Question for the workout people

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It's not a stretch to think that a professional athlete can gain 10-15 pounds of bulk in the off-season. Notice I said bulk, not muscle. He isn't an endurance athlete, so gaining some fat isn't going to hurt.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jobberone I think the fats gives me a little trouble. Tummy rumbles a lot and sometimes to the Toilet.
THey have told me when getting Gallbladder out eat lean meats and Chicken and Turkey much better than Beef.

Not everyone does that but unfortunately some do. You've learned to stay away from fat or eat then pay for it. Sry but while little fat sucks for taste its better for you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you know anyone who that has happened to?
I certainly haven't.

Some men's bodies converts testosterone supplementation into a high percentage of estrogen. If that happens you will need a bra.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Some men's bodies converts testosterone supplementation into a high percentage of estrogen. If that happens you will need a bra.

His name was Robert Paulson
maxresdefault.jpg

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Creatine also damages your liver.

I respectfully have to disagree with this. In fact, I'm surprised you would say something like this because the evidence not only refutes this statement, it is quite the opposite.

I am not a doctor, however as someone who has been in the gym for over 25 years and researched several supplements carefully, the consensus on creatine from virtually every source I've ever read is that it is safe and according to Web MD is the most researched supplement on the market.

The only limitations I have ever seen put on it are listed below which was written by doctors at the Mayo Clinic with sources too long to post however, it anybody asks I will.

Caution with everything and obviously use moderation in anything - but to say creatine is unsafe and damages your liver is simply wrong.

This is from the Mayo Clinic...

THE BOTTOM LINE
Looking at the current body of research, it's safe to say:
  1. Creatine does not cause damage to skeletal muscle or the heart, liver, or kidneys.
  2. Creatine, at this moment in time, seems to be fine for kidney disorders that are not characterized by edema and tissue swelling.
  3. Based on limited research, it is probably wise to avoid creatine supplementation if you have polycystic kidney disease, focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, or another kidney disorder characterized by tissue swelling.
Creatine is one of the most commonly viewed topics on our website, Examine.com. We've pored over the research, and we see no reason to fear creatine (more creatine myths debunked). Modern athletes treat it like a vitamin, and with good reason: It's safe, healthy, cheap, and for most people, it simply works. Get some creatine monohydrate, take 5 g per day, and you're good to go. If only all nutrition was that simple!

Side Effects and Warnings
Creatine is likely safe when used long-term.

Creatine may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in people with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Blood glucose levels may need to be monitored by a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/creatine/safety/hrb-20059125

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I respectfully have to disagree with this. In fact, I'm surprised you would say something like this because the evidence not only refutes this statement, it is quite the opposite.

I am not a doctor, however as someone who has been in the gym for over 25 years and researched several supplements carefully, the consensus on creatine from virtually every source I've ever read is that it is safe and according to Web MD is the most researched supplement on the market.

The only limitations I have ever seen put on it are listed below which was written by doctors at the Mayo Clinic with sources too long to post however, it anybody asks I will.

Caution with everything and obviously use moderation in anything - but to say creatine is unsafe and damages your liver is simply wrong.

THE BOTTOM LINE
  1. Creatine does not cause damage to skeletal muscle or the heart, liver, or kidneys.
  2. Creatine, at this moment in time, seems to be fine for kidney disorders that are not characterized by edema and tissue swelling.
  3. Based on limited research, it is probably wise to avoid creatine supplementation if you have polycystic kidney disease, focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, or another kidney disorder characterized by tissue swelling.
Creatine is one of the most commonly viewed topics on our website, Examine.com. We've pored over the research, and we see no reason to fear creatine (more creatine myths debunked). Modern athletes treat it like a vitamin, and with good reason: It's safe, healthy, cheap, and for most people, it simply works. Get some creatine monohydrate, take 5 g per day, and you're good to go. If only all nutrition was that simple!

Creatine may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in people with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Blood glucose levels may need to be monitored by a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

It is able to damage the liver and the article states such in the form of elevated liver enzymes.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

THE BOTTOM LINE

I have patients with liver disease who have no other discernible etiology besides their histories of creatine use in power lifting. Kidney disease has also been shown, including acute tubular necrosis and chronic glomerulonephritis.

As one poster stated earlier, a daily low dose is not likely to cause pathology, but the levels achieved by that are also not likely to be significantly higher than the body's own physiologic production. If the levels used by lifters (30 - 50mg once or twice daily) are sustained for 2-5 years or more, the likelihood of consequences is high. It may take 20 - 30 years before the pathology starts to become apparent, and at this point there is lack of clarity on the additive effects of other agents that have been used concurrently.

The message is simply that there is evidence of damage with creatine and other such substances, and insufficient time has passed to conclude that there is any safe level above physiologic. It took several generations before tobacco was found to be so significantly destructive. Vitamins were thought to be key additives to the diet for more than 50 years, but have now been found to be deleterious when taken in excess.

I don't have any disrespect for anyone's opinions on this issue of health and nutrition, but my daily involvement, liability, and recommendations can not include advice that has shown any increased risk.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I have patients with liver disease who have no other discernible etiology besides their histories of creatine use in power lifting. Kidney disease has also been shown, including acute tubular necrosis and chronic glomerulonephritis.

Isn't that the definition of causation vs. correlation? At best, that is anecdotal.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Isn't that the definition of causation vs. correlation? At best, that is anecdotal.

My own patient encounters are anecdotal with excellent correlation - the findings of acute and chronic pathology in many young and otherwise healthy adults who test positive for such substances and demonstrate consistent pathologic findings across a broad population constitute a reproducible syndrome, at least.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Almost anything taken in high amounts or doses over time can be harmful. Not everything but you catch my drift.

I know most produces of creatine suggest doing a loading phase where they instruct trainers to take upwards of 20 grams of creatine a day for a week or more when they first start using it and then taper down to 5 grams a day. That is just a marketing myth and a load of crap to be honest.

I'm not a doctor but I do know that taking 5 grams a day has really helped my training in many ways since I started taking creatine. Will 5 grams a day affect me 30 years down the road? Who knows. I wouldn't bet on it though since it is such a small amount. Who knows how much extreme power lifters take a day. I would venture to guess that it's a hell of alot more than 5 grams a day which is probably why they are having liver problems years later.

coult44

Reaction score
Wake up folks of you don't think most of these guys use PED's. From the top HS programs, followed by almost all colleges, and defiantly in the pros, PED's are a way of life for these guys...

You not wanting to know or admit the truth, is like MLB trying to say they didn't know and push them on the players in 80's and 90's...

T-RO

Reaction score
I suspect if Gregory could add 5 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat...it would be for the best. He's almost too lean...BMI too fatless. Once the season starts he's going to be scrambling to keep whatever weight he's got.

And a little fat could help with leverage, protection.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
My own patient encounters are anecdotal with excellent correlation - the findings of acute and chronic pathology in many young and otherwise healthy adults who test positive for such substances and demonstrate consistent pathologic findings across a broad population constitute a reproducible syndrome, at least.

Would taking creatine make a blood test look like you had kidney failure or is that different?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zero percent chance of that happening.

I'm not joking.

A really good Doctor will check your Estrogen levels to verify that there is not an issue.

I doubt if those "T" clinics check it, but I don't really know.