Question for the "let's let Lawrence walk" crowd

Little Jr

Reaction score
Look how baseball has utterly destroyed things, like the other day...a player just signed for 300 million!!! Is this what we want for the NFL...cough cough..Roger Goodell? Baseball will implode under its own weight if they do not have at least, a soft salary cap of some sort. The NFL must do something to reign in the over spending on players.The cap rules, in my opinion, need to be stricter. I want players to get what they deserve,but I also don't want to see teams destroyed. If we pay Lawrence lets say, 100 mil...and then Dak what he wants...THEN ZEKE, someone wont get paid, like Amari Cooper. Is that what we want?
Might not be what you want but it's what the NFL wants. Teams cant afford to keep everyone so that creates FA which creates that player going to another team which creates parody . That's what the NFL wants. ACTUALLY we can pay Dlaw, Zeke , Dak , Cooper. People act like all those players have to be signed this year, they don't. It's just a matter of IF we want to pay them.

The cap is very workable and the "cap hell" is a myth. I'm not saying you are one of these people but most really dont know a lot about the cap and how it works. They listen to talking heads and hear "cap hell" and freak out. I was the same way until 2014 and decided to learn it by reading and asking questions to people who knew more than I did.

As far as dlaw getting 100m, don't pay attention to the over all, the guaranteed is what you need to worry about. Some or a lot of the overall is funny money on the back end and not guaranteed . Dez got 70m but made 45m. I didn't like the contract but it wasn't a cap killer. He just never lived up to it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Might not be what you want but it's what the NFL wants. Teams cant afford to keep everyone so that creates FA which creates that player going to another team which creates parody . That's what the NFL wants. ACTUALLY we can pay Dlaw, Zeke , Dak , Cooper. People act like all those players have to be signed this year, they don't. It's just a matter of IF we want to pay them.

The cap is very workable and the "cap hell" is a myth. I'm not saying you are one of these people but most really dont know a lot about the cap and how it works. They listen to talking heads and hear "cap hell" and freak out. I was the same way until 2014 and decided to learn it by reading and asking questions to people who knew more than I did.

As far as dlaw getting 100m, don't pay attention to the over all, the guaranteed is what you need to worry about. Some or a lot of the overall is funny money on the back end and not guaranteed . Dez got 70m but made 45m. I didn't like the contract but it wasn't a cap killer. He just never lived up to it.
so the cap hell we "weren't in" prior to the last 2 years was an illusion? hmmm..ok. Whats the end game?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If we can retain Lawrence at the right amount it's fine. What I do not agree with or what a lot of folks who say that Lawrence needs to walk don't want to see is the Cowboys overpaying for his services.

Little Jr

Reaction score
so the cap hell we "weren't in" prior to the last 2 years was an illusion? hmmm..ok. Whats the end game?
Lol yes to people who don't get the cap and more importantly, how the FO structures contracts.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
When where prevented from signing someone

We gave Romo 108m. Dez 75m, Tron 97m, SLee 42m, TFred 60m. ZMartin 84m, Witten 40m, GHardy 13m, TCrawford 45m, OScan 32m, Carr 50m, Zeke 25m, LCollins 19m, DLaw 17m, Beasley 13m, Heath 12m, Bailey 20m

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Damn... I used "truly" twice in one sentence unnecessarily. Time to change albums...
Boy howdy! I'd truely reckon so, Amigo,as truly as I'm of finding true& honestly expressed concurrence in it's truest sense of truthfully admitted truthfulness
( sheese- wheeze ,,,and,,, do I ever hate it when I sometimes,,, er,,,perhaps maybe like twice,I'm thinking(truth be told ) having found my inadvertently reshuffled & reemployed verbiage repeatedly rammed back into posted pointed conversation,,,o_O

*might I suggest you 'spin' some T. NUGENT & the AMBOY DUKES
" WHITE BUFFALO" fer' that proper "centering of one's inner sky spirit" for it's truly stabilizing& grounding effect upon a person of the human tribes FOCUS is truly beneficial :thumbup:

:starspin:o_O :) o_O :starspin:

:lmao:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We let Lawrence walk.

What do we do at DE? Some seemed to suggest it was OK because we had Irving in the wings. Well, so much for that. You can't head into the season with your DE depth chart being Charlton, Armstrong, Gregory and sometimes Crawford (who is a better interior player than outside player). That would be a bottom half of the league DE group, at best.

Consider this. WITH LAWRENCE, the Cowboys were middle of the pack in sacks and pressures. They were actually in the bottom third of teams in terms of Football Outsiders sack rate. Where do you think those numbers go with no Lawrence? Or do you just say, "hey, we weren't all that great at getting after the QB with Lawrence, so who cares if we still stink at it in 2019?"

What should Dallas do if Lawrence is not part of this team in 2019?

And note, I am not opposed to letting Lawrence walk............. as long as the franchise has a plan in place to compensate for his loss. They can't pull a WR offseason 2018 ploy where they will get "production by committee."
Oh, whatever should we do, chap!?!?!

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I think Jerry learned that lesson of letting go his best player on offense after a Super Bowl run in 2014. He let RB Demarco Murray go who was the NFC Offensive Player of the Year in 2014. The Cowboys went 4-12 in 2015 earning the right to replace him with a top 5 draft pick choosing another RB Ezekiel Elliott.

You let go your best player on defense and you will be drafting in the top 5 for one the next year.

Repeating the same thing over again expecting different results....that is insanity.

Lol that team went 4-12 because Romo was hurt week 2.

Rayman70

Reaction score
When where prevented from signing someone

We gave Romo 108m. Dez 75m, Tron 97m, SLee 42m, TFred 60m. ZMartin 84m, Witten 40m, GHardy 13m, TCrawford 45m, OScan 32m, Carr 50m, Zeke 25m, LCollins 19m, DLaw 17m, Beasley 13m, Heath 12m, Bailey 20m
wait, let me ask you this, what is a bridge too far for you that you are not willing to pay DLAW AND LETS SAY,DAK? Is there no limit to what your willing to pay a guy,cap being considered? Sounds like that's what some here are saying. The Patriots don't operate this way and call me crazy, IT WORKS!!! Show me where they have taken this approach in paying a player a kings ransom and when it equaled a SB. The salary cap is there for a reason and the Pats work it smartly and have money left over in spades. Im sorry, over paying a player don't win you a ring, teams do. Guess that's what I am trying to say. Sends the wrong message if you pay too much for 1 or 2 guys.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
We let Lawrence walk.

What do we do at DE? Some seemed to suggest it was OK because we had Irving in the wings. Well, so much for that. You can't head into the season with your DE depth chart being Charlton, Armstrong, Gregory and sometimes Crawford (who is a better interior player than outside player). That would be a bottom half of the league DE group, at best.

Consider this. WITH LAWRENCE, the Cowboys were middle of the pack in sacks and pressures. They were actually in the bottom third of teams in terms of Football Outsiders sack rate. Where do you think those numbers go with no Lawrence? Or do you just say, "hey, we weren't all that great at getting after the QB with Lawrence, so who cares if we still stink at it in 2019?"

And note, I am not opposed to letting Lawrence walk............. as long as the franchise has a plan in place to compensate for his loss. They can't pull a WR offseason 2018 ploy where they will get "production by committee."
I totally agree with your post. Lawrence is a big part of our D. However, I don’t agree with paying him $23 million if that is his asking price. He has injury issues, and he has played through games with these issues; but can we afford him and risk losing others on the roster. I just don’t see paying him QB money. Could we get Flowers from New England to replace him.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I totally agree with your post. Lawrence is a big part of our D. However, I don’t agree with paying him $23 million if that is his asking price. He has injury issues, and he has played through games with these issues; but can we afford him and risk losing others on the roster. I just don’t see paying him QB money. Could we get Flowers from New England to replace him.

That's what we don't know, I'm sure that Jerry, et al have more knowledge as to who might be available, sure there are tampering rules in place but we all know those are both somewhat subject to interpretation and regularly skirted by teams. If there is someone out there, fine, but first he has to be willing to come to Dallas and second he has to be gotten for less money, but similar production.

No easy answer to the question...

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
3 facts
1 opinion
and 1 comment

If I hit a nerve is must be pretty close to the truth.
I don't know why people get upset. He just wasnt 20 million a year good. He's a good player don't get me wrong but I would pass if it was anything over 20. You are correct he didn't have any sacks against any good teams and was no where to be found in the playoffs. And if anyone brings up stopping the run that's what you have jags like ty craw to do at the D end spot.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
wait, let me ask you this, what is a bridge too far for you that you are not willing to pay DLAW AND LETS SAY,DAK? Is there no limit to what your willing to pay a guy,cap being considered? Sounds like that's what some here are saying. The Patriots don't operate this way and call me crazy, IT WORKS!!! Show me where they have taken this approach in paying a player a kings ransom and when it equaled a SB. The salary cap is there for a reason and the Pats work it smartly and have money left over in spades. Im sorry, over paying a player don't win you a ring, teams do. Guess that's what I am trying to say. Sends the wrong message if you pay too much for 1 or 2 guys.
I said all along DLaw should get 5/90m tops

Reaction score
The idea of not paying a double digit sack producing EDGE player who is also very good against the run is completely silly.

Brax

Reaction score
We let Lawrence walk.

Do not see how you can pay him Khalil Mack type money, he is no where near the impact player Mack is, also Played 47 out of 80 games and is hurt again. I only see downside to a high$$$ long term deal.