Question about Vince Young, Texas QB.

ghst187

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Looked pretty good against OSU, but I guess their defense sucks too, right? UTs pass offense is not simple.

you must've missed his TO's....
at least one of them was a HS-level mistake and just tossed it right to a LB instead of taking the sack. He does that a lot, esp when the offense isn't churning. Go look at the OU game from 2004.
I don't remember UT running much more than 2 WRs and one TE downfield on passing plays.
I also think that UT is so stacked at so many positions and the Big 12 is so terrible that UT can walk over everyone and all they're players look great. I also don't think OSU is all everyone thought they were either.

Look, at best the guy is Vick all over again and a ton of falcon fans would like to see Vick moved to RB or WR because they're sick of his erratic play. Young isn't ever going to be a drop-back passer and until I see a run-first QB win a championship....I'll pass on them. Young's athletic ability is actually going to be wasted by him insisting on playing QB at the next level IMO.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I agree with you. There is no comparison between the 2. Leftwich is a classic pocket passer, Young an innovator on the move.

Bad example on RedskinsOne's part. Real silly.

Yeah, I think he can play QB in the NFL if he goes to the right team with the right coach. He's very similar to Mike Vick. Jim Mora Jr. loves Vick and what he brings to the table at QB because he can beat you in so many ways. The knock on Vick (it will be the same knock on Young most likely) is that he can beat his own team because he's not accurate.

Mechanics can be taught. Accuracy is a lot harder to teach. Impossible? No, of course not, but it gets a lot of guys killed and I'm not talking QBs, I'm talking receivers. Laying a receiver out with a bad pass can cause serious injuries because their ribs are too exposed when they have to reach for the ball in any direction.

Accuracy cannot be stressed enough. I suspect Vick's career will be shorter than some QBs because once he can't run his lack of accuracy will turn his own team off.

Vick's running ability is amazing and because it is so dynamic his accuracy is less an issue for the Falcons. Is there another team and coach out there that would take that kind of running ability at QB? I'm sure there is.

Young's got unreal talent. Unlike Patrick Crayton, Hines Ward, Matt Jones, and Antwan Randle El, Young and Vick have big time arms. It saves them from the switch to WR and RB because there will always be a team and coach willing to take a chance on a weapon.

I prefere the classic drop back passer by a wide margin, but I enjoy watching Vick, and I think I'll enjoy watching Young too.

This opinion will not sit well with some.

:grin:

I agree 100%. Do you think any of these guys :Omar Jacobs, Reggie McNeal, Marcus Vick (just read a recent Sporting News claiming his throwing is very very good, and already is better than his brother), Brad Smith, etc, are farther along that Young? Who do you think of these mobile types has the best chance to suceed at QB in the NFL?

jimmy40

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
at least one of them was a HS-level mistake and just tossed it right to a LB instead of taking the sack. He does that a lot, esp when the offense isn't churning. Go look at the OU game from 2004.
I don't remember UT running much more than 2 WRs and one TE downfield on passing plays.
I also think that UT is so stacked at so many positions and the Big 12 is so terrible that UT can walk over everyone and all they're players look great. I also don't think OSU is all everyone thought they were either.

Look, at best the guy is Vick all over again and a ton of falcon fans would like to see Vick moved to RB or WR because they're sick of his erratic play. Young isn't ever going to be a drop-back passer and until I see a run-first QB win a championship....I'll pass on them. Young's athletic ability is actually going to be wasted by him insisting on playing QB at the next level IMO.
Why the hell do you keep talking about 2004? Who were his receivers? :rolleyes: I saw him have a bad play for Houston Madison a couple times too. Damnit, his two best receivers are basically a running back and qb learning how to play receiver and he's completing 65% of his passes. Man that just sucks don't it?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Considering VY's best two receivers are actually running backs and he's best running back is a freshman that's hurt he's playing extremely well. So why the chip on your shoulder about VY?

Horns haters.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
The only difference between Vince Young and Byron Leftwhich is their skin tone and that is where the similarities end.

Vincent Young is light year ahead of where he was last year. He had a hard time throwing the ball last year and knew he needed to work on his pocket awareness and accuracy.

If you were fortunate enough to watch the Ohio State game, you came away with a sense that Young had made great strides in the Passing Game. He made alot of big throws in that game as well as beating you with his feet.

One thing about Vince Young is he is Brady like, where he has that "Ice Water" in his veins and rarely show any emotion.

I just think the guy has that "IT" factor where he is able to make plays and is a winner.

Like CBZ40 said, he will be a 1st Round Quarter back in the NFL. Some team will get a great quarterback, but they will need to work with him heavily on his mechanics.

Funny, some of these people that have BIG time agendas will tell you Young will never play as a QB in the NFL because of his mechanics but last time I checked a "CERTAIN" player some are in LOVE with on this roster had his mechanics tweeked this offseason. Something about him supposedly throwing the ball like it is baseball :rolleyes: .

I think Reggie McNeal has a chance to go Pro as a QB as well, but his speed may do him in.

- Mike G.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
ghst187 said:

And what WTH is wrong with being Vick all over again. Has the 1st or 2nd highest winning percentage of any quarterback and his team has improved every year as a starter.

You give Michael Vick a Randy Moss or Terrell Owens type of receiver and I bet they are in the Super Bowl this year. The Jets are playing a 5 man front because they dont really respect any of the receivers for the Falcons.

If you have a Harrison, Owens, or Moss out there with "Number 7", you dont see 5 man fronts and they have to respect the pass and that opens up alot of opportunites.

Oh, and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying a ton of Falcons fans want him to move to Running Back. That is just a Bold Face Lie and most people on here know it would be a RIOT in A-Town if Mora was stupid enough to do that.

- Mike G.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
I agree 100%. Do you think any of these guys :Omar Jacobs, Reggie McNeal, Marcus Vick (just read a recent Sporting News claiming his throwing is very very good, and already is better than his brother), Brad Smith, etc, are farther along that Young? Who do you think of these mobile types has the best chance to suceed at QB in the NFL?
I think they'll all get a shot. Maybe not all at QB, but they might.

McNeal is going to have a stigma to beat because he's only 6'1". Other short QBs have done okay but they still have to overcome the stigma.

I like Omar Jacobs, he has the prototypical size. Reminds me of Daunte Culpepper whom I really like. I think he may end up being the best of the bunch.

With apologies to my good friend and Missouri Tigers alum here, scottsp, I wouldn't want Brad Smith. Too erratic and not heady enough for me.

Marcus Vick is an enigma. I think he will need to overcome some character issues and I think that just like Eli Manning is unfairly compared to Peyton he will be unfairly compared to Michael.

I'd rank Young behind Jacobs, because of accuracy issues.

I'm hoping this will be seen as fairly judged because I admit openly I prefer the pocket guys. This is why I like Jacobs best. I feel he's the one who can most likely develop into the pocket first guy who can also kill you when he has to run.

zagnut

Reaction score
I think the Commander fan just wanted to get Cowboys fans filling up yet another QB thread. If there's one thing everyone loves responding to here, it's a QB thread. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
zagnut said:
I think the Commander fan just wanted to get Cowboys fans filling up yet another QB thread. If there's one thing everyone loves responding to here, it's a QB thread. :)
I love them.

:grin:

jimmy40

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I think they'll all get a shot. Maybe not all at QB, but they might.

McNeal is going to have a stigma to beat because he's only 6'1". Other short QBs have done okay but they still have to overcome the stigma.

I like Omar Jacobs, he has the prototypical size. Reminds me of Daunte Culpepper whom I really like. I think he may end up being the best of the bunch.

With apologies to my good friend and Missouri Tigers alum here, scottsp, I wouldn't want Brad Smith. Too erratic and not heady enough for me.

Marcus Vick is an enigma. I think he will need to overcome some character issues and I think that just like Eli Manning is unfairly compared to Peyton he will be unfairly compared to Michael.

I'd rank Young behind Jacobs, because of accuracy issues.

I'm hoping this will be seen as fairly judged because I admit openly I prefer the pocket guys. This is why I like Jacobs best. I feel he's the one who can most likely develop into the pocket first guy who can also kill you when he has to run.
I like pocket guys first too Hos but I'll bet you one thing, Vince Young will play QB in the NFL longer than Jason White.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
I like pocket guys first too Hos but I'll bet you one thing, Vince Young will play QB in the NFL longer than Jason White.
I wouldn't take that bet if I was drunk and the odds were 100 to 1.

jimmy40

Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:
he said today he wants to stay for his senior year!!!

giddy up!
I hope some of his offensive lineman are on the Jason White 10 year plan but I'm afraid they are all leaving.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:
he said today he wants to stay for his senior year!!!

giddy up!
Young did?

He can always change his mind, but I think it would be a good move for him if he did. He's made a nice progression in 2005 from 2004. Be nice to see if it continues.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Young did?

He can always change his mind, but I think it would be a good move for him if he did. He's made a nice progression in 2005 from 2004. Be nice to see if it continues.

yea, nothing official, of course, but he still said it.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
I like Jacobs the best as well, and like a lot of quarterbacks, I think his stock will soar after he shows scouts his accuracy at the combine, then solidify his 1st round pick status when he runs his 40. Would you mind seeing him in a Dallas uni. Hos or are you still sold on Henson?

parchy

Reaction score
Somebody was talking about how "awful" Vince's wide outs are because they're converted running backs and how his actual running back is an injured freshman...

I don't think some people understand the dynamics of the college game. If you're fast (a la both of Texas' starting wide outs) and have the athletic ability to be recruited by UT (i.e. you're probably among the best athletes in the entire state, at least), you'll be able to get open, catch balls and score. If you've ever seen Texas this year, you'd know that his receivers are just as, if not more athletic than any defensive back the opposing defense has on the field. Yes, that definitely includes Ohio State. The talent level Young has around him is absurd, so don't tell me how his receivers aren't good just because they used to be running backs.

As far as Jamal Charles is concerned, he is this years' Adrian Peterson, period. The guy is amazing. And guess who is behind him? Another running back that could start on any college team in America in Selvin Young. Not to mention the best offensive line in the country. UT is stacked, and Young is reaping the benefits.

I'm not saying he's a bad prototypical QB, but let's not kid ourselves by who he's surrounded by here. He won't be able to bowl people over nearly as well in the NFL, and he relies on that. He's about 3 or 4 years from even stepping onto an NFL field, if you ask me.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
I like Jacobs the best as well, and like a lot of quarterbacks, I think his stock will soar after he shows scouts his accuracy at the combine, then solidify his 1st round pick status when he runs his 40. Would you mind seeing him in a Dallas uni. Hos or are you still sold on Henson?
I'm still very sold on Henson and so is the team from what I hear. That's all I'll say about that.

I NEVER turn my back on adding talent if they are available. I had a friend on the team who gave me some great inside info. He got cut when we drafted a player at his position who was simply better. I was fine with it. I will always be fine with it.

No player on the team is so beloved by me that I would throw a hissy fit if they got replaced by a better player. I do not support those kinds of agendas and that is why I mock some on here who have them. Yeah, I mock them, I admit it. Can't help it, foolishness is so fun to expose.

Now if we replace the player I love with a scrub, expect me to really dislike the scrub. See my stances on Troy Hambrick, Robert Thomas and Darian Barnes for examples. I'd avoid my stances on Q and Hutch.

:wink2:

If we got Jacobs I'd be happy. If we give Henson a shot I'll be happy. If Tony Romo becomes the QB I don't currently see in him, I'll be happy.

I always want what is best for the team as long as the team doesn't spend stupidly to acquire it. In other words don't sell everything for a shiny whistle.