Question for the native Texans on the board

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Questions abound as to whether or not Manziel will actually have what it takes to be as special at the NFL level as he was in college. If so, the Texans will likely increase in popularity but probably not at too much expense to the Cowboys organization. The diehard Dallas fans are now (and will be) hard to dislodge from their team if their steadfast loyalty, despite the Cowboys' mediocrity, is any indication.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Vince Youngs was bigger, National Championship Johnny Football has not got a championship. He throw off his back foot and while all of that is great in the college ranks it does not mean anything in the NFL he has bad habit that will cost him in the NFL, he loves to run the streets at night and party this crap in the NFL will haunt him. He is a college QB not a fricken HOF'er he has proved nothing. Will their be hype sure but hype fades fast if you don't produce and those loving fans will turn on him as quick as any other QB regadless if he went to Texas A&M or any other college.

As for Dallas their only concern is Dallas not what Houston does

I understand what Zordon is trying to say. JFF is fun and exciting to watch, he's a Texas born kid and if he goes to a Texas team and can lead them to a Super Bowl that would be a threat to the Cowboy fan base in the state and because the media loves to cover anything JFF it could be a threat nationally as well. Throw in a player like JJ Watt that is charismatic and a dominating figure on defense, it just adds to the potential. I understand that the Texans have no real history and JFF hasn't done anything yet, but there is that potential for history in the making. I smell a whole lot of "IF" coming off those statements, but it's the off-season and nothing happening at the moment , so all we have to talk about is what-if and speculation.

I was born and bred in Texas and an Aggie and as much as I would like to see JFF do well in the NFL, it wouldn't change my allegiance from the Cowboys. My Cowboys fandom is set in stone, all my family are Cowboys fans and as A kid growing up, I worshiped at the altar of Roger Staubach. Roger didn't always do things the traditional way, he scrambled and ran, he'd throw off the wrong foot, he'd throw jump passes, but he was fun and exciting to watch and you always felt that no matter what he was going to make the impossible happen. As the song goes, my heros have always been Cowboys and there is nothing as powerful as childhood heroes. I am in no way saying that JFF is the next Staubach, that would be borderline blasphemy, but I can see some young kids watching JFF on the field and inspire that same feeling I had about Staubach. Again it's a mighty big "if", but if JFF goes to the Texans and lead them to a Super Bowl, I think you would see a new generation of Texans that grow up being Houston Texans fans instead of Cowboy fans. Again, there's a very slim chance of any of that happening, but that's what we do during the "What If" season until free agency, Draft and OTA's start.

dcstands4

Reaction score
Worrying bout fan perception is the last thing that should bother JJ when building a draft board. Having said that its JJ and I would not but that beneath him.

I still find all the Johnny Football clamoring amusing. I like the kid, loved what he did at A&M. Dallas doesn't need what Manzel brings to the table. What has been the complaint about the Cowboys for years? We don't have roster depth. We don't have the players to do the grunt work. What this team needs is not Johnny Football this teams needs a DT that will blow up the line of scrimmage. This team needs a S that will make a play on the ball. This team needs a LB that can cover the middle of the field or blow up a running play.

I agree but am I alone to think that IF we have that first pick and could get clowney he'd be a bust? But anywhere else he'd be a success?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Yup, and when we're 5-11/6-10 this year, we'll still be the most watched show on television.

Yup it's why Rich Eisen thinks that Cowboys v. Seahawks may open the season if they don't choose to go Seahawks v. 49ers, or v. Broncos. Unlikely, but crazy to think we're the third option lol.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I'd be more than okay with it. It might actually take losing some of the state that has always been Cowboy dominant for him to wake up but there's no chance of the DFW area ever being anything but Cowboys dominant but the rest of the state is up for grabs. The rest of the state has legit another option.

Take away some of the attention from Dallas, we don't need or deserve it. They've been terrible for over a decade and the fact that everyone still talks about Dallas like they are relevant only gives Jerry another reason to do what he wants. Plus the pressure is a big deal for players, if Romo played somewhere else, he would not be so hated and put down all the time.

With that said, I'd love to get Manziel somehow but it's very unlikely, more than ever now and it will only get less and less likely as the draft gets closer. Although the Dallas spotlight plus Johnny Football has some potential downside too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I understand what Zordon is trying to say. JFF is fun and exciting to watch, he's a Texas born kid and if he goes to a Texas team and can lead them to a Super Bowl that would be a threat to the Cowboy fan base in the state and because the media loves to cover anything JFF it could be a threat nationally as well. Throw in a player like JJ Watt that is charismatic and a dominating figure on defense, it just adds to the potential. I understand that the Texans have no real history and JFF hasn't done anything yet, but there is that potential for history in the making. I smell a whole lot of "IF" coming off those statements, but it's the off-season and nothing happening at the moment , so all we have to talk about is what-if and speculation.

I was born and bred in Texas and an Aggie and as much as I would like to see JFF do well in the NFL, it wouldn't change my allegiance from the Cowboys. My Cowboys fandom is set in stone, all my family are Cowboys fans and as A kid growing up, I worshiped at the altar of Roger Staubach. Roger didn't always do things the traditional way, he scrambled and ran, he'd throw off the wrong foot, he'd throw jump passes, but he was fun and exciting to watch and you always felt that no matter what he was going to make the impossible happen. As the song goes, my heros have always been Cowboys and there is nothing as powerful as childhood heroes. I am in no way saying that JFF is the next Staubach, that would be borderline blasphemy, but I can see some young kids watching JFF on the field and inspire that same feeling I had about Staubach. Again it's a mighty big "if", but if JFF goes to the Texans and lead them to a Super Bowl, I think you would see a new generation of Texans that grow up being Houston Texans fans instead of Cowboy fans. Again, there's a very slim chance of any of that happening, but that's what we do during the "What If" season until free agency, Draft and OTA's start.

and that is a big what if. It is just as likely he will be a bust. He can run around in college, he can throw passes late over the middle in college and he can throw passes off his back foot in college but in the NFL that is not going to work. Meantime Houston has a lot of problems they are no closer to a Super Bowl than Dallas.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
At least in this part of Texas, San Antonio/Austin area it is still heavily a Dallas Cowboys first area. Fans may want to see the Texans do well, but they don't follow them as much and aren't nearly as passionate about them as the Cowboys. I think it's going to take more than Johny Football playing for the Texans to make much of a dent into the local Cowboy fanbase and allegiances. Now, if Manziel sets the NFL on fire and can win a Super Bowl with the Texans, then you might start seeing some of that balance shift towards the Texans. Johnny is exciting and fun to watch and if his style and ability can translate to the NFL level and win a Super Bowl, then I easily could see fans become more Texans first, especially with the younger generations. The problem is, there's a whole lot of "if" in there

Love this pic

http://i221.***BLOCKED***/albums/dd249/Roadtrip635/mr88sig_zpsa12d1999.jpg

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I AGREE. And Dallas also needs a QB who doesn't throw picks to lose games. And a coach who has more than three running plays on his spreadsheet.

Very astute analysis and deep too lol. Never mind the worst defense in football.

JackWagon

Reaction score
He wont like it when Bill O'Brien turns that into a winner down there.

theSHOW

Reaction score
You cannot expect to continue to live off of past accomplishments. Mack Brown is no longer the head coach of UT b/c he got too complacent after winning the championship in 2006. For years, I would hear "We're Texas", "we'll be fine", "we'll always be the flagship university of the state", "A&M will always be our little brother". Well too many years with that thinking finally caught up to us. Now the Aggies run the state recruiting wise, they have donations going thru the roof, and have completely reinvented their entire athletic department. My point is, yeah right now the Cowboys are still the most popular team in the state but if we keep having this cocky attitude that nothing will change no matter what and continue to try to live off the 70s/90s, then we're going to get bitten in the *** just like UT did by trying to live off of VY forever. The Texans w/ JFF is a threat to Jerry's empire. We are in danger of seeing a monumental shift similar to what we've seen with UT/A&M if things don't change around here soon.

I m happy to see somebody support what I have posted recently about how A&m now is recruiting like a national powerhouse tx, usc, oh st, ala, ten type) So Johnny FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF has had a decent offensive line afterall. Looks like I am correct again.

Now about Johnny football. Dallas has a Qb for the next 2-4 years in Romo. Don't need to go there when we have holes in our defense that encourage opposing teams to get excited.

Now about manzieil going to Houston. yes they will steal some fans from the south east texas including college station. and I could care less. I am remaining a fan of this team

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
He'd be a huge hit in Houston before they even hit training camp.

I'm anxious to see what the Texans do with that pick. I think they'll go Johnny.

theSHOW

Reaction score
He'd be a huge hit in Houston before they even hit training camp.

I'm anxious to see what the Texans do with that pick. I think they'll go Johnny.

If Hou goes Johnny Jerry will go M Sam. "keepin the media here lol"

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The Texans are no where close to being the Seattle Seahawks.

I would go into how their roster is one of the most overrated in football but last season proves my point for me. J.J. Watt is a monster but one player doesn't make a team. They've got a ways to go.

Other than JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, and Foster (when healthy)............the rest of the team pretty much sucks..............that's kinda why they lost 14 consecutive games.

Seattle' scout team would beat the Texans 8 out of 10 times, that is how big a difference in rosters we are talking about.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Other than JJ Watt, Andre Johnson, and Foster (when healthy)............the rest of the team pretty much sucks..............that's kinda why they lost 14 consecutive games.

Seattle' scout team would beat the Texans 8 out of 10 times, that is how big a difference in rosters we are talking about.

As much as people want to complain about Romo......take him away from Dallas(replace with Schaub et al.) and we would be no better than the Texans.

If they get their QB and plug a couple/few holes in the secondary, they should see a quick turnaround. They could use an offensive lineman or two but the difference between them(2-14) and us(8-8) is minimal as a team.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
As much as people want to complain about Romo......take him away from Dallas(replace with Schaub et al.) and we would be no better than the Texans.

If they get their QB and plug a couple/few holes in the secondary, they should see a quick turnaround. They could use an offensive lineman or two but the difference between them(2-14) and us(8-8) is minimal as a team.

I agree that Romo is the only thing keeping this thing afloat right now...............we win 5 games max without Romo

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure they played last year & Seattle barely beat them. Overtime maybe. They'll have an interesting year. New coach & all.

JackWagon

Reaction score
If Jerry wants the media here ... all he has to do is trade up for Johnny Football.

mcleod55

Reaction score
If Johnny Football goes to Houston, Dallas will lose a few fans. It will only be the "bandwagon" fans that make the switch...SO...No great loss at all.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really?

I see a lot of Cowboys fans in Houston so I think you're trying to stir an empty pot sir.

Cowboys haven't won a thing in almost 20 years yet they're more valuable and as popular as ever.

Thanks, for saying this, was about to respond, but glad I read further.

Even though I live in the DFW area. Half way between. I know of two Texans fan here, and they are from Houston. And are also Astros and Rockets fans.
I do not see or hear anything else Texans. I know more Steeler and Giants fans here than Texans fans.
A third friend, used to work with, he is a Texans fan too, lives there still.

All three tell me they do not like the Cowboys because there is still a large presence of Cowboys fans in Houston. And there are still many fans there haven't completely embraced the Texans because of the Oilers leaving. One decided whoever won the first meeting between them, whoever one, he would be a fan of that team. But I can't understand his hatred toward the Cowboys because of that.

Surrounding areas, even like San Antonio, that will always be Cowboys area. Yes, if Manziel is drafted by Houston, I'm sure that some fans will jump ship temporarily. But most will like to see them do good because they are a Manziel fan but will always still be Cowboys first.