Quincy Carter story Monday on NFL Network

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
silverbear;1493131 said:
No, it's not... it is quite central to my problems with the guy...

Anybody his age who carries a gun and is not in law enforcement does so because he makes a habit of going to some pretty unsavory places, where some pretty unsavory people hang out... and I'm leery of investing large sums of money in people who do such things...

I saw the video, and stand by the characterization... repeatedly stomping on somebody laying on the ground is gutless, the actions of an animal...

Knock the offender on his butt, sure... if he tries to get up, knock him down again... but you don't go stomping on him when he's on the ground...

Combine the two sordid little episodes, and I wanted no part of him... one such incident by itself could be dismissed as an aberration, but two such incidents starts to reveal a pattern of somewhat sociopathic behavior... with the new commissioner running around suspending any player who runs afoul of the law, it's stupid to invest a first round pick on such a player...

Im sorry but this is just silly. Quote frankly its age discrimination. I suppose that if he was 5 years older that it would be okay for him to carry a gun? That is worse than saying that 15 years from now we should take away your drivers license. At least there is a ton of statistical evidence supporting the idea that people over the age of 65 are very dangerous on the road.

He was outside of his house after seeing a suspicious vehicle and not just wandering around downtown miami. You are making the leap of logic that because he has a CCL he must 'pack heat' everywhere he goes. There is no evidence at all to support this yet you are more than willing to pass judgement.

As for the 'stomping' incident once again you mischaracterize his actions. First of all once that FIU player bodyslammed his teammate to the ground it ceased being a football related activity. Now the right thing to do would have been for Meriweather to stay out of the melee but he was kicking the guy and not stomping on him and there is quite a HUGE difference between the two.

Comparing meriweathers actions to Haynesworths is laughable. What would have been more apt would have been if Columbo would have come up to Haynesworth after he stomped his teammate and beat him down. Haynesworth did what he did because Gurode was playing like a probowler, Meriweather did what he did because he saw his teammate bodyslammed. There again is a huge difference between the two.

I would have personally loved to see one of Gurodes teammates to have stomped Haynesworths guts out.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1493301 said:
That is partially true that we make him into a controversial figure but it is not entirely true.

We did not make him get paranoid when other QBs were brought in. We did not make him violate the league substance abuse rule multiple times. We did not cause the jets not to keep him. We did not cause the CFL team to cut him.

See it can, and does, go both ways.

If QC never had any problems you would still have some with major issues against him. How ever I doubt it would be this bad if he was gone just because he did not work out and never had any other issues.

Its just a product of people not being able to let go. After that SF game in 2001 i was one of Carters biggest supposrters as he put up a great performance against what was a playoff team. i think a lot of people did.

After a couple of years of mediocre to bad performances i was able to realize that he wasnt going to be all that good. I let go.

Unfortunately, some people just cannot let go.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I don't see why anyone wants to own a gun, they have one purpose and one purpose only, to kill/maim others. Worst invention in human history bar none.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1493416 said:
Im sorry but this is just silly. Quote frankly its age discrimination. I suppose that if he was 5 years older that it would be okay for him to carry a gun?

Way to miss the point, Fuzz...

Who is it that hangs out in clubs, chasing women and drugs?? Why, for the most part, it's YOUNG PEOPLE... I know I did that sort of thing until I was in my early 30s, then I kinda outgrew it...

That was the point of my argument-- that YOUNG PEOPLE who feel the need to carry guns do so because they hang out in bad places, with bad people... perhaps in the fullness of time, young Mr. Merriweather will also outgrow his youthful indiscretions, but in the meantime, let some other team pay him millions of dollars, then go to bed each night wondering what sort of mischief the lad's getting into with his legal gun...

He was outside of his house after seeing a suspicious vehicle and not just wandering around downtown miami.

Gee, when I see "suspicious vehicles" around my house, my first thought is to stay inside and call the police, not to grab a gun and go outside to check them out...

You are making the leap of logic that because he has a CCL he must 'pack heat' everywhere he goes. There is no evidence at all to support this yet you are more than willing to pass judgement.

Yeah, there are all kinds of people who go get carry permits, and never, ever carry...

You believe in the tooth fairy too, don't you??

Bottom line, there are reports that the Cowboys stayed away from Merriweather because of concerns about his character, and this episode was one of the red flags about that character issue...

As for the 'stomping' incident once again you mischaracterize his actions. First of all once that FIU player bodyslammed his teammate to the ground it ceased being a football related activity. Now the right thing to do would have been for Meriweather to stay out of the melee but he was kicking the guy and not stomping on him and there is quite a HUGE difference between the two.

No, there's only a semantic difference... both involve assaulting a prone victim with your feet...

Comparing meriweathers actions to Haynesworths is laughable. What would have been more apt would have been if Columbo would have come up to Haynesworth after he stomped his teammate and beat him down. Haynesworth did what he did because Gurode was playing like a probowler, Meriweather did what he did because he saw his teammate bodyslammed. There again is a huge difference between the two.

Look at you, justifying that CONTEMPTIBLE act... it was the actions of a PUNK, plain and simple... what he did made him absolutely no better than the guy he assaulted...

I would have personally loved to see one of Gurodes teammates to have stomped Haynesworths guts out.

You'd undoubtedly fit right in with Brandon's crew... LOL...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1493450 said:
I don't see why anyone wants to own a gun, they have one purpose and one purpose only, to kill/maim others. Worst invention in human history bar none.

If the Gun wasn't invented, people did and would continue to find other ways to kill other people.

There was a horrific shooting at Lubby's in Texas a while back, I wonder what would have happened if any of those people would have had a gun to defend themselves?

Gun laws should be tightend (especially the screen process), but outright banning them, I am not sure the crimes of a few, should punish the majority.

- Mike G.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1493450 said:

:rolleyes:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Of course there were killings before but without a gun, you cannot kill massive amounts of people by yourself as that dude at Va Tech did. You simply cannot knife 33 people in that short a time.

Unfortunately, at our base level, the one that we had 4 million years ago before evolution, man is violent as hell. We have curbed that violence for the most part over those 4 million years but with our weapons, we have now the capability of having the few in our society who haven't evolved correctly, to do far more damage to the rest of us who have.

Maybe it's just me but I don't want the suburban housewife at the grocery store packing heat in case some guy hits on her in the store. I don't want to be caught in any cross fire.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1493469 said:
Of course there were killings before but without a gun, you cannot kill massive amounts of people by yourself as that dude at Va Tech did. You simply cannot knife 33 people in that short a time.

Unfortunately, at our base level, the one that we had 4 million years ago before evolution, man is violent as hell. We have curbed that violence for the most part over those 4 million years but with our weapons, we have now the capability of having the few in our society who haven't evolved correctly, to do far more damage to the rest of us who have.

Maybe it's just me but I don't want the suburban housewife at the grocery store packing heat in case some guy hits on her in the store. I don't want to be caught in any cross fire.
With fertilizer and diesel fuel a guy named Timothy McVeigh killed more faster and did more damage.

I don't know why anyone would buy forks and spoons. All they do is make people fat. Their only purpose is to shovel calories into your mouth.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
zrinkill;1493482 said:
The argument is stupid .....

So you think guns serve a purpose other than killing/maiming? Ok, tell me what that purpose is.

Hostile, an explosive device is basically a gun on steroids. In any event, it is clear from my post I was referring to gun killings, not bombs.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;1493479 said:
With fertilizer and diesel fuel a guy named Timothy McVeigh killed more faster and did more damage.

I don't know why anyone would buy forks and spoons. All they do is make people fat. Their only purpose is to shovel calories into your mouth.

True, and you can throw the 9-11 Terrorists in that boat as well.

I do get what CCF is trying to state, it would be alot harder to kill massive amounts of people and those mechanisms would serve as somewhat as a deterrent to some.

But I don't know that you punish the majority by banning guns, just because a few committ crimes.

- Mike G.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1493485 said:
So you think guns serve a purpose other than killing/maiming? Ok, tell me what that purpose is.

Hostile, an explosive device is basically a gun on steroids. In any event, it is clear from my post I was referring to gun killings, not bombs.
It isn't the gun that kills, it is the mind behind it, same as a knife, bomb, or any other implement used to kill.

Period.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score

Dude, don't waste your time with Zinkthrill or whatever the hell his name is.

- Mike G.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1493489 said:
True, and you can throw the 9-11 Terrorists in that boat as well.

I do get what CCF is trying to state, it would be alot harder to kill massive amounts of people and those mechanisms would serve as somewhat as a deterrent to some.

But I don't know that you punish the majority by banning guns, just because a few committ crimes.

- Mike G.
Yep, why would anyone build planes. They can kill thousands.

Over reactions are more common than ever. This is one. I could kill someone with a toothbrush, so we should all have bad teeth?

Nonsense.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

Defends our Country ..... defends our Homes .....

I guess you would not pick up a gun if some 6'7" 300 lb man was gonna hurt your family huh?

Give me a break with this ******** hippie bull.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Hostile;1493491 said:
It isn't the gun that kills, it is the mind behind it, same as a knife, bomb, or any other implement used to kill.

Period.

You would agree though that a gun serves no purpose other than to kill/maim? While a gun does not in and of itself kill, it does allow those that have not evolved correctly to kill far more easily.

Take Chris in the Sopranos on Sunday. He was mad at the writer so he pulled out his gun and shot him in the head. In a flash the writer was gone. Take away the gun and Chris probably doesn't kill him.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1493493 said:
Dude, don't waste your time with Zinkthrill or whatever the hell his name is.

- Mike G.

Yes please hypocrite ..... dont waste your time with me .....

I see you are still angry about your basketball team getting knocked out of the playoffs .... get over it.

:laugh2:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1493498 said:
You would agree though that a gun serves no purpose other than to kill/maim? While a gun does not in and of itself kill, it does allow those that have not evolved correctly to kill far more easily.

Take Chris in the Sopranos on Sunday. He was mad at the writer so he pulled out his gun and shot him in the head. In a flash the writer was gone. Take away the gun and Chris probably doesn't kill him.

So only the biggest and strongest should make the rules huh?

:bang2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1493498 said:

No, I don't agree. I go skeet shooting all the time. No killing involved. I go target shooting with rifles and pistols. No killing involved.

Your example is a TV show first of all, unless I missed some story, and 2nd of all it is still the mind behind it. He could just as easily have knocked the man to the ground and kicked him in the head until he killed him.