Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
When Ramonce Taylor learns how to play receiver it will be flat out scary how good he is. Right now he is nothing but an athlete, just like he was recruited to be.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
His receivers are just fine. That number 5, don't know his name, is a real playmaker, don't ebven say Texas doesn't have people around Young, because other than USC there isn't a more loaded team in the country.

Jimmie

Reaction score
It was said about Vince Young when he came to Texas, that hes a bigger version of Vick. I dont remember Vick putting up these kind of #'s in the passing game, so I'd say advantage Young. Would I draft VY? Your damn right I would. Whether it be QB or WR, he's such a tremendous athlete I think he'd excel at either. :bow:

zagnut

Reaction score
I'm sure others have seen more of them, but Limas Sweed and Billy Pittman look like pretty good WRs to me. Sweed was a RB? Pittman? Redshirt Sophmores, no? They were recruited as WRs. David Thomas seems like a pretty good TE and eventual H-back prospect.

calico

Reaction score
Vince has all the talent in the world. He is the beating heart of the Texas longhorns and he has made alot of progress in just one year. I hope he stays for his senior year, but I bet he will go out early if Texas bring home the NC.

I find it funny that people say he can't read defenses or he needs work on this throwing motion.

Vince has done nothing but pass this season and NEWSFLASH, he CAN read defenses. Very well actually. He also releases the ball from his shoulder, which for a 6 foot 5 player, is still higher than most QBs.

What he really needs work on is his footwork. That is what causes him to throw bad passes. He gets lazy with it sometimes and that is when he misses his receivers.

Vince is a player I would sit for a year and then bring him in. He will be a great NFL QB.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
I like the way you think Hos, theres never an excuse to not add new talent. Now, why is it your so sold on Henson? Is it his physical ability, poise, what?
I probably shouldn't answer this in here. I know how it upsets some. Oh well, let them be upset.

I really believe in QB pedigree. I always have. I always will. Pedigree can be in so many forms.

Son of a coach or player.

A product of a coach. (Norm Chow for instance.)

A product of a school known for QBs.

Simply put he has all the ingredients. Size, speed, arm, head, and pedigree. If our coaching staff can't coach him then it is a sad commentary on them as much as on the kid.

People like to poo poo the "experts" who rate players. They cite one or two misses as evidence they don't know what they are talking about. I find that narrow minded and feeble. They do their jobs because they are good at it. Every "expert" agreed on Henson.

I've seen nothing to indicate he can't get the job done and nothing that indicates the team is down on him or doesn't believe in him. Those are the imaginations of people who are still bitter about other QB wars more than the mindset of the team.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
calico said:
Vince has all the talent in the world. He is the beating heart of the Texas longhorns and he has made alot of progress in just one year. I hope he stays for his senior year, but I bet he will go out early if Texas bring home the NC.

I find it funny that people say he can't read defenses or he needs work on this throwing motion.

Vince has done nothing but pass this season and NEWSFLASH, he CAN read defenses. Very well actually. He also releases the ball from his shoulder, which for a 6 foot 5 player, is still higher than most QBs.

What he really needs work on is his footwork. That is what causes him to throw bad passes. He gets lazy with it sometimes and that is when he misses his receivers.

Vince is a player I would sit for a year and then bring him in. He will be a great NFL QB.

Well said.......could not agree more. ;)

Famous Star

Reaction score
Let's put it this way.......He will have a better career in the NFL than the man from Troy, Matt Leinart......Guaranteed....

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with the "Footwork" comment.

Alot of times he just flings the ball with out wind up and stepping into the pocket. On one touchdown pass against Texas Tech, they replayed him doing this just to show you that he needs a little work.

- Mike G.

Tobal

Reaction score
in 2004 I said he'd never be a qb in the NFL, well I was wrong. I admit it, he's had ample oppurtunity to lose this year and he makes play after play, week after week.

His leadership is what has impressed me most, he put notes on players lockers all spring and summer. He'd put notes on the safety's stuff asking them how they were planning stop Ginn, asked players if they thought OSU players were taking the day off, etc etc.

jay cee

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Young did?

He can always change his mind, but I think it would be a good move for him if he did. He's made a nice progression in 2005 from 2004. Be nice to see if it continues.
I enjoyed your posts in this thread, Hos. But I will disagree with this one.

At one point, I thought Young should stay in school for his senior season, but now I don't think it will make any difference.

I thought the Longhorn coaches did a poor job developing Simms, because I saw him locking on his primary receiver in his last game at the collegiate level as if he had never been taught differently.

Last Saturday during the game, they showed video of Young warming up prior to the game.

The commentator was marveling at his arm strength as he stood flat footed with his feet shoulder width apart and effortly flipped the ball to the receiver.

That was cool to see, but here is a QB with awful mechanics. The coaches should be driving it into his head at all times to work on his footwork. Stride toward his target.

His poor footwork is the main reason IMO so many of his passes sail on him. I'm not talking about changing his arm slot or anything, I'm just saying that no way should his coaches allow him to practice with such sloppy mechanics.

And if he is not going to get any better coaching than this, he may as well go pro now.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jay cee said:
I enjoyed your posts in this thread, Hos. But I will disagree with this one.

At one point, I thought Young should stay in school for his senior season, but now I don't think it will make any difference.

I thought the Longhorn coaches did a poor job developing Simms, because I saw him locking on his primary receiver in his last game at the collegiate level as if he had never been taught differently.

Last Saturday during the game, they showed video of Young warming up prior to the game.

The commentator was marveling at his arm strength as he stood flat footed with his feet shoulder width apart and effortly flipped the ball to the receiver.

That was cool to see, but here is a QB with awful mechanics. The coaches should be driving it into his head at all times to work on his footwork. Stride toward his target.

His poor footwork is the main reason IMO so many of his passes sail on him. I'm not talking about changing his arm slot or anything, I'm just saying that no way should his coaches allow him to practice with such sloppy mechanics.

And if he is not going to get any better coaching than this, he may as well go pro now.
Peyton Manning didn't benefit from that Senior year huh?

Put Henson In

Reaction score
Look at Vince's passing stats from last year compared to this year and tell me he hasn't progressed. Greg Davis has actually done a great job as QB coach and OC over the the last year. You want to see Vince's feet watch him vs Tech (04) or Michigan game last year, his arm watch CU two weeks ago, his leadership watch the OSU game, Kansas game, Michigan game and tOSU game. He along with Bush are two of the most athletic, dynamic players in college football over the last 10 years.

BHendri5

Reaction score
I'm one is willing to bet that Young get's turned into a WR. He does not have a Cunningham throwing motion. He stands tall in the pocket but he throws the ball with a quirky side motion. I do not think he really throws it. It's more like he flicks or pushes it. Yes he can throw the long ball, but it is like someone said earlier it is a looping, or rainbow like. Those passes would never be completed if the DB's could run with his WRs.

He has one receiver that was a RB, from Belton (Ramonce Taylor, Who played with my cousin on that Belton Team, my cousin was the WR, but he is a knucklehead who wants to hang out in the streets) Billy Pittman was a QB in High School, Limus SWeed was the only WR coming out of High School, Carter was a High School QB also.

All I hear and see is VY, highlights and the UT games, and as much as would like to see a UT QB make it as a NFL QB, right now I cannot see VY other than a WR in the NFL.

I am always talking to the radio guys here. If you are good the UT fanbase will make it seem like there is no one else in college football better, but I expect that is everywhere, so no big deal. I just think that they do not look at things objectively.

People say that VY, is reading the defenses, he has not played a team that plays an NFL type of defense, maybe Ohio State?

But you saw what happened once those LBs got locked in on him. The Buckeyes coach lost that game for them. You cannot run a 2 QB system.

Yes, VY racked up some yards in the Ohio ST. game (Passing), it was not because he read the defense, the only guy that could get open the majority of the game was Pittman, and VY just kept looking for him, I mean he was locked in on him everytime a pass play was called after the first couple of passes. Which is good, I would have done the same thing, he kept beating his man so keep hitting him, Ramonce Taylor is good whenever he comes in he wins in his matchup too. VY is smart he knows is money players.

If he were to come out this year, he will be a WR. But if he stays and he can finally get a proper throwing motion then I say he will get that chance to prove his QB ability.

He does have that "IT", but right now IT will work for him at the WR spot in the NFL.
JMO