"300" kicks arse!

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I am seeing it tonight... been looking foward to it for awhile now.

It is also my bday so hopefully its a nice "gift."

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Just got back from the theatre...

Going again on sunday. I need a day to rest. Seriously, its that good.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty bad ***.

My friend who is a history buff said it was pretty historically accurate minus 1 thing... the 300 men actually stayed behind from the orginal army after they retreated (if anyone cares for the accuracy).

calico

Reaction score
I have a free ticket to it so I will check it out this week.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Going to see it in a couple hours.

This is madness!

w00t!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
smarta5150;1414260 said:

My friend who is a history buff said it was pretty historically accurate minus 1 thing... the 300 men actually stayed behind from the orginal army after they retreated (if anyone cares for the accuracy).

I would like to know more about their training methods, that was an awesome movie. I feel like finishing a battle...:D

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
smarta5150;1414260 said:

Everything I can find says the oppsite...

http://www.yasou.org/king_leonidas.htm Sparta, another city-state, yet Greek by blood, was absolutely a militaristic society. She personified DUTY-HONOR-COUNTRY. Mothers would tell their sons "bring your shield home or be on it." King Leonidas, a Spartan, had agreed to help stop the invading Persians, and took 300 hand picked troops plus 1000 helots (citizen soldiers) and marched to Thermopylae on the North coast of Greece. Leonidas would have taken far more soldiers except for a religious holiday that apparently was more important. On the way to Thermopylae he picked-up about 7000 more troops as had been preplanned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonidas_I In 480 the ephors sent Leonidas with the 300 men of an all-sire unit (soldiers who had sons to carry on their bloodline) and 6700 allies to hold the pass of Thermopylae against the hundreds of thousands of Persian soldiers who had invaded from the north of Greece under Xerxes. According to contemporary accounts Leonidas took only a small force comprised by his personal fighting unit, because Sparta's religious customs did not allow to send out an army at this time of the year. In addition, he was deliberately going to his doom: an oracle had foretold that Sparta could be saved only by the death of one of its kings, one of the lineage of Hercules. Instead it seems likely that the ephors supported the plan half-heartedly due to the festival of Carneia and their policy of concentrating the Greek forces at the Isthmus of Corinth.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
jksmith269;1415486 said:

Not doubting the validity of what you are saying as I know absolutely nothing about the events in question but no one should ever use Wikipedia as a source of fact.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
jksmith269;1415486 said:

In the Battle of Thermopylae of 480 BC, an alliance of Greek city-states fought the invading Persian army at the pass of Thermopylae in central Greece. Vastly outnumbered, the Greeks held back the invader in one of history's most famous last stands. A small force led by King Leonidas of Sparta blocked the only road through which the massive army of Xerxes I could pass. After three days of battle, a local resident named Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks by revealing a mountain path that led behind the Greek lines. Dismissing the rest of the army, King Leonidas stayed behind with 300 Spartans and 700 Thespian volunteers. T Though they knew it meant their own deaths, they held their position and secured the retreat of the other Greek forces. The Persians succeeded in taking the pass but sustained heavy losses, extremely disproportionate to those of the Greeks. The fierce resistance of the Spartan-led army offered Athens the invaluable time to prepare for a decisive naval battle.[1] The subsequent Greek victory at the Battle of Salamis left much of the Persian navy destroyed and Xerxes was forced to retreat back to Asia, leaving his army in Greece under Mardonius, who was to meet the Greeks in battle one last time. The Spartans assembled at full strength and led a pan-Greek army that defeated the Persians decisively at the Battle of Plataea, ending the Greco-Persian War and with it Persian expansion into Europe.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Accurate or not it still kicked arse :D

If I wanted accurate I'd watch the history channel. :D

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
smarta5150;1415619 said:
In the Battle of Thermopylae of 480 BC, an alliance of Greek city-states fought the invading Persian army at the pass of Thermopylae in central Greece. Vastly outnumbered, the Greeks held back the invader in one of history's most famous last stands. A small force led by King Leonidas of Sparta blocked the only road through which the massive army of Xerxes I could pass. After three days of battle, a local resident named Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks by revealing a mountain path that led behind the Greek lines. Dismissing the rest of the army, King Leonidas stayed behind with 300 Spartans and 700 Thespian volunteers. T Though they knew it meant their own deaths, they held their position and secured the retreat of the other Greek forces. The Persians succeeded in taking the pass but sustained heavy losses, extremely disproportionate to those of the Greeks. The fierce resistance of the Spartan-led army offered Athens the invaluable time to prepare for a decisive naval battle.[1] The subsequent Greek victory at the Battle of Salamis left much of the Persian navy destroyed and Xerxes was forced to retreat back to Asia, leaving his army in Greece under Mardonius, who was to meet the Greeks in battle one last time. The Spartans assembled at full strength and led a pan-Greek army that defeated the Persians decisively at the Battle of Plataea, ending the Greco-Persian War and with it Persian expansion into Europe.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Correct he only went there with 300 Spartans the Council wouldn't let the rest of the SPARTAN armies go due to the time of the year. So he took only 300 SPARTAN troops.... The rest where made up of other military factions. and only after the mountain pass was found out did the other troops flee but he with his 300 stayed...

Now look at the line underlined...

locked&loaded

Reaction score
i had read the comic but this movie did not live up to the hype. the action was great but the rest was just meh. 7/10

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
ok who wants to fight? that movie was awesome.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
There is a really good 2004 documentary produced by the BBC and Lion Television Productions.

"The Spartans" is sometimes shown on PBS, but the 3 hour DVD is well worth the roughly $20 price.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Going to see this at the IMAX this evening.

I'm not necessarily a history buff, but i had read about this particular battle before, and was aware of this before the movie. In Greece, this is still an important history lesson for students there.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1415630 said:
If I wanted accurate I'd watch the history channel. :D

Not even the history channel is accurate;)