Quinn led the league in beating his man

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That’s all true. But my point is if ‘leading the league in beating his man’ is such a good stat, why is he not even worth a 5th round pick to any team in the league?
Easy awnser. He is a band aid that was set to make almost 12 million in a walk year, nearing 30 years old. Teams are hesitant to give up draft capital for that if you arent currently a Pro Bowl level player.

Good chance no team was willing to take his 2019 cap hit. Cowboys were the only team that face to faced with him, so they may have been the only team with knowledge that a restructure was possible. 8 million with 9 million if he meets incentives is far for palatable for Quinn that 11+

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...win-rate/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

“Quinn’s 2018 campaign seemed unremarkable at a glance. With the Miami Dolphins, he was the No. 2 pass-rushing threat behind Cameron Wake. Quinn managed only 6.5 sacks, but in a complementary role, that is a pretty impressive stat. For the sake of comparison, Quinn’s 6.5 sacks would have ranked second on the Cowboys in 2018, just in front of Randy Gregory’s sack total (6.0).

Age was not a big factor for the 29-year old Quinn in 2018. According to ESPN’s Pass Rush Win Ratemetric, he was the best edge rusher in terms of beating his man at the point of attack with a win rate of 40 percent. ESPN’s PRWR is denoted by a pass rusher’s ability to beat his man within 2.5 seconds (the average time for the quarterback to release the ball).”

Im happy to have Quinn. A very good 2nd pass rusher. But lets put into perspective what he is. A player past his prime, with some injuries issues in the past and he is slowing down. Probably a very good situational pass rusher. Might be the equal or slightly less than that of Gregory. Without the upside. His weakness is in the run game. But we can always put Crawford in on first downs like we have been doing and it should be fine.

We fixed a huge hole that was created by Gregory. But if anything, we are back to where we were last year. The team did not get better by losing Gregory and gaining Quinn. And lets not forget that its a one year deal. Does nothing for us long term there.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Quinn was the best we could do at that price, considering the void Gregory left us.
Pretty sure this team is done in FA at this point,, its a rap.
Decent off season IMO.
On to the draft fellas, and its wide open at this point...
I actually started looking at WRs at the 58.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Im happy to have Quinn. A very good 2nd pass rusher. But lets put into perspective what he is. A player past his prime, with some injuries issues in the past and he is slowing down. Probably a very good situational pass rusher. Might be the equal or slightly less than that of Gregory. Without the upside. His weakness is in the run game. But we can always put Crawford in on first downs like we have been doing and it should be fine.

We fixed a huge hole that was created by Gregory. But if anything, we are back to where we were last year. The team did not get better by losing Gregory and gaining Quinn. And lets not forget that its a one year deal. Does nothing for us long term there.

If he excels and gets a good new contract, it nets us a comp pick in 20.

So technically it could help us long term.

Proof

Reaction score
I’m really big on wanting players worth more than a 5th

like desean, howard, michael bennett etc etc? you guys are known for these types of deals, fairly standard fare.

As far as the topic at hand, i don't think anyone especially values this particular stat, just kind of a neat and encouraging tidbit. i doubt many of us have been following quinn very closely the past few years, so you see the dip in production, and the lack of pro bowls and the narrative is set. something like this to counterbalance it can give a bit of optimism

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If he excels and gets a good new contract, it nets us a comp pick in 20.

So technically it could help us long term.

Possibly, but that's not what I meant. I mean in a year or two we are still going to need a DE on that side. Unless some miracle happens with the young guys on the team. Maybe with the new collective bargaining agreement Gregory can be freed up to smoke weed and play football.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Man,I finally had to click the " show ignored content " to see what was going down, :lmao:. Sheese!
I'd placed that chipmunk S*** eating chump in that ignore column, as he's completely void of anything of merit,while I rarely employ the ignore feature, it is just like the day before they joined/were accepted to the forum:lmao2:
I'm trying to avoid using the ignore feature but at the very least, I'll quit taking the bait.

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s all true. But my point is if ‘leading the league in beating his man’ is such a good stat, why is he not even worth a 5th round pick to any team in the league?

And Eagles fans are creaming themselves over Jordan Howard and yet using your logic, how good can he be since you got a guy on a rookie contract for a 6th round pick?