Question For The Old-Timers

Manster68

Reaction score
My a
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...
My answer:
Since the late 90s, I've called this the Panzy era for a reason.

I have much more respect for Aikman and Steve Young than Brady, Brees, & either of the Manning's.

Titleist

Reaction score
I suppose I qualify an "old-timer"... I don't like disclosing my age but I've been following the Cowboys since the early 60s and I had kids back then, so that will give you an idea. Anyhow, by far the biggest difference for me has been the expansion of media coverage. You can get in-depth analysis of pretty much any game, player, or college prospect nowadays.

I distinctly remember back in '69 reading about the NFL draft in the newspaper the following day (it wasn't televised back then). I saw that we drafted this Calvin Hill guy out of Yale. I was so pissed. What kind of GM wastes a first round pick on an Ivy League player? Of course the rest is history but back then we had no idea about a lot of these college players. Now they are literally dissected.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have no interest in the NFL whatsoever anymore except of course our Cowboys. It's become a league full of cry babies who could care less about the fans and instead want more and more money. Goodell has literally turned it into a three ring circus by having no restrictions. It's not even football anymore.

-College Football is exactly that....FOOTBALL.
I love pro football. Best of the best. Men playing football, not a bunch of little boys. I follow a college and HS, but for me, the NFL is where the real games are. Just my opinion

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...
I think free agency is one of the worst things in sport

I agree sir.
Been a fan of the Cowboys since the age of 8 in 1975.

I miss everything about the 70's and early 80's.Great time to be alive...Great movies,vehicles , music,long haired beautiful women,etc,etc.

And a damn sure constant was the Cowboys were a very competitive team during those years.Around the late 80's music ,movies and such started to fade just like The Cowboys.

Then the early to late nineties came around and the music,movies and cowboys started to kick *** again.

I think we all know what is wrong with football the last several years.

Rule changes
Officiating
Pat Summerall no longer alive
Agendas
Commercials
Joe Buck
Twitter
Worst commissioner in all of sports
Dean Blandino
Free agency

I still enjoy watching Football because it is easily the best sport to watch.
It is indeed getting harder to watch though..One thing that helps me get through is the dvr so i can pause for about 20 minutes and the watch uninterrupted football for about a half. just have to be careful to not accidentally hit the live tv button..

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I’m 66yo and have been a Cowboys fan since year one (1960 / 8yo). It’s really been an evolution, with too many slowly-changing variables to really pick out too many that can be directly compared.

Off the top of my head...

In the ‘60s, with the exception of a handful of stars, the players made a comparable-to-today pittance and virtually all of them had summer jobs. Very few ever had guaranteed contracts or agents and most played simply for the love of the game. And, since there was very little media coverage, as compared to today, for us younger fans, the players were almost mythical in what we viewed as their heroics. Nowadays, if a player wakes up on the wrong side of bed, it’s 24/7 news, via social media, with every “expert” in the world weighing in its importance, relative to that player’s perceived status.

Back then, O-lineman rarely got over 240-260lbs, with 300 pounders being considered freaks. D-lineman had wildly disparate sizes, with many LBs weighing 210, but certain DTs pushing 290-300lbs. QBs called their own games for the most part and virtually all teams had coaching staffs that numbered in single digits. The one thing that I miss is that, with much less player movement, the teams would often keep their cores together for 8-10yrs or more.

I actually prefer today’s game because, while not necessarily being better football players per se, the guys playing now are more often on the cutting-edge of athletic ability (even some of the 300lb+ guys) and the advancement in film and video studies, coupled with large, specialized coaching staffs, have honed the difference between winning and losing to a razor-thin line.

I could easily write a short novel about my interpretation of the evolution of pro football, but these are just a tiny handful of particular and general observances from almost 60yrs of watching the game.

IMHO, this game has always been great!

Call us the Don Perkins Club, sir.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Lost the passion around 1998. I got it back a bit when Parcels was hired, but that slipped away when Jerry hired carrot top. Pretty much stopped caring about results after Garrett was able to keep his job after 3 straight 8-8 seasons. These days, because Garrett is still there, I rarely catch a game whether I'm working or not. I haven't seen either of the first 2 games and it doesn't bother me whatsoever.

Jerry, get rid of Garrett so I can enjoy football again.

Yes, I know this about the product on the field. To be frank, I like the college game more these days.

So it's safe to say you're no longer a Cowboys fan. Anyone that doesn't watch the games and doesn't bother them that they missed them is not a fan. So my next question is why do you bother spending time on a Cowboys site discussing a team you no longer care about?

cowboyec

Reaction score
I miss the old days...when there wasn't free agency and you knew who would be there.
I miss Coach Landry's Cowboys.
not gonna lie...miss Jimmy's boys too.
I am excited about this young group...pullin like hell for them to win one.
But yes...I miss the NFL of the 70s,80s and 90s...before free-agency.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think free agency is one of the worst things in sport

I agree sir.
Been a fan of the Cowboys since the age of 8 in 1975.

I miss everything about the 70's and early 80's.Great time to be alive...Great movies,vehicles , music,long haired beautiful women,etc,etc.

And a damn sure constant was the Cowboys were a very competitive team during those years.Around the late 80's music ,movies and such started to fade just like The Cowboys.

Then the early to late nineties came around and the music,movies and cowboys started to kick *** again.

I think we all know what is wrong with football the last several years.

Rule changes
Officiating
Pat Summerall no longer alive
Agendas
Commercials
Joe Buck
Twitter
Worst commissioner in all of sports
Dean Blandino
Free agency

I still enjoy watching Football because it is easily the best sport to watch.
It is indeed getting harder to watch though..One thing that helps me get through is the dvr so i can pause for about 20 minutes and the watch uninterrupted football for about a half. just have to be careful to not accidentally hit the live tv button..
Gotta move on.....enjoy it.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
sport now is nothing but an orchestrated reality show like the rest of the entertainment industry.
I watch and enjoy when I have free time without taking it seriously.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Everything evolves. That's nature. I never thought I would be typing on a message board back in the day talking about football all day everyday but I am. The game has changed but it's still the same game I grew up loving. It's the greatest game in the world!
Since you didn't have a clue what a message board was back then, you get a game day pass.

I agree, it has changed and we all have, but I think the spirit of the game is still the same.

Eanwen

Reaction score
You are just going through a phase. Eventually, when they lose, you will just chuckle softly to yourself. Then get angry or depressed later.

LOL.

Just to clarify I haven't experienced highs/lows like that since the 90s. I also no longer hate any team (although I really only hated the Commanders; living in CA it always amused me the number of 49er fans who tried to make me care enough about their team to hate them).

Maxmadden

Reaction score
sport now is nothing but an orchestrated reality show like the rest of the entertainment industry.
I watch and enjoy when I have free time without taking it seriously.
But then you turn around and waste your free time on a message board as if this is somehow closer to reality?

Just curious how that works?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I’ve been watching the game since 63 and enjoy it just as much now as back then. The game evolves with time so that doesn’t bother me. It’s still football and it’s still the Cowboys.

Chrispierce

Reaction score

I don’t enjoy the NFL nearly as much in this era,as I once did. Some things are better,like camera angles and I can get instant access to stats and team information on my smartphone,but to me the game has become less than it used to be. I mean I look at the Browns game last night and I’m going...”What moron allowed those uniforms and end zone schemes in the league?” I don’t want games spread all out through the week,in some odd schedule format,and double Sunday Night games and such. Bring back my MNF and do away with Thursday too. And having to go over CAPS,FA,contracts,injuries,arrests,and suspensions more than the game itself it seems,isn’t what attracted me to this sport as a kid in the first place!! They’ve polluted the water and turned it into an elitist corporate game. Everyone has to have a shiny clean stadium,sponsored by company giants,and propping up players in drafts as if they’re the second coming of the messiah. There’s no “teams” anymore,just a few franchise players and small windows to take your shot at doing something. I also don’t like teams moving around so much. Screw the Titans and Texans....give me the Oilers and the house of pain anyday. In a few years at this rate,I’ll be viewing...”Up next on Wednesday Night Football,”The Las Vegas Raiders vs The LA Chargers” followed shortly by the much anticipated rematch of last years NFC championship classic “The Idaho Potatoes vs The Hawaii Punch”.