Quick Trey Lance Breakdown

plasticman

Reaction score
Prior to his 3rd INT with five and a half minutes left in the game, Trey Lance was 25 of 37 for 236 yards, one TD, 2 INT's. He had also ran for 90 yards and a TD.

If Trey had been taken out of this preseason game at that point and replaced by a "last team", no-chance, soon-to-be-cut QB (like every other position), it would be a whole different story.

Speaking of which, how many QB's this preseason played every offensive down of an entire game? How many were as active in the running game?

Whether it was due to indecision or a practice squad O-line, Trey was forced to be very active. Did fatigue have something to do with Trey's performance at the end of the 4th quarter?

Up to the point of that 3rd INT, Trey's performance wasn't spectacular, but it was an improvement over the previous two in terms of pass distribution and dynamic running threat.

My timeline for Trey has always been the 2025 season. I figured, if they gave Tony Romo over three full seasons before his first NFL pass attempt then Lance would be given two.

Speaking of Tony Romo, it may have already been mentioned somewhere that he once threw 5 INT's in a single game. He was still the starter the following week.

Did Lance do enough to earn 2nd team? No.

Did he do enough to earn another season? I would say yes. However, I think there are contract dynamics at play.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I am at 4:37 left in the 4th quarter. Lance has thrown two picks. He dropped a dime that should have given the Cowboys the lead. At this point every player Lance is playing with will be working 9-5 come Tuesday. This was actually his best game of the preseason.
Your evaluation appears to be on par with GM Jethro.

KB1122

Reaction score
He definitely needs to learn the Par ells axiom about sometimes throwing it away is the best play.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No just telling you what I see. A talented kid that needs reps. Unlike you I don’t have an agenda against a player.
Everyone knows he needs reps. How is he going to get them is the issue? He is severely behind. Does he have potential yes. Is he going to win a starting job? Absolutely not. Is 3 preseason games a year going to get him the experience he needs? I don't believe it is. Is sitting and watching on the bench going to help him get the experience he needs? I don't believe it will.

So what is the solution? Someone has to give him the starting job by default to let him try and develop. There is no other option. What team is going to do that?

That team should not be a playoff contending team. It should be a crappy team that has nothing to lose. This is the reason the trade was an abomination to begin with.

Retro88

Reaction score
I'd like to have him back next year if he's willing to take a contract similar to Rush

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Everyone knows he needs reps. How is he going to get them is the issue? He is severely behind. Does he have potential yes. Is he going to win a starting job? Absolutely not. Is 3 preseason games a year going to get him the experience he needs? I don't believe it is. Is sitting and watching on the bench going to help him get the experience he needs? I don't believe it will.

So what is the solution? Someone has to give him the starting job by default to let him try and develop. There is no other option. What team is going to do that?

That team should not be a playoff contending team. It should be a crappy team that has nothing to lose. This is the reason the trade was an abomination to begin with.
He is screwed. His only chance is to sign a cheap two year extension with the Cowboys and let the team develop him. Dak will get an extension so just sit and learn. I didn’t realize how limited snaps are in practice nowadays. The starter has to take most of the snaps because there just is not enough snaps to go around.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He is screwed. His only chance is to sign a cheap two year extension with the Cowboys and let the team develop him. Dak will get an extension so just sit and learn. I didn’t realize how limited snaps are in practice nowadays. The starter has to take most of the snaps because there just is not enough snaps to go around.
That is exactly why he can't sit and learn. He needs playing time to develop.

If had played 4 years in college, he could sit and learn because he would have had game experience.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Very similar problems we have had with Dak the last several years which is why many including I are so critical of MM. The issues wit Dak have been obvious, the issue with Lance is obvious so why can't our HC/OC fix them? I am so jealous of the number of teams whose coaches are so dialled in that they can take a player and turn them into gold..who is the last coach we can say did that?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
The conundrum is this.

Starter gets all the first team snaps during the season.

The backup runs the scout team and gets all of the snaps so he can keep his arm and instincts sharp.

A third holds the water bottle and buys doughnuts for the QB meetings. Other than quality time at Dunkin Donuts there isn't much left for Lance in a 3 qb room.

Getting the assignment of #2 gets you the scout team snaps with the defence. Those are so important for anyone keeping their game and development going.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That is exactly why he can't sit and learn. He needs playing time to develop.

If had played 4 years in college, he could sit and learn because he would have had game experience.
:hammer:Lance should have transferred to higher profile school instead of basically sitting out the year. Quarterbacks need reps. Watch how well Jaylen Daniels and Bo Nix play this season because of their college reps. Those kids played the equivalent of 5 seasons of college ball.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The conundrum is this.

Starter gets all the first team snaps during the season.

The backup runs the scout team and gets all of the snaps so he can keep his arm and instincts sharp.

A third holds the water bottle and buys doughnuts for the QB meetings. Other than quality time at Dunkin Donuts there isn't much left for Lance in a 3 qb room.

Getting the assignment of #2 gets you the scout team snaps with the defence. Those are so important for anyone keeping their game and development going.
Believe Lance will get the scout team reps for the Browns, Ravens, Giants, Steelers and Eagles.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
He can't read a defense and make quick decisions with the ball. That's why he got bounced out of SF. Shanihan viewed him as a lost cause. Lots of guys have physical talent, but playing QB in the NFL is more than just athletic ability.
Yup that's why Brock is soo good in their system. They have weapons and their system guys are open and he is more often then not making the right play.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
:hammer:Lance should have transferred to higher profile school instead of basically sitting out the year. Quarterbacks need reps. Watch how well Jaylen Daniels and Bo Nix play this season because of their college reps. Those kids played the equivalent of 5 seasons of college ball.
Facts but what is crazy is Trey Lance and Jayden Daniels are around the same age. After Lance has been in the NFL for like 3 years. But he has been hurt a lot also I believe. If Dak isn't resigned and we start to suck at the beginning of the season, like 2-7, I would be fine with riding the season out with Trey Lance starting and letting Dak walk at the end of the season. Let Trey get some burn with the 1st string guys.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Believe Lance will get the scout team reps for the Browns, Ravens, Giants, Steelers and Eagles.
More than likely most of the planned RPO plays. Rush will get the pocket pass plays, and handoffs to practice meshing and keep his arm sharp with those teams scouting plans.

Rush will also get the dribs and drabs of first team snaps when Dak is resting his arm or off to the side discussing things with MM. They should be getting him a few snaps just to keep Cooper up with the basics of the gameplan.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
watch the first drive and Lance was impressive and throwing dimes, looked like Aikman out there with his ball placement. Then the whole thing fell apart, so who is Trey Lance? That is the question.
Another Aikman. A blind man can see it. Cowboys have it made.