Question for Stephen Jones: How's the grand plan going?

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
:bow:

I've said this myself many times before, if we do nothing else but sign a quality kicker, I'd be a very happy man, anything else and another great draft would be gravy

Bingo. I want a kicker...a good, long term one. A few were taken off the market today. We have to get this done.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
Bingo. I want a kicker...a good, long term one. A few were taken off the market today. We have to get this done.

:hammer:

although we have holes to fill, this isn't like past teams, we actually don't need to break the bank in free agency anymore, we actually have talent to work with on the current roster, that we can afford to spend the big money on one position, kicker, and take our time, and get some quality, affordable role players, and just continuing on building through the draft...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
paying an unknown such as Kosier, the same annual salary that we're paying Flozell Adams

Adams is nearing the end of a contract that pays him $5 million per year (and has salaries of $5 million this year and next). Kosier just signed for $3 million per year, reportedly. Adjusted for salary cap inflation, Kosier's deal would have been for $2.21 million per year when Adams signed for $5 million. (Or Adams' deal would have been for $6.8 million per year when Kosier signed for $3 million.) So Kosier's contract actually is for less than half as much as Flozell's.

When you consider how high the salary cap is -- $16.5 million more than last year -- and how high it'll be within the next five years, a five-year deal for $15 million isn't quite as pricey as it used to be.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Adams is nearing the end of a contract that pays him $5 million per year (and has salaries of $5 million this year and next). Kosier just signed for $3 million per year, reportedly. Adjusted for salary cap inflation, Kosier's deal would have been for $2.21 million per year when Adams signed for $5 million. (Or Adams' deal would have been for $6.8 million per year when Kosier signed for $3 million.) So Kosier's contract actually is for less than half as much as Flozell's.

When you consider how high the salary cap is -- $16.5 million more than last year -- and how high it'll be within the next five years, a five-year deal for $15 million isn't quite as pricey as it used to be.

This is the first I've read of how much we payed him (had a game last night). That's actually a pretty good price.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Rack said:
The only player I'm disappointed we didn't sign is Longwell. I wanted Bentley, but knew we wouldn't pursue him.

I don't want Vanderjerk, so that leave Viniatiehoweveryouspellit.

JJ... Overpay the man if you have to. We NEED a good kicker. Do not make me go through another 2005 next season.

I agree. If it's a matter of overpaying for a Vinatieri or signing a subpar player, then we need to overpay.

At least you know you're overpaying for the, possibly, the best kicker in league history.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Adam has spoken...it is law. :bow:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
Adam has spoken...it is law. :bow:

Hallowed is the Adam.

Sorry, been watching a lot of stargate lately.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
one poster? hehe

Would that it was ONLY one poster...

If I had the money, I'd borrow a page from comedian Bill Engvald's "here's your sign" (for the stupid) schtick, and make up Chicken Little t-shirts, to be awared to any gloom and doomer who comes to a Cowboys message board to give vent to his premature outrage...

I'd have to start with an initial order of at least 6 gross, I think...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

hmmm, I'm dumbfounded

but my point still stands

yes, that is all I can say in retort :(

as you can see, I'm still dumbfounded

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Would that it was ONLY one poster...

If I had the money, I'd borrow a page from comedian Bill Engvald's "here's your sign" (for the stupid) schtick, and make up Chicken Little t-shirts, to be awared to any gloom and doomer who comes to a Cowboys message board to give vent to his premature outrage...

I'd have to start with an initial order of at least 6 gross, I think...

:laugh2:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Adam, would I be far off in guesstimating that the combined cap hits of Kosier and Gurode this coming year will be in the 3.25-3.5 million range??

I'm going with the reported 1.5 million (including bonus) for Gurode's one year deal, and the 1 million cap hit for Kosier's signing bonus (5 years, 5 million), combined with a first year base salary in the 750k to 1 million range...

If my estimates are in the ballpark, that should leave the Boys with something around 19.0-19.25 million...

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Dale said:
I agree. If it's a matter of overpaying for a Vinatieri or signing a subpar player, then we need to overpay.

At least you know you're overpaying for the, possibly, the best kicker in league history.

Must agree Dale..Jerry needs to make this one happen and happen soon!!!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Adam, would I be far off in guesstimating that the combined cap hits of Kosier and Gurode this coming year will be in the 3.25-3.5 million range??

I'm going with the reported 1.5 million (including bonus) for Gurode's one year deal, and the 1 million cap hit for Kosier's signing bonus (5 years, 5 million), combined with a first year base salary in the 750k to 1 million range...

If my estimates are in the ballpark, that should leave the Boys with something around 19.0-19.25 million...

For now, I can only guess at Kosier's first-year cap number and have to trust the media on Gurode's. But if we accept that Gurode's cap number is $1.5 million and assume that Kosier got a 2006 base salary between $585,000 (his minimum) and $1 million, that makes their combined cap hit between $3.085 and $3.5 million. But when we add them to our cap, they'll knock two $350,000 players out of our Top 51, so they'll reduce our cap room by only $2.335 million to $2.75 million. So we should have right about $20 million remaining.

visionary

Reaction score
so we are willing to overapy for a kicker (vinatieri) and a LB (ayodele) but wont pay market value for stud OL players. I say market value because when others in the market are willing to pay a price for something that by default becomes it's market value.

when will we realise that this game is won in the trenches. no kicker in the world can make 70 yard field goals. without an OL we will be unable to sustain drives and have a repeat of last year.

call it whatever you want but we will be the ones crying foul in jan next year when our team is sitting at home. what good will those 20 million be?

i can only hope that we have other OL signinigs to make or go OL in the 1st round of the draft, else DB is toast and so is our season.

superpunk

Reaction score
visionary said:
so we are willing to overapy for a kicker (vinatieri) and a LB (ayodele) but wont pay market value for stud OL players. I say market value because when others in the market are willing to pay a price for something that by default becomes it's market value.

when will we realise that this game is won in the trenches. no kicker in the world can make 70 yard field goals. without an OL we will be unable to sustain drives and have a repeat of last year.

call it whatever you want but we will be the ones crying foul in jan next year when our team is sitting at home. what good will those 20 million be?

i can only hope that we have other OL signinigs to make or go OL in the 1st round of the draft, else DB is toast and so is our season.

Still haven't figured out that this is just the first day of FA, and there are plenty of players left, huh?

voodoo

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
:bow:

I've said this myself many times before, if we do nothing else but sign a quality kicker, I'd be a very happy man, anything else and another great draft would be gravy

i agree totally, the reason we lost most of the games last season was because of our kicker, couldnt make dumb field goals. imagine what could have happen had they made all those kicks. we can only dream.

voodoo

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
For now, I can only guess at Kosier's first-year cap number and have to trust the media on Gurode's. But if we accept that Gurode's cap number is $1.5 million and assume that Kosier got a 2006 base salary between $585,000 (his minimum) and $1 million, that makes their combined cap hit between $3.085 and $3.5 million. But when we add them to our cap, they'll knock two $350,000 players out of our Top 51, so they'll reduce our cap room by only $2.335 million to $2.75 million. So we should have right about $20 million remaining.

Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about :bow:

visionary

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Still haven't figured out that this is just the first day of FA, and there are plenty of players left, huh?

Nope, I guess i havent , so can you please name the quality centers and tackles left in FA?

I would be most obliged.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
visionary said:
Nope, I guess i havent , so can you please name the quality centers and tackles left in FA?

I would be most obliged.

Isn't Kevin Mawae still available? Yes, he's old, but he IS still a quality center.

As far as Tackles go... were there any "Quality" tackles in FA to begin with? Fabini is solid, not sure I'd classify him as "Quality" though.

And incase you missed all of last season, a kicker is a HUGE reason we lost a few games last year. So YES, a kicker IS more important right now then a tackle. Period.

Our tackle problems didn't start showing up till Adams went down. You want a tackle? Flozell Adams coming back from injury, voila, there's your tackle.

Now please... quit yer cryin'.

superpunk

Reaction score
visionary said:

I would be most obliged.

I've been saying all offseason that we won't be making a big OL splash. Pettiti doesn't need replaced, and obviously Gurode's our center. If you were expecting big moves there, you were just setting yourself up for disappointment. Big moves aren't needed. Depth is needed, and continuity.