Question regarding Rico

windjc

Reaction score
How is Rico still in concussion protocol? If that is actually true he would have to have brain damage by now. I saw the hit in person. He was knocked out, but thats a long time to be in protocol.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
How is Rico still in concussion protocol? If that is actually true he would have to have brain damage by now. I saw the hit in person. He was knocked out, but thats a long time to be in protocol.
I'm thinking (is that an IMO qualifier?o_O) the Team is being extra cautious with bringing him back and
along knowing the long-term value this guy has to offer, after seeing the bell ringing fest Denver dropped on Cam Newton in game#1 last year and how it physically impaired his play for the whole year?
I'd not want to see secret weapon RICO suffer another hit in a rapid fashion, you saw first hand the hit he took in practice was enough to flip the light switch off briefly, that's certainly something not to be taken lightly considering the great things and high expectations we have for him,, er,,,IMOo_O
( although, from my hard headed experience, getting your bell rung can linger a couple years or longer,as getting hit in the head again, always
HURT WORSE and pissed me off to,,well,, I'll just call it the "scary level"and leave it at that)

Last edited:

Cumart21

Reaction score

You're in concussion protocol until you no longer show symptoms of a concussion. It's not about a certain length of time but about the symptoms.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Being designated to return doesn't happen when put on IR. They have 8 weeks to make that decision so if he's not one of the two most important players to get back on the active roster at the end of 8 weeks, he can stay on the IR.
Which is my exact point.

Verdict

Reaction score
It would be 8 games or they could leave him on longer.

If they had put him on IR yesterday (cut day) then he could not return but he would not have counted against the 53 man roster.

They can bring back two players from IR and they don't have to designate which ones up front.

Very good post. The "designated to return" idea seems hard to kill on this board.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
You no longer are required to designate players as IR to return. They just go on IR and you can have up to 2 players return to the 53 from IR per season.

So-- if they put Rico on IR tomorrow they do not have to decide to bring him back or not yet.

In fact-- this designation feels like a "stash" move to me--a way to keep him on the roster another year for development and protecting him from being plucked by another team.

Agreed regarding the smash move. Next year Witten retires, and Gathers emerges to take his place. IMO

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
That he is still not IRed gives me hope that we have seen the last of Noodles.

vlcsnap-66119.png

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
No, you said they would be wasting a designation to return from IR if it was used on Rico, however that is something we don't know as a factual statement right now,
Unless one of the top 3 tight ends went down there's no reason to use it. You can't have 4 tight ends active on gameday. Doesn't that sound like a waste of the designation? Now if it's week 12 and there isn't anyone else to use the designation on then by all means use it on Rico.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Unless one of the top 3 tight ends went down there's no reason to use it. You can't have 4 tight ends active on gameday. Doesn't that sound like a waste of the designation? Now if it's week 12 and there isn't anyone else to use the designation on then by all means use it on Rico.
You make a great argument against yourself. Can't use the designation on Rico week 12 unless he has been on IR at least 8 weeks prior to that time. That means he would have to be on IR by week 4 anyway. Plus as you say, you can't have 4 tight ends active on gameday so most likely he wouldn't be one of the 46 active this early part of the season anyway so he may as we'll be on IR until needed. Our TE's (not named Witten) tend to not play the whole season so I definitely see him getting an opportunity later in the season.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
You make a great argument against yourself. Can't use the designation on Rico week 12 unless he has been on IR at least 8 weeks prior to that time. That means he would have to be on IR by week 4 anyway. Plus as you say, you can't have 4 tight ends active on gameday so most likely he wouldn't be one of the 46 active this early part of the season anyway so he may as we'll be on IR until needed. Our TE's (not named Witten) tend to not play the whole season so I definitely see him getting an opportunity later in the season.
Glad you came around to my side.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Agreed regarding the smash move. Next year Witten retires, and Gathers emerges to take his place. IMO

Would be awesome if he blossomed the second half of this year and his blocking could improve enough that we could trade Hanna or Swaim next offseason.

As far as Witten? The guy looks great and is great shape for the season... definitely getting up there but I could see him playing next year as well

Zman5

Reaction score
The Cowboys are trying to buy time. Not only for Rico but guys like Noah Brown, Rush and other bottom of the roster guys. Because Rico missed practice/playing time last three weeks, they probably don't feel he's ready. By putting him on IR, we get to keep him while we also get to keep an extra guy we want to evaluate further.

Maybe after 8 weeks, the Cowboys will feel comfortable enough with Noah Brown and Cooper Rush to cut Moore outright and bring Rico back.