Quinn tried to get Bobby Wagner to Dallas

fivetwos

Reaction score
No need to add Wagner, we have Damone Clark.

That similar decision made several times over is why these two will never put together a winner. They aren’t capable. You can’t hit on enough draft picks in a short enough period for their plan to work vs what you’re competing against.

There’s a small chance it could work with a far superior coaching staff and schemes, but we have retreads that Jerry can push around and be a celebrity.

Really, that’s what this is all about.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I have a great feeling that Washington will again struggle this year.
We shall see. DQ has some magic to work with that secondary, but if that young QB can be at least league average I think they have a real change to finish a game either way of .500. I doubt they're the pushover they have been recently.

Redline360

Reaction score
Wagner I'll do it for a cheeseburger and fries

Stephen....best we can do is a hamburger

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Right. Again, we blame the coaches when they are handicapped by what the front office is willing to give them. They may have input on players, but it only goes so far. Quinn wanted Wagner; he got LVE.

I think in his news conference the other day, Zimmer made an offhanded comment about the personnel at some positions not being ideal, but if Zimmer's defense has areas of weakness that get exploited this season, fans here will blame him for it. As the saying goes, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken feces. We'll end up wasting the career of a great player we lucked into (Parsons) because of all the weak links the front office puts around him, just like we did with Ware until he was lucky enough that the front office forced him to leave and go to a team that was doing all it could to win a Super Bowl.
Not saying Quinn's defense is going to do better in Washington. I question the team's moves at defensive end. They did add a good pass rusher in Jer'Zhan Newton in the draft, but he's more of a DT and is coming off surgery. Of course, he'll probably be deploying Luvu a lot like he did Parsons. His defense may be better against the run but may also take a step back on pressure and turnovers this year compared to what he had in Dallas.

rambo2

Reaction score
We shall see. DQ has some magic to work with that secondary, but if that young QB can be at least league average I think they have a real change to finish a game either way of .500. I doubt they're the pushover they have been recently.
Their center can very well be pushed over. Their new dtackle is already hurt.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think it has less to do with not being a good contract/cap guy and more to do with the team's free agent philosophy. They are just not going to pay much for outside free agents, even if it is to the detriment of the team. The Joneses are dug in on their belief that spending on outside free agents is a waste (which it sometimes is) even though the Super Bowl participants have shown that a few key, not-cheap FAs can put a team over the top.

It's really not much different than their early days after the Jimmy-Jerry divorce. Jerry was of the belief that he could use expensive free agency to fill in around Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin and neglected the draft. The only time we've done everything we could in player acquisition since Jerry became owner was when Jimmy was running the show. Consequently, we have not been able to get back to a championship game since then.
But with Kendricks this year he only signed for $3 million with the Cowboys. How could he have screwed that up to where he was signing with the 49ers?

At least with Wagner the price was over $6 million and back with his original team on the west coast.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wagner would have been a huge improvement to our defense. I was thoroughly disappointed we signed LVE for what was essentially $500k less than it would have taken to sign Wagner. LVE didn’t even last half the season.

What is sooooo frustrating about this is it is crystal clear that Stephen Jones’ guiding light - first and foremost is NOT how can we make this team significantly better. The guiding principal is who can we get on the cheap and hope it works out. Which is exactly why we keep getting the results of the last 3 decades.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Their center can very well be pushed over. Their new dtackle is already hurt.
Our DT is hurt as well, plus our projected starting C hasn't even taken a professional snap. Don't be so quick to dismiss your opponents. I'm not saying the Cowboys don't have a chance to win it this year, but the NFC East should be a dog fight in 2024. They lack the blue grade players like a Lamb/Parsons but I think they've done a nice job building up the trenches there. I just don't see them being the same 4 win team they were a year ago.

phildadon86

Reaction score
This isn't news. We already knew that they wanted Wagner and couldn't get him. I'd say they blew it when they over paid Pollard. They could have gotten a running back for 3 million and had some money for Wagner. They blew it.
LOL.

You said their decision to keep LVE over Wagner was a good one.

Dont rewrite history.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Wagner would have been a huge improvement to our defense. I was thoroughly disappointed we signed LVE for what was essentially $500k less than it would have taken to sign Wagner. LVE didn’t even last half the season.

What is sooooo frustrating about this is it is crystal clear that Stephen Jones’ guiding light - first and foremost is NOT how can we make this team significantly better. The guiding principal is who can we get on the cheap and hope it works out. Which is exactly why we keep getting the results of the last 3 decades.
Crazy part to me is that LVE could have easily bumped out to the weak side where he might actually be a better player and takes on less wear and tear. Wagner/LVE with Clarke as a rotational piece is a very strong unit.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Yup!

EST_1986

Reaction score
Wasn’t that obvious last the last 2 years. Surprise? Not So much - we don’t over spend on free agency, like it or not that is the Cowboy Way
why this team will stay mediocre

Proof

Reaction score
It's been years since the Cowboys paid a free agent what Wagner wanted to get paid. Why is it a surprise the Cowboys didn't want to pay him?

The Cowboys do not value defense as much as they value offense. They are currently spending $172MM on offense and $91 million on defense in CAP dollars. It has been like this in Dallas for years.
cowboys gave both gilmore and cooks as much or more than wagner.

fivetwos

Reaction score
“We just feel like there’s better value with the guys we have. We love Clark’s potential.”

Things like that are something that Stephen would say after listening to a position coach talk a player up. They can’t see it for themselves.

What’s that same coach supposed to do, say ‘hey…I can’t make this guy into something he isn’t, so go ahead and spend millions on a free agent?’

No, and that in a nutshell is why this whole FO setup is terribly flawed and will never work. There’s a reason no other pro sports team is run that way. The bosses have to ultimately be the most knowledgeable and that’s not the case here by a longshot. Not when it comes to building a winning NFL roster.