Quinn tried to get Bobby Wagner to Dallas

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Just like Philly does? Just like San Francisco does? Just like the LA Rams did ... twice?

The cap is set up to be manipulated. The Joneses' choice not to do that, at least for outside free agents, is simply that, a choice. You can buy into the idea that they can't afford FAs, but then please explain how Philly pays its players AND loads up on outside free agents every year. The Eagles have been to the Super Bowl twice by doing that while we're still struggling to make an NFC title game, and Philly loaded up again this offseason while paying its quarterback more than we are paying ours.

I will say that saying the Joneses are too cheap isn't exactly correct. They are too cheap when it comes to outside FAs. They don't believe they get enough value out of them to justify signing them. This has been their mantra since after signing Brandon Carr. It's not hard at all to follow that trail back. They are not cheap when it comes to signing their own free agents, paying market value or beyond.
Other teams don't have our bills coming due. Thick skulls need to understand this.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Other teams don't have our bills coming due. Thick skulls need to understand this.
People actually fall for that line from the Jones family? I'm not sure who told you differently, but other teams pay the majority of their star players too. The Cowboys are currently top 10 in cap space for 2025. Top 5 in cap space for 2026. The Cowboys paying some of their bills now instead of waiting actually saves them money on the AAVs, but could also free up money for this year. While there is some level of truth to the 'bills coming due' excuse, the real issues with the cap are self inflicted by the mismanagement of this teams front office.

Praxit

Reaction score
..it didnt matter. Age has taken this guys game.

Who's that LB that Eagles baited last year? He was suppose to be all pro this N that.

Once he arrived, they still lost the last 4 of 5, including WC.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
People actually fall for that line from the Jones family? I'm not sure who told you differently, but other teams pay the majority of their star players too. The Cowboys are currently top 10 in cap space for 2025. Top 5 in cap space for 2026. The Cowboys paying some of their bills now instead of waiting actually saves them money on the AAVs, but could also free up money for this year. While there is some level of truth to the 'bills coming due' excuse, the real issues with the cap are self inflicted by the mismanagement of this teams front office.
You don't know what you are talking about and your breath stinks. That's because you're talking crap. :laugh:

Rayman70

Reaction score
the inmates trying to run Jerrys insane asylum lol. I am shocked and dismayed. :muttley:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And those who buy into that spiel need to read stories like this one: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...an-became-a-magician-at-manipulating-the-cap/

When mentioning salary cap space and the Philadelphia Eagles, there are typically more questions than answers. How can the Eagles afford all these players? How do the Eagles create so much cap space every year? Why is the cap arbitrary for the Eagles and not other teams?
Thanks to the Eagles, the pundits question whether the salary cap is a myth. Eagles general manager Howie Roseman is just good at manipulating it, continuing to use the business of the NFL to his advantage.
How is Roseman able to create salary cap space every year, making the Eagles annual players in free agency in the process? The Eagles certainly don't run their front office like the New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Chargers and Dallas Cowboys -- and it shows.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You don't know what you are talking about and your breath stinks. That's because you're talking crap. :laugh:
OK Ill play along...where did I say something incorrect in my post? I would actually LOVE to be wrong about this subject as it gets demoralizing to think this teams ownership is either cheap, incompetent, or both so I'm very open minded to the other side of the debate.

Right now the Cowboys are set up for cap hits of:

2024 - $287m
2025 - $211m
2026 - $116m
2027 - $62m
2028 - $41m

Assuming 10% cap growth year over year the cap should be in the ballpark of:

2024 - $255m
2025 - $280m
2026 - $308m
2027 - $338m
2028 - $371m

For comparison the Eagles 5 year running cap looks like:

2024 - $266m
2025 - $257m
2026 - $249m
2027 - $236m
2028 - $212m

Now I'm not saying that the Cowboys need to go full on Philly mode in terms of cap management, however they have over $800m in open cap space through 2028 to play around with currently. The big three of Dak/Lamb/Parsons could potentially eat up the majority of that, but we are also not taking into account any void years to those deals, nor would that take into account that guaranteed money is typically about 70% of the overall contracts for star players and these guys are often either getting extensions or cut once that guaranteed money is over.

Shannon1

Reaction score
Yes they do ! They just move it forward ! We could had more money to spend if he had signed Dak and Cee Dee !

kevm3

Reaction score
Why do we keep blaming Jerry? This is how the organization has been ran ever since Stephen Jones took over. We were begging for someone to take over after Jerry and we got exactly what we wished for and unfortunately, I think I prefer Jerry. At least there was something to be excited about.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The cowboys defense has gotten ran all over again and again and again in the playoffs. Embarrassingly so. Franchise record levels of bad run defense in the playoffs the last few years.

But hey. We saved 7-10 mil per season against the cap by not signing Wagner. So we have that to hang our hats on.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Maybe Jr has a pre-recorded voicemail come FA time? "Thanks for your interest in signing with the Dallas Cowboys. Unfortunately, at this time my Dad and I are on the Yacht and can't take your call, so please leave a message. And oh yeah, we have money to spend on you so please call Howard Roseman he can figure out this cap thing for you":

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The cowboys defense has gotten ran all over again and again and again in the playoffs. Embarrassingly so. Franchise record levels of bad run defense in the playoffs the last few years.

But hey. We saved 7-10 mil per season against the cap by not signing Wagner. So we have that to hang our hats on.
Lack of play making DTs, LBers, and safeties have been killing us for a couple decades now. We'll get people pulling up PFF grades on our safeties, but we just never seem to have truly elite guys at these positions. They are either good or just good enough.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Imagine having Wagner to fill one of the biggest weaknesses on the defense. Smh. I hate the Jones family. I hate them with all my heart and soul.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think it has less to do with not being a good contract/cap guy and more to do with the team's free agent philosophy. They are just not going to pay much for outside free agents, even if it is to the detriment of the team. The Joneses are dug in on their belief that spending on outside free agents is a waste (which it sometimes is) even though the Super Bowl participants have shown that a few key, not-cheap FAs can put a team over the top.

It's really not much different than their early days after the Jimmy-Jerry divorce. Jerry was of the belief that he could use expensive free agency to fill in around Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin and neglected the draft. The only time we've done everything we could in player acquisition since Jerry became owner was when Jimmy was running the show. Consequently, we have not been able to get back to a championship game since then.
Let me amend that. We also did it under Parcells as he reshaped our draft philosophy while we were still spending on free agency. However, he decided to retire before the job was done and the Joneses handed it over to Phillips, who proved that he was not a head coach, leading us to where we are now. We had a small window there, but it took too long to find a good-enough QB before it closed when Phillips was unable to get through it with the team Parcells built.

gimmesix

Reaction score
OK Ill play along...where did I say something incorrect in my post? I would actually LOVE to be wrong about this subject as it gets demoralizing to think this teams ownership is either cheap, incompetent, or both so I'm very open minded to the other side of the debate.

Right now the Cowboys are set up for cap hits of:

2024 - $287m
2025 - $211m
2026 - $116m
2027 - $62m
2028 - $41m

Assuming 10% cap growth year over year the cap should be in the ballpark of:

2024 - $255m
2025 - $280m
2026 - $308m
2027 - $338m
2028 - $371m

For comparison the Eagles 5 year running cap looks like:

2024 - $266m
2025 - $257m
2026 - $249m
2027 - $236m
2028 - $212m

Now I'm not saying that the Cowboys need to go full on Philly mode in terms of cap management, however they have over $800m in open cap space through 2028 to play around with currently. The big three of Dak/Lamb/Parsons could potentially eat up the majority of that, but we are also not taking into account any void years to those deals, nor would that take into account that guaranteed money is typically about 70% of the overall contracts for star players and these guys are often either getting extensions or cut once that guaranteed money is over.
Right. And the 2024 number will go down quite a bit if we extend Prescott and Lamb. Of course, the other years will go up, but not to the level that Philly is at. Of course, the Eagles will sign more FAs, cut and trade players, etc., to change those numbers.