Quit trying so hard to get TO the ball

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Owens had a 40+ yard catch against the Eagles called back by a Proctor hold. Had that stood, the little "15 games without 100+ yards" stat goes down the toilet.

It is hilarious to see how people have gone from "T.O. is FASTER THAN EVER THIS YEAR...CAN ANYONE RUN FASTER IN PADS THAN T.O.?, LOOK AT HOW HE BLEW PAST LEON HALL FOR THAT TD!!!" to "he's aging, he's lost a step, he's no longer an elite receiver, blah blah blah."

And the thing is, I KNEW this would happen. As soon as I heard that Brad Johnson would be starting the next 3 games, I knew his season would be shot statistically and clueless people would be asking that question.

Superpunk, if you honestly "see" a decline in T.O.'s ability on the field versus last year, it's all in your head. Trust me.

Owens DID physically decline, but that was back in 2004. He hasn't run like he did in 2001-2003 since, well, 2003. With that, his RAC ability declined dramatically.

Since then, he has actually managed to improve himself physically from where he was as an Eagle. He's still not where he was in 2001-2003 (he was the rare guy who could lose a step and still be several steps faster than everyone else), but if anything, he's faster this year than he was in 2007.

If you watch his 25 yard catch last night, you'll see that he can still fly.

Does anyone honestly believe that he lost everything right after the Philly game in week 2 (in which he caught 3-87, which would have been 4-120+ if not for the Proctor hold)?

Well, there was Green Bay, where it all started in terms of statistical decline. Of course, he sprinted up to Felix Jones to screen for him down field on his TD run....and he got blocked to the ground, got up, and caught Nick Collins from way behind on the interception return...hmmm.

And then there was the Commanders game...7-71-1...no big plays from him, all those targets. Had it already happened?

And he was quiet in the Cinci game...until he caught that long TD catch-and-run leaving (apparently unaware) people's jaws on the floor with his breakaway speed.

Then there was the Arizona loss...and that was it for Romo. In came Brad "unanimous choice for worst player in NFL history" Johnson. No breakout games the next 3 weeks.

And now T.O. has "aged before our eyes. He's losing it."

Right.

You guys want to know what the problem is? I'll tell you.

Think back to the last time they threw deep to Terrell Owens and the ball was actually in bounds. It obviously wasn't with Brad Johnson, who couldn't hit the ocean from a rowboat.

Owens is a deep receiver. That's what he does. He makes his big plays off balls thrown down the field. When you have a QB with a splint on his pinky (and a game plan designed to adjust to that), that inversely affects a deep threat. When you have a QB with the weakest arm in football starting for 3 games, that's a problem for everyone. It's also a problem for a guy who makes his living off deep passes.

And in case you're wondering about his little statistical slump with Romo prior to the injury (Green Bay, Washington, Cinci, Arizona)--just last season, he had a similar decline in statistics for 3 games--St. Louis, Buffalo, and New England--before coming out of it.

Heaven forbid Owens not taking a quick hitch thrown to him with the corner draped all over him for a big gain. He must have declined; just last year, they must have been throwing him nothing but parallel passes and slants into heavy traffic.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2426640 said:
Has our offense been on the field the same number of plays this year as last year? Have we ran the ball this year more than last year? Have they been as efficient this year as last year?

Argument full of holes brah.

Last time I checked, TO played on the same team as Witten and Crayton 'brah'. What that means is did those conditions suddenly disappear for Terrell Owens to argue that he lost a step, while Witten and Crayton's decline in production was due to TOP and running less than last year and so on?

khiladi

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2426654 said:
Listen to Phillips presser, he explained in detail what they were thinking.
You aren't even close.

I haven't heard the presser and I'm quite sure your interpretation of what Wade said was off... They were down in the 4th. They went to Barber over and over again. They weren't just trying to 'run out the clock'. Their game plan was to attack with Barber, because the defense was worn down.

I don't even think you even know what the point is...

They claimed that this offense targetted TO... It didn't. In the whole fourth quarter, they didn't throw a single pass to TO. They gave the ball to Barber, over and over again. He even caught the passes...

It is quite clear that Barber was being targetted...

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
jimmy40;2425081 said:
The Cowboys have playmakers all over the place, there is no need to do this. Hell, it's embarrassing how much our offense is wrapped up in worrying about TO, we're doing the defense a favor, wasting plays.

+1000

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
jimmy40;2425081 said:
The Cowboys have playmakers all over the place, there is no need to do this. Hell, it's embarrassing how much our offense is wrapped up in worrying about TO, we're doing the defense a favor, wasting plays.
I would like to agree, however there is a very positive correlation with TO success and team success. I would like to us make more of a point in getting RW the ball. I honestly feel like he is the more talented WR at this point.

links18

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2426761 said:
Owens had a 40+ yard catch against the Eagles called back by a Proctor hold. Had that stood, the little "15 games without 100+ yards" stat goes down the toilet.

It is hilarious to see how people have gone from "T.O. is FASTER THAN EVER THIS YEAR...CAN ANYONE RUN FASTER IN PADS THAN T.O.?, LOOK AT HOW HE BLEW PAST LEON HALL FOR THAT TD!!!" to "he's aging, he's lost a step, he's no longer an elite receiver, blah blah blah."

And the thing is, I KNEW this would happen. As soon as I heard that Brad Johnson would be starting the next 3 games, I knew his season would be shot statistically and clueless people would be asking that question.

Superpunk, if you honestly "see" a decline in T.O.'s ability on the field versus last year, it's all in your head. Trust me.

Owens DID physically decline, but that was back in 2004. He hasn't run like he did in 2001-2003 since, well, 2003. With that, his RAC ability declined dramatically.

Since then, he has actually managed to improve himself physically from where he was as an Eagle. He's still not where he was in 2001-2003 (he was the rare guy who could lose a step and still be several steps faster than everyone else), but if anything, he's faster this year than he was in 2007.

If you watch his 25 yard catch last night, you'll see that he can still fly.

Does anyone honestly believe that he lost everything right after the Philly game in week 2 (in which he caught 3-87, which would have been 4-120+ if not for the Proctor hold)?

Well, there was Green Bay, where it all started in terms of statistical decline. Of course, he sprinted up to Felix Jones to screen for him down field on his TD run....and he got blocked to the ground, got up, and caught Nick Collins from way behind on the interception return...hmmm.

And then there was the Commanders game...7-71-1...no big plays from him, all those targets. Had it already happened?

And he was quiet in the Cinci game...until he caught that long TD catch-and-run leaving (apparently unaware) people's jaws on the floor with his breakaway speed.

Then there was the Arizona loss...and that was it for Romo. In came Brad "unanimous choice for worst player in NFL history" Johnson. No breakout games the next 3 weeks.

And now T.O. has "aged before our eyes. He's losing it."

Right.

You guys want to know what the problem is? I'll tell you.

Think back to the last time they threw deep to Terrell Owens and the ball was actually in bounds. It obviously wasn't with Brad Johnson, who couldn't hit the ocean from a rowboat.

Owens is a deep receiver. That's what he does. He makes his big plays off balls thrown down the field. When you have a QB with a splint on his pinky (and a game plan designed to adjust to that), that inversely affects a deep threat. When you have a QB with the weakest arm in football starting for 3 games, that's a problem for everyone. It's also a problem for a guy who makes his living off deep passes.

And in case you're wondering about his little statistical slump with Romo prior to the injury (Green Bay, Washington, Cinci, Arizona)--just last season, he had a similar decline in statistics for 3 games--St. Louis, Buffalo, and New England--before coming out of it.

Heaven forbid Owens not taking a quick hitch thrown to him with the corner draped all over him for a big gain. He must have declined; just last year, they must have been throwing him nothing but parallel passes and slants into heavy traffic.

Wow, such prescience from a guy with an 80 post count. This is exactly right. At the beginning of the year, everyone was remarking on how much faster Owens was this year, "faster than at any point in his career" is what I remember people saying. Had he lost it when he burnt the defense for a 35 yard TD in the Cleveland game? How about that 70 yard bomb against the Eagles? Or how about that circa 50 yard catch and run vs. the Bengals? The problem for Owens prior to the Romo injury, was constant double and triple teams and no competent receiver to take any pressure off of him and no effective gameplan to get him the ball. Then Romo goes out and the entire offense suffered. This last game was Owens' first with Roy Williams opposite him--but with a still injured Romo throwing the ball. Let's give it a few weeks before putting the nail in his coffin?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
khiladi;2427240 said:
I haven't heard the presser and I'm quite sure your interpretation of what Wade said was off... They were down in the 4th. They went to Barber over and over again. They weren't just trying to 'run out the clock'. Their game plan was to attack with Barber, because the defense was worn down.

I don't even think you even know what the point is...

They claimed that this offense targetted TO... It didn't. In the whole fourth quarter, they didn't throw a single pass to TO. They gave the ball to Barber, over and over again. He even caught the passes...

It is quite clear that Barber was being targetted...

Listen to it. Brah

khiladi

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2427274 said:
Listen to it. Brah

I don't need to listen to the presser to know Barber was the main guy, even when they were down in the 4th... The stats are right there...

And I'll read it once it get's posted, 'brah'..