Quit trying so hard to get TO the ball

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2426362 said:
Your entitled to your opinion. I think Owens is still an elite player who like most of the offense has had to deal with backup QB's who did a poor job.

Owens wasn't performing like an elite WR before Romo went down.

Arizona - 3 catches - 36 yards
Cincy - 2 catches - 67 yards
Washington - 7 catches - 71 yards
Green Bay - 2 catches - 17 yards.

Excuse coming in 3 .... 2 .... 1 ....

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2426357 said:
So, let's say if he has a one hundred yard game next week and week after, it will be due to inferior competition, right?.

If he breaks a hundred yard game next week it will be because he's a pretty good WR, Top 20 caliber, and a Top 20 caliber WR should have at least 3 or 4 100 yard games a season.

If he goes the rest of the season without a 100 yard game, I'm afraid I'll have to move him down another tier, because he might have trouble breaking 900 yards this season.

superpunk

Reaction score
I think this is one instance where you can't really look at the stats. We did alot of things to get him the ball yesterday, and his performance once he got it was woefully underwhelming. Were you ever like "Here we go TO!" and then watching him break it out? No, not really.

It looks like he's aging a bit. We are now needing to create special plays just so he can get open. it's tough to admit but I think we might be witnessing some sudden age catching to him. The guy just doesn't look quite like he used to. Still good, but not really all that dynamic.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
khiladi;2426370 said:
Andre Johnson hasn't broken 70 yards in his past 3 games and has only 2 TD to Owens 6. I guess Andre Johnson has lost a step, or maybe teams are now making more effort to try and stop him...

You keep working with that sample size of 3, and I'll keep working with my sample size of 15.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;2426383 said:
I think this is one instance where you can't really look at the stats. We did alot of things to get him the ball yesterday, and his performance once he got it was woefully underwhelming. Were you ever like "Here we go TO!" and then watching him break it out? No, not really.

It looks like he's aging a bit. We are now needing to create special plays just so he can get open. it's tough to admit but I think we might be witnessing some sudden age catching to him. The guy just doesn't look quite like he used to. Still good, but not really all that dynamic.
When's the last time we threw a ball to him deep? I don't think that's necessarily on him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2426372 said:
Owens wasn't performing like an elite WR before Romo went down.

Arizona - 3 catches - 36 yards
Cincy - 2 catches - 67 yards
Washington - 7 catches - 71 yards
Green Bay - 2 catches - 17 yards.

Excuse coming in 3 .... 2 .... 1 ....

I see you throw away the other games that dispute your point. Again you are entitled to think what you will I don't come here to look for your approval and I have been watching the game long enough to know that Owens is still a top player and did not lose his game in one year.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Garrett,Romo and Owens need to figure this out. Idon't believe Owens all of a sudden isn't a top wr anymore.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;2426386 said:
When's the last time we threw a ball to him deep? I don't think that's necessarily on him.

Is he open? Even if he was with Brad and Bollinger it didn't really matter, but still. I think everyone's eyes can see a change, whether they admit it or not. Maybe it's just a temporary thing. I'd certainly like to see that dynamic playmaker back again.

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2426384 said:
You keep working with that sample size of 3, and I'll keep working with my sample size of 15.

That's pretty laughable... COnvenient that you ignored that Wittens numbers have dramatically declined from this year and last year, as well as Patrick Crayton's... Witten isn't close to as many first downs as last year, nor is he even close to the amount of TDs... Crayton as well, isn't anywhere near the number of receptions...So is it just TO?According to your analogy, they must have lost a step as well...BTW, here is Andre Johnson's stats for you against legitimate defenses:BTW, Andre Johnson was quite impressive against:Titans 2 REC for 29 YDsJacksonville 3 REC for 38 YDSMinnesota 4 REC for 62 YDSBaltimore 7 REC for 66 YDSAnd Indy his ssecond game, he had 4 receptions for 55 yds... His first game, 9 receptions for 131 yards.. It;s quite obvious, when a team makes a legitimate effort to stop him, they do... I guess his numbers show a dramatic decline as well...

superpunk

Reaction score
YoMick;2426413 said:
McNabb was able to use TO to his strengths... it boggles my mind why we CANNOT??
I love how TO is always absolved of blame.

Oh, TO can't beat the jam?

Must be the coaching staff's fault for not putting him in motion before the snap.

Do any other superstar WRs need catered to like that? How about he just gets the **** open, and we stop worrying about manipulating our entire offense so that he can get chances?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;2426395 said:
Is he open? Even if he was with Brad and Bollinger it didn't really matter, but still. I think everyone's eyes can see a change, whether they admit it or not. Maybe it's just a temporary thing. I'd certainly like to see that dynamic playmaker back again.
I don't think we had much opportunity to get him open. Tony, before he was hurt, was running all over the place just trying not to get killed. And yesterday they didn't really test deep at all, which I think was part of the gameplan rather than him not getting open.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
khiladi;2426422 said:
That's pretty laughable... COnvenient that you ignored that Wittens numbers have dramatically declined from this year and last year, as well as Patrick Crayton's... Witten isn't close to as many first downs as last year, nor is he even close to the amount of TDs... Crayton as well, isn't anywhere near the number of receptions...So is it just TO?According to your analogy, they must have lost a step as well...BTW, here is Andre Johnson's stats for you against legitimate defenses:BTW, Andre Johnson was quite impressive against:Titans 2 REC for 29 YDsJacksonville 3 REC for 38 YDSMinnesota 4 REC for 62 YDSBaltimore 7 REC for 66 YDSAnd Indy his ssecond game, he had 4 receptions for 55 yds... His first game, 9 receptions for 131 yards.. It;s quite obvious, when a team makes a legitimate effort to stop him, they do... I guess his numbers show a dramatic decline as well...

Andre Johnson has 71 receptions for 955 yards so far this year in 10 games. So you're telling me in some games defenses tried to stop him and in other games they didn't? You mean defensive coordinators went into their team meeting some weeks and said "Let's just let that guy who's tearing up the league run free, and let's focus on Kevin Walter".

No WR in the history of the NFL has had great games every week, and I'm not asking that from TO ... ... it would just be nice if TO had 1 in his last 15.

http://img90.*************/img90/1812/10039320x240oh6.jpg

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;2426424 said:
I love how TO is always absolved of blame.

Oh, TO can't beat the jam?

Must be the coaching staff's fault for not putting him in motion before the snap.

Do any other superstar WRs need catered to like that? How about he just gets the **** open, and we stop worrying about manipulating our entire offense so that he can get chances?

If your offensive game plan is being disrupted you adjust it it's called being a good coach. FYI only one teams consistently lies up with one WR on one side and another on another and that's the Cotls.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2426435 said:
Andre Johnson has 71 receptions for 955 yards so far this year. So in those other games, teams didn't try to stop him?

No WR in the history of the NFL has had great games every week ... it would just be nice if TO had one this year.

TO will finish the season with 1300 yards .

superpunk

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2426436 said:
If your offensive game plan is being disrupted you adjust it it's called being a good coach. FYI only one teams consistently lies up with one WR on one side and another on another and that's the Cotls.

I think I like where this is going.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2426438 said:
TO will finish the season with 1300 yards .

I hope you're right, for all our sakes.

He needs to average 150 yards per game from here on out.

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2426435 said:
Andre Johnson has 71 receptions for 955 yards so far this year in 10 games. So you're telling me in some games defenses tried to stop him and in other games they didn't?

No WR in the history of the NFL has had great games every week, and I'm not asking that from TO ... ... it would just be nice if TO had 1 in his last 15.

http://img90.*************/img90/1812/10039320x240oh6.jpg

You mean teams didn't try employing new packages against TO during this game that they didn't do before? Last time I checked, Green Bay and Washington came with a blueprint on how to stop TO...Once again, in the last four games, Andre Johnson's numbers have declined. They declined dramatically, the second time they played the Colts. Andre Johnson didn't play awe-inspiring against any legitimate defense...It is obvious that ANJ can be taken out of a game, when a team makes an effort to, just like they do with TO...And again, you ignored the key:"That's pretty laughable... COnvenient that you ignored that Wittens numbers have dramatically declined from this year and last year, as well as Patrick Crayton's... Witten isn't close to as many first downs as last year, nor is he even close to the amount of TDs... Crayton as well, isn't anywhere near the number of receptions...So is it just TO?"