Quinn getting 2nd interviews with Tennessee and Washington

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I understand we've all soured on Quinn. But to pretend he's not a good HC candidate is silly. He's taken a team to the Super Bowl before. He knows how to assemble a strong coaching staff. Players love him, and up until the second half of the season, when we had literally one LB on the roster, had overhauled a truly terrible defense into one of the league's better units. And it's not like he did it thru personnel. Outside of Parsons, our defense was led by Daron Bland, Dlaw, and a literal bunch of JAGs like Armstrong, Fowler and reclamation projects like Gilmore, Kearse, and Hooker. We went from never getting turnovers to setting records at it.

He's no slouch, and certainly a safer bet to be competitive than some of the other options.

Reactions: CWR

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
People that are scared to move on from trash players and coaches because “who will you replace them with???” make me laugh. Who cares if we get worse, we‘re going absolutely nowhere as is. I’d rather tank and hit rock bottom with the hope of better days than stay in no man’s land forever.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
He's going to get a job.

Now, his replacement better not be another Rob Ryan/Rod Marinelli/Mike Nolan type. I don't trust this FO when it comes to hiring on that side of the ball.
McCarthy is a lame duck. No well respected DC is coming here. We’ll promote one of our guys. We like our guys.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Well he’s not going to Tennessee… So is it just Washington that he’s had a 2nd interview with, or has he had two with Seattle?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
As I said before I’m fine moving on from Quinn, but some of these fans are so ridiculous. They wanted Quinn to replace McCarthy as head coach, they said he was the reason for the teams success. He was the real leader and now he’s suddenly absolute trash and garbage.

He absolutely needs to tweak his scheme and emphasis stopping the run but this idea that he’s not a top coordinator for his position is not true.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Dude, he’s got 2 or 3 second interviews. How do you explain that?
Tennesse brought in their HC to be for an interview and didn't allow him to leave the building, this is how much they believe in Callahan. If there was a team that had 100% belief in DQ they would have done the same instead of him interviewing with 14 teams. Simply put, if you really want the guy you don't let him walk. Doesn't mean DQ won't wind up in Seattle, but they haven't signed him yet so there is some doubt, and DQ's post season is the reason for this

Blue64

Reaction score
Quinn leaving is a forgone conclusion at this point. The question is who do we replace him with. Are there any “big name” established, experienced D coordinator available? Or are we going to be taking a shot on an “up and comer” type?
What does it matter?
DQ may go elsewhere and that team will have more success than the cowboys…
It’s easy to blame the DC, HC…
But we have primadonnas as players whose only interest is getting paid and not winning championships.
We also have a GM and Owner whose teams have done nothing for the last 28 Years and yet he is still the talk of the NFL.

Jerry is the greatest snake oil salesman in the world and we the fans and media keep lapping it up every season…

Ask yourself this in what other sport can an average team get weekly coverage almost every week?

Majic

Reaction score
What does it matter?
DQ may go elsewhere and that team will have more success than the cowboys…
It’s easy to blame the DC, HC…
But we have primadonnas as players whose only interest is getting paid and not winning championships.
We also have a GM and Owner whose teams have done nothing for the last 28 Years and yet he is still the talk of the NFL.

Jerry is the greatest snake oil salesman in the world and we the fans and media keep lapping it up every season…

Ask yourself this in what other sport can an average team get weekly coverage almost every week?
Well if you accept the GM is not going to change it puts even more emphasis on the coaches.

We need coaches of the calibre of Bill Parcells who can see what needs changing and get even more out of the better players on the team. Remember how he got under Larry Allen's skin (the best player on the team) and got better results?

That's why in my opinion we need a Belichick, Vrabel or Harbaugh.

On DEF we need a complete scheme change.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I understand we've all soured on Quinn. But to pretend he's not a good HC candidate is silly. He's taken a team to the Super Bowl before. He knows how to assemble a strong coaching staff. Players love him, and up until the second half of the season, when we had literally one LB on the roster, had overhauled a truly terrible defense into one of the league's better units. And it's not like he did it thru personnel. Outside of Parsons, our defense was led by Daron Bland, Dlaw, and a literal bunch of JAGs like Armstrong, Fowler and reclamation projects like Gilmore, Kearse, and Hooker. We went from never getting turnovers to setting records at it.

He's no slouch, and certainly a safer bet to be competitive than some of the other options.
How many turnovers did the defense generate against quality teams? Yes Dallas looks unstoppable against below 500 teams but how did it hold up against:

Detroit, SF, Buffalo, Miami, GB?

3 of the 5 games they were brutalized in and against Detroit and Miami they couldn’t get the last stop when they needed to (thank goodness for the refs vs Detroit).

Even the first Philly game before they completely fell apart was bad.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
How many turnovers did the defense generate against quality teams? Yes Dallas looks unstoppable against below 500 teams but how did it hold up against:

Detroit, SF, Buffalo, Miami, GB?

3 of the 5 games they were brutalized in and against Detroit and Miami they couldn’t get the last stop when they needed to (thank goodness for the refs vs Detroit).

Even the first Philly game before they completely fell apart was bad.
I get it and I agree. I'm not saying Quinn is the best DC in the world. But do you guys remember anything pre-Quinn? He DID improve the defense, significantly.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Tennesse brought in their HC to be for an interview and didn't allow him to leave the building, this is how much they believe in Callahan. If there was a team that had 100% belief in DQ they would have done the same instead of him interviewing with 14 teams. Simply put, if you really want the guy you don't let him walk. Doesn't mean DQ won't wind up in Seattle, but they haven't signed him yet so there is some doubt, and DQ's post season is the reason for this
If he doesn’t sign elsewhere and resigns here, there’s going to be a huge revolt. But I can see that happening since MM is a lame duck contract wise.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If he doesn’t sign elsewhere and resigns here, there’s going to be a huge revolt. But I can see that happening since MM is a lame duck contract wise.
I am so onside with you, DQ is the guy Jerry has not wanted to let go and the lack of a vote of confidence in MM might be thing thing DQ is eyeing, and possibly failing his interviews knowing this is coming...interesting, lol

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Im torn on Quinn. He has improved the defense significantly for our historically bad defense. Last year's defense was pretty good too. However, this year they really faded and he had some questionable scheme.

Also, Washington is interviewing Bobby Slowik, which probably would have been my pick for HC if Jerry fired McCarthy. I done want him going to Washington.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

3 of the 7 Head Coaching vacancies have been filled:

• Raiders - removed interim title and promoted Antonio Pierce to permanent Head Coach
  • Patriots - Promoted Jerod Mayo to Head Coach
  • Titans - reports that Bengals OC Brian Callahan will be offered the Head Coach position
Remaining openings:
  • Seahawks - have requested 2nd interview with Dan Quinn
  • RedFootballCommanderskins - have requested interview with Dan Quinn
  • Falcons - have interviewed Bill Belichick twice
  • Chargers - have requested interview with Dan Quinn
So, Dan Quinn is a candidate for 3 of the 4 remaining head coaching openings. The only one he is not being considered for is the Falcons, where he was already the Head Coach once, and got fired.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
3 of the 7 Head Coaching vacancies have been filled:

• Raiders - removed interim title and promoted Antonio Pierce to permanent Head Coach
  • Patriots - Promoted Jerod Mayo to Head Coach
  • Titans - reports that Bengals OC Brian Callahan will be offered the Head Coach position. The Titans interviewed Dan Quinn twice, but have chosen Callahan to rebuild their offense.
Remaining openings:
  • Seahawks - have requested 2nd interview with Dan Quinn
  • RedFootballCommanderskins - have requested 2nd interview with Dan Quinn. Washington hired the most coveted front office man in the NFL, Adam Peters formerly of the 49ers, to be their new GM.
  • Falcons - have interviewed Bill Belichick twice
  • Chargers - have requested interview with Dan Quinn, but are having 2nd interview with Jim Harbaugh
So, Dan Quinn remains a candidate for 3 of the 4 remaining head coaching openings. The only one he is not being considered for is the Falcons, where he was already the Head Coach once, and got fired.

Personally, I think the job in Washington is the most attractive. There is likely going to be another name change, getting rid of the putrid Commanders name. That signifies a brand new start - much like an expansion team. The have new ownership, with previous pro spots ownership experience, and have built championship level teams in other sports. The ownership knows what it takes to build a championship organization, and are likely to put in place what is necessary culturally to have success The have the 2nd overall pick in the draft in the upcoming draft, with two top generational talent QB's coming available. The have already offloaded expensive contracts, and have over 78M in CAP space this coming offseason, with more CAP space coming in 2025 when the dead money for old contracts falls off the books.

I'm not sure that Dan Quinn is the ideal candidate for a total rebuild in Washington. I think he's a better fit in Seattle. He already works well with Pete Carroll, who will remain in the Seahawks front office. Quinn would likely feel less threatened by Carroll's continued presence than other potential head coach candidates.

If Belichick ends up in Atlanta, Harbaugh ends up with the Chargers, and Quinn ends up in Seattle, I wonder who else besides Dan Quinn they are interviewing in Washington. New GM Adam Peters will likely have a big impact on who gets hired. As a member of the NFC east, it will make a big difference to the Cowboys who they end up hiring in Washington. It will also be very interesting to find out what their new name will be, or if they will choose to go back to the name they were known by for so many years.