Question For The Old-Timers

Number1

Reaction score
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...

https://www.reference.com/sports-ac...ut-his-finger-off-before-game-5c4f0aab43d1329

Blake

Reaction score
I love it!!! Rules change all the time, if the players can adjust why can't the fans? I played and coached for 40 years, rules changed, we adapted. No big deal.

Spoken like a coach, or someone who's been around the game a lot. Larry Bird echoed similar sentiments about his sport in an interview Bill Simmons had with him. Was kind of shocking to hear a legendary player from the 80s praising the current state of basketball.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
love the game still always will

Honestly with an owner like jerry i hated the salary cap when they put that in ---- Jerry would always grab a big name and spend the money !

So my vote goes to the cap hate it

GenoT

Reaction score
I know things evolve. If I were to change anything in today's game. I would eliminate the coaches challenge and video review. The game is so much faster without it.
I mostly agree.

While it’s cool when replay corrects an obvious error (even if it goes against the Boys), the indeterminable delay while they split hairs over a call that NO ONE coulda seen a difference in real time is mind numbing.

CB61

Reaction score
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...
Personally I think the game has gotten a little more exciting it's a soul free agency thing is going to ruin football I remember when the Dallas Cowboys had only two players from other teams on it can you name them? That they acquired from free agency one was Plan B I believe that was John Dutton the other one was Preston Pearson how's that for a memory quitting drinking does the mind wonders???

MistyAnn

Reaction score
I have no doubt we have a fightback in the second half, if we don't it is one lame game too many already this year. I'm pretty patient.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Personally I think the game has gotten a little more exciting it's a soul free agency thing is going to ruin football I remember when the Dallas Cowboys had only two players from other teams on it can you name them? That they acquired from free agency one was Plan B I believe that was John Dutton the other one was Preston Pearson how's that for a memory quitting drinking does the mind wonders???

Yep - you are correct! Dutton came over from the Baltimore Colts. Don't recall where number 26 (Pearson) came from - but I know he was the FIRST free agent signed.

Ain't It GRAND getting OLD!

IceBowler

Reaction score
It has matured and gotten safer. that's the positive.

negatives:

1. Gone are the true grudge games play with serious and intense emotion. (These are what made the sport)

2. Gone are the men that use to played them with every fiber of their being. (With much less caution for their well being)

3. Gone are the mental thoughts of actually hurting someone on purpose (Maybe not all together but, it's much less common place)

4. Gone are the times when thoughts of playing for another team made you sick. ( Most would rather retire)

5. Gone are the times when our players were larger than life and could get away with anything. ( Some were truly above the law)

6. Gone are the times when you would rather get in your fathers face than your coach.

7. Gone are the times when you were promised nothing.

8. Gone are the time when you could actually hit a quarter back...…:lmao2::laugh:

9. Gone are the times when playing football was not ALL about the money. (It has always been, my point is the pride and fame factor)

Finally: Gone are times when Fantasy Football Would be a waste of time because fans could not bring themselves to pull for other teams players.

I will leave you with this and I am asking the old timers as well. Can you imagine after a game in Irvin Texas, Joe Jacoby and Harvey Martin exchanging jerseys and pics?

What a GREAT POST!

How bout Nitchke in a Bears Jersey or Butkis in a Packer shirt?
Hell would freeze over first!

Keithfansince5

Reaction score

The 1970's were the golden years in the NFL IMHO. After that it slowly started to change. Today the game is a joke in comparison.

IceBowler

Reaction score
remember Roger Staubach not shaking hands with Commanders after the game.
he said..."why should I shake their hand when we gotta play'em again".

"I think they ought to just go ahead and put skirts on 'em."
Jack Lambert, when asked what he thought about the new "QB in the grasp rule."

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
I guess I'm a old timer (fan since the 70's) and I miss when our Cowboys we're the most exiting team in the NFL....the shotgun...doomsday....today's Cowboys team no matter what success it may have now or in the future is boring being without what made our Cowboys America's team.....the long passing game is gone....the trick plays are gone...the great coaching..we no longer have a 88 out there....we no longer have a QB who you have confidence will bring you back and win it in the final seconds....we are a Boring and anemic offense and 1 long (Last week) TD pass in 10 games pretty much says it all for our Cowboys of today.....if this continues our status as America's team will be tested as the fan base will phase out as we no longer have the fundamentals that made our team America's team......This is what happens when a oil man decides to play GM of a football team....shame ......
Well said.

IceBowler

Reaction score
I do not have an issue with rule changes and protecting players. The issues I have is that the rules are NEVER enforced fairly. This is not a "the Cowboys don't get the calls" post. I see this several times a week where the refs go overboard protecting people like Rodgers while Cousins is taking shots below the knees with no call. Couple that with the fact that the NFL still does not know what a catch is. I find the current NFL extremely frustrating in that manner. And I absolutely HATE HATE HATE the political crap. If the NFL went away tomorrow, I'd survive on college football with no problem at all...

:hammer: They don't call it the, "Brady Rule" for nothing ...

GMO415

Reaction score
The NFL has become a microcosm of our society. In time's past the NFL athlete had always been thought of elite, as special . Today's mellinial isnti much different. They too consider themselves special to the point that they don't have to earn anything. Others should recognize them as elite.

This is a generation of "out for self". Team is a foroegn concept.

IceBowler

Reaction score
I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you for your responses. Many of these were well thought out and sincere. There are many fantastic posts and this was exactly the type of intelligent discussion I was hoping for!

Thank you again!

Go Cowboys!!
It's a flaw in my character.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Suspending players for "Alleged" conduct off the field, that can't even be substantiated also has taken away from the game. Like Elliot. What a bad deal that was last year. I've dated crazy before, I've been accused of things false by a bat **** crazy woman and until you experience it, you don't get it. I'm all for keeping the league clean, but it has to be a balance. There has to be credible reason to suspend players and if you suspend them, apply the damn suspensions equally.

Brax

Reaction score

The game has been slowly ruined for the $$$$ payoff, the game (of the 60's 70's 80's and 90's) was much more enjoyable to watch, and the games were fair to both offense and defense, rules that were not geared to put defenses at a disadvantage. I would rather watch old time football than this new crap they are trying to pass off as football, I have no problem with safety rules ( no leading with helmet) , but it has turned into a farce at this point. Sacks that are called roughing, hits on receivers ( not head shots) QB's throw away pass's to prevent sacks (have no problem with slide rule) at some point they need to get back to football, Todays game is just putrid to what it use to be.

khiladi

Reaction score
Watching the fans in RFK was amazing.. stadiums are now built for the digital experience, where there are probably are more shots of the owner boxes than the fans rocking the stands...