Question for the "let's let Lawrence walk" crowd

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing about the DLaw situation that few here seem to talk about is this: How the team treats him will be watched by all the young talent on this team when it’s time for them to sign a second contract.

What I mean by that is Stephen Jones has been preaching for years how important it is for young players to work hard, play well, and be a leader...then you get rewarded by a big contract. DLaw has done ALL that. He has been the opposite of guys like David Irving who have talent but waste it on the wrong things. You can’t resign everyone of course, but isn’t DLaw a guy this organization can point to and say he’s done things the right way?

I think this team needs to sign him. Some fans act like finding a DE that can rush the passer is as easy as picking the pass rush tree out back. (Right next to the “franchise QB tree”!) We draft and develop this guy, he performs, then we let him go?

Rayman70

Reaction score
im not in that crowd. Im in the crowd that says we have a salary cap and other players to sign and lets make reasonable deals.

Sydla

Reaction score
You keep saying "tagged" like it is a deterrent to a trade

Teams work out an extension before the trade..... EVERY TIME

It is a non-issue

And yet, how many players that have been tagged get traded?

Not many. Teams are largely against having to give up a premium pick AND then have to give a massive contract. They'd rather just hit free agency and spend their money there and keep their prime picks.

Mack got two first round picks, but he's an elite, best of the best player. Lawrence, while very good, isn't that. Plus, pass rushing OLBs with versatility are more valuable than pure DEs. Mack got two first round picks.

Cassell was traded with Vrabel and got a high 2nd round pick in compensation. Landry was tagged and the Dolphins got a 4th and 7th round pick.

If you could get a #1 for Lawrence, sure, you'd have to look long and hard at it. But I am not sure you are going to get that because players aren't traded very often in situations like this because teams largely are protective of their picks, especially high picks.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
One thing about the DLaw situation that few here seem to talk about is this: How the team treats him will be watched by all the young talent on this team when it’s time for them to sign a second contract.

What I mean by that is Stephen Jones has been preaching for years how important it is for young players to work hard, play well, and be a leader...then you get rewarded by a big contract. DLaw has done ALL that. He has been the opposite of guys like David Irving who have talent but waste it on the wrong things. You can’t resign everyone of course, but isn’t DLaw a guy this organization can point to and say he’s done things the right way?

I think this team needs to sign him. Some fans act like finding a DE that can rush the passer is as easy as picking the pass rush tree out back. (Right next to the “franchise QB tree”!) We draft and develop this guy, he performs, then we let him go?
they will sign him...in the end, he will be here. Just don't want to be limited in free agency because we destroyed our cap with 1 player.

Little Jr

Reaction score
He will be missed in Sept. Once Oct hits we just need someone or someone's to replace, .5 sacks a game , .5 TFL a game and 3 tackles a game.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He will be missed in Sept. Once Oct hits we just need someone or someone's to replace, .5 sacks a game , .5 TFL a game and 3 tackles a game.

We've been over this - stop trying to retread and look silly again.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
The more I look at what he is looking for and the upcoming contracts that Dallas needs to work out, the more I think he should be tagged and traded to a team with a huge amount of cap space.

Cle is a team that might be interested. They have a ton of cap space and they are an up and comer with a superstar at one end spot(Myles Garrett) and the acquisition of Dlaw for the other side would make them a dominating force.

Here are three trade proposals.

No 1. Dlaw for Emmanuel Ogbah, David Njoku, and Duke Thomas. We had some interest in Ogbah when he was drafted, we need a tight end and Duke Thomas is a throw in since they just added kareen hunt and no longer need him and we could use a backup RB. Dlaw at this point is worth an early 1. Ogbah (a late 2nd), Njoku(a late 1st) and Thomas would be close to equal value. We take a step back at DE but aren't left stranded and get to fill a couple of other needs.

Option no 2. Dlaw for Ogbah, Jabril Peppers and Duke Thomas. same theory but instead of filling the need at TE we fill the need at S.S.

Option no 3. Dlaw for Cle 1st rd pick. Pick 17 and Pick 80. A 1st and 3rd and Duke Thomas. Less than Mack but a decent haul and again an opp to fill a few holes on the team.

All contingent on contract extensions etc.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I think people get nervous when a couple of commas are in the equation. Why trade him to only take the same position with the hopes of finding a clone? So we don’t have to fork out a big contract? This isn’t how it works.

Little Jr

Reaction score
they will sign him...in the end, he will be here. Just don't want to be limited in free agency because we destroyed our cap with 1 player.
5 yr, 94-96m, 58-60m wouldn't kill the cap and would be a fair deal for both parties. Would make him the highest paid DE and on par with Jones contract he signed in 2017.

Now, if it was my money, and it's not lol, I wouldn't give him that. But knowing how the NFL and NFL contracts work, this would be a fair deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
The more I look at what he is looking for and the upcoming contracts that Dallas needs to work out, the more I think he should be tagged and traded to a team with a huge amount of cap space.

Cle is a team that might be interested. They have a ton of cap space and they are an up and comer with a superstar at one end spot(Myles Garrett) and the acquisition of Dlaw for the other side would make them a dominating force.

Here are three trade proposals.

No 1. Dlaw for Emmanuel Ogbah, David Njoku, and Duke Thomas. We had some interest in Ogbah when he was drafted, we need a tight end and Duke Thomas is a throw in since they just added kareen hunt and no longer need him and we could use a backup RB. Dlaw at this point is worth an early 1. Ogbah (a late 2nd), Njoku(a late 1st) and Thomas would be close to equal value. We take a step back at DE but aren't left stranded and get to fill a couple of other needs.

Option no 2. Dlaw for Ogbah, Jabril Peppers and Duke Thomas. same theory but instead of filling the need at TE we fill the need at S.S.

Option no 3. Dlaw for Cle 1st rd pick. Pick 17 and Pick 80. A 1st and 3rd and Duke Thomas. Less than Mack but a decent haul and again an opp to fill a few holes on the team.

All contingent on contract extensions etc.

#3 would interest me but seems pretty pie in the sky. Ogbah does nothing for me so #1 and #2 wouldn't interest me all that much.

I don't think we can take a "step back" at DE without the entire defense taking a step back. But, in fairness, I am obsessed with having great DEs, especially in a system like Marinelli/Richard where we don't blitz a lot and rely on pressure from the front four. I am so crazy I'd bring back Lawrence and still draft a DE, if a good one was there, with our 2nd round pick.

Little Jr

Reaction score
We've been over this - stop trying to retread and look silly again.
Just stating facts. Lol i never looked silly. You have nothing just like last time. You use pff where they have him top 10 and rated as good. If we go off pff then he shouldn't be paid like the top DE in the NFL.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just stating facts. Lol i never looked silly. You have nothing just like last time. You use pff where they have him top 10 and rated as good. If we go off pff then he shouldn't be paid like the top DE in the NFL.

Yes, but in their write-ups, they call Lawrence one of the best edge defenders in the entire NFL. He absolutely should be paid like one of the best DEs (note, not OLBs like Mack) in football. If people don't want the Cowboys to be the one paying that, fine. But there needs to be a better plan than, "Well, Armstrong is gonna explode! Taco will spice it up! Gregory will be dominant!"

Reactions: G2

LittleD

Reaction score
That's not a very good DE rotation - Gregory, Armstrong, Charlton, mid-level FA, mid round draft pick.

It strikes me as odd that when we finally put a legitimate defense on the field, people panic over a contract and want to take a step back on defense. It's bizarre to me.

PS - Note, I am not suggesting pay Lawrence the sun and the moon. If he wants Mack or even Miller money, hell no. But his contract should be one of the best amongst pure DEs.

Should be and will be are worlds apart. If DLaw and his agent were being willing, the deal would be done. If he eventually does sign a long term deal, it will most likely be under threat of another TAG situation. DLaw is a very good DE but, he is not elite and getting 20+ sacks every year. DLaw can be and has been completely taken out of games.

Little Jr

Reaction score

Others have made this point and I couldn't disagree more. 1 player wont take away years of proof they sign their own. Smith, Fred, Martin, Dez, Crawford, Lee are just recent examples of cowboys taking care of their own . 1 player wouldn't destroy that. Cowboys are known to be loyal and I can argue at times too loyal.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Again, you're out of your element. Stop posting.

From 2017 to 2018 D-Law was a top 5 and top 10 defensive end. Go compare D-Law to this list of defensive ends.

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/

Stop comparing D-Law to Donald and Mack - he's not getting that money and it's different positions. You don't know what you're talking about but still insist on talking rather than research or asking questions. Why?

Again, give me the list of DE's in back to back seasons have had top 5 and top 10 production that justify their contracts. You have Campbell and Jordan. The rest of these guys had significant drop offs from one year to the next or have never been top 5 players.

Sydla

Reaction score
At first glance, I thought this said something about Lawrence Welk.

76913038.jpg

Little Jr

Reaction score
Yes, but in their write-ups, they call Lawrence one of the best edge defenders in the entire NFL. He absolutely should be paid like one of the best DEs (note, not OLBs like Mack) in football. If people don't want the Cowboys to be the one paying that, fine. But there needs to be a better plan than, "Well, Armstrong is gonna explode! Taco will spice it up! Gregory will be dominant!"
Let's be clear, I'm not a fan of pff. The only reason I brought them up because he did in the thread that Dlaw was asking for 100m and 70m gutanteee. The have him rated as good, not great and the #9 edge rusher . So that's not really a good source of you are saying pay him top $. Pay him as good and the #9 edge rusher.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of pff and I think he deserves more than that . The contract I suggested would make him the highest paid DE in the NFL. So it's not like I'm saying let him walk.