Question for the native Texans on the board

DFWJC

Reaction score
Had to blink.
We're on a Cowboy fan site and I just read that the Dallas Cowboys are a "loser franchise".
That's pretty all-encompassing statement if you undersatand what the word franchise entails.

Come one Z, take a chill pill.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm starting to see the Texans logo more and more everyday in this state. Do you think Jerry is concerned what will happened to the balance of fandom in the state if the Texans draft Mr. Charisma, Johnny Manziel? Do you think this keeps him up at night? Jerry has already lost so many young fans who do not want to associate themselves with this loser franchise, is he in danger of losing an entire generation if the cult hero from Aggieland goes to the Texans.

so in other words being a fan has to do with winning or losing? I'm a fan and many others are fans win, lose or draw. If someone is only going to be a fan based on winning then they are not much of a fan to begin with. Nothing wrong venting about what needs to be done to win but when a specator bases his loyalty on winning then they were never much of a fan to begin with.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I think the op has a point. I've been a big fan of JF ( only college ball I've watched this season was A&M because of him ). They always air both the Cowboy's and the Texan's games where I live. I seldom watch Houston even when it doesn't interfere with the Boy's game. If they draft JF, I will definitely watch them next year when it doesn't interfere with watching the Cowboys. And I'm a huge, die-hard Cowboys fan.

There are many bandwagon fans out there I'm sure who will finally jump ship completely if Manziel starts for the Texans AND (this is key) becomes a very good QB. It will no doubt give Houston a bigger share of Texas' rooting interest. Jerry I'm sure knows this.

But if JF does not tear up the league, then it will all blow over soon enough. And the Texans might not even take him anyway. So I think the odds against this having much effect on the popularity of the Cowboys in Texas is pretty small when taking this into account.

anava

Reaction score
so in other words being a fan has to do with winning or losing? I'm a fan and many others are fans win, lose or draw. If someone is only going to be a fan based on winning then they are not much of a fan to begin with. Nothing wrong venting about what needs to be done to win but when a specator bases his loyalty on winning then they were never much of a fan to begin with.

Being an older fan has zero to do with winning or losing, you grew up a Cowboy's fan. But switching a younger fan from the Texans over to the Cowboys is all about winning and losing. My son is 10 years old and he nearly became a Packer fan a couple of years ago because they were winners. The Cowboys used to be the team that could steal the youth of other team's fans but not anymore. Most of the fans now are because their parents are fans, even then you have to hope your kid doesn't grab onto another team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Being an older fan has zero to do with winning or losing, you grew up a Cowboy's fan. But switching a younger fan from the Texans over to the Cowboys is all about winning and losing. My son is 10 years old and he nearly became a Packer fan a couple of years ago because they were winners. The Cowboys used to be the team that could steal the youth of other team's fans but not anymore. Most of the fans now are because their parents are fans, even then you have to hope your kid doesn't grab onto another team.

Again if your loyalty is to winning, then you really have no team. That is not a fan that is a bandwagon and if that is what younger people choose then great but a fan sticks with their team through good and bad. Saints fans wore bags on their heads but they were there and when thing turned around those who stuck with their team got more enjoyment out of it than any Johnny come lately ever will.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score

I have coached youth sports/young men for 25 years.

This is spot on.

I am seeing that very few, if any, young boys are becoming Cowboy fans unless they are being influenced by their Dad, or Granpa, etc.

Why would they?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Worrying bout fan perception is the last thing that should bother JJ when building a draft board. Having said that its JJ and I would not but that beneath him.

I still find all the Johnny Football clamoring amusing. I like the kid, loved what he did at A&M. Dallas doesn't need what Manzel brings to the table. What has been the complaint about the Cowboys for years? We don't have roster depth. We don't have the players to do the grunt work. What this team needs is not Johnny Football this teams needs a DT that will blow up the line of scrimmage. This team needs a S that will make a play on the ball. This team needs a LB that can cover the middle of the field or blow up a running play.

I AGREE. And Dallas also needs a QB who doesn't throw picks to lose games. And a coach who has more than three running plays on his spreadsheet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have coached youth sports/young men for 25 years.

This is spot on.

I am seeing that very few, if any, young boys are becoming Cowboy fans unless they are being influenced by their Dad, or Granpa, etc.

Why would they?

There are always people who choose the flavor of the month, however as time goes on some of the teams at the top will find their way back to the bottom so then they switch teams again? Of course some will but then that has always been the way things go. I never considered them much of a fan to start with and really has no bearing on me as a fan. However I tend not to have much respect for those fans who jump from team to team

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Again if your loyalty is to winning, then you really have no team. That is not a fan that is a bandwagon and if that is what younger people choose then great but a fan sticks with their team through good and bad. Saints fans wore bags on their heads but they were there and when thing turned around those who stuck with their team got more enjoyment out of it than any Johnny come lately ever will.

All kids 10, 12, 15 don't have that kind of loyalty just yet.

They want to be associated with winning.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
All kids 10, 12, 15 don't have that kind of loyalty just yet.

They want to be associated with winning.

and thus they are not real fans and certainly not paying fans. I have never based my being a fan to winning or losing even as a kid. I played sports growing up I understand that as painful as it is losing is part of the game if you can't deal with it then maybe sports is not for you. (I don't mean you personally) One great lesson I learned in sports was how to deal with both winning and losing because life is a lot like sports and how you handle success and failure says a lot about a person character I was fortunate I was raised and coached to understand this. Anyone can be a Johnny come lately but the satisfaction is never the same.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I am talking about kids that have no loyalty to any team YET. They aren't old enough YET, .. they have not picked their favority team YET.

They aren't changing teams.

They are 'right now' picking their loyalties based on what team they like.

They are drawn to teams that are successful, .. which does not include the Cowboys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am talking about kids that have no loyalty to any team YET. They aren't old enough YET, .. they have not picked their favority team YET.

They are 'right now' picking their loyalties based on what team they like.

They are drawn to teams that are successful, .. which does not include the Cowboys.

By and large most will go with the local team. Back in the 80's it was not uncommon to go to a Cowboys game at Texas stadium and get great seats with many seats empty as soon as the 90's rolled around the cockroaches came out of the dark and claimed the Cowboys are their team. For me I just laugh at them they are not fans they only are there because the team won and again I have 0 respect for those fans. That is just me. who you choose to cheer for I don't care, I have good friends who I know are die hard Houston football fans be it the Oilers or now the Texans they are solid in their support and while I can't stand their team I do respect those fans.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Lots of Aggies in Houston. If they draft him they will have a ton of interest in their season. Statewide & Nationally.

He is one of those players people are interested in. Just wondering if he can make it? Will he be a bomb? Will he rally a team like he did the Aggies?

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
If not he should be... every yr the cowboys dont make the playoffs I find myself rooting for the texans

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Lots of Aggies in Houston. If they draft him they will have a ton of interest in their season. Statewide & Nationally.

He is one of those players people are interested in. Just wondering if he can make it? Will he be a bomb? Will he rally a team like he did the Aggies?

True, Johnny football would excite many Houston fans unless he bombs. When Vince Young entered the draft and Houston had the top pick many here were upset that Young was not selected but now you can't find many who are upset that Houston did not get him. Myself I think Houston takes Bridgewater, they clearly are in big need of QB

rcaldw

Reaction score
I'm starting to see the Texans logo more and more everyday in this state. Do you think Jerry is concerned what will happened to the balance of fandom in the state if the Texans draft Mr. Charisma, Johnny Manziel? Do you think this keeps him up at night? Jerry has already lost so many young fans who do not want to associate themselves with this loser franchise, is he in danger of losing an entire generation if the cult hero from Aggieland goes to the Texans.

This will be interesting for sure. I was living in Houston during the Love ya Blue days. The Oilers were never more popular. Even then, there were LOTS of Cowboys fans. But remember, that those were also the days of Staubach, Dorsett, Pearson, etc.

My honest opinion is that the Cowboys know a different kind of popularity today than they once did. I really think a lot of the nation tunes in to watch the train wreck and the drama. Its a show you can't take your eyes off of, even if you are laughing. I find fewer Cowboys fans in Houston now than ever before.

If Dallas starts winning again (by that I mean divisions, playoff games, etc.), it will shift. But at some point, if the franchise continues to just be the drama queen of the NFL it will change. I would contend that Dallas still knows a great deal of fanbase due to the influence of parents and grandparents. Those people loved Landry, Staubach, and a team that didn't just win, it won with the reputation for "class." You can debate whether that reputation was justified or not, but there is no denying that they had that reputation at the time.

I loved the Cowboys during the 90's too, but the winning then was a bit different. Aikman, and Emmitt and Moose and Novacek, Woody and others spoke of class too. But the team as a whole sort of carried the "one step away from jail" reputation (again, fair or not).

I don't know if Jerry is concerned or not. I would guess not.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I loved the Cowboys during the 90's too, but the winning then was a bit different. Aikman, and Emmitt and Moose and Novacek, Woody and others spoke of class too. But the team as a whole sort of carried the "one step away from jail" reputation (again, fair or not).

When do you think that reputation actually started?

I don't think it was there during the 1st or 2nd Super Bowl years.

I know it was there after "The White House", Irvin and his coke/weed issues, the false rape accusation, etc.

By that time, it was "one step away from jail" reputation that you speak of.

And that rep stuck for a looooooooooong time, .. many people still look at them that way.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score

I know it was there after "The White House", Irvin and his coke/weed issues, the false rape accusation, etc.

By that time, it was "one step away from jail" reputation.

And that rep stuck for a looooooooooong time, .. many people still look at them that way.

True. And the Josh Brent stuff has a "here we go again" ring to it.

Although the NFL league wide seems to be full of felons these days.

rcaldw

Reaction score

By that time, it was "one step away from jail" reputation that you speak of.

I agree with you. I do think that the Jerry and Jimmy combo had the Miami Hurricane feel to it though, even before the "White House" stuff started. But you are spot on, that the "one step away from jail" didn't start until then.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every off season we get this wishful argument that the Cowboys' popularity will decline, or that it has declined and people are just watching to see the 'train wreck' of relevant week 17 football. And every year, every scrap of available polling data suggests they remain as popular as ever and the most popular team in the league by a decent margin. This year is no different.

If "Johnny Football" goes to the Texans, it might help them rank above the Jets or the Cardinals in terms of popularity for a few years. They'll benefit from the Tebow Effect, perhaps. The Cowboys will go right on being the most popular team, and the one that's most widely watched, and won't think twice about whatever is or is not going on down in Houston. Why would they care?